Blu-ray format sales disappointing so far

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 00:29:22
    Blu-ray players could top the Christmas list, but the format has a long way to go, according to the Guardian.

And just when half way through the Band of Brothers box set it finally sort of 'clicked' as to the difference in quality. The justifiable difference.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 00:36:19
    One challenge has been that people can buy an "upscaling" DVD player - which will make an ordinary DVD played on a high-definition TV appear to fill the screen.

That's what they do? Really?

The way they jump around with their statistics is also strange; mentioning one region in one part and then a different time period and year somewhere else, given the story is in relation to now, I fail to see the relevance of many of their stats dating back to 2007. It's like they're trying to make them fit the story they've decided on. They've managed to do it in such a way that sales do look very poor when they really aren't anywhere near as bad.
  • warlockuk 26 Dec 2009 00:36:44 19,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    *yawn*

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 26 December 2009 00:42:51
    /prods warlock with a pointy stick
  • Gland 26 Dec 2009 01:04:41 78,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Guardian seems to delight in taking every opportunity to have a dig at Sony.

J'approve!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Raiko101 26 Dec 2009 01:28:13 6,413 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've still not got a Blu-ray player and still don't feel like i'm missing anything.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 26 December 2009 01:52:14
    You're not. It's a nice little gadget and if you have a good tv the difference is noticeable, whether that difference justifies the change for some people is questionable though.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 01:54:37
    It's only questionable if you're poor, have poor eyesight and/or don't watch many films.
  • Trane 26 Dec 2009 01:54:40 4,056 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Pointless, just like HDTVs are pointless.

Profound.
  • Trane 26 Dec 2009 01:56:48 4,056 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What about upscaled DVDs?
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 02:01:41
    Yes, people wouldn't need a higher resolution if they stuck to small screens. People want bigger screens because they're affordable and are now small enough (thin enough) to not take up half a room.

Upscaled just makes the picture fit a larger screen according to the Guardian article so they won't help :p. An upscaled DVD is like listening to a low bitrate MP3 that someone has then fiddled with the equaliser to make it sound a bit better - it's better but still has obvious problems.
  • mcmonkeyplc 26 Dec 2009 04:03:44 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm staying at my parents over Xmas and I bought my xbox with me. I thought I'd just play on my small monitor/tv in SD as my brother is using the VGA cable for his xbox.

Fuck me it looks disgusting in SD! Before today I thought thr phrase meant nothing but once you go HD you DONT go back!

I now have the VGA cable and my brother will use component for HD input instead.

Quite a traumatic experience this SD crap.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• EmiliasHorse 26 Dec 2009 07:35:01 290 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Once you have Sky HD, Blu-Ray and a treasured HD-DVD drive plugged into a 1080p TV you find yourself avoiding non HD when channel surfing.

Is it really that much better?

Yes.
  • Genji 26 Dec 2009 07:41:27 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Quite a traumatic experience this SD crap.
    ...really?
  • wayneh 26 Dec 2009 07:58:03 2,371 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As above the price of BD is shocking. One good thing though is a lot of them are region free making them easy to import. As for the quality, yes it is noticable but not as big a jump from VHS to DVD.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• JoeBlade 26 Dec 2009 07:59:19 2,584 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    We were chatting about this at work the other day actually. The difference in quality isn't the issue, its the price. 17 for Tarantino's misspelt latest on BD, under a tenner on DVD., is a big difference, especially when a lot of people remember re-buying all their favourite on DVD to replace their VHS collection.

Personally, we've got a BD player but only have half a dozen films my missus has been given free. I refuse to buy good looking films unless they're good films :)
    This.

I've not bought a single BD film simply because I do not think *any* film is worth more than five euros. I can easily afford it, that's not the problem, but I cannot imagine watching even one flick a sufficient number of times to justify paying 20 euros. I'd rather buy it lower quality and get a couple of beers to get along with it for the same price, thank you very much :)

The industry really hasn't though this one through; DVD price over VHS was justified because the medium offered a plethora of advantages. Not so with BD however, better quality is the one and only thing you get...
  • Retroid Moderator 26 Dec 2009 09:17:56 44,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting Sky HD has effectively buggered any chances of me getting any more BRs.
  • otto Moderator 26 Dec 2009 10:06:38 49,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Law of diminishing returns, innit? Lots of reasons why people aren't too keen on blu-ray:

(1) it's obviously a transitional technology so why spend big money on something you won't use in two or three years' time?

(2) is the visual quality really that much better than DVD? Really I couldn't give a shit, good films were good films when I watched them on our crappy old black and white telly that took five minutes to warm up; a shit film on blu-ray is just a more expensive shit film.

Really I wish the industry would start investing a bit more in the quality of the FILMS and a bit less in the quality of the visuals. People will buy blu-ray when there's a compelling reason to do so not just because the industry tells them it's the latest expensive upgrade they *must have*.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• zErOb_cOOl 26 Dec 2009 10:16:01 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Law of diminishing returns, innit? Lots of reasons why people aren't too keen on blu-ray:

(1) it's obviously a transitional technology so why spend big money on something you won't use in two or three years' time?

(2) is the visual quality really that much better than DVD? Really I couldn't give a shit, good films were good films when I watched them on our crappy old black and white telly that took five minutes to warm up; a shit film on blu-ray is just a more expensive shit film.

Really I wish the industry would start investing a bit more in the quality of the FILMS and a bit less in the quality of the visuals. People will buy blu-ray when there's a compelling reason to do so not just because the industry tells them it's the latest expensive upgrade they *must have*.

'Said.
  • Retroid Moderator 26 Dec 2009 10:22:35 44,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The great thing about HD is that it makes things on modern LCDs look as good as SD stuff did on old CRTs :)
  • warlockuk 26 Dec 2009 10:24:42 19,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    /prods warlock with a pointy stick
    Alright, alright! I'll get up and go to Richer Sounds for this FECKING Blu-Ray player.

Then at least I can watch the BSG box set the girlfriend got me for my birthday...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Tomo 26 Dec 2009 10:28:02 13,945 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I've still not got a Blu-ray player and still don't feel like i'm missing anything.

Aye, same for me. DVDs are much cheapness now too.
  • effinjamie 26 Dec 2009 10:59:45 891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    me too, also I'm reluctant too invest in another format that isn't going to last, leaving me with movies I need to keep a player for to watch, (Looks at cellar which has over 500 VHS Tapes)

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Deleted user 26 December 2009 11:06:46
    Why plan 10-15 years ahead when it comes to electronics products? You'll end up never getting any of them, unless that is your intention. The rate new things come out now means you'll constantly be waiting for what's next, leading to a life of unfulfilled hopes and dreams.
  • otto Moderator 26 Dec 2009 11:10:26 49,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    10-15 years?? HD streaming is already here! I honestly think you'd have to be a mug to invest in bluray today.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Benno 26 Dec 2009 11:12:15 10,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blu ray audio is better as well, dont forget. At uni we had the new star trek on blu ray and dvd and apart from the visuals, the blu ray sounded a lot better on our sound system
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 11:15:11
    You mean the HD streaming that's at a far lower resolution and quality or the HD streaming that takes several hours to buffer because the internet infrastructure is nowhere near good enough in the UK to allow it to work properly?

Given that an HD (720p +) film is upwards of 20Gig over around 2 hours, that's a pretty impressive net you have there.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2009 11:22:53
    They aren't very good rips then: you have downscaled versions of the original film which will be closer to an upscaled DVD in quality.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous