Android App and Game Review Thread Page 2

• Page

of 95 First / Last

• myiagros 7 Apr 2010 14:45:20 1,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been using an app called Tasker for the last few days to manage turning on/off my apn & wifi based on various criteria, an to turn on my apn for short periods of time to sync my mail.

It will alow you to set up custom behaviours and setting for all sorts of different scenarios.

It's still in beta, so not yet available on the market, but you can download it from the developers site.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

Apperntly it will also work with Locale plugins, which i might try out later.
  • Alastair 7 Apr 2010 15:06:47 16,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    W00t!! Page 2.

Where's coastal...?
  • rutter 7 Apr 2010 15:08:28 1,919 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, how do I get the EG podcast into my google listen subscription?
    It doesn't show up in search and as far as I can see there's no way to manually add a RSS feed??

edit: scrap that - I'm a retard. You can manually add under 'add subscription' - doh!
  • coastal 7 Apr 2010 15:14:04 5,384 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm here. It's been a hard slog guys but you did it.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Alastair 7 Apr 2010 15:39:14 16,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /pulls party popper and chucks a few peanuts around

I'm reminded of Neil's birthday party in the Young Ones.
  • terminalterror 19 Apr 2010 00:21:46 18,937 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just discovered a superb app called droidlive (I'm using the lite version) which is a shoutcast app, i.e. it lets you access all the shoutcast internet radio stations (i.e. a metric fuckton of streaming radio stations, loads of which don't have any adverts!), and it is very slickly put together as well, much more attractive and easy to use than streamfurious, another app with similar functionality. Actually, it is one of the slickest apps of any kind I've seen on Android so far.

It plays nicely in the background, with now playing info (clickable to get to the app) in the notification bar.

The only thing it seems to lack that some other streaming radio apps have is a bandwidth counter, which I suppose would be useful if you were using it on 3G, but then there are other bandwidth counter apps.

edit: Droidlive has just updated and is now xiialive. Much weirder name. Also starting a very worrying trend, as the app is actually ".xiialive.", so it appears first alphabetically on your launcher. It won't be long till loads of apps start doing that. Google should prevent it in their next update.
  • MoFo 19 Apr 2010 00:47:00 276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gonna chip in with my fav apps & games:

Games:
    Gem Miner - decent enough fun until you realise that the mine might just possibly go on for ever!
    UniWar - if you like Advanced Wars then give this a shot.
    Droid Mini Golf - I love crazy golf!
    Space Physics - physics stuff
    S American Conquest (and all the others by this guy) - a kinda risk like game.
    Archipelago - a simple concept but I just can't stop playing it even though I'm at the point of being able to predict what the AI will do every time!
    Dock It! - dock your space cargo ships in to the space station.

Apps:
    Easy Money - for keeping track of your expenses.
    Tube Droid - for downloading youtube stuff
    Hungry - for making shopping lists. I would always forget something when out at Tescos but now I never do - hoorah!
    CoPilot Live - for SatNav
    Easy Note - for jotting down ideas and ToDos. Nice visual style and can set reminders. Again its quick and easy to use. Many of the ToDo apps are just too fiddly.
    Pkt Auctions - for ebay stuff
    National Rail - for live train times and journey planning.
    GDocs - for writting docs and syncing them with Google docs
    Last.FM - for finding bands I didn't know about. Type a band you like and let it play tracks from similar artists. Probably other apps that do similar stuff to this.
    PrinterShare - print a file from your phone to your printer over wifi. Some people have issues with this so make sure to try the demo first. Oh yeah and you need a printer with wifi.
    Thermometer - to see how many jumpers I need to put on before I go out.
    Voice Pad - speak in to your phone and it'll transcribe it. You can then email, copy or SMS the transcripted text.
    Wapedia - when you fancy browsing the Wiki.
  • Kid_Icarus 26 Apr 2010 16:25:26 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Train Times UK Free - Pretty self explanatory, but it works better than the various websites. It even has a journey planner. There's a paid for version without ads but I don't see it being a problem.

Shopsavvy - Another free app that scans barcodes and tells you the cheapest prices online and in local shops.

Beeb player is basically iplayer and would be awesome if it actually worked properly. For some reason it stopped playing after 5 mins and 7 seconds on every program, and after an update it now stops after 8 mins and 12 seconds. Progress bar keeps going though. Weird stuff.
  • LFMartins 30 Apr 2010 21:57:10 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone using the SkyFire 2.0 beta? I just love the Flash video feature, the image quality isnīt the best but it works real well.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2010 13:53:08
    Zenonia is damn fine if you haven't already played the iPhone version (which is identical).

Bit pricey (I think it's something like $6.99), but great fun - http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Zenonia/review.asp?c=20288
  • TakeTheVeil 3 May 2010 14:13:32 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone used the GrooveShark app for Android?

I'm thinking of picking up a Desire for that alone..
  • jellyhead 3 May 2010 14:41:52 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just had a look and it's only for VIP members, $30 per year. Never used GS any good?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• terminalterror 3 May 2010 17:38:20 18,937 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not quite the same thing as Grooveshark, but Xiialive is a very slick and capable internet radio player.

It uses shoutcast, so you don't get customised radio stations, but you do get access to a fuckton of non-customised ones, many of them without any adverts whatsoever.

It also lets you play non-shoutcast listed .pls streams that are mp3 or aacplus.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2010 17:42:53
    Been using home-screen-replacement SlideScreen for a while now, and I'd recommend it. It's quite slick and fast and it has a nice clock.
  • StixxUK 3 May 2010 20:30:47 7,263 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    It doesn't show up in search and as far as I can see there's no way to manually add a RSS feed??

edit: scrap that - I'm a retard. You can manually add under 'add subscription' - doh!
    I'm actually struggling getting Google Listen to work - clearly I'm doing something wrong but I'm damned if I can fix it. I click on a link for a podcast which takes me to an itunes page. Within the itunes page though I can't find the link to the feed that I'd need to put into Listen. Any ideas?
  • TakeTheVeil 3 May 2010 21:27:14 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I just had a look and it's only for VIP members, $30 per year. Never used GS any good?

Yeah, the free browser version is good.

It's like spotify but with radio and the like too.

I'd definitely pay $3 a month to at least see how it works on Android.

There's a massive catalog of free music there.
  • burns 4 May 2010 14:42:40 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno if this has been mentioned before but Zenonia is a cracking RPG in the old-skool Zelda mould.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2010 21:26:24
    Hey, I mentioned that literally 7 posts above!

(It's really good and deserving of a bump)
  • Whizzo 7 May 2010 21:29:35 43,187 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    YoshiMcTaggis wrote:
    Air Control is a great (ad supported or paid for) clone of the iPhone ATC thingy.
    Started playing this today, it really is rather good, the online leaderboard scores are pretty insane though.

/hides score

This space left intentionally blank.

• rutter 9 May 2010 19:25:35 1,919 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    rutter wrote:

I'm actually struggling getting Google Listen to work - clearly I'm doing something wrong but I'm damned if I can fix it. I click on a link for a podcast which takes me to an itunes page. Within the itunes page though I can't find the link to the feed that I'd need to put into Listen. Any ideas?

It's basically an rss reader. So, you need the rss link. A url ending in .xml or .rss.
    I don't know how you get that from iTunes though :(
  • Deleted user 10 May 2010 21:00:08
    My fave apps:
    AppBrain - great way of seeing what apps are popular
    ASBOrometer - ever wondered how many crack houses had been raided in your area?
    c:geo - great geocaching app
    Earth - it's google earth innit
    fring - Skype on the move
    Google goggles - absolutely mental app
    Layar - augmented reality app. Even used it once or twice when I haven't been showing off the phone
    LogMeIn - control your PC from your phone
    Google maps - StreetView from your phone!
    NewsRoom - best RSS reader IMO
    OI Shopping List - saves me writing stuff down on that paper stuff
    The Shwarz - turn your phone into a light sabre
    WiFi Analyzer - has helped me solve WiFi problems many a time

Widgets:
    Astrid - for me to make to-do lists to guility ignore
    BatteryLeft - invaluable widget to tell you how long your battery will last.
    Urban dictionary - so I can understand what the yoof are on about
    Word of The Day - coz I is educatted
    aCurrency - insta pound/euro knowledge
    +calendars and the like

Games:
    Cribbage Pro - I love cribbage. What?
    Robo Defence - i love tower defence games
  • Trowel 12 May 2010 21:56:45 17,905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there and Android radio app that can pick up MW?

/addicted to 5Live
  • jellyhead 12 May 2010 22:06:57 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think beebplayer allows you to stream 5Live now. There was some problem due to licensing of the sports they broadcast but i think that's been cleared up now.

A quick google also found mention of an app called Radiotime, might be worth a look.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Trowel 12 May 2010 22:41:42 17,905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    A quick google also found mention of an app called Radiotime, might be worth a look.
    Radiotime looks perfect, cheers. Also seems to pick up some DAB stations.
  • Whatsfor 13 May 2010 15:36:39 2,189 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm copying this from the Android group thread for the masses:

Whack-a-zombie

Can people kindly downloads this app and rate it highly :)

The game is made by my missus' brother and is pretty good/catchy for his first proper game. If it gets enough downloads he will add leaderboards, and new game modes (time trial etc.).

There is a known force close issue with HTC Desire, Legend and Incredible. This has already been fixed (tried on my Desire + the missus' Legend) but i'm not sure if he has put the new APK on the store yet (pretty sure he has).

So, once again, download and 5 stars please!

Link.

Also any suggestions on here will be passed on.
  • StixxUK 14 May 2010 09:37:47 7,263 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone using the Cyanogen mod on a G1? Just read this article about it and it sounds amazing.
  • crashVoodoo 14 May 2010 10:32:11 3,963 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    apndroid - can fully disable data on your phone. used with 3g watchdog can disable data when you hit a pecentage limit.
    3g watchdog - counts up all 3g usage and alerts you when you near the limit.
    dropbox - desktop sync software just get an android app \o/
    eurogamer - nuff said
    google listen - podcasts
    newsrob - google reader app. works brilliantly when setup correctly
    sms backup - backs sms up to gmail account. setup and forget
    tapatalk - forum reader
    timeriffic - changes phone profiles based on time (silent @ night etc)
    xiialive - shoutcast streaming app - will go through data quickly

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Page

of 95 First / Last