Android App and Game Review Thread Page 73

• Page

of 97 First / Last

• StixxUK 12 May 2013 20:47:30 7,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone know if there's a way to cancel push updates? I already manually updated my software to Jellybean but I seem to have received a push update in the last couple of days anyway. I can't see any way to cancel it, only to postpone!

Don't really fancy reinstalling my OS for no reason :/
  • mrpon 12 May 2013 21:14:33 29,390 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Long shot, but try Settings - About Device - Software Update.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• crashVoodoo 13 May 2013 03:45:08 3,973 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Anyone know if there's a way to cancel push updates? I already manually updated my software to Jellybean but I seem to have received a push update in the last couple of days anyway. I can't see any way to cancel it, only to postpone!

Don't really fancy reinstalling my OS for no reason :/
    Are you sure its the same update and not a smaller follow up fix?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• YenRug 13 May 2013 11:37:02 2,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Google "Live" on its way:

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/android/55173-google-play-games-rival-ios-game-centre/
  • Folant 15 May 2013 10:48:06 1,504 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PowerToggles is so good. Was disappointed with the default toggle widget, couldn't put it in the notification menu(why is that not standard?), but now that app makes it all ok. Even saved an icon space on my...desktop, or whatever it's called on android due to copyright from Apple.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• crispyduckman 15 May 2013 11:40:17 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    PowerToggles is so good. Was disappointed with the default toggle widget, couldn't put it in the notification menu(why is that not standard?)...
    It is standard in Android 4.2 in a manner of speaking - the quick settings toggles.

I use an AOKP 4.2.2 ROM where toggles can be added or removed and each one is customisable. The quick settings toggles drop down instead of the notifications if I swipe down from the top right.

AOKP is insane. If you're tech competent, it just crushes standard Android.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• crispyduckman 15 May 2013 12:17:51 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I expect this has already been mentioned in this thread by someone else but I recently deleted the Facebook app from my Android phone (I've kept the Facebook Messenger app and use HaxSync though) and I get around DOUBLE the battery life from my phone.

Prior to deleting the app, I could just about get a full day's use with moderate use (Facebook set to never refresh and location off). Now, at the end of the day I have between 40% and 60% charge left. That's 40% battery left after heavy use! This blows my mind. What the hell is wrong with that app?

• Alastair 15 May 2013 12:42:03 16,245 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting - is it checking for updates so often...?
    Wonder if it would be possible to do something in Tasker so that it disables the FB app for 55 mins out of every hour...? Might make a difference.

Thing is, I use FB quite a bit so wouldn't want to remove it. I'm too addicted to seeing which of my friends posts an inspirational pic next!
  • crispyduckman 15 May 2013 12:55:12 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know what it was doing. I thought location off and never refresh would be good enough to stop it doing anything. Apparently not. It would be good to know if there's a workaround or something. A lot of phones won't even let you delete the FB app without root access.

• Alastair 15 May 2013 12:59:36 16,245 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't delete the Twitter app... :(
  • D_arkTrooper 15 May 2013 16:37:12 1,330 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I noticed a few months back that the FaceBook app ass-raped my S3 battery. Glad I'm not the only one.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• crispyduckman 15 May 2013 16:52:39 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I might try Fast, which I think is developed by some guys at XDA precisely because the official app was so crap.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.fastfacebook.com

• Jono62 15 May 2013 18:27:29 14,245 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crispyduckman Thanks for the link. The fast app is so much better than that official Facebook shite.
  • eleven63 15 May 2013 19:29:58 1,622 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ditched "Facebook" app for Fast, way better (less of a hog, etc).

Also love the fact that as Google announce updates to their apps at the I/O conference, they become available almost straight away!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Steve_Perry 16 May 2013 15:53:43 4,927 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The original Sonic the Hedgehog is coming out today. With time attack and extra characters. About bloody time its been on IOS forever.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• StixxUK 16 May 2013 16:56:01 7,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a non ad version of fast?
  • eleven63 16 May 2013 18:12:40 1,622 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StixxUK yes, think it costs about 1.60 click on the link supplied via the ad version on the play store app, redirects you to the Play web site - hope that makes sense!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Deleted user 16 May 2013 18:53:44
    I deleted Facebook and installed Fast after reading above yesterday. Then I realised that notifications weren't working, so installed notifications for Fast. Then I missed my widgets for Facebook, so I installed Widgets For Fast. Today my battery has been just as bad, if not worse than before. My Note 2 is usually on around 50-60% when I arrive home from work (12 hours since charge). My phone usage is around the same each day as we can't really use our phones in work, so I only use it in the morning, toilet (smartphone shit breaks), and dinner hour, plus a few sneaky peeks through the day. Today, after using Fast, with notifications and widgets it was on 45% when I got home. So, I've uninstalled and just put Facebook back on. One program, instead of the 3. Each to their own though, was worth a try!
  • Tonka 17 May 2013 07:11:24 21,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, the new Hangouts thing is rather nice. But I'd like it if it sent plain old vanilla SMS as well.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• crispyduckman 17 May 2013 08:01:15 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Nipples Psychologically, 3 apps instead of 1 is weird. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be more battery/resource intensive. Although, I don't know if there is a difference. I have only compared my phone with FB and without FB (not with Fast).

I take it you have root access or could somehow otherwise fully uninstall FB? What did your battery stats tell you? My issue with FB was that even if I disabled updates etc and never used the app, it still consistently showed up in my stats as the most power hungry list item. My battery went from always dying at or before bedtime to having up to 60% left (although usually around 40%).

From what I hear, the Note 2 has pretty good battery life. If I didn't have the problem of my phone dying before the end of the day, I'd probably stick with FB anyway.

• StixxUK 17 May 2013 09:05:55 7,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Having replaced fb with fast (kept messenger and haven't installed the additional fast notifications stuff), it seems like the battery is a lot better. This is however based on fuck all actual statistics and hasn't been tested for any decent length of time!

Edit: also worth pointing out that I can't find any functionality for events in the app...

Edited by StixxUK at 14:37:11 17-05-2013
  • estoo 17 May 2013 15:02:37 2,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just wasted an afternoon in work to New Star Soccer.

It's bloody brilliant!
  • pauleyc 18 May 2013 08:03:54 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neat. Light Flow just got an update that introduced a mandatory notification icon when running in the foreground. The interesting thing is that it was supposedly requested by Google as required by a new upcoming version of Android; that would confirm the rumours about 4.3 being released soon.
  • monkehhh 18 May 2013 11:19:30 3,472 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if it's any good, but the Amazon app of the day thingy is an offline map app - might be good if you're off on your jollies?
  • crispyduckman 18 May 2013 11:59:51 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @pauleyc Do you mean background? The notification icon is the "proper" way to keep apps running constantly in the background. That's been part of the guidelines for a while, although many apps have been ignoring it.

• pauleyc 18 May 2013 14:04:03 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @crispyduckman

You're right, a foreground service indeed must provide a notification icon. Maybe Light Flow's implementation was not strictly according to rules; it would certainly explain why the app sometimes failed :-)
  • Tonka 19 May 2013 21:10:06 21,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    World of Goo is on sale and has added the new achievements thing.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TVoJ 20 May 2013 18:32:26 2,027 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't be reading through the whole thread.

Whats the best ebook reader? mainly want to view comics but would also use for books.

I always used CD display on PC but cant find an android version.
  • Murbs 20 May 2013 18:56:53 22,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ALDIKO is good for books.
  • Maturin 20 May 2013 19:48:17 3,148 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You can now also add your own books and documents to the official Google Books app.
  • Page

of 97 First / Last