Android App and Game Review Thread Page 71

• Page

of 93 First / Last

• YenRug 1 May 2013 14:27:54 2,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rhythm Use Kies, I've never tried to do an OTA update at all, especially as it ended up taking around 2 hours to carry out the upgrade. No idea what was going on, whether it was downloading and just being really slow, or if it had a conflict and couldn't send the data to the phone properly; when it did reboot, however, that part went very quickly.
  • Murbal 1 May 2013 14:37:03 22,083 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having used Kies for my ICS upgrade on S2 I'd rather go the more traditional route and wait for it to be pushed to my phone.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 16:02:18
    @YenRug Thanks, updated just now. Ballache over Kies but I've been waiting for ever so better than nothing. Word of warning to other Note users though, it might be indexing in the background now or something but I Note is slow as shit now. To the point of unusable :/
  • PenguinJim 1 May 2013 16:09:28 5,834 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've heard that JB on the Note 1 can be a bit slow, but can possibly be fixed by: turning the Note off and on (duh) ; factory reset (uhh...) ; switching off Google Now.

(Edit: if switching it off and on doesn't work, I recommend disabling Google Now rather than factory resetting! ;))

Edited by PenguinJim at 16:10:05 01-05-2013
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 16:24:07
    Google Now is the only reason I wanted JB!

Holy fuck updating to JB somehow just resulted in me getting 50GB storage for free on Dropbox! Fucking delighted. Think it is only for two years but as I use it all the time that is awesome.
  • YenRug 1 May 2013 17:19:46 2,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mowgli I've not had any problems, so far, in fact I'm finding it's a lot more responsive than it was before the update.
  • YenRug 1 May 2013 17:22:50 2,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Google Now is the only reason I wanted JB!

Holy fuck updating to JB somehow just resulted in me getting 50GB storage for free on Dropbox! Fucking delighted. Think it is only for two years but as I use it all the time that is awesome.
    Is Google Now part of their "social" tools? If so, I have absolutely no use for it; whilst I like Android and often use things like Google Maps and YouTube, I have zero interest in Google+. The only reason I have a Google+ account is because they forced you to have one so you could leave reviews on Google Play.
  • Tonka 1 May 2013 19:04:20 20,222 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Google now isn't Google +

Is their stab at a virtual assistant.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 1 May 2013 19:30:42
    Fucking Samsung. In what world is hold finger on screen and rotate phone and acceptable substitute for a lockscreen camera button.

Edited by mowgli at 19:31:01 01-05-2013
  • crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:32:32 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think I've ever had Google Now tell me anything useful automatically. Most of the time when I ask it to do something, I regret not just doing it the traditional way. Does anyone use it regularly for anything?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:34:53 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Fucking Samsung. In what world is hold finger on screen and rotate phone and acceptable substitute for a lockscreen camera button.
    Jesus, that's hilarious. The Android 4.2 lockscreen is a pretty compelling reason on it's own to switch to a custom ROM.

• cheeky_prawnking 1 May 2013 19:35:51 4,457 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My partner and I booked a hotel for a show we are going to under her chrome log in, with a few minutes Google now was telling her how to get to the hotel without asking.
  • crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:41:29 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @cheeky_prawnking It does that type of stuff after scanning Gmail receipts etc. I think. I don't use Gmail though. It tried to tell me how long it would take me to drive home once. Pretty unhelpful as I was travelling by tube.

• crashVoodoo 1 May 2013 19:45:25 3,878 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    I don't think I've ever had Google Now tell me anything useful automatically. Most of the time when I ask it to do something, I regret not just doing it the traditional way. Does anyone use it regularly for anything?
    It routinely tells me what the traffic is like on my drive to work and do I need to go via A1 or M1 to get there fastest.

I catch up on NHL scores for bruins and capitals as it post those up for me each morning.

Last month it even told me that I'd done quite a bit of cycling and walking.  Go me!

It also just reminded me about my flight on Friday and hour hotel reservations prior.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• cheeky_prawnking 1 May 2013 19:46:39 4,457 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mine does public transport add I don't drive, tells me how long home or to the pub, when at my partners, how long to the supermarket, her mum and dads. Seems to be a good basis for something better in the future.
  • crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:49:27 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair enough. I guess it just doesn't like me.

Edit: I do totally appreciate that it's an essential technology that'll just keep getting better though.

Edited by crispyduckman at 19:50:31 01-05-2013

• Deleted user 1 May 2013 21:39:38
    That's pretty much the thing about Google Now. You won't use it...at first. But then it will learn your routine, your likes etc. Next thing it will pop up 20 minutes before you're due to leave for work suggesting a navigation route as there is traffic building up on your normal route. I work in Trafford Park, a large industrial part of Manchester, so this helps me massively now. Next thing it's telling me when the football is starting. I also book hotels for work a lot, and it tells me how long to get there, and checks the traffic for me ahead of the journey automatically. It jut gets better and better. You don't have to do anything...it's just there...doing it's job silently, and only alerts you if necessary, or you want it to.
  • Dougs 1 May 2013 22:15:46 67,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting the right arse hole with Poweramp. Lovely app but routinely fails to verify with the server meaning it won't play. Claims only to verify once, but that's bollocks. Frustrating.

Any other decent recommendations? I love you the lockscreen widget on Poweramp and it plays everything.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 May 2013 22:17:43 37,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So does Google Now actually pop up on screen automatically? Maybe I should start using it...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Dougs 1 May 2013 22:30:48 67,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine is a bit random. Sometimes tells me useful shit the others less so. Appears as notifications.
  • Folant 1 May 2013 22:47:27 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What's the best app to get notifications up on the screen when you get a text, whatsapp, kik, etc? Like on ios.

Saw that handcent is pretty popular, but one of the permisions is to send messages. Is that normal?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Jono62 1 May 2013 22:53:14 14,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used Pansi sms on my DHD which someone recommended on here which is a good text app. All text apps have that on them. If it does need to send a text it will ask permission before doing so.

@crashVoodoo I used diceplayer and it didn't play all. mkv files. Correction, it did play the visual just occasionally not the audio.

Edited by Jono62 at 22:55:04 01-05-2013
  • crispyduckman 1 May 2013 23:15:10 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Folant I think it's under "Quick Reply" in the setting on the standard SMS app on my version of Android 4.2.2. Not a fan of it myself so I keep it disabled. I do use the SMS extension in Dashclock on my lockscreen though.

Also, I presume all SMS apps need the permission to send messages.

• Salaman 2 May 2013 16:34:39 18,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    I did a search for an address a while ago whilst I was in the office (from Chrome, whilst logged in with my profile.
    When I was on the go after, google now had added a card with directions to that address.

So now I don't write stuff down if I have to go somehwere for the first time. I just make sure I look for it on google maps from my desktop and then once i'm on the go I check through google now for directions and live traffic info.

Other than that it just gives me the weather, a "you should leave now if you want to make your next appointment in time" warning and a "X time to get home from your current location" card moast of the time.

None of which are terribly useful.
  • Salaman 2 May 2013 16:38:24 18,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Whoa! Puk is fucking awesome.
    level 39! Yaaay! Previous best was 23. Bit of a lucky run there.
  • StixxUK 2 May 2013 16:47:43 7,245 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Main thing Google Now does very effectively is to drain the battery.
  • eleven63 2 May 2013 18:42:54 1,602 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Main thing Google Now does very effectively is to drain the battery.
    This - had to turn it of on my S3, killed my battery when out of WiFi range - fine on N7, obviously only Wi-Fi - it is very useful though so hope it gets sorted.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Folant 2 May 2013 20:01:23 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    @Folant I think it's under "Quick Reply" in the setting on the standard SMS app on my version of Android 4.2.2. Not a fan of it myself so I keep it disabled. I do use the SMS extension in Dashclock on my lockscreen though.

COuldn't find anytHing like that on my Nexus 4 on 4.2.2.
    DownlOaded that handcent and Pansi, they seem pretty good, but for stock
    SMS only, not on kik or whatsapp.
    Dunno why people insist on using them, who doesn't have unlimited texts these days?

Oh well.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Pinky_Floyd 2 May 2013 20:42:19 7,698 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

Dunno why people insist on using them, who doesn't have unlimited texts these days?

Oh well.
    Because sending pics is free on whatsapp, not free via mms ;)
  • crispyduckman 2 May 2013 21:51:25 1,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

Oh well.
    Hmm... I have the setting in my standard SMS app but I'm running a version of AOKP 4.2.2 so it's probably to do with that.

In Whatsapp, I think you just enable popup notifications. Btw, Whatsapp is also handy for sending links and location info. Also, video and group messaging.

• Page

of 93 First / Last