Android App and Game Review Thread Page 64

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• mikew1985 18 Feb 2013 10:47:11 12,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In the past when base Android was a bit, well, basic, you could understand the likes of HTC and Samsung putting their own skins on top. However, the pure android OS is so much improved now that it is actually prettier than a lot of these clunky skins, not to mention its more functional due to less bloat running in the background.

It's time for Samsung et al to cut out the shite custom skins now and go pure Android.

Also go back to iphone mowgli, Android clearly isn't for you.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Feb 2013 10:50:14 6,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't mind the HTC Sense one until it sent my phone into an endless loop of crashing and resetting. Had to do a factory reset to fix it.

It seems to work fine now, though. It's quite smooth with the latest updates.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 10:57:53
    mikew1985 wrote:
    In the past when base Android was a bit, well, basic, you could understand the likes of HTC and Samsung putting their own skins on top. However, the pure android OS is so much improved now that it is actually prettier than a lot of these clunky skins, not to mention its more functional due to less bloat running in the background.

It's time for Samsung et al to cut out the shite custom skins now and go pure Android.

Now why is that?

You know it is possible to point out the problems in something while still liking it.

Edited by mowgli at 11:04:45 18-02-2013
  • mikew1985 18 Feb 2013 11:18:04 12,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Now why is that?

You know it is possible to point out the problems in something while still liking it.
    Fair enough, just seems to me that you are constantly frustrated rather than enthused by the Android experience.

We are all aware of the issues of fragmentation - but generally speaking this is not a big problem for the majority of apps except when you go back a couple of generations of Android devices. For example my Desire is basically useless in relation to any current or newly released apps, but thats fine imo as its a three year old piece of hardware. It still runs everything else it always ran.
  • Tonka 18 Feb 2013 11:26:45 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    In the past when base Android was a bit, well, basic, you could understand the likes of HTC and Samsung putting their own skins on top.

Being new to Android (my first experience was a Sony branded Gingerbread) I missed the early days. My XPERIA Play did have some nice features though (like sorting the app drawer by latest installed, most used or alphabetical).

I have a friend who works as a hired SW consultant dealing with the nightmare of rolling out SONY's android skins to their phones. I bet there's a lot of money to save if they just left all that to Apple.

They could still make their own Apps and widgets and put on the phones but just leave the OS pure.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mikew1985 18 Feb 2013 11:57:25 12,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure leaving any of that stuff to Apple would prove very fruitful tbh :D
  • Tonka 18 Feb 2013 12:03:11 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahaha.
    Freud would have a field day with that.

• YenRug 18 Feb 2013 15:18:58 2,020 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I think it needs Jellybean. JB should be coming to the Note 1 from March.
    I was beginning to think they'd forgotten all about it.
  • PenguinJim 19 Feb 2013 05:48:54 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, it's just begun. Although the S2 update started weeks ago and has only hit a few countries so far, so it might take a while to get to everybody.
  • figgis 19 Feb 2013 13:23:53 7,383 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Puzzle and dragons is free and is a mix of pokemon and puzzle quest, it's fucking crack. It's not available in the UK yet but you can get the apk from this thread.

here

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15115231

Edited by figgis at 13:24:32 19-02-2013
  • Alastair 19 Feb 2013 13:33:43 15,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw the banner ads to Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes on iOS a while back. Anyone know if it's coming to Android? Or of any similar games?

Not as nice as I used to be

• mikew1985 19 Feb 2013 13:51:25 12,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would be perfect phone based fodder.

I have it on PC but I know I'll never finish it there, whereas on the phone I could sneakily chip away at it day by day.
  • Deleted user 19 February 2013 13:58:48
    mikew1985 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Now why is that?

Fair enough, just seems to me that you are constantly frustrated rather than enthused by the Android experience.

We are all aware of the issues of fragmentation - but generally speaking this is not a big problem for the majority of apps except when you go back a couple of generations of Android devices. For example my Desire is basically useless in relation to any current or newly released apps, but thats fine imo as its a three year old piece of hardware. It still runs everything else it always ran.
    I do get frustrated by it. I can be just starting to love the phone - spend ages customising it all and getting it set up just the way I like it and then boom something goes wrong. Still, it's a good OS and a welcome change from iOS.

See, your Desire absolutely shouldn't be useless if it is only three years old. That is insane. People go on about Apple products being outdated every year, but they aren't at all.

Anyway, what does your homescreen look like? Just finished mine: http://i.imgur.com/5Yd2IfF.jpg and rather happy with it. I've turned off the notification bar (still on in lockscreen).

Edited by mowgli at 13:59:07 19-02-2013
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2013 14:39:53 12,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that is quite beautiful, mine is horribly boring in comparison.

Must have a look at customising it a bit more.

Edit: My desire would be totally functional if it wasn't for the silly inherent internal memory shitness.

Edited by mikew1985 at 14:41:07 19-02-2013
  • Blaketown 19 Feb 2013 14:59:28 4,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Anyway, what does your homescreen look like? Just finished mine: http://i.imgur.com/5Yd2IfF.jpg and rather happy with it. I've turned off the notification bar (still on in lockscreen).
    What are you using for that, it looks great?

The calendar is lovely and I'd like the links too.

Edited by Blaketown at 15:01:48 19-02-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 19 February 2013 15:13:26
    Cheers!

Use novalauncher as a launcher and turn off notifications and customised app images with Simple Text. Zooper Widget Pro for clock and calendar (both customised).

Took an evening but I like it.
  • Deleted user 19 February 2013 15:43:09
    figgis wrote:
    Puzzle and dragons is free and is a mix of pokemon and puzzle quest, it's fucking crack. It's not available in the UK yet but you can get the apk from this thread.

here

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15115231
    Interesting, though I don't find it as addictive as I thought I would. On the other hand, I might not be the target demographic for this given my age :). Seems you have to be always online to play... Not a big deal though.
  • Tonka 19 Feb 2013 19:48:35 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Posted this in the wrong thread earlier

Here are some of my screens
    http://www.imgur.com/x58C9wT.png

And

http://www.imgur.com/qkysh3f.png

And

http://www.imgur.com/kKmRPTr.jpeg

Then I have two ugly ones with settings and shortcuts

• Trowel 20 Feb 2013 08:11:37 17,447 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BBC Sport app finally out today, very smooth and loads quickly. Also handles live text well (like the cricket right now), with one serious flaw in that it doesn't have the time/overs information against each entry which is on the far left of the full page - hopefully they'll add that soon.
  • Deckard1 20 Feb 2013 09:21:58 27,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tried it - as far as I can tell its exactly the same as using the mobile site, only slower.
  • Blaketown 20 Feb 2013 09:33:20 4,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's how those apps always are. See also Facebook, Twitter and any other website that has an app.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Tonka 20 Feb 2013 09:37:20 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bet the app is just a link to the website alt. the website wrapped in an app.
    Makes no sense what so ever to maintain three different versions of the same thing and to have to deal with the submission process everytime you need to update something.

• Tonka 20 Feb 2013 20:15:03 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just bought SwiftKey and it seems to be a small wonder! I no longer have to switch dictionary when I come here to post.

The joy is immense!

• Tonka 20 Feb 2013 20:15:06 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just bought SwiftKey and it seems to be a small wonder! I no longer have to switch dictionary when I come here to post.

The joy is immense!

• Tonka 20 Feb 2013 20:18:30 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The holo theme is really nice too. Don't like the swipe yet but I guess I have to realign my aim a little!

Hmm space sweeping is brilliant. But I think the main attraction is the predictive text thing.

• YenRug 20 Feb 2013 21:46:43 2,020 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No direct link, but Stargate Command: Tealc's Revenge is now available on Amazon Apps for free. No idea whether it's any good, yet, but when it's free you can't complain.
  • the_dudefather 21 Feb 2013 20:50:07 9,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    * initialise shameless self promotion*

Recently I have been making an Android game called Farmvasion 2132

It's a sort-of Jetpac-ish shooter, but about harvesting space-wheat, with different characters and maps to unlock

I was wondering if anyone would like to give it a go and give some feedback, if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you a copy

Or you can check out some gameplay footage and tell me it's terrible more quickly:
    [youtube] NXvznbfCvuw[/youtube]

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Tonka 21 Feb 2013 21:24:02 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That looks like a fun game. If you send me the file then what do I have to do? I'd be happy to try it out but I'm not sure how to install it on my phone.

How is it controlled by the way?

Bloody hell, if anyone on here is on the fence about SwiftKey don't hesitate just buy it now! It's magic.

Edited by Tonka at 21:24:50 21-02-2013

• the_dudefather 21 Feb 2013 21:39:29 9,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    That looks like a fun game. If you send me the file then what do I have to do? I'd be happy to try it out but I'm not sure how to install it on my phone.

How is it controlled by the way?
    You can install APKs manually using a file explorer app (such as 'Astro'), I'll pm you a link to the game just now

The game is primarily played with two virtual keys, one on the left side of the screen, and one on the right, which you can use to move up and left or up and right, then you use gravity for the rest. Either of the two bomb buttons activates a smart bomb that kills everything

It's (hopefully)been setup up so you won't be moving your thumbs around to different points on the screen too often, which can be a problem with games with loads of virtual buttons

Going to add a config option if you want to move them around though

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• monkehhh 21 Feb 2013 23:33:32 3,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @the_dudefather Would love to give it a shot! :)
  • Page

of 90 First / Last