Android App and Game Review Thread Page 59

• Page

of 92 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 17 Nov 2012 19:49:16 12,746 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Hey kids, what's a good app for managing podcasts? Or am I just better off manually copying them on to the phone?
    Never had a problem with Google Listen. Just needs the rss link and it downloads them each time it's available.
    No point in getting it now though since it's getting the chop. I'll give pocketcasts another vote.

Portable view - Never forget.

• danathjo 17 Nov 2012 19:56:22 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I grabbed podkicker after a tip from this thread, it's free, simple and I like it very much.

After using my ipod touch for many years a 'new' section for all my subs saves so much time instead of having to look for new casts individually on the ipod touch.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 20:43:18
    orpheus wrote:
    Blimey, that's tons - cheers chap!
    Most of those require in-app purchases (with real money) to make any reasonable progress after a certain point. Either that, or lots of grinding.
  • crashVoodoo 17 Nov 2012 20:55:40 3,858 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    orpheus wrote:
    Most of those require in-app purchases (with real money) to make any reasonable progress after a certain point. Either that, or lots of grinding.
    don't forget these 3 free games

Wheres My Water - a taster of the full game

Birzzle - manic puzzle action that never seems to get mentioned

Super Stickman Golf - grab a club

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:59:00 17-11-2012

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• theguy 17 Nov 2012 21:14:18 653 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    orpheus wrote:
    Yeah, despite having many games (most on that list and others), i don't really play a lot of them besides a bit of shadowgun and my little pony at the moment. So haven't really had to grind a lot since i don't play a lot. To test out how your device performs, they should be fine though. Can quickly uninstall if it becomes too grinding

Edited by theguy at 21:14:42 17-11-2012
  • Triggerhappytel 17 Nov 2012 21:33:27 2,695 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definite +1 for Jetpack Joyride, I put a crazy amount of time into that when I first got it. Really intelligent game design which keeps you striving for the next mission target. I would recommend the Zenonia games too (I believe 3 & 4 are free, paid for with micro transactions, although I've only played the first two), and from a power perspective you should try Dead Trigger which looks great for a mobile game (although I though it played like arse).

I would also recommend the Kairosoft '... Story' games. Game Dev Story is still my favourite, although I recently bought Dungeon Village and that's very good too.
  • MikeStubbsy 17 Nov 2012 22:47:44 9 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dare i mention Curiosity as a good android 'game'. well considering i just did you should check out this review/blog of the experiment.

http://dirtypixelgaming.blog.com/category/curiosity-blog/
  • BeebleB 18 Nov 2012 18:09:22 899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Android version of Beat hazard ultra has been out a few days, just bought it myself as I've pumped god knows how many hours into the Ps3 and steam versions. Really surprised by how well it works, the virtual sticks took almost no getting used to and its pretty much the same game feature wise.
    Looks really pretty with the visuals dialed up to 11 too

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• crashVoodoo 22 Nov 2012 20:17:17 3,858 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    draw stickman epic

I'm a level in a loving this.  You draw a stickman who is your main character throughout.  You also draw a friend who you have to name and then save as part of the story.

Its odd seeing my character shuffling around with a huge rod on trying to rescue boobyboobs :-)

I liken this to scribblenauts with drawing instead of typing.  Works brilliantly with the note stylus.  You can redraw your main character but you cant redraw the friend so the fair maiden I have to save is an orange stick figure with oval chesticles.

my title screen

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:19:18 22-11-2012

• Kay 28 Nov 2012 15:20:26 17,798 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zookeeper DX free on the Amazon store today.
  • Murbal 28 Nov 2012 15:28:23 22,045 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Zookeeper DX free on the Amazon store today.
    I knew there was something I'd been meaning to post!
  • Trowel 4 Dec 2012 09:20:32 17,531 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nipples wrote:
    Trowel. Copilot is awesome and free if you don't need voice navigation. I use it regular and once you're used to the 'tap the arrow' bit to get it into normal nav mode, then you're sorted. ;)
    To follow up on this, I'm pleased to report Copilot got me round Australia in one piece :)

It has a fantastic UI and is generally excellent (doubly so considering it's free!), but has some really annoying 'features', some of which I'm not sure if are improved in the paid for version. The main problem is the way it occasionally automatically changes the current view to show the next turn, which zooms out from your current display, loses the lock on your position (the 'tap the arrow' bit you mentioned!) and requires you to manually find yourself again. I couldn't get my head around why anyone would want this to happen. Also having to manually recalculate a route if you miss a turn again seemed counterintuitive.

This problem alone meant driving out of Sydney was almost the end of me. I foolishly jumped straight in the hire car and set off, without fully understanding the need to frequently keep recalibrating the display. And it turns out Sydney's road system is a fucking nightmare (junctions off either side of highways; signs frequently only right at the junction itself; signs described only by region/road name rather than the highway number, etc.) As a result I spent two sweaty hours generally fixed into going the wrong direction.

Where Copilot came into its own was in the up front navigation planning, with brilliant routing options - alternate routes automatically calculated and easily selected, additional stops/route changes easy to add, hypothetical routes easy to set up and view. Really helped us for planning, especially with the huge distances involved (4000km in 15 days).

Other things that could be improved are locating POIs on your route (seems limited to a local area, even though when otherwise browsing the map you can find POIs anywhere), and the detailed turn descriptions are hidden away in a sub-sub-sub menu when they're incredibly useful (not least just for the junction number).

If I hadn't already taken Australia as my free map I'd definitely upgrade to the full version for use at home (though more than happy with my old Navigon for the UK). As it stands I'll be doing some more research first into the problems we encountered, then will see if it's worth forking out for both the upgrade and the UK maps.

(as an aside, the alternative sat nav app we tried, Osmand, was far too bare bones)
  • eleven63 4 Dec 2012 19:53:48 1,601 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @trowel - great review chap!

If you are using Dinamotxt to use your N7 for txt messaging, DON'T update, it's fucked up now - really don't understand why things aren't tested before release, recon the issue is with 4.2.1 as now the app is non compatible via the play store when viewing on N7...

EDIT - brilliant service, emailed the devs, came back, twice, within 30 odd mins and a fix is on the way - apparently it's an issue with devices that have a rear facing camera, er, which the N7 obviously doesn't, but the devs only know this problem exists ONCE they publish?!

Is this, generally, showing how awkward it must be to work with Android? I'm no teccy, but this just doesn't sound like 4.2 has  been thought through/fully tested?

#FFS

Edited by eleven63 at 21:24:22 04-12-2012

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• senso-ji 5 Dec 2012 21:53:27 5,840 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Plague Inc

Read about this on wired.com; a game where you create and evolve a virus and try to wipe out the human race with it. It's ok, but nothing amazing; gameplay is fun for 10 minute bursts for the first 3-4 attempts, but it got boring pretty quickly.

6/10
  • Jono62 5 Dec 2012 22:41:49 14,021 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh my brain - block puzzle

Put blocks together to make a square. Simple, but addictive.
  • neilka 6 Dec 2012 11:54:12 15,825 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice City is up:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstargames.gtavc

Although it's giving me (and other according to the reviews) an "XAPK file validation failed" error at startup...

Edited by neilka at 12:02:56 06-12-2012
  • Vortex808 7 Dec 2012 19:20:04 7,049 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Oh my brain - block puzzle

Put blocks together to make a square. Simple, but addictive.
    Nice find Jono. That will definitely lead to regular brain ache!
  • kentmonkey 9 Dec 2012 11:29:53 20,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got my wife an Android (Samsung) for Christmas.

Loaded it up with the iPlayer, Kindle and TVCatchip apps, as well as all of the angry birds, cut the rope, solitairs, beach buggy and jewels star games. They just looked like stuff she'd be able to cope with and enjoy from a quick store search.

Any other freebies (either apps or games) worth getting?
  • crashVoodoo 9 Dec 2012 13:49:25 3,858 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

Loaded it up with the iPlayer, Kindle and TVCatchip apps, as well as all of the angry birds, cut the rope, solitairs, beach buggy and jewels star games. They just looked like stuff she'd be able to cope with and enjoy from a quick store search.

Birzzle its addictive as crack
    Wheres the water .. 50p or something but really goos

• eleven63 9 Dec 2012 18:01:15 1,601 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

Tv24, Flipboard, Tunein radio - TVcatchup is the dogs b's use it all the time whilst other half is watching tat on TV....

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• MrWonderstuff 10 Dec 2012 00:40:26 1,925 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tv catchup is ace.
  • Murbal 11 Dec 2012 14:28:41 22,045 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Broken Sword 2 is out :
    http://bit.ly/RmY8jP

Edited by Murbal at 14:30:57 11-12-2012
  • PsychoPingu 12 Dec 2012 13:23:20 68 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Google Calendar? >.>
  • neilka 12 Dec 2012 15:21:00 15,825 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice City is back, it's now a full 1.4GB app rather than whatever they unsuccessfully tried to do last time...
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2012 15:43:19 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Let us know if the controls are a bit better than on GTA3

Not as nice as I used to be

• Alastair 12 Dec 2012 15:47:15 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a USB connector for my original XBox pad and tried that with GTA 3 and it wasn't great...
    I don't have a PS3 so don't have a controller to link... :(
    Has anyone else successfully linked a controller to their tablet for GTA3?

Not as nice as I used to be

• graysonavich 12 Dec 2012 15:48:27 7,320 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Monday, wake up. Have a poo.

Tuesday, wake up. Have a poo.

Wednesday, wake up. Have a poo.
  • Page

of 92 First / Last