Renting Games from LoveFilm

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • cjb_bjc 17 Dec 2009 12:52:19 1,086 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting ready for the heavy flourish of games that are being released early next year and the ones iv missed so far... im thinking of setting up a lovefilm account:

3.91 for a maximum of 2 games in a month (cheapest deal they do).

Now thats like 48 for 24 games over a year (maximum). Im thinking thats pretty good deal, seeing how i spend that in a month or two! lol. Anyone doing this at the mo? Is it a good idea? All those games that im never likely to buy would all of a sudden get a bit of love!!

• seasidebaz 17 Dec 2009 12:58:22 6,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to use Lovefilm for game & movie rentals, the trouble is they "advise" you to put lots of games on your list. I didn't. I only put new games on it.

I cancelled my subscription when they hadn't sent me a single game for about 2 months.
  • moggsy 17 Dec 2009 12:59:21 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The cheapest package including games is actually 9.78 a month (4 discs a month).

I use LoveFilm for films and it's a very good service.

• Lotos8ter 17 Dec 2009 13:04:09 2,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm currently in a free Lovefilm trial. I put Dragon Age Origins on my list and waited a week and they never sent it. I bought it elsewhere and they did send x-men wolverine out quick.

I'm not paying for the subs, they can shove it as soon as the trial is done.

Fiat Lux

• seasidebaz 17 Dec 2009 13:06:08 6,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would advise using the GAME rental service instead. It seems to be better.
  • Fletche 17 Dec 2009 13:09:02 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It works well if you don't mind when you receive a game, also if you have a game/film combination deal you are best to have two separate lists (one with your films on, one with games), that way you will get one from each everytime they send out new discs.

Just don't think that just because something is in you most wanted that that will be the next one you get. Have to say though that they are great when you get a dodgy disc, they send a replacement plus an extra free game/film, also the posting back and forth is top notch.
  • Demikaze 17 Dec 2009 13:11:52 6,698 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LoveFilm is good - the chances of you ever getting a new release game is very slim, but if you want to go and get a game over a month old or more, odds are it will be sent out immediately. I have two lists, one with games and one with films.
  • cjb_bjc 17 Dec 2009 15:00:30 1,086 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    The cheapest package including games is actually 9.78 a month (4 discs a month).

I use LoveFilm for films and it's a very good service.

Having another look your right Moggsy, thought that was working out a little too cheaply. Im not too bothered about getting older games, but i suppose you can pick most of them up for 10-15 anyway! I suppose thats 1 a week at 2.50 but id probably take 2 to be bored with them. Mmmm So 120 a year instead....

Thanks for the info seasidebaz il check out the GAME rental service and see what thats like.
  • cjb_bjc 17 Dec 2009 15:05:28 1,086 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just found Boomerang

http://www.boomerangrentals.co.uk/

Thats 3.49 a month for 1 game. Anyone used this service at all?
  • Fletche 17 Dec 2009 15:07:07 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A long ago, had a few probs with them saying they hadn't received discs back from me when I had sent them, so I left. Maybe improved now.
  • Deleted user 17 December 2009 15:29:11
    I've been using SwapGame - thier basic deal is 3.99 for 1 game per month.

Seems okay so far, and you have the option to keep the disc you currently have, pay the used game price and get brand new packaging. I'm sure other places do that too, it's quite nice for when you find an unexpected 'keeper'.

• sanctusmortis 17 Dec 2009 15:44:48 9,631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been using Lovefilm for several months - have 3 lists (films for me, films for kids, games) and swap my disc allocation around regularly. For catchups it's great (Red Faction Guerilla's the newest game I've had on it), as well as games you wouldn't want to blow a ton on (Saboteur, Timeshift, that sort of thing).
  • sanctusmortis 17 Dec 2009 15:44:50 9,631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been using Lovefilm for several months - have 3 lists (films for me, films for kids, games) and swap my disc allocation around regularly. For catchups it's great (Red Faction Guerilla's the newest game I've had on it), as well as games you wouldn't want to blow a ton on (Saboteur, Timeshift, that sort of thing).
  • Flying_Pig 17 Dec 2009 15:49:17 10,987 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been on Lovefilm for a few years, but recently added to Games too. Not had any games yet, but then they're mixed with my films list...

Great service, but you need a big list, as they can only send you what's available (obviously!)
  • Byblos1 25 May 2010 19:36:28 170 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently subscribed to LoveFilm to rent games, because I was sick of paying 35-40 for the 5-10 hours of play time that modern games seem to provide.

I started off on a trial and was pretty impressed with the speed at which I received my first few titles: Final Fantasy XIII and Just Cause 2, even though they were new releases they arrived within a couple of days.

Since I subscribed though, it's become utterly rubbish. The turn around time for them sending new stuff after a return often is 5 days plus, and I hardly ever get what I want despite me putting all the good stuff on high priority and all the other stuff on low. For example, I've been waiting for Splinter Cell Conviction since its release on ~ 13th April.

It's weird as my brother who recently started a new trial has had Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake and Splinter Cell in those first 30 days. I honestly suspect they're showing the trialists a fair bit of favouritism.

Anyone else experience this, also any suggestions for a better videogame rental service that operates in the UK?

• heyyo 25 May 2010 19:42:19 14,373 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're all shit. Swapgame is shit too, these places will tell you put 10 games on there so they can send you shit and keep your monthly fee because you're in hope of getting sort after games.

It's a model that they all follow. Fuck it, just buy cheap boxed games off ebay

edit: after a initial good 'period'
  • David_Richardson 25 May 2010 20:11:07 635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Byblos1 wrote:
    I recently subscribed to LoveFilm to rent games, because I was sick of paying 35-40 for the 5-10 hours of play time that modern games seem to provide.

I started off on a trial and was pretty impressed with the speed at which I received my first few titles: Final Fantasy XIII and Just Cause 2, even though they were new releases they arrived within a couple of days.

Since I subscribed though, it's become utterly rubbish. The turn around time for them sending new stuff after a return often is 5 days plus, and I hardly ever get what I want despite me putting all the good stuff on high priority and all the other stuff on low. For example, I've been waiting for Splinter Cell Conviction since its release on ~ 13th April.

It's weird as my brother who recently started a new trial has had Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake and Splinter Cell in those first 30 days. I honestly suspect they're showing the trialists a fair bit of favouritism.

Anyone else experience this, also any suggestions for a better videogame rental service that operates in the UK?

You are far from the first person I have seen suggest that this happens.
  • kentmonkey 25 May 2010 20:13:25 20,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't condone it, in actual fact I think it's very unethical. But can anyone be seriously surprised that they may go out of their way on a free trial in order to win your business? It's similar to companies offering great deals to new customers. Once you're in the door, they just assume you won't be bothered to find an alternative.

The trouble with Lovefilm is that they pretty much own every rental service out there. I'd love to use a game rental service. 5 a month for one game would be ideal for me, something along those lines, but there just aren't any options, I've found, that would be suitable as they're either owned by Lovefilm or look like they have a poor selection.
  • kentmonkey 25 May 2010 20:43:18 20,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's good to know. Has anyone else used them? The site is a bit rubbish (links don't work, email link doesn't work, etc.) but no need to not trust them.

Does the 3.49 package still allow you to say 'wait until you can send me a top 3 choice' rather than 'despatch as soon as'?
  • PhoenixFlames 25 May 2010 20:51:53 8,998 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow boomerang looks really good. Will defo sign up for the 3.49 package. It's perfect for my limited game time.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• GafferTaped 25 May 2010 21:44:52 88 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 3.49 package you get a maximum of one game per month? So if I don't get on with game X, I have to wait till next month to try something else? Looks like the next package, with two rentals per month is 7.99. Hmm. I like the idea of game rental though, I probably have 3-4hr/week for gaming so this may work...
  • secombe 3 Jun 2010 21:18:43 1,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any further comments on LF for game rentals? I have a free Blu Ray sub for a year through a Toshiba Blu Ray promotion, and amazingly they were flexible enough to deduct that from the price of a better sub for me, so I'm paying less than a tenner for 3 at a time unlimited monthly rentals for the next 12 months.

Turn-around has always been great for BDs, so I've set up a secondary list just for games and allocated one rental to it (therefore I will always get new BDs when I return them, but will only ever have one game at a time) yet worryingly I stuck 10 X360 games on my list and it's just been sat there as 'dispatching soon' for the past 24hrs.

Not exactly new or particularly popular stuff either (Ace Combat 6, NfS: Shift, The Saboteur etc) so I'd be shocked if they didn't have any of them.
  • tenofspades 3 Jun 2010 21:52:09 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    always found lovefilm quite good for game rentals- just don't do film and game rentals- as they will send you films as first priority. Swapgame I've found to be pretty awful.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2010 22:18:17
    secombe wrote:
    Any further comments on LF for game rentals? I have a free Blu Ray sub for a year through a Toshiba Blu Ray promotion, and amazingly they were flexible enough to deduct that from the price of a better sub for me, so I'm paying less than a tenner for 3 at a time unlimited monthly rentals for the next 12 months.

Turn-around has always been great for BDs, so I've set up a secondary list just for games and allocated one rental to it (therefore I will always get new BDs when I return them, but will only ever have one game at a time) yet worryingly I stuck 10 X360 games on my list and it's just been sat there as 'dispatching soon' for the past 24hrs.

Not exactly new or particularly popular stuff either (Ace Combat 6, NfS: Shift, The Saboteur etc) so I'd be shocked if they didn't have any of them.
    You might need a bigger choice if games on the list.

I've always found lovefilms turnaround for Bluray and games excellent.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2010 22:19:20
    Oh and if you report a they haven't sent a disc for 24hrs they well give you an extra rental for free.
  • jonsaan 3 Jun 2010 22:20:21 25,352 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LoveFILM? you say. I went to Lovecock by mistake. It was really hard to get in.

FCUTA!

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous