Brazil. Who has been? Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• JoeBlade 6 Dec 2009 19:59:47 2,548 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, we didn't have that much trouble with the language barrier. Almost everyone in the bigger cities seemed to know a few words of English and when they didn't we managed with a few words we'd picked up combined with gestures and pointing. Maybe we were lucky though.

But yes, the smaller places were a bit difficult on occasion.
  • Toonster 6 Dec 2009 20:15:55 6,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been three times, but I've only been with my parents so far, so they've paid for the lodgings. Plus, I also have family in Rio, so whenever I go there, we just stay at their place.

In terms of other places you should visit during that spare week, Buzios is a fantastic place, which is set up on a peninsula about four hours north of Rio. It's been referred to as the 'St. Tropez of South America'; the town's basically one long strip along the coast, it's got great restaurants, shopping areas, clubbing, and above all, just a really refreshing atmosphere. Plus it's got some great surrounding beaches. This is the peninsula where it's located. Can't find any pictures of the main town, but if you think of St. Tropez without the yachts, you've basically got the same idea.

Also, if you've got a few extra quid to spare, go to Iguaçu Falls. You can take helicopter rides over the falls, or if you're willing to get a bit wet, you can take a boat ride underneath the falls themselves. Also, you could take a day-trip into Argentina to observe the falls from the other side.

Other recommendations include the Bahia area and the Amazon rainforest.

So basically, these are all the places I've been in Brazil :D Good luck with your travels!

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 23:13:49 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    ...gestures and pointing...
    Draws attention to you as a Gringo though, it's much nicer to be able to blend in.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• JoeBlade 6 Dec 2009 23:18:05 2,548 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    ...gestures and pointing...
    Draws attention to you as a Gringo though, it's much nicer to be able to blend in.
    Heh, we might as well have had 'tourist' (or Portuguese equivalent thereof) stamped across our foreheads. We're not the rowdy foreigner sort but blending in, no chance :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Dec 2009 23:44:01 25,916 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you happen to bump into a girl called Bruna when you're in Belo Horizonte, tell her to drop me a PM.
  • danathjo 21 Jan 2010 17:33:12 7,388 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay, still looking for where to go for my honeymoon (which i'm 100% organising) after changing my mind about 20 times so far, this week i'm thinking Brazil.
    Any ideas on where to go, she really wants to just sit on the beach and do bugger all but i'd like the option to soak up a bit of culture/fun when i'm there too (i'm easily restless where she'll happily read away for days at a time).
    Will be very early June for 1-2 weeks.
    A friend at work just came back and recommended Bolia, will be milking him for more suggestions but hopefully someone on here has some experience too.

Weird thing is after combing all the usual holiday sites, not many offer packages for Brazil at all which I find really strange!
  • Load_2.0 21 Jan 2010 17:37:04 19,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On this bump, I have been reading all sorts of internet horror stories about the copocabana area, it's not normally something that concerns me. I have been most places around Europe and Asia and never had serious issues but I have managed to get myself into a right Nana tizz, expecting to be confronted with roving gangs holding machettes and AK47's.

Some one comfort me with tales of wonderful Rio holidays!

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 21 Jan 2010 17:40:00 14,033 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Florianopolis is supposed to be nice according to a some people.

Edit: The Copacabana beach is not all that great anyway or so I hear.

Yes, all my information about Brazil is vague.
  • otto Moderator 21 Jan 2010 17:42:26 49,317 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    On this bump, I have been reading all sorts of internet horror stories about the copocabana area, it's not normally something that concerns me. I have been most places around Europe and Asia and never had serious issues but I have managed to get myself into a right Nana tizz, expecting to be confronted with roving gangs holding machettes and AK47's.

Some one comfort me with tales of wonderful Rio holidays!

We went to Rio a few years ago, we stayed in a hotel right on the Copacabana end of Ipanema, we had a really good time, did a lot of walking around the area at all times of day and night, really nothing bad to report at all. Uh, well, there was one time that someone started firing a gun into the air outside our hotel window, don't know what that was all about. :D

Apart from that it was great! \o/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Load_2.0 21 Jan 2010 17:50:05 19,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah that's the kind of thing. Good, I feel better already.
  • Buechler 1 Feb 2010 10:18:47 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In Brazil if you like to see building you should go to sao paulo
    in downtown there are many historical buildings there
    churches , museums , theahter etc.
    you can go to rio to see the christ too
    and you can go to the cataratas do iguacu, is in the south on parana
    is a waterfall between brazil and argentina
    is beautiful a must see
    you can go to the north and see the beautiful beaches.
    Sunset Inn

• Load_2.0 24 Mar 2010 11:06:03 19,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yo sucka's

So do I need to get vaccinated? Will the popo at the border give me grief if i don't have my little booklet of shots? Yellow fever, Thyphoid, Hep A + B etc.

Thanks
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2010 11:30:35 25,916 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had nothing when I went.

No idea if I needed to, mind you. But I survived ok.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2010 11:35:40 25,916 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and going back to January a minute, don't worry about Copocabana. I spent a fair amount of time in the area and had no trouble at all. Most people were bloody friendly.

Just stay clear of the favelas if you don't have anyone local to head in with you and you'll be fine.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2010 11:41:47 25,916 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /marks new thread "How do I talk down a gang of gun-toting drug pushers?" as interesting

:)
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2010 11:56:28 14,718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    /marks new thread "How do I talk down a gang of gun-toting drug pushers?" as interesting

:)

Hand over your money and hope that you at least get some drugs in return.

Or at least only a mild bumming.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• BanjoMan 24 Mar 2010 12:30:32 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Yo sucka's

So do I need to get vaccinated? Will the popo at the border give me grief if i don't have my little booklet of shots? Yellow fever, Thyphoid, Hep A + B etc.

Thanks
    Jesus, just get them done or you might end up regretting it. The second time I went there was a massive malaria outbreak because of people leaving stagnant water lying around in buckets. Yellow fever is the worst jab, but I'd much rather have the jab than the fucking disease. Eesh.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2010 12:32:28 25,916 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Real men don't have jabs though and just take a bout of Ebola on the chin.
  • Uncle_Silver 24 Mar 2010 12:38:18 127 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rio, Buzios, Isla Grande, Iguaçu Falls (if you had time)

The best trip i have ever done
  • L_Franko Moderator 6 Apr 2010 11:43:54 9,694 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A good chance i'm off to the rainforest next year.
    GF has done lots of traveling in her past and she has recently recieved an invite to a save the rainforest hike that has been set up.

Kind of experience I would be a fool to pass up. Not anything I would really think about normally but as i've been given an invite to tag along I'm actually really liking the idea.
    I've been told I have to go through alot of training for it though and giving up the fags is the start, there will also be many long walks up steep hills to look forward to in the near future.
    This is just to get me fit as walking up stairs at the moment leave me a little out of breath. Picked up a bike over the weekend so bike rides will become an after work activity. Have a year to get my fittness up so lets see what happens.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2010 16:58:13
    Learn Capoeira and join in a game. :p That'll get you fit in no time.
  • L_Franko Moderator 7 Apr 2010 11:06:39 9,694 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, that would be very cool to learn but I have only just started to ride a bike again so baby steps at the moment I think :)
  • Deleted user 7 April 2010 12:58:37
    There's a pensioner who goes regularly at my class. She's incredibly fit for her age but takes it slowly.

If I went to Brazil, I'd definitely check out some Capoeira whilst I'm there. No idea how you'd go about it though.
  • essential 5 Oct 2010 22:00:54 661 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice i went for 3 weeks in August so it wasn't too hot, most of the time was in Rio and spent a few days in Buzios.
    I went to see my girlfriend, so my trip consisted of getting up very late every day, walking her untrained aggressive rottweiler then accompanying her to the hairdressers to have her nails done, oh and endless trips to the theatre, lol.

Try and learn a few words of Portuguese it will help a lot, don't be a 'dumb gringo' :)
  • Load_2.0 5 Oct 2010 22:09:00 19,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I was only in Rio and Belo Horizonte for a few weeks but a little Portuguese goes a LONG way.

Being able to say Rodoviaria might be of use going to all those places.

I loved it, best holiday in ages.
  • KingOfTheC 6 Oct 2010 10:46:58 288 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only have experience of Rio as I worked there for a couple of weeks earlier this year, but I can advise you that, whilst you're in Rio, you should go to a restaurant called Marius.

It is a pirate-ship themed porcao (means "piggy" I think) restaurant, of the sort where swords of steak and seafood and things are brought round whilst you eat buffet salad and stews and things like that.

Absolutely wonderful restaurant - quite pricey but would be worth it for a "treat" night I think.
  • Load_2.0 6 Oct 2010 11:07:35 19,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I could go for a per kilo lunch right now sooooooooooo hungry.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last