Brazil. Who has been?

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 18:44:58 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Olá

So I am off to Brazil in April. Any one been? Happy to hear any recommendations.

Rio for a week, then Belo horizonte for my friends wedding. I have a free week after that so any suggestions? If anyone has rented an apartment would love to hear your experience.

Maybe there are some lurking Brazilians on the forum?
  • absolutezero 6 Dec 2009 18:52:32 7,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BR?
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 18:57:28 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been twice. My wife's Brazilian. I can give you loads of tips, the first of which is learn Portuguese - seriously, NO-ONE speaks English. Maybe in Rio it's different, but in my experience you need decent Portuguese to get by. A bit of Spanish will help, but ideally you need at least basic Portuguese. So it's 'Alo' not 'Ola'.

Apart from that, go to Sao Paulo, it's fucking mental. Amazing music, tons of stuff going on, huge metropolis of a place.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• BravoGolf Moderator 6 Dec 2009 19:06:15 12,740 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awww, I'd love to go.

/hints
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:07:37 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, if you want an incredibly beautiful place with loads of nice beaches (if you haven't had enough of that in Rio) go to Florianopolis in Santa Catarina. It's in the south, so you could do Sao Paulo as well.

Brazil is a massive country and there are no trains. People get coaches everywhere, which can take a couple of days, but the seats recline and the coaches are air-conditioned. Your best bet is to book internal flights.

• Deleted user 6 December 2009 19:08:26
    I'll go with you but if you think you're wearing a thong on the beach...

/shudders
  • FWB 6 Dec 2009 19:09:06 43,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's my name day today. Anyone want to buy me a holiday there?
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:09:39 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And the best beer is Bohemia. Drink that and caipirinhas.

• Deleted user 6 December 2009 19:10:03
    EG HOLIDAY!

Fruity can sort it all out for us. There's no way that can go wrong.
  • FWB 6 Dec 2009 19:10:43 43,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So we're all going to Brazil and Fruity is paying? Fantastic!
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 19:11:14 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am very poor with languages, there is no chance of me having decent Portuguese down before April, but have a smattering of Spanish. I will try to cram in some Portuguese phrases before I go. Though I now see my dreams of pulling super fit locals slipping away due to misunderstood sign language.

Sao Paulo eh? That could work.

Any local delicacies you could recommend. I have already had chicken hearts courtesy of my mates soon to be wife.
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:11:32 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And most of the prostitutes are transvestites.

So I hear.

• Deleted user 6 December 2009 19:12:08
    I know, I've already started packing my suitcase.

Thanks Fruity. You've made my year!
  • FWB 6 Dec 2009 19:13:06 43,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So which airport and what time/date do I have to head for?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2009 19:13:07 37,347 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hear they love rape and murder in Brazil. Sounds like a party!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 19:13:57 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bohemia, noted! Yeah we hyave to take a 6 hour (I think) coach from Rio to Belo Horizonte. No doubt in fully hungover mode.

Florianopolis. excellent I shall google it at once. Love the beach so that will go down well.

Also I look fucking awesome in a thong. I shall post pics.
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:15:04 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, feijoada (fay-shwar-da) is the national dish, a hearty stew of black turtle beans and pork, including pig's ear and tail. Of course, they do a Gringo-friendly version without the face and arse bits.

The best thing is the barbecue, called churrasco (shu-hass-co), especially the ribs, called costelao (coss-tel-ow). The barbecue restaurants are 'rodizio' style, which means the waiters constantly bring new cuts of meat to your table and carve it onto your plate. It's fucking awesome.

• Deleted user 6 December 2009 19:16:52
    Flights on the 16th from Heathrow Terminal 5 at 8pm.

2 weeks of rape, murder, and experimentation with transexual prositutes.
  • FWB 6 Dec 2009 19:19:49 43,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking forward to it. I'll remember to pack my fedora.
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:19:52 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The other decent beer is Antarctica, who also make a very popular guarana drink, which a lot of people drink instead of coke.

• Deleted user 6 December 2009 19:22:25
    I think we need a mod in here. Banjo keeps derailing the thread by being helpful, informative, and interesting and that shouldn't be allowed in this day and age.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Dec 2009 19:24:11 25,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When you're in Rio, go and eat at Porcao's. It's ace.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Dec 2009 19:24:48 4,071 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Didn't they just start selling the PS2 for $450 or something?
    If so, take a ps3 with you, and live like a KING.
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 19:24:58 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never ending meat, caipirinhas and antartica in whilst charming the locals in my lime green thong and London tan.

Sounds much better then sitting in my lounge eating mash and quorn sausages glaring out at the arse end of the Uk winter.

• JoeBlade 6 Dec 2009 19:29:01 2,488 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been once, Rio -> Sao Paolo (don't know how to get that ~ thing on there) and places inbetween.
    I wouldn't recommend Sao Paolo; it's a huge, modern city but with few points of finterest IMO.

Rio's lovely however. Definitely go up to the Cristo Redentor; the statue proper isn't that impressive but the scenic view is outright amazing. There are a few museums and other places worth visiting but merely taking the city in and the night life make it worth a stay of a couple of days.
    We were always told to stay well clear of the favelas and to be careful where to go after dark and I assume that still applies (it's been 8 years or so since I went). Don't shun the metro though, it's very modern, efficient and perfectly safe from what we've seen.

I also have fond memories of Paraty (Google it)

One minor tip: there is still quite a bit of illiteracy, esp. in the smaller places, so pointing at a Portuguese word in a dictionary may lead to nothing but embarrasment (experienced that first-hand, unfortunately)

That's all I can think of right now.
  • BanjoMan 6 Dec 2009 19:33:58 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking hell, yeah, never go in the favelas. And don't take too much money out with you, don't wear jewellery, don't use your phone. Keep a money belt down your pants or get one of those actual belts that you can hide money in. Try to find a host who can guide you round a bit if you can. Obviously I've been really lucky, having Brazilian friends and family take me round everywhere.

• JoeBlade 6 Dec 2009 19:40:52 2,488 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    Try to find a host who can guide you round a bit if you can.
    Indeed. We were lucky enough to have a girl some of my mates knew through work in Sao Paolo present at the time and it was a huge help.
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 19:44:15 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thats the odd part. When in Rio we are staying near the Ave Atlantica which seems to be the busy/safe part of Rio but even still I was looking at apartments in Leme which looked awesome but seemed to be surronded by favela's according to google maps.

Going to have to keep a lid on my boozing. Don't want to be wandering about at 4am like I do here.
  • InfiniteFury 6 Dec 2009 19:47:13 864 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know this has already been mentioned but this is something that is worth repeating as many times as necessary. When you are told that people only speak Portugese or Spanish in South America (as we were told), they are not kidding and you ignore it at your peril.

Do not make the mistake we made of thinking over time "Oh, they must be exagerrating, where there are tourists, there must be some people who will English". And so you sort of ignore the language learning.

There aren't. There really really aren't and I would hate for someone else to go through the experience of standing in a McDonalds on day one, jet-lagged, having been unable to order food in a restaurant and then not even able to order a quarter pounder and fries.

In this instance, you actually need the Spanish/Portugese for Big Mac.

Mind you, this was Chile and even native Spanish speakers in other South American countries can't understand Chilean Spanish. It's completely fucked.
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2009 19:50:09 18,901 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe I was definitely thinking that!

OK I understand. Time to get learning, now all I need is Rosetta Stone!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous