Overrated Games

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Aug 2004 00:31:19 12,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Following on from the other thread.

MDK - What was all that about? I'm not sure if people actually like it or not, but I kept hearing it was meant to be good but it really did nothing for me.

Metroid Prime - Probably a popular one, found it utterly boring, repetitive, dull, didn't like the control system, especially the combat(Yes, I WAS 'playing it as an adventure rather than an FPS' or whatever you usually advise) and the grapics weren't that good either. There was the occasional nice touch like the steam on a visor and your reflection in the glass in front of you, but stylish effects does not a good game make. Not by a long shot.
  • Daryoon 13 Aug 2004 00:41:36 4,622 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Not a bad game, but it wasn't the amazing thing so many people made it out to be. Really, it was just Zelda with character designs straight out of a Saturday Morning Cartoon (along with the plot), and the length of the game was tragic. The photography angle was woefully underplayed too.
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Aug 2004 00:47:26 6,170 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a lot of games get over hyped because they are different to everything else that is going.

Probably not the best time to mention this, but BF:V, but maybe just thats because i'm missing the experience of a good large onlin/LAN game. We shall soon see !
  • GrandTheftApu 13 Aug 2004 00:48:04 6,119 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Devil May Cry
    The combat was cool, but revisiting the same locations and fighting countless variations of the same boss got boring pretty quickly for me.
  • Decoded 13 Aug 2004 00:56:47 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hesitate to call it overrated because I only played Metroid Prime for a couple of hours, but during that time I nearly died of boredom. In any case my time was cut short when, like many games with a first-person perspective, it started to induce nausea. Can't say it was a huge loss though.

Viewtiful Joe was disappointing too. So many reviews had gushed over it and lauded the gameplay, but meh. I'd rather play Streets of Rage.
  • Freek 13 Aug 2004 00:57:33 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Overrated game; everybody else and the press loved it but not me. It's a personal thing.

With the defination out of the way.
    GTA. Oh so you dumped everything into one giant level and some things run around in it? Colored me NOT impressed with the mini game like missions in the same enviroment all the time.

Edited by Freek at 01:08:53 13-08-2004
  • Ajay 13 Aug 2004 01:54:32 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll mention one I haven't before (rather than banging on about MGS2 again :) ) - Ico.

I just found that lots of seemingly little things ganged up and destroyed the experience. The camera control is horrible, you can see what it's trying to do but as soon as combat occurs spatial awareness drops to nil. It's especially poor during the final battle. Not being allowed to leave Yorda for more than a short time was too frustrating - so you're forced to laboriously drag her around while figuring the puzzles out and exploring. I know you're taking the role of her protector, but it just seemed to take things a few steps too far for me. Additionally, some (though not all) of it I just found boring.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad game - the agreeably bleak atmosphere worked well and it has got a rather unique feel to it as a game (even though it kept reminding me of Ant Attack and, for some reason, The Moomins). It just didn't strike me as the near-magical game that many folks found it, merely rather so-so. And that's a shame, because magical games don't come along very often.

Edited by Ajay at 01:18:28 13-08-2004
  • deem 13 Aug 2004 01:57:02 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Retroid Moderator 13 Aug 2004 02:31:52 44,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metroid Prime; Over-rated? In true Fox News Reporter stylee.... I've heard it said that you have no taste to diss one of the best games of the current generation of machines ;)

The control system is nigh-on perfect for a game of this type once you un-learn some of the FPS controls you might be used to.

Meh.

Your loss, eh ;)

Most over-rated?

Tomb Raider (entire series)
    Super Mario 64 (good game, but prefered the 2D games instead of this glorified assault course)
    GTA - yes, they're fun. Yes, they're also extremely limited and only a few missions are what I'd regard as fun.
    Almost anything by EA ^_~
  • Moe-Foe 13 Aug 2004 10:31:10 87 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Splinter Cell. Spent the first hour wrestling with the camera and having to restart when I got spotted. Spent the next hour in gamestation working what to get as a replacement.
  • Angel_Treats 13 Aug 2004 10:34:11 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Tomb Raider (entire series)
    Super Mario 64 (good game, but prefered the 2D games instead of this glorified assault course)
    Exactly what I would have picked Retroid! I thought I was the only other person on the planet who didn't sing the praises of Mario 64 - I prefer Mario World.

I'd also add Final Fantasy X - after all the hype, it was completely linear and an almighty pain the ass, which was a terrible shame.
  • Lutz 13 Aug 2004 10:34:12 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GTA - All of them
    Resident Evil - All of them
    MGS - All of them

/hurds them all up in a paddock

/hangs giant "meh" poster on paddock
  • Vroom 13 Aug 2004 10:47:41 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Gives Ajay the evil eye :o)

For me the most overrated games have been:

Double dragon : I can't believe i got so excited about this and played it to death just because everyone else was.

Paperboy : its just crap, always has been. Maybe its just me but its just too hard. :o(

moving up to date :-

Final fantasy (whichever one) : I did try to get into it, i did.

KOTR : As above, i really did try but it just went on and on without getting particularly exciting.

Mario Sunshine : expected more.

Vroom

• winston 13 Aug 2004 10:51:40 17 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gran Turismo. I liked the first one because it was a big leap in the driving sim i suppose. And it looked superb, and was great fun. But the sequels got tiring, it had been done before, the annoying tactics of ramming other cars which doesn't effect your cars speed much and shows no damage.. it got boring. I sold GT3 a while ago as it was mind-numbingly dull. I won't even bother with GT4.
  • Dr.Haggard 13 Aug 2004 10:53:19 4,180 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely everyone knows Ninja Gaiden is teh winar! After all the build up it was probably the most disappointing game experience I've had in years (and this is coming from a self confessed hack 'n' slash fanatic).

Also agree about BG&E, to an extent. I kind of liked it, but my daughter loved it, which sort of sums it up for me. After a while I couldn't be bothered any more, it was all a bit silly, but I watched her play a few times and I was impressed by many of the levels and sequences. There's no doubt it's an original, inventive and very polished game, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Edit: agree about Black & White too - loved it for about 3 hours, then realised I'd been had.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 09:54:42 13-08-2004
  • Pinchy 13 Aug 2004 10:55:17 842 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    in my experience metroid prime totally polarises opinion. some people hate it wheras others, like me, think its the best game thats come out on the gamecube and one of the top 3 games of this generation. but thats opinions for you.

as for overrated games, the whole grand theft auto series totally passed me by. I played them, got bored very very quickly and played something else. just found them to be hugely repetitive and dull with a 'look, we can kill pedestrians' factor that was there to cover up the mediocre gameplay. but then, some people love it and hate MP...
  • mugwump 13 Aug 2004 12:46:43 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KOTOR - big disappointment for me! Sure the voice acting was excellent and the script was good, but the game engine really knarked me off. Invisible walls just emphasised how fake each location was, strip away the paint and the dungeon-ness of it all felt painfully obvious. The gameplay fell into the trap of travel from A to B then back to A again but - if you're lucky - possibly via C: this was just plain boring. I can only guess it was the story that fooled so many people into thinking they were playing a great game, as I just didn't get it!? :p

BG&E - definitely another overrated one. I felt completely nannied by the way I was guided through the whole game, and again I never felt really in control of the main character. The story was very cute, the locations were different (not as good as Jak II), and the music was definitely catching. However, I think the end result was style over content (like KOTOR?). No way could this match up to the other Ubisoft big gun: PoP.

So there you have it. I'm a whore for control and content! :)
  • semprini 13 Aug 2004 12:59:09 3,144 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd agree with Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo 3, and Final Fantasy X.

...but I can't think of anything else. It's Friday and my brain isn't working.
  • marilena 13 Aug 2004 13:08:35 8,201 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uhm, let's see if I can surprise you.

Baldur's Gate! I tried playing it (again) last week and i just couldn't. It's bad. In fact, almost all Bioware games have the same effect on me.

By the way, there was a similar thread, not a long time ago. If I remember corectly, I mentioned Gran Turismo, GTA3, Tomb Raider and Half-Life in that thread. I maintain my position on them.
  • MetalDog 13 Aug 2004 13:23:24 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me, going to have to agree with a few people here.

Resident Evil
    GTA3

Not that they were /bad/, I just couldn't understand why people got so 'wowed' by them. Particularly Resident Evil, wherein the scariest thing was the controls - much prefer Eternal Darkness and was scared more by Thief. GTA3... too much timed crap for my tastes.

Neverwinter Nights

Basically Baldurs Gate with a few extra knobs and much as I tried to like Baldurs Gate, it tends to bore me after awhile. Not even sure why.

Halo

Nothing I haven't seen before. Seriously. Pretty, maybe, but looks are only a tiny fraction of a game's fun to me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing it - but it's /not/ 'all that'. It's like the Star Wars of the gaming world - it's a good fun thing, but it doesn't deserve the adulation it gets.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Big-Swiss 13 Aug 2004 13:24:39 8,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hmm lets see:

DEVIL MAY CRY 2
    was too short with Dantee and too hard with the woman (never made it past the fire spiting rock)
    also, there was not enough diffrenz to the first one.

GTA? well I agree that VICE CITY was overrated, but the first one, GTA3 was that innovation @ the time, I remember being overwhelmed by that game.

MGS2: I was disapointed from the first second on!

Splinter Cell: can only judge the first one, I was so exited, and after 2 hours I hated it like cucumbers! Fischer! you got spotted!............I don't give a shit!

------------------------------------------------------------
    GLADIUS was underrated, a perfect experience, I gave it 9 out of 10!!!!!! really worth the money as nothing else
    ------------------------------------------------------------

SPIDER MAN2: sorry but after a while it is just anoying! even dou the swinging is very fluent, the interest was very quick lost.

GT (all of them): I bought every one, and didn't like any of them, perhaps I'm just not enough into cars, but I didn't play one longer then a week.?!? everyone else loves them!

that should be enough for the moment!

ou, and by the way, nobody should ever by THE UNDERWORLD, I literaly thru it out of the window, not the case, just the disc! it isn't even worth a penny!

• marilena 13 Aug 2004 13:39:19 8,201 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes and no. I don't get Garn Turismo, true, but I get Baldur's Gate. I just don't like it.
  • MetalDog 13 Aug 2004 14:02:09 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    marilena wrote:
    Yes and no. I don't get Garn Turismo, true, but I get Baldur's Gate. I just don't like it.

But if you get it, you understand why people like it - and if there is reason for people to like it, it's not "overrated", it's just a game you don't like :-D But it's just semantics, really.

It's possible to like something and still consider it overrated. I can love a game like I would love a deformed puppy - if a lot of people said it was 'perfect', I'd consider them delusional =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Dr.Haggard 13 Aug 2004 14:07:01 4,180 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to concede that where Ninja Gaiden is concerned it's just a matter of taste, not a bad game as such. It just wasn't what I expected. What I expected was a deep and engrossing third person hack 'n' slash adventure, what I got was an arcade game. I hate it I tell you.

Then again, the way kids talk about it on Xbox forums as if it's the second coming, I think 'overrated' is an understatement.

The same could be said for BG&E; good game, just not my cup of tea. These 'kiddy' style (I just know I'm going to get ripped apart for that remark) action adventures just don't engage me, I couldn't muster any interest in the characters, the story or the world. I won't deny it's a good game though.

However something like Black & White could be said to be overrated and certainly overhyped. The huge build up over several years and the 90%+ reviews, then it turned out to be a non-game, a collection of impressive features with no game.

/winces at mentions of Half-Life and Tomb Raider(1) in this thread

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 13:11:14 13-08-2004
  • Plob 13 Aug 2004 14:13:40 111 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok,
    I dont't get GTA3 or VC for reasons explained by people before better than i could do,
    I dont't get BG&E. achingly dull.
    I dont't get Devil May Cry. At all.
    I dont't get Super Mario 64. totally dull. loved the 2D stuff though
    I dont't get Zelda LTTP. It's rubbish. Loved all the ones after it though.
    I dont't get viewtiful Joe, but then most people don't.
    I dont't get Rez. I think i'll sell my dreamcast version.
    I dont't get Conkers bad fur day. it was appalling.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

EDIT, and I don't get Halo. Dull!

Edited by Plob at 13:14:47 13-08-2004
  • Dr.Haggard 13 Aug 2004 14:16:22 4,180 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /buys everyone a copy of Riddick to restore the collective faith
  • merk 13 Aug 2004 14:18:42 143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lies, lies, Riddick is a good game, not entirely original, but slick.

For most overrated I would have to say:

The Sony Playstation 2.
  • Stevas-mkII 13 Aug 2004 14:26:22 3,848 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    Riddick is RIDICULOUSLY OVERRATED and that's a FACT.

Reasons?
  • marilena 13 Aug 2004 14:29:38 8,201 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    The same could be said for BG&E; good game, just not my cup of tea. These 'kiddy' style action adventures just don't engage me.

Oi! I should rip you apart for that remark! It's not kiddy, it's deep and inteligent. And with style. Not kiddy style, just style.

And yes, I don't like Half-Life, like I don't like most single-player FPSs. If I try a little, I think I can write here every FPS that I found to be engaging in single-player. Let's see: Duke Nukem 3D, No One Lives Forever, Alien vs Predator, Serious Sam, Halo, Undying... Well, maybe there are more of them, but still, very few.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous