Far Cry 3 Page 19

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• MrWonderstuff 30 Nov 2012 09:18:56 1,922 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Also found out vsync is broken. Switched it off and got better frame rates.
    That would make sense if your PC dips below your refresh value and forces the FPS to go to the next level down which is 30 (triple buffering helps which Far Cry uses if you set the Vsync value to 2 or 3 but it gets pegged at 30 in my case). Turning it off you would get better framerates as you have between 0-60 fps to play with just if it reaches 60 (or your refresh rate) you will get tearing.

I had the same issue and have turned off vsync but will cap the framerate at 55 or so so I don't get tearing.
  • Zizoo 30 Nov 2012 09:20:45 8,115 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/730703-Unable-to-connect-to-Far-Cry-3-server
    Extreme DRM?.
  • waggy79 30 Nov 2012 09:20:47 915 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So after waiting 3 hours for a 9 gb install it's pretty much broken. Sigh.
  • Maturin 30 Nov 2012 09:22:47 2,890 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    Also found out vsync is broken. Switched it off and got better frame rates.
    That would make sense if your PC dips below your refresh value and forces the FPS to go to the next level down which is 30 (triple buffering helps which Far Cry uses if you set the Vsync value to 2 or 3 but it gets pegged at 30 in my case). Turning it off you would get better framerates as you have between 0-60 fps to play with just if it reaches 60 (or your refresh rate) you will get tearing.

I had the same issue and have turned off vsync but will cap the framerate at 55 or so so I don't get tearing.
    I know how it should work, but it's not working right. I'd expect it to sync to the refresh rate of my monitor as all my other games do. But it's locking below that. So I can get 70-80fps unlocked, but just 40-50 and not very constant when locked. Maybe that's how they intended it to work, but other games don't do it that way.
  • B0rked_Gamer 30 Nov 2012 09:37:56 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The vertical synchronization in FC3 is broken at the moment. It's frame skipping all over the place and that should not happen when it is supposed to be synced to the displays refresh rate. They include two options for vsync (?) which is something I've never seen in a game before then they also include a frames buffered option or whatever the fuck which does fuck all except make things skip around more.
  • Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 09:42:12 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    So yeah, 10/10 Ubisoft.

Amazing what a bit of advertising revenue can do for a score ;)
  • B0rked_Gamer 30 Nov 2012 09:45:39 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair Eurogamer reviewed the Xbox version (which tears like a motherfucker). Always take at least 2 points off an EG review of a Ubisoft title. Assassin's Creed 3 got a 9/10 for example despite the actual text contained in the review pointing to an average game at best.

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 09:47:27 30-11-2012
  • Maturin 30 Nov 2012 09:53:18 2,890 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't get me wrong. The game itself is excellent fun so far. Just has some annoying technical issues.
  • RelaxedMikki 30 Nov 2012 10:09:49 927 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fuck. "360 version tears like a motherfucker". I don't like the sound of that.

Anybody tried the old 'switch to 720p' trick? Never works for me, but some folks reckon that games tear more when upscaled to 1080?

I guess I'll find out for myself this evening. I hate screen tear, it screws my eyes up - I really focus on it. I guess I'll just have to role-play my way through it and pretend it's a deliberate visual effect caused by the bangs on the head and funny jungle drugs that Jason Brody's been subject too...
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Nov 2012 10:09:55 3,267 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well holy shit.

This is, without a doubt, the best game i've played this year.

I only had two hours on it last night and i didnt even get to Dr. Whatshisfaces house, i did the first few tutorial bits and as soon as the game set me free......i was gone. Like a toddler running around with his arms in the air.

I was hunting down and skinning animals, liberating pirate bases, flying around on gliders, driving around in jeeps, upgrading my kit and weapons, getting new tattoo upgrades, etc, etc. All this, without doing any "proper" missions.

I had a really good "OMGTHATSAWESOME!" moment last night too : I found a small pirate camp and had a good aerial view of it, so i got the camera out and marked all the pirates (think there were four in total). After ballsing up my first attempt at liberating a pirate base (dog spotted me, bullets flew, etc), i decided to play this one stealthily.

Got in close, took down the first guy (i love the fact that you dont have to be practically IN the guys ass to do a takedown on this too, couple of feet away is a genius bit of design work). Followed the next one, stuck my knife in his neck - retreated into a small boat wreckage whilst one of his mates said "Holy shit, whos body is that?" - as he inspected the body, i sprinted up behind him and bled him out.

The final guy was slightly elevated with a sniper rifle - he spotted the two dead bodies and started scanning the area for targets (me). I got out my flare gun and shot it at one of their trucks to distract him. Then, the jeep caught fire. He turned to look at the burning vehicle, panicked, and within seconds, i was behind him, violently inserting the knife into his armpit.

Done. Small pirate camp liberated in about 90 seconds with no alarms set off and everyone killed silently with the knife. This game does a terrific job of making you feel like a fucking sexual tyrannosaurus!

Anyway, so, two hours of gameplay, only about 1% of the campaign done and its very close to my GOTY already.

Wow.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• DUFFMAN5 30 Nov 2012 10:15:21 14,424 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave
    Hi mate if you like it, I'm happy :)
    Should have mine soon, need to complete Family Guy first though.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RelaxedMikki 30 Nov 2012 10:15:39 927 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice write up! To borrow somebody else's pun, my Brody is ready for this (sorry!)

360 version is playable then?

Phew,
  • RedSparrows 30 Nov 2012 10:35:32 22,069 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is the game still as quietly oppressive as FC2? For all its flaws I loved the feeling of the world, the never-quite-able-to-see-to-the-horizon feel of the geography and characters. It was all so dense.
  • Vortex808 30 Nov 2012 10:42:43 6,973 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As if I weren't excited enough as it is, Ultrasoundwave has to post that!

This is going to be a looong mofo'ing day at work now.

The postie better have delivered this today!
  • krushing 30 Nov 2012 10:46:12 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One thing I've been pleasantly surprised by is that the characters & dialogue are so well done, given the context. It's way too easy to overwrite & act "crazy" characters, but these feel pretty realistic (although I can't say I have very much experience with murderous lunatics or drugged-out doctors). Brody's "transformation" is, of course, pretty unnatural - the "oh shit" scaredy schoolboy of the intro sequence goes into a calm killing machine as soon as the tutorials are over, but then again I'm not sure if any game ever pulled off a plausible explanation for murdering hundreds of people.
  • Zerobob 30 Nov 2012 10:47:21 1,605 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Is the game still as quietly oppressive as FC2? For all its flaws I loved the feeling of the world, the never-quite-able-to-see-to-the-horizon feel of the geography and characters. It was all so dense.
    You never really feel safe, if that 's what you mean. There are enemy patrols all over the place and lots of wildlife capable of rushing you at any given moment.

It's great really. You are the hunter and the hunted all at once. At first I was trying to rush in and just kill everyone and everything, but stealth and tracking targets with a camera is definitely the way to play the game. I saved up and bought the bolt action sniper rifle last night, so can't wait to see how that opens up the game tonight.
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Nov 2012 10:47:29 3,267 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Imagine if Far Cry 2 had been 100 times better than what it was - thats what Far Cry 3 is.

Seriously, i hated Far Cry 2. I thought it was a major pain in the buttocks. You can see certain little things that have transferred over from Far Cry 2 (the driving is pretty much the same, etc) but its SOOOO much better.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• RedSparrows 30 Nov 2012 10:53:17 22,069 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Imagine if Far Cry 2 had been 100 times better than what it was - thats what Far Cry 3 is.

Seriously, i hated Far Cry 2. I thought it was a major pain in the buttocks. You can see certain little things that have transferred over from Far Cry 2 (the driving is pretty much the same, etc) but its SOOOO much better.
    That's not what I asked - I loved FC2, warts and all, because it did what very few games do: created a really thick atmosphere (even the flaws contributed, weirdly). I'd love to get FC3 as it seems so good, but the talk of popups and stats and XP crap doesn't help.
  • itinkuravinalaff 30 Nov 2012 10:55:25 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    360 is defo playable and brilliant but a patch to calm and correct the graphics (could be screen tear, not sure) would make this perfect but after playing couple of hours it was lot less noticeable.
  • Zizoo 30 Nov 2012 11:02:31 8,115 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Disgusted by this Uplay stealth DRM bollocks. I can not play the game now, offline or otherwise. As soon as I use the menu I'm screwed, can't use skills, loot pack, crafting or save and the moment I go back to the game it freezes.
    Is this issue only on PC? You don't need to be on PSN on PS3 or XBL on 360 do you?
  • FuzzyDuck 30 Nov 2012 11:03:11 3,914 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What the hell is up with the excessive SSAO (on PS3)? Complete overkill. It certainly does tear a noticeable amount, but it's only a few frames at a time, probably comparable to AC: Bro'hood.

Had the game bug out on me once already after about an hour - it left me unable to draw weapons, crouch, interact with the environment. Quit to title screen and reload fixed that.

Games does look to have massive potential for fun, so I'm happy to overlook the issues for now.

Edit - just logged into the PSN, 93Mb patch ahoy. Wonder what this does.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 11:07:41 30-11-2012
  • Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 11:08:52 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have to admit, I don't like the big huge uPlay badge things on screen. They were designed by 4 year olds?
  • Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 11:10:10 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :lol: touche
  • FuzzyDuck 30 Nov 2012 13:31:40 3,914 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just turned it off, encountered a similar situation where I'm out 'in the wild', can select my weapon, the guy draws it, but puts it away almost instantly. And i have to use the L2 select to get it out, hitting aim or fire doesn't work.

Seems like a great game with issues, bah. Hope ye PC guys get sorted soon, those problems sound like a nightmare.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last