Far Cry 3 Page 2

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• RedSparrows 29 Aug 2010 18:37:40 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    1. If guns are going to jam, at least let the oppositions do like wise.

Has any game ever had this? It'd be atmospheric if done right. Could make it so depending on the situation they hide and try to fix it, call their buddies to cover, run away, come at you with a pistol or knife etc.

I think they did, but I can't recall for certain.

The maps were great - the middle bits were more tangled, but the entire outer edges were far more open and free.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • polaris70 27 Jan 2011 12:53:23 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got Far Cry 2 again for a fiver at Blockbusters. I'm really enjoying it more second time around, and it hasn't aged a bit, still one of the best looking games on xbox in my opinion. The best thing about it besides the graphics, scenery etc is the missions. You really have to recce and use your brain to make the missions easier. Going in full frontal with all guns blazing is suicide on hardcore. But pulling off a mission after working out a plan is really satisfying, I can sit there just watching the objective for 10 minutes working out the best plan. We all know about the respawning guardposts but I just skirt them or go cross-country.

Really looking forward to Far Cry 3 and hope it gets revealed sometime soon.
  • Zerobob 27 Jan 2011 13:05:01 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its technically a superb game is Far Cry 2. That's the thing that kept my interest; I'd never grow tired of just stopping in the middle of a grassy field, dry grass rustling in the wind, and thinking "They've got the atmosphere and realism spot on"....then I'd torch the field with a flamethrower :)

Shame the mechanics of the actual game are absolutely terrible. If they added more mission types, the ability to actually sneak around using stealth unnoticed, checkpoints where the enemies don't respawn when you aren't looking, and the ability to climb any hill you want and it would have been a superb game.
  • polaris70 27 Jan 2011 13:24:19 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah had to sell my xbox 2 years ago and hadn't completed this game - only about 50%. Anyway got another xbox a month or so ago and played RDR and loved it. Then was looking for another open-world game and completely forgot about this until I saw it in Blockbusters for a fiver.

First time round I was playing it like COD. Just going in trying to shoot anything and getting killed a lot ha. This time around I'm being more mellow and using my head more and the game is far more rewarding. Regarding stealth, I'm not sure if it was patched or it's just the way I'm playing it now but I'm getting far more kills with my machete as sneaking up on the enemy seems easier, and I haven't got the Camo suit yet.
  • cianchristopher 27 Jan 2011 13:26:54 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you make the first gun you buy a sniper rifle, this actually turns into one of the best games ever.

Edit: Far Cry 2, that is. I'm only halfway through Far Cry 3, so can't give an accurate opinion.
  • RedSparrows 27 Jan 2011 17:45:50 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Far Cry 2 is one of the most played and absorbing games I've ever had. To say I love it isn't accurate, but I didn't hate it. So immersive, so open, so dark. People rarely talk about the game with much more than general disdain for pour, but not game-breaking, design choices that you can so easily work around. Which is a shame. Particularly when so many moan about generic, ambitious titles...
  • RedSparrows 27 Jan 2011 17:46:48 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    *unambitious
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 17:46:58
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think Far Cry 2 is one of the most played and absorbing games I've ever had. To say I love it isn't accurate, but I didn't hate it. So immersive, so open, so dark. People rarely talk about the game with much more than general disdain for pour, but not game-breaking, design choices that you can so easily work around. Which is a shame. Particularly when so many moan about generic, ambitious titles...
    Sums it up perfectly imo.
  • dsmx 27 Jan 2011 18:08:34 7,555 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me they weren't game breaking design choices either but they needlessly stretched the game out and I couldn't look past them in the end.

I started off liking it but as time went on I found it harder and harder to look past being forced to travel for what seemed like 20 minutes for every mission then travel another 20 minutes back. Then there was the same mission throughout the game and every mission unfolded the same way, then clearing those fucking checkpoints every time on the way there and back. Everything in the game I experienced seemed to be there to pad out the game or they didn't have enough time or money to do it properly.

It wasn't a bad game just that it seemed that no-one played through it before release to actually see that it was fun, it is not fun being forced to travel for long distances for 80% of the game.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Pumpatron 27 Jan 2011 19:24:16 374 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FC2 was nearly a great game, the freedom to play at your own pace and tackle missions how you wanted to was great. The clunky gun-play, repetitive mission objectives, and of course the magic respawning check points are what stopped it being a really great game for me.

I remember one high ledge with some goodies on it, there was a ladder laying on the ground so you had to trek round to find the path up. Why the fuck couldn't I just put the ladder back upright, and you know, climb it? It's funny that a game which gives you so much freedom doesn't let you do some simple things.

I'd like to have more freedom in the environment, with better checkpoint respawns and more mission variety, the gun-play made slicker, oh and let me buy different weapon attachments, and then Far Cry 3 would be amazing.
  • RedSparrows 27 Jan 2011 20:02:48 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not totally sure where this repetitive mission thing comes from. By that I mean, sure, the objectives are 'kill or explode someone/thing', but since when was there an FPS that didn't have that? The actual approaches you can take are far more varied than most shooters.

The thing with the game is, the travelling IS part of the experience, the negotiation of the undergrowth to avoid checkpoints/the route planning etc. I understand that it's not for everyone, but nor is it de facto a bad thing.
  • staal2005 27 Jan 2011 20:10:56 63 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've compared FC2 to friends as slow-food. Only got up to roughly 40% of the story, but will probably pick it up within a month. I didn't finish because only slow-food isn't quit my diet.
  • MrWonderstuff 27 Jan 2011 23:02:43 1,922 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great game. Everyone should give it a go - especially at a fiver.
  • frugtkompot 28 Jan 2011 08:33:16 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Far Cry 2 was lovely - the main problem was that it forgot that games are also supposed to be fun, and it did its best to remove all kinds of fun from the game.

I still have a glorious memory of setting some grass on fire and watching it overwhelm a camp and killing everyone without me moving a muscle. That's rare for a game - when chance takes it upon itself to go on rampage like that.
  • krushing 28 Jan 2011 09:45:53 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Besides all the obvious problems already mentioned - which I think should actually be pretty easy to fix, btw - I'd like to see a mature infrastucture beneath governing the movement of troops and the influence of factions, so instead of having respawning guards, they would first have to find out that a guard post has been destroyed by having a roaming patrol that checked on places, or radio or something...and then the reinforcements would be sent out from a physical location, instead of just appearing out of thin air. This would make using mines and traps and all such stuff much more feasible and interesting, and actually allowing the player to make somewhat strategic decisions that would have at least a semi-permanent impact on things.

You could then extend this further by having different factions periodically to try and take over each other's outposts and such, and the player could then swing things in his favour by joining in on either side.

Anyway - bring on number 3. Really enjoyed 2 despite all its flaws.
  • tankboi 28 Jan 2011 09:58:15 1 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They created dangerous animals like Lions and crocs etc...but didnt include them in the game! One of the many unforgivable design choices made in FC2 by Ubisoft. But thats what you get from a company thats made almost entirely from amazing artists and no designers :)

not being able to go prone or switch to single-fire mode was absolute concrete evidence of this! Why they neglected the sneaking aspect (the backbone, blood and guts of FarCry), is beyond me.
  • Zerobob 28 Jan 2011 10:14:17 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    Far Cry 2 was lovely - the main problem was that it forgot that games are also supposed to be fun, and it did its best to remove all kinds of fun from the game.

I still have a glorious memory of setting some grass on fire and watching it overwhelm a camp and killing everyone without me moving a muscle. That's rare for a game - when chance takes it upon itself to go on rampage like that.

I did that accidently too. It was great! Shame they respawned again 10 minutes later.

But yes, I 100% agree that the game forgot to be fun and let the player do fun things. Malaria? Constantly respawning camps? Cliffs you can't climb to snipe from? Enemies who's eyes have been transplanted with an eagle?

It isn't fun to have to take malaria pills every half hour, especially during a firefight.

It isn't fun to take out a camp, do a mission, and then on your way back out of the mission area suddenly realise the camp you took out has magically respawned.

It isn't fun to be confined mostly to ground level in such a big open world, or be funnelled into mission areas the way the game creators want you to.

It isn't fun to be spotted when you are sitting in the middle of a cluster of bushes.

Ditch the malaria pills, ditch respawning enemies, put in more mountains closer to objectives (to snipe from) and make the enemies stupider. It may make the game easier but at least people will have fun and actually want to finish the game.
  • dsmx 28 Jan 2011 10:35:54 7,555 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    or go play just cause 2 which basically took the same concept but was actually fun.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Raiko101 28 Jan 2011 11:01:40 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked how you could feel like Rambo in this game. You could snipe out a hideout before passing through, or you could waste all your grenades and fire in a few rockets instead and have any survivors running about in a panic as you run in to finish them off.

I can't wait for the third game as I want to put the map editor to some good use again! A good few user maps really put the standard multiplayer maps to shame!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kenzo88 28 Jan 2011 13:03:45 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    If you make the first gun you buy a sniper rifle, this actually turns into one of the best games ever.

Edit: Far Cry 2, that is. I'm only halfway through Far Cry 3, so can't give an accurate opinion.

Half way through Far Cry 3 ????
  • RedSparrows 6 Jun 2011 23:51:29 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    E3 vid

Very glad it's still open world et al. Think I'll miss Africa though, for some reason :s

Heart of Darkness vibe = approved.
  • AaronTurner 6 Jun 2011 23:57:12 7,591 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hope the camera is a gameplay element and not just for show in the trailer, I love that kind of stuff.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 00:02:17 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The telescope was in FC2, to an extent. I imagine there'll be a 'scouting' tool to check out large open areas, and perhaps cameras will come into that.

Really, it's that open world and atmosphere that I want in this. It's like no other game I've played for that (Far Cry 2, that is). Dark, oppressive, brutal, and then oddly beautiful.
  • Syrette 7 Jun 2011 00:03:21 43,061 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That looks fucking fantastic.

• FWB 7 Jun 2011 00:04:53 43,806 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No bloody constantly spawning AIs please. And give those that are there a brain.
  • RedSparrows 7 Jun 2011 00:05:50 22,001 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They admitted after release the checkpoints were a mistake.

You really could mitigate them, however. I know they pissed people off no end, but I found I could skip 50% of them, at least, and worked out how to escape the others sharpish.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Jun 2011 02:16:16 7,137 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they stopped them from respawning so frequently and introduced factions so you weren't constantly being attacked by every single person then it wouldn't be so bad.
  • wogsy81 7 Jun 2011 04:03:25 717 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game looks bloody fantastic to me.

I have very fond memories of playing Far Cry 2 at 2am in the morning during the final hour of the game where you are getting very close to "The Jackal" villain.
    It was an amazing gaming experience.

A developer vid is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuseKGafCvo

The only thing is all that "xp 10" bollocks popping up every time you get a kill.
    That has its place in the multiplayer but please keep it out of the single player.
    Talk about breaking my immersion.

I can put up with the gold glow on the pick-upable items and the "press A" button prompts but that "xp" crap really has to go.

Neways, the game looks fantastic. The wait is gonna kill me.
  • Yossarian 7 Jun 2011 10:20:56 8,401 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you don't like Far Cry 2, you don't actually like shooters.

You like spectacle.

But don't worry, you are the target market for everything.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last