Far Cry 3 Page 77

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• imamazed 26 Jul 2013 10:03:37 5,524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    [SPOILER]Well, without going too much into it; the whole game is a post-modern tale about video games. The game plays with the protagonist and his companions. Are you in control of someone in the story, or are you, the player of a video game, the story. On the face of it, the game is about someone going deeper and deeper into the jungle and "going native". But I see it more as exploring the link between the player and the character, and how videogames ask you to do certain things that seem out of place. Yes, Vaas could have killed you at any point, but that wouldn't make a very good video game would it. The game and even the characters know this. Everything about the game is self-aware. I appreciate it'd be easy to just claim that in order to excuse some "poor" gameplay decisions, but once you start to "get" the game, every facet of it seems like a cohesive whole. It just all comes together brilliantly once you realise that.

Does that make any sense? I'm not sure I've explained it very well. But I thought the game's story was audaciously brilliant, and superbly understated.
  • Deleted user 26 July 2013 10:13:34
    I played the game up to the point that Triggerhappytel did and i have no idea where you are getting any of that from.

It's a pretty looking, bog-standard open world shooter with a cack story. It isn't some deep and meaningful exploration of the nature of videogaming itself and i can't even begin to see why anyone would think any different.
  • imamazed 26 Jul 2013 10:23:35 5,524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair enough. As I say, it is subtle and I'm certainly not the only person to have picked up on it.
  • Triggerhappytel 26 Jul 2013 13:39:43 2,678 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't get any of that from the plot at all. Someone from a Blood Dragon review said it best (I think it was here on EG) : FC3 was a dumb game masquerading as an intelligent one, while Blood Dragon was a dumb game that knew it was a dumb game. This, I agree with.
  • imamazed 26 Jul 2013 13:51:15 5,524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not actually played Blood Dragon, but I think that's unfair on FC3. The whole point is it outwardly resembles a "dumb" game. Which is either is or isn't. I obviously think it isn't, but each to their own; I can see why you'd think that.
  • ModishNouns 26 Jul 2013 14:26:28 4,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FC3 is a lot better if you rinse the story as quickly as possible and then reset the outposts.

You can then set about exploring, collecting and experimenting with one of the best guerrilla warfare sandboxes out there.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jul 2013 14:27:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    agreed.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jul 2013 14:39:12 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I've not actually played Blood Dragon, but I think that's unfair on FC3. The whole point is it outwardly resembles a "dumb" game. Which is either is or isn't. I obviously think it isn't, but each to their own; I can see why you'd think that.
    I really wanted to like it because stylistically it's super cool. Got bored of it though, as said above, just fucking with outposts in vanilla Far Cry 3 is the bestest.
  • bobdebob 26 Jul 2013 14:53:33 553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine
    Doesn't blood dragon have any out posts?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jul 2013 14:57:16 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah it does. The game just didn't grab me; It's not as pretty as Far Cry 3. Dunno, might have just burned out by the time I got to Blood Dragon I guess.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:57:38 26-07-2013
  • AcidSnake 6 Aug 2013 09:48:18 7,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I've just (halfway point spoiler) killed Vaas and now have to protect CIA dude and his airplane (spoiler free version: stupid protect mission) problem is this pretty much sucks...Not just the stupid difficulty (which is just another challenge) but the way it checkpoints before that making you kill the same dudes in the same ways before getting to the hard bit where the protected wanders off to die in a corner somewhere...

So my question is, is it worth continuing?
    The last few plot missions were increasingly annoying where your only options were point blank combat...Is the second half any better?
    Also I found Vaas to be an interesting antagonist, whereas south-african generic bad guy doesn't so far...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• imamazed 6 Aug 2013 09:55:49 5,524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I absolutely loved the game, but tbh if you haven't been digging it so far, I'm not sure that you'd enjoy the rest of the game. Outside of some set pieces the last third is noticeably weaker than the rest of the game. I still had an absolute blast on the second island and was totally hooked by the story, but if you're not, I wouldn't worry about it tbh!
  • Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2013 10:06:25 13,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mix in more of the non-story missions and you might enjoy it more. Just focusing on the story is, in many ways, showing the game at its worst. Take a few towers. Storm a few bases. Punch a few sharks in the face and make wallets from their scrotums. Fun times.
  • AcidSnake 6 Aug 2013 10:07:05 7,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not that I don't like the game, I do, it's just when the game forces some ruleset on me that I start enjoying it less...

Like in some sections where stealth is suddenly not an option...Or like now when you need to defend some guy so you can hop a plane to the next island? Why? I can swim! Or I'll grab a boat...
    Or quicktime events...

I'd just prefer it if I got there I'd find some mission more similar to taking outposts instead of corridor shooters...

@Phattso:
    There's nothing left to take :)
    Apart from some hunter quests I've taken everything...

Edited by AcidSnake at 10:08:14 06-08-2013

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2013 10:09:52 13,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not spoiling too much by saying that the second island is like a slightly smaller version of the first with much the same fun to be had. In fact I enjoyed parts of it a lot more.

Stick with it. Not too long to go now. :)
  • AcidSnake 6 Aug 2013 10:12:16 7,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, thought they'd be roughly the same size...I think I just got unnerved when during that protect mission the guy said we were ready and suddenly there was another round of enemies, throwing me back for the fifth time to the beginning of the damn mission...

• mrpon 17 Aug 2013 17:07:36 28,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A long shot, remember when this was accidentally going for fiver somewhere, can anyone remember where that was? It was somewhere like gamersgate etc..

Sorted, it was gamestop.

Edited by mrpon at 18:34:04 17-08-2013

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 20 November 2013 13:39:16
    I've decided to go after the Platinum trophy. Is it possible to get the multiplayer trophies by doing the missions offline? Haven't used the online code and don't see the point in using it just for this / can't be arsed with online.
  • StixxUK 15 Dec 2013 13:42:45 7,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started playing this at last (vanilla FC3 not Blood Dragon)... and it's really fucking good.

Having not played any of the Far Cry (or Crysis for that matter, not sure how similar they are) games in the past this is just really fun. Story is nonsense but it's all about exploring, mucking around and setting up outpost assaults for maximum carnage.

Can't see it having massive long term appeal, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The only problem I sometimes have with big open world games (GTA V) is that I stop having fun and just play it to try and finish the story. Much better just to have a story that doesn't really matter (although does occasionally get in the way) and not feel bad about missing out on it.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Dec 2013 14:30:41 16,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Can't see it having massive long term appeal, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The only problem I sometimes have with big open world games (GTA V) is that I stop having fun and just play it to try and finish the story. Much better just to have a story that doesn't really matter (although does occasionally get in the way) and not feel bad about missing out on it.
    I'd say it was worth following the main story until you open up the other island. There are some class missions that are varied and fun. I liked the whole thing but the consensus is that the last third is pretty rubbish.

You are a factory of sadness.

• StixxUK 17 Dec 2013 09:33:55 7,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One thing I have found is that like so many games this suffers from the weapons feeling weightless and impactless.

Hopefully people understand what I mean, some games have a feel where you can almost feel the impact when guns are fired and hit home. Half Life was probably the earliest example where I noticed it. Anyway this doesn't.

Just discoveres you can set things on fire which is probably going to determine my assault strategy for a while!
  • smoothpete 17 Dec 2013 09:43:14 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's in my top 3 games of the generation. I'm currently playing through taking down all the bases again. I know it's a bit of a cliche but the whole emergent gameplay thing keeps it interesting. I was being totally sneaky and attempting to stealth a base when a tiger arrived and it all kicked off. Good fun!
  • StixxUK 17 Dec 2013 09:55:59 7,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Immersive environment plus emergent gameplay ftw!
  • smoothpete 17 Dec 2013 10:18:18 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought the story was excellent too, but I seem to be in the minority there.
  • imamazed 17 Dec 2013 10:20:05 5,524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @smoothpete no I thought it was excellent too. Without being too pompous, I think a lot of those that dismissed it just didn't properly comprehend it. It's up there for me as well

Edited by imamazed at 10:20:16 17-12-2013
  • smoothpete 17 Dec 2013 14:39:47 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think you and I enjoyed it differently. I enjoyed it entirely superficially!
  • Skirlasvoud 21 Dec 2013 18:56:49 231 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm curious now that this is on sale... however,

I saw some posts that complained about the homogenization of the Ubisoft titles. I've just finished Assassin's creed 4 and I don't want to play a game that's TOO similar.

Besides the modern weapons and first person nature of Far Cry 3, how comparable is it to AC:Black flag?

Will I be island hopping and taking out bases constantly yet again?
  • StixxUK 21 Dec 2013 19:03:06 7,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is a game very much about Island hopping and taking out bases of pirates.

I haven't played ass creed 4 but I can see there being some similarities.
  • Derblington 21 Dec 2013 19:18:09 21,353 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say, although the game structure is very similar, FC3 is well worth playing. It's great looking, the mechanics are really solid and it's just a lot of fun.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Dec 2013 19:45:50 14,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved FC3 (and the earlier games/Blood Dragon) and yes it does share a good few things with the AC series, but stands alone as a great adventure and most of all a FUN game and that is why we spend so many hours playing instead of doing "grown up" things :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 79 First / Last