Far Cry 3 Page 73

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• NewbieZilla 13 Feb 2013 21:27:05 239 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    killersrquiet wrote:I've always wanted to try sky rim although I'm sure I'd like it. Probably why I liked far cry.
    It's Skyrim, not Sky Rim.
  • killersrquiet 13 Feb 2013 22:01:30 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    NewbieZilla wrote:
    killersrquiet wrote:I've always wanted to try sky rim although I'm sure I'd like it. Probably why I liked far cry.
    It's Skyrim, not Sky Rim.
    I love predictive text
  • motti82 14 Feb 2013 10:02:18 2,862 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still enjoying this game, managed to get all the upgrades done on the first island. Now moved onto the second island. Its still got challenge in it. I think i will be able to finish it. Tend to play it for a bit after some Blop 2, they merge quite well into each other.
  • ModishNouns 19 Feb 2013 09:40:20 4,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're patching in an outpost reset according to the front page. This is good news.

Edited by ModishNouns at 09:40:30 19-02-2013
  • glaeken 19 Feb 2013 09:49:01 11,083 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed. Taking the outposts was the best bit. Once they are all done I just got stuck in to finishing the story missions and there was nothing else to do after that.
  • TVoJ 19 Feb 2013 10:48:45 1,739 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm happy for the added difficulty level. Loved the game but it was just too easy by the end.
  • killersrquiet 19 Feb 2013 11:29:14 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Shame it doesn't mention anything about fixing the multiplayer issues. Guess its broken beyond caring for ubisoft.
  • timetraveler 19 Feb 2013 12:46:09 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    For me - it's the best game of the 2012 year! I recommend it especially for Far Cry 1 fans ;)
  • khaz 20 Feb 2013 04:34:47 2,701 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    They're patching in an outpost reset according to the front page. This is good news.
    For those of you playing this on the PC, there's this option as well: http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/15/
  • Luckyjim 20 Feb 2013 08:19:57 2,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Coming to the end of this. Quick question: can you carry on once you've completed the main story? I've a few trophies to mop-up and I can't be arsed doing them now.
  • Luckyjim 20 Feb 2013 08:20:47 2,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ModishNouns 20 Feb 2013 08:57:06 4,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    Coming to the end of this. Quick question: can you carry on once you've completed the main story? I've a few trophies to mop-up and I can't be arsed doing them now.
    Yes, you can carry on and do the remaining sides and collectibles.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2013 03:25:28 6,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ahh, the flare gun. I'd forgotten how satisfying it was to shoot someone in the face with that thing.

The grass isn't quite as flammable as it was in fc2, but it's still great setting up huge brush fires.
  • X201 23 Feb 2013 06:06:11 15,124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ubisoft really messed up by not having extra single player DLC available for this (extra island maybe).
    Judging by the game's reception, it would have sold very well.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2013 06:15:26 6,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Meh, the second game didn't have any either. The game is big enough that I'm not that fussed about more dlc.
  • khaz 23 Feb 2013 06:27:28 2,701 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The mod community will keep it going for years. Both FC2 and 3 have fantastic editors.

Most of FC2's irritations were fixed by modders. I can't wait to see what they do with this game. The link I posted above has already given the game a breath of fresh air.

And the flare gun is indeed awesome. :)

Edited by khaz at 06:29:02 23-02-2013
  • X201 23 Feb 2013 06:32:16 15,124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Meh, the second game didn't have any either. The game is big enough that I'm not that fussed about more dlc.
    But it would have sold and proved that there is a market beyond multiplayer map packs , which might just help in getting single player DLC for other games.
  • SomaticSense 24 Feb 2013 13:31:24 7,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fantastic job not fixing the 'permanently holstered weapons' game-ending bug Ubi, over FOUR MONTHS after release.

Just got hit by it during the Payback mission after the hallucination sequence. The fucking game autosaved mid-mission and for some ridiculously stupid reason has taken away the Abandon Quest option on this one goddamn occasion. Which means I'm stuck with it.

Fuck this shit.
  • Luckyjim 24 Feb 2013 16:06:36 2,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Posted this in recently completed games thread but also thought it'd be worth posting here as well.

Finished this last night. I do love the environment and the freedom you have approaching each new combat situation, but there were a few things that really annoyed me.

Firstly, the context sensitive controls could be a real pain in the arse. There were a few occasions when my character wouldn't put out flames or change weapon because, seemingly, the game needed to finish an animated sequence first, despite telling me to press a particular button. It usually meant that I had to give it a second or so before it would properly let me do what I needed to do, by which point I was usually dead. I also found it to be a pain when needing to quickly loot bodies for weapons when the proverbial hit the fan.

My second issue revolved around how superfluous some of the side missions were. Real rinse and repeat stuff. As others have mentioned, it seemed that they built this terrific environment and only thought after how to populate it with things to do.

My major gripe, however, was the horrible story. By any criteria the writing and characterization is terrible. The story as whole is pretty objectionable:the locals are only able to throw off the violent oppression of the pirates when ‘Snow White’ turns up, with his ivy league diploma, camera phone and douche-bag haircut.

On top of that, no one is remotely believable, relatable or likable, even the supposed ‘good guys’. In fact I’d say the main protagonist and his friends are some of the most loathsome characters you’re supposed to emphasise with I’ve ever experienced in a video game. They really do feel like they’ve been written for a teenage American market.

Part of this is inherent problem FPSs use to tell stories i.e. always using the character’s fixed perspective during exposition. Whenever a character has some big speech it's always from the completely undramatic and flat framing of Brody’s view. It feels so amateur, like watching a home video.

They also do that irritating GTA thing of making every speech long-winded, melodramatic, verbose and full of unnecessary gesticulations. It just kills any sense of tension - most character interactions are bizarre, arbitrary and cliched. Given how serious Far Cry 3 takes itself, and how adult some of the issues it addresses are, I can’t imagine this was what they were aiming for.

There’s nothing wrong with shifting the angle during exposition. Third-person games do it all the time. Why can’t FPSs do it?

Developers: cinematic conventions and language are useful for a reason. Don’t be afraid to use them. Oh, and employ better writers

Edited by Luckyjim at 16:07:13 24-02-2013
  • ecureuil 24 Feb 2013 16:16:19 76,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first person thing was weird for me. I mean how all the other characters were all up in your face. It worked fine for Vaas, since he was supposed to be a crazy dude, but even when you're talking to friends and allies, it felt like they were 2 inches in front of your face. Like, if you were to do a third person view of these people talking, it'd look like they were almost touching faces.
  • Luckyjim 24 Feb 2013 16:34:01 2,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It seems third-person games - Uncharted is a good example - can choose more cinematic angles, which really helps with the story telling. It's weird why FPS's are reluctant to do the same.
  • itinkuravinalaff 24 Feb 2013 19:53:36 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Loved the game but didn't do much for me and in the end felt a bit deflated. Think they spoilt it with the cheesy cast, just a big sigh in the end.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 20:15:36
    Ooft, the wingsuit is fucking awesome. Seriously, just attacked a base by scoping it out from afar on top of big hill. Jump off and fly, dive bomb into water and then carry out my stealth attacks.
  • drhickman1983 26 Feb 2013 12:19:11 186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been playing this on the 360 over the last week, just a couple more missions to do. It's odd, the way that it swings between being pretty awesome and being very much less-so.

Main gripes has been some of the main missions have been below par. Some have been boring, some have been infuriating. And the side "story" missions are often tedious.

But I actually like most of the cast, not so much Jason's friends, but the island dwellers have been fairly memorable, protaganists and antagonists alike.

The game is at it's best just wandering around, clearing bases and such. I like how a stealthy attempt at clearing a base can quickly turn into a small scale war (though as you get better and learn how to clear the bases this happens less which is almost a shame).

Farcry 3 has been mentioned several times on articles about Assassins Creed 3. I don't think the two are entirely comparable, but I do think both games suffer largely from the same faults.
  • Luvbeers 5 Mar 2013 13:48:24 918 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know if the 360 master difficulty / reset outpost update has been applied yet???

Edited by Luvbeers at 13:48:35 05-03-2013
  • Luvbeers 5 Mar 2013 13:55:16 918 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    actually look now on the Ubisoft website it should have gone live this morning http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/756650-PATCH-1-05-Maintenance-notice?s=12a670b2024e80840a16f81e6be5cbb3
  • ModishNouns 5 Mar 2013 14:17:04 4,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    There’s nothing wrong with shifting the angle during exposition. Third-person games do it all the time. Why can’t FPSs do it?
    The alternative is basically Peep Show which a bit weird until you get used to it. Worth a try, though, I agree.

Oh dear... risk. /shitcan
  • ModishNouns 6 Mar 2013 19:11:40 4,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Patch 1.05 including outpost reset is live on all platforms. Repeat live on all platforms.

This is not a drill.

FarCryGame (@FarCrygame) tweeted at 6:49 PM on Wed, Mar 06, 2013:
    Patch v1.05 is now available on all platforms. Here are some of the new features we've added in #FarCry3. http://t.co/RKx2dEQxpo
    (https://twitter.com/FarCrygame/status/309375193464307713)
    Edited by ModishNouns at 19:15:33 06-03-2013
  • Pumpatron 9 Mar 2013 17:39:43 371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just started a rerun on the new 'master' difficulty. Enemies do more damage now and seem to be a bit more aware. Maybe.

I'm also playing with the detection meter turned off, which seems better, I found it far too easy to avoid being seen before. I always had the jump on the enemies so was virtually never surprised by them when exploring/traveling/murdering tapirs. It's good to be on the back foot now and then.

Also I still love the random encounters in this. Was on my way back to an outpost to stock-up on ammo and find 2 pirates holding up a couple of villager's jeep, accusing them of being with rebels. It turns into a mass shout-out with the villagers screaming while bullets fly past their heads. Then minutes later save 2 more village people (not those village people), only for one of them to immediately be attacked by a komodo, so I shoot the komodo… and the villager… oops.

Edited by Pumpatron at 17:41:08 09-03-2013
  • OptimusPube 20 Mar 2013 03:42:45 2,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fucks sake, woke up too early and couldn't get back to sleep so decided to have a blast on Far Cry 3, only bought it a couple of weeks ago so I'm not that far through it and was itching to play, NOPE, their servers are down which makes the game unplayable because it freezes when you press the start button by trying to access their servers so it's in a constant loop with no option to quit without exciting the game. :(

Fuck this DRM bullshit.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Page

of 79 First / Last