Far Cry 3 Page 69

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Pumpatron 4 Jan 2013 13:32:44 374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FWB

Wow. I've also seen and been involved in loads of random encounters. Though ones involving pirates are much less frequent once you've taken the outposts in an area. But even then I've seem random encounters with NCPs being attacked by animals etc.
  • ModishNouns 4 Jan 2013 13:33:43 4,654 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Both pirates and the south island's privateers do those two man patrols. They are more frequent at the start when there are more outposts. I saw quite a few. Perfect knife throw take-down fodder. Not contrived at all ;)
  • ronuds 4 Jan 2013 13:34:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't particularly mind the fact that the enemies don't respawn - there isn't really enough to do on the island to warrant going back to any certain area anyway.
  • kinky_mong 4 Jan 2013 14:34:06 9,955 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    There is zero incentive - story or game wise - to explore. Such a waste of the world.
    Bollocks IMO. My favourite parts of the game are when I go on a diversion and find a bunker with a WW2 letter, a cave with a relic in it, or stumble into a fight between pirates and a tiger and pick off the survivor without them even knowing I was there.
    The first time, perhaps. The tenth ? The twentieth ? Who cares ? A little note of poorly written text, relics that don't require much effort (ta magic-mini-map) and as for the "random" events ? If I was an AA repair man, I'd be exasperated at the continual head-on collisions throughout the islands.
    I care. I don't need a tangible reward of weapons or unlocked skills as an excuse to go off the beaten track to find something, the journey is enough if the world I'm exploring is well realised enough.

Far Cry 3 gives me the same enjoyment that Red Dead Redemption did in that respect, as the world is a nice change from the usual city based sandbox games.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• sanctusmortis 4 Jan 2013 20:50:24 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, all towers taken, all letters collected, all outposts liberated (and all the memory cards within them), enough relics for the achievements, all guns unlocked, all maps bought... Guess I should do some missions then.

Achievement-wise, it's finish the game, assassination from parachute or zip line, 50 flamethrower kills, co-op.

Loved every damn second. A fantastic open world, never dull. Second island could do with a little more wildlife, but eh. I'm so armed to the damn teeth they'd never live anyway...
  • FanBoysSuck 4 Jan 2013 21:46:49 1,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just done the first second island mission that gets you a disguise. It's officially a chore playing now. I just want to get to the point where you can kill all your douche bag friends(someone posted you could do so earlier) and call it a day. I hate them THAT much.

Brilliant on a technical level, shame about the game itself.

For the emperor!

• Deleted user 4 January 2013 21:49:31
    terrible game; EG should be embarrassed

give it a year or so and this'll be regarded as poorly as GTA IV, another game which has a charmless, unfun world, and another game tht received 10s across the board
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Jan 2013 23:07:37 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @cozeny

Opinions are funny. That one especially.
  • Popzeus 5 Jan 2013 00:42:00 8,272 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:What is Dishonored's story like?
    Much, much worse. Fantastic setting, terrible story.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• FWB 5 Jan 2013 02:11:14 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cant believe that is possible. Farcry should win awards for its shit story.
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Jan 2013 03:32:13 13,199 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dishonoured is very "my first steam punk adventure" in its storytelling. Some interesting characters, but few as memorable as Vaas or Buck from Far Cry 3. Amazing game and world though.
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 03:45:29 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buck isn't a character. He is a waste of pixels. An annoying presence who made me switch off every time he opened his mouth. Vaas has something to him, but rambles on too much, seems to lack any logic (still no idea why he decides to hold these jocks) and is worse than any Hollywood baddie at killing people. Hoyt is alright, if generic, as is Willis. Best character was Sam. Should have made him the player.

Guess my only option is to replay Deus Ex.

How are Mass Effect 2 and 3?

Edited by FWB at 03:56:58 05-01-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Jan 2013 03:56:43 13,199 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mass Effect was never the most amazing story anyway. It just tried to make up the difference with epic scope and scale. ME2 was amazing as a game with some astonishingly good characters, but storywise jumped the shark right at the end. ME3... actually, I'm not sure I've formed an opinion on it yet despite completing it when it was released. Certainly it wasn't any better story-wise than the previous two.

But really, FWB, if story is the single most important thing to you in a game I think you must've played very few games you've liked... well, pretty much ever. Even the game stories that are held up as great examples fall down in too many ways to be credible. Many of them are an order of magnitude better than FC3 though, granted. :)

I'm just about to embark on the last few Far Cry 3 story missions, then will mop up the final two or three outposts and call it a day for now. Halo 4, Dishonored and Borderlands 2 are still calling to me; begging to be completed.
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Jan 2013 03:59:55 13,199 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Buck isn't a character. He is a waste of pixels. An annoying presence who made me switch off every time he opened his mouth. Vaas has something to him, but rambles on too much, seems to lack any logic (still no idea why he decides to hold these jocks) and is worse than any Hollywood baddie at killing people. Hoyt is alright, if generic, as is Willis. Best character was Sam. Should have made him the player
    Buck is memorable, though. And so is Vaas. Admittedly I'm only 12 hours into Dishonored, really taking my time so actually quite early in the game, but there's only actually one character out of all of them that I can even remember. :)

I'm not defending the FC3 story here, I agree with you that it's tosh, but I do say many of the characters have been memorable. Certainly not the cardboard cutouts you get in, for example, Skyrim. But also nothing like as well drawn as the Mass Effect roster.
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 04:06:03 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not the single most important. Farcry is just really, really, really bad at it. Shockingly so. But that's not my main beef with the game. It is the wasted environment. I have mentioned that to death now. It is still a decent game, but could have been so much better. No way is it the 10 in my eyes that some people are throwing around. I wonder what they've been playing. COD?

What I just don't get is how such abject writing gets through. It's like an effort is made for it to be poor. It really isn't difficult to produce something mildly engaging. Who writes these stories?

The Deus Ex article on the front page is really worth reading - if you haven't. As are a large number of the comments. Highlights how important a story and characters are to many gamers. Not just me.

Edit:

I remember Buck because he is one of about four people you regularly engage with in the whole game. Plus I just finished it. Can't imagine I will recall him in a few months. Plenty of other games where I do remember the characters.

Edited by FWB at 04:10:29 05-01-2013

Edited by FWB at 04:14:24 05-01-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Jan 2013 04:17:55 13,199 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And as others have said in response to your "wasted environment" comment, it's the playground for the fun. The fun is amplified because of it. If you could set aside your story complaints, I think you might've had enough room in your heart to just let the game be the game. You've repeatedly said that it's not even a good shooter, but I really really can't see where you're coming from on that. It's good at distance, it's good in the mid range and it's great up close. The stealth is workable, without being frustration. I think you sell its many successes too short. It got a 10 for the fun. It certainly wasn't for the story.

Much as I love Skyrim (the gold standard that seems to have been set in this thread) a lot of the world is pointless. It was no more immersive to me than FC3 really - the difference is that FC3 wears its gameplay mechanics very much on its sleeves so you're never in any doubt that you're in a game. Perhaps the difference is the same as that between GTAIV and, for example, Saints Row. :)

I found a lot of the writing in Skyrim to be bobbins also - so cliched and hackneyed it was painful at times. I guess we all have a point at which we're comfortable to let the story do its thing.

But we've both gone back and forward over this for a few posts (and pages) now so probably not much more to say. If you haven't done ME2 yet then you should. It's easily the best of the three, especially if you want characters with actual motivations that make sense and a world that puts them to the test. Get the DLC too - there's probably some GotY edition out there.
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 04:27:12 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never said it was a poor shooter. The fighting IS fun, for sure, but very repetitive. There are also games that do it better. Skyrim is far from perfect, but significantly better in regards of world, exploration and story. But my standard is set not by it, but Deus Ex 1. Ten years down the road and we are still struggling to come close to it.

Anyway, decent enough, but so very glad I only paid 20 for it.

Edited by FWB at 04:30:02 05-01-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Jan 2013 04:57:14 13,199 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    The Deus Ex article on the front page is really worth reading - if you haven't. As are a large number of the comments. Highlights how important a story and characters are to many gamers. Not just me.
    Hard to keep up with your edits, but I wanted to address this little beauty. Characters and story are important to me also - I don't think you're strange for valuing them at all so I hope I haven't given that impression. But I try not to let their absence ruin a good game, whereas it seems that sadly this is the case for you. And that seems like a real shame.
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 13:50:44 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It didn't ruin the game for me. It was just a bit of a blow. My major issue was with the repetitiveness and lack of exploration in the game design.

Anywho, each to their own. :)
  • heyyo 5 Jan 2013 14:04:29 14,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    My major issue was with the repetitiveness
    One day they'll clear the island of pirates, like centru promised. One day.
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Jan 2013 14:15:35 927 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought Far Cry 3 was a really decent game. Wildlife, characters, sneaking, collecting, exploration, setting stuff on fire, twists. All good.

Runs like a complete dog on the 360 though. I gave up at the end of the first island. Just couldn't take the wonky framerate any longer...
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 14:19:39 43,806 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really? Thought it was fine on the Xbox. Though I used to push my computer to the max, playing some games at 3fps. So everything else feels smooth.
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Jan 2013 14:32:05 927 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FWB I am really sensitive to frame-rate and screen tear problems. Don't know why. Wish I wasn't. I did stick with Far Cry 3 a lot longer than I would have done with any other game that ran so badly...

(A good example of how bad it runs is inside the druggy-doctor's house. That's the worse screen-tear I think I have ever seen...)

It's only frame-rate and screen-tear that bother me, though. Never been bothered by 'teh jaggies' etc and am not that bothered about the resolution. As long as the gameplay is smooth and the image is stable...
  • Lexx87 5 Jan 2013 21:27:20 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know since I fucked off the stealth approach after wiping out camp after camp with little to no proper violence, i'm enjoying this loads more.

The grenade launcher is fucking excellent. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM TAKE THAT PIRATE SCUM.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Ajay 6 Jan 2013 02:10:20 2,412 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just had one hell of a glitch on the jetski skirmish in co-op. I planted one bomb in the zone then when turning around hit another player who was carrying one and made him drop his, which I picked up and immediately placed. This started an instant and buggy and laggy chain repetition of picking up and placing bombs... I 'won' with over 4k in less than 10 seconds from that.

Fuck knows what my team mates thought I was up to.
  • Kilters 7 Jan 2013 16:59:56 562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About 10 hours into this. Have completed about 4 Story missions and activated 5 towers.

Having great fun but even though I'm playing on highest difficulty it's very easy, especially once you get a few silenced weapons. The wildlife are posing more of a threat than the pirates.

Does the difficulty spike later on?
  • kalel 7 Jan 2013 17:02:58 86,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not the hardest game in the world. There are difficulty spikes but they come more from missions with slightly irritating design more than actual meaningful obstacles.
  • sanctusmortis 8 Jan 2013 19:06:39 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3 co-op missions from the 1k. Still loving every second, despite not being able to say "I want to play [co-op map]".

And yes, the screen tear on 360 is ABYSMAL, as is the texture drop (look at a tiger next time you skin it).
  • heyyo 8 Jan 2013 19:11:58 14,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    You know since I fucked off the stealth approach after wiping out camp after camp with little to no proper violence, i'm enjoying this loads more.

The grenade launcher is fucking excellent. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM TAKE THAT PIRATE SCUM.
    JUST LIKE CENTRU PROMISED
  • sanctusmortis 10 Jan 2013 12:28:29 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got the co-op done by playing through the day and making lobbies after it failed to find any. Still took a while, as 2 of the missions had boots right near the end that meant replaying the whole thing again.

The lobby system is shit, yes, and it could do with the system Valve used for L4D1/2 where you pick a game type and mission/map, and then choose from a list of available games. It's still surprisingly fun though!
  • Page

of 79 First / Last