Far Cry 3 Page 68

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• bnazir 4 Jan 2013 03:03:43 81 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Lexx87 No issue for me thankfully ref DX11. The game does occasionally dip to sub 50fps at certain times but most of the time it's ok. Although having said that, this is one of those games that mega stresses my PC causing it to act like a fan heater in my room (nice for the winter I guess). Running on DX9 looks superb too anyways, so wouldn't worry about it if it's not working out for you.
  • Phattso Moderator 4 Jan 2013 03:42:04 13,195 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I'm firmly in the "story isn't the core of this experience" camp on this one. Same with the original Far Cry, same with Far Cry 2 (which was so impenetrable for me to play I can't even say if it had a story).

The danger with too much story in open world FPS games is that it locks your character down so much. You either end up with ridiculous parody (as in Far Cry 3, where I can slaughter thousands of people and then my avatar decides to have a moment of deep self awareness) or complete genericism (a la Skyrim, where the vast majority of people have fuck all of interest to say to you as you bimble your way through to the inevitable conclusion(s)).

Frankly I'd have been happier with only the slightest of motivations, and then be let loose on the island. That said, I've enjoyed some of the characters I've come across and without them and the broad narrative this would just be Just Cause 2 without the flying. So I guess they struck a compromise. It works for me, obviously not so much for FWB and co.

I would pay money (not much, but some) for a mode to repopulate all the outposts when I'm done. They are just too much fun to take over. :)

So "game" of the year* isn't too far off the mark for me, in that the gameplay is some of the most fun I've had (not yet finished Dishonoured though, and that's amazing so far). Certainly not "story driven game of the year" but then that's not even in the ballpark of what I was expecting.

* my personal accolade went to Motorstorm RC on Vita anyways. Absolutely adore that game.
  • FWB 4 Jan 2013 04:13:45 43,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not whether it has "too much story" - for that I agree it is a dangerous ground in an open world. It is whether the story makes any sense, or has any real relevance to what you are doing. I can't remember the last time I felt so detached from my character and those in the game. Slight motivation would be fine, but why would you want to remove the pirates? What would you gain? Sod all from the looks of things.

The free form is grand, but it had no purpose. You take over a post, but it doesn't really mean anything. Exploration results in sod all; money which you don't really need. Perhaps it is my own problem that I can't just run around gunning people for the sake of it, a fair enough criticism of my own approach to gaming. My gaming time is limited so I guess I expect a bit more. When a game hits that combination of fun, intrigue and story, I remember why I love the medium.

I completed it though. That in itself is something. Or perhaps I just have too much time on my hands this Christmas. It isn't a bad game. It is fun in places. But it is very repetitive and very shallow. The wonderful world doesn't really add much to the gameplay. I can't get excited about searching a cave that a) already has its treasure mapped out and b) isn't going to provide me with anything gameplay wise anyway.

They should never have given you the disguise. Would have made the made the second island so much better.

Edited by FWB at 04:24:12 04-01-2013
  • Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 07:51:01 27,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe you're dead inside. Had you considered that?
  • caligari 4 Jan 2013 08:06:38 16,986 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FWB - Nail. Head.
  • Phattso Moderator 4 Jan 2013 09:46:17 13,195 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB and @caligari

Maybe I'm getting a bit meta here, but the purpose of the game is to entertain me. The outposts were so much fun, possibly the most fun I've had in a shooter for years and years, that I honestly don't care if my motivation was to liberate the last pot of marmite or save the universe. The game was fun.

I'm the same in Halo. I don't give a flying fuck why I'm saving the universe or whatever, I just like the mechanics of playing the game. I'm the same in Dishonoured. I don't care so much about the dystopian future because I'm having too damn much fun with the excellent stealth game mechanics and the world of possibility. But I love the _setting_ in each of those examples.

I guess it comes down to how much the story takes one out of the experience. It's rare for a story to ruin a game for me. Even Baldur's Gate 2, one of my favourite games of all time, had a bobbins story. Didn't stop the game being fun.

Far Cry 3 succeeds as a game. I guess I'll just count myself lucky that I don't need to delve into the moods and motives of my arbitrary gaming avatar in order to enjoy a game about shooting humans in the face, then punching sharks in the bollocks, skinning them and making a new wallet. :)

The exploration element of the open world didn't have purpose in and of itself, but what it did do was give the outposts and missions a real sense of _place_. If they were just "levels" then it would have left me cold. But they existed in this connected grand environment.

More than once I beat an hasty retreat from a botched outpost assault in a vehicle. Heart racing. Great stuff, and very much dependent on the open world being there. There's also nothing quite like smoke, or a radio tower, looming in the distance to trigger that "ooh, just ten more minutes" pull that I so love about a good game.

Can't argue with you on the collectibles - I skipped them almost entirely 'cos they weren't fun. But some people are OCD nutters, so I can see why they're in there.

Like you, my gaming time is also limited. Extremely so. So I'd much rather play one that I find contains fun. Pure, unadulterated fun.

I'd certainly counsel both you to just approach this as a fun simulator. Make your own. Do an outpost with only the knife. With only the sniper rifle. With only animals. :) It's amazing, enthralling, emergent awesomeness. Fuck the story. Right in its arse.
  • smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 09:50:19 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed the story, and found it all rather compelling and interesting.

FWB likes Come Dine With Me so is clearly insane.
  • tincanrocket 4 Jan 2013 09:51:19 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was thinking about what might work in the game world they have created, and I would take thew whole thing back in time by a few hundred years, have your character being a native of the island, and replace the pirates with Spanish conquistadors. No guns, just muskets, sabres, blowpipes, bows, horses, canoes, and sailing boats. You'd have to gather other surviving natives to a safe haven (the cave with the boat?), and hunt for food for them, medicines, and so on. You'd have to keep the natives alive, and drive the Spanish from the island. It would also include headhunting and the mystical stuff could stay, as it would seem less jarring in that environment (shamans etc.). Would also have to get some Jesuits in there somewhere, and the music from The Mission (film, not band)
  • smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 09:54:33 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a cool idea but you're getting into the realms of first person melee fighting which is always clunky.
  • smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 09:57:27 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should do dinosaur DLC, I think we can all agree on that.
  • tincanrocket 4 Jan 2013 09:58:16 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    That's a cool idea but you're getting into the realms of first person melee fighting which is always clunky.
    Very true - first person melee is a tricky beast. And, yes to dinosaur DLC \o/

Edited by tincanrocket at 09:58:43 04-01-2013
  • Deckard1 4 Jan 2013 09:58:49 27,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah dinosaurs would be amazing.

Also throw a few Predators in there.
  • Leeky 4 Jan 2013 10:04:04 48 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The original Far Cry didn't have much of a story but it had no - go there and collect this crap which makes it feel more of a game. For example the original PC demo (A level I still enjoy playing) sees you land on a beach and the combination of AI and the route to get to the radio transmitter made is feel more "real" in my opinion.
  • wogsy81 4 Jan 2013 10:23:16 717 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What Phattso said.

I thought the story was ok-ish but i was too busy having a blast in the game world to give a fuck.

Just started my second playthrough and the last game i played more then once was Mass Effect 2 a couple of years ago.

Awesome game. I cant wait for some DLC.
  • smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 10:26:28 31,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a "reset outposts" button would solve a lot of people's complaints
  • FWB 4 Jan 2013 11:32:02 43,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All valid comments. I guess I just want a bit more from my games.

I suspect it doesn't help that before playing this I had gone back to finish Rage and had got over half way in Borderlands 2. Perhaps I was over FPSed by the time I came to Farcry and thus was overly critical. But Rage has better shooting mechanics because of its AI, while Borderlands wacky bosses and bazillion guns keeps you exploring.

If I wanted to be stealthy, I can't help but feel there are better games out there for it. Not that it wasn't satisfying silently taking out an outpost.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Jan 2013 11:38:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks to this thread, i'm mixing in the story missions with the fun parts like accumulating the wallets and holsters etc.

I think I agree with Phatso though.
  • welshben23 4 Jan 2013 11:39:38 1,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    @FWB and @caligari

Maybe I'm getting a bit meta here, but the purpose of the game is to entertain me. The outposts were so much fun, possibly the most fun I've had in a shooter for years and years, that I honestly don't care if my motivation was to liberate the last pot of marmite or save the universe. The game was fun.

I'm the same in Halo. I don't give a flying fuck why I'm saving the universe or whatever, I just like the mechanics of playing the game. I'm the same in Dishonoured. I don't care so much about the dystopian future because I'm having too damn much fun with the excellent stealth game mechanics and the world of possibility. But I love the _setting_ in each of those examples.

I guess it comes down to how much the story takes one out of the experience. It's rare for a story to ruin a game for me. Even Baldur's Gate 2, one of my favourite games of all time, had a bobbins story. Didn't stop the game being fun.

Far Cry 3 succeeds as a game. I guess I'll just count myself lucky that I don't need to delve into the moods and motives of my arbitrary gaming avatar in order to enjoy a game about shooting humans in the face, then punching sharks in the bollocks, skinning them and making a new wallet. :)

The exploration element of the open world didn't have purpose in and of itself, but what it did do was give the outposts and missions a real sense of _place_. If they were just "levels" then it would have left me cold. But they existed in this connected grand environment.

More than once I beat an hasty retreat from a botched outpost assault in a vehicle. Heart racing. Great stuff, and very much dependent on the open world being there. There's also nothing quite like smoke, or a radio tower, looming in the distance to trigger that "ooh, just ten more minutes" pull that I so love about a good game.

Can't argue with you on the collectibles - I skipped them almost entirely 'cos they weren't fun. But some people are OCD nutters, so I can see why they're in there.

Like you, my gaming time is also limited. Extremely so. So I'd much rather play one that I find contains fun. Pure, unadulterated fun.

I'd certainly counsel both you to just approach this as a fun simulator. Make your own. Do an outpost with only the knife. With only the sniper rifle. With only animals. :) It's amazing, enthralling, emergent awesomeness. Fuck the story. Right in its arse.
    Post of 2013 so far! I'm sure some people want games to be like War and Peace! I agree about the "ooh, just ten more minutes" pull too, usually that 10 minutes turned into 2 and a half hours for me.
  • bnazir 4 Jan 2013 11:51:35 81 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FWB The great thing about this game is that the taking out of each outpost is it's own personal story for the gamer. Some times it goes so well that you feel like the Predator, other times it goes pear shaped and you have to go all out Rambo style. Each time however I have a memorable story to tell and it's unique to my play style and approach. The main story is just a nice diversion and helps make Far Cry 3 a complete package.
  • krushing 4 Jan 2013 12:06:25 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess the game could use some mixing up of its rigid structure - people are good at seeing patterns, and in this one it quickly leads into repeating itself, even if the events within said patterns do get unpredictable (and fun). But since they have that big world, why not use it? Why not have outposts in the various bunkers and special locations? Why not have smaller groups of enemies scrounging through the caves looking for artifacts? Why is the supply drop mission always next to the radio tower?

In other words, I'd just like an injection of the exploratory goodness of Skyrim into this (the locations are already there, just gimme a reason to go there), and a more persistent infrastructure on a grander scale (ie. have finite supply of enemies, reinforced, say, once a week via the airstrip). I always hate when you start to notice how an open world is really built around the player, instead of having the player messing about in an already-existing & working ecosystem.
  • FWB 4 Jan 2013 12:14:26 43,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is zero incentive - story or game wise - to explore. Such a waste of the world.

Edited by FWB at 12:14:53 04-01-2013
  • kinky_mong 4 Jan 2013 12:28:47 9,945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    There is zero incentive - story or game wise - to explore. Such a waste of the world.
    Bollocks IMO. My favourite parts of the game are when I go on a diversion and find a bunker with a WW2 letter, a cave with a relic in it, or stumble into a fight between pirates and a tiger and pick off the survivor without them even knowing I was there.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• FWB 4 Jan 2013 12:59:21 43,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Please tell me where these pirates wandering the jungle are. Because having finished the game and spent hours faffing about in the wilderness, not once did such a random encounter occur. Only time I saw NPCs was in bases, towns and zipping by on the road. The rest of the island is dead.

As for the letters and relics, they don't contribute to the game. Yeah, you can unlock one weapon by getting a few of the former and you do get some achievements, but I'm not really into collecting badges. Everything of value is given to you by revealing the radio towers. And even that stuff which isn't, is marked on the map so you never "stumble" upon anything.

Edited by FWB at 13:08:08 04-01-2013
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Jan 2013 13:04:30 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Bollocks IMO. My favourite parts of the game are when I go on a diversion and find a bunker with a WW2 letter, a cave with a relic in it, or stumble into a fight between pirates and a tiger and pick off the survivor without them even knowing I was there.
    The first time, perhaps. The tenth ? The twentieth ? Who cares ? A little note of poorly written text, relics that don't require much effort (ta magic-mini-map) and as for the "random" events ? If I was an AA repair man, I'd be exasperated at the continual head-on collisions throughout the islands.
  • Tomo 4 Jan 2013 13:09:41 13,878 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't finished it yet and I've hardly touched the story, but I'm making my way through the outposts.

I fall somewhere between Phattso and FWB I think. Stories are usually very, very important for me in a game. If a story is bobbins, I probably won't give the game a second look.

The story in Far Cry 3 that I've experienced so far has been good. I like the premise of folks being stuck on an island full of nutters. I also like the characters I've met so far. But, I can see the disconnect between the open world and the story. I've collected almost every gun available and then I just got given a flamethrower in the storyline - Brody goes: "WOW". This is after I've already torched half of the jungle to the ground.

It is incredibly fun just wandering round clearing out the outposts, but it is repetitive. I haven't become bored by it yet, but I do feel I've seen most of what the game has to offer already. This is partly why I returned to the story.

All in all, I do think it's a pretty spectacular game though. It's so much fun. My next game will probably be Spec Ops: The Line which is probably going to be the polar opposite of FC3, from the little I've read.
  • D_arkTrooper 4 Jan 2013 13:20:41 1,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Many, many times I've witnessed pirates doing random two-man foot patrols as well as in vehicles. I've seen them being attacked by tigers etc. while I've sat in some bushes watching. Spontaneous fire fights kicking off between pirate patrols and civilians and/or various kinds of wildlife was another regular occurrence.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• FWB 4 Jan 2013 13:26:41 43,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hand on heart, never saw it in my game.
  • ronuds 4 Jan 2013 13:29:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only pirates I've seen "wandering" have usually just jumped out of a jeep to chase and kill me. It appeared as though they were wandering, but they really were not.
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Jan 2013 13:30:49 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Hand on heart, never saw it in my game.
    Because you weren't mindlessly dicking about looking for the Lost Fun of Ubicopypastia ?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Jan 2013 13:31:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I agree with you that the environment is more fun to navigate when you don't clear the outposts.

Mind you; I'd be pissed if I were one of the developers of this game given the amount of abuse they got over the respawning outposts of the second game.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last