Far Cry 3 Page 66

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• rodbull 2 Jan 2013 02:18:30 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    @caligari Hmm, that's debatable from my point of view:

Personally I think after that set of missions (as linear as they are) the game, story wise at least, fizzles out. Not that the story missions were much to write home about in the first place.

Just after that point, I'd liberated the whole of the first island after ~20 hours gameplay and made a point to push on with the story and it really wasn't worth it. In fact, I seem to recall *only* doing story missions after that all the way through to the end of the game.

It's far more about the free form exploration and invention of retaking outposts than the story, and it depends how much you enjoy it.

As someone else has said here, take your time alternating and you'll probably find it a much more satisfying experience than I did. It definitely did feel like a chore towards the end though with the story, I was glad to get it out of the way so I could explore at my own pace.
    This game is best played IMO by taking your sweet time just leave the story and get your upgrades ,do the towers,explore etc I'm enjoying it this way.

I'm up to chapter 5 now but most of my playtime as just been into the exploring and doing the towers now started on the out posts and a few of the DLC quests LE,and hurks,also doing some of the predator challenges and trail the certain target.

Great game will leave it in the console till its completed A rarity for me last game to do this uncharted.
  • Ajay 2 Jan 2013 03:05:37 2,412 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The co-op is a really pleasant surprise in this. I didn't think anything of it until I started playing after the main campaign, and it's really quite rough around the edges but it's a lot of fun. I'd like more co-op campaigns for this; no idea if the editor supports them though.

Which makes it all the more the shame that the lobby system is a pile of festering, weapons-grade dogshit that omits basic options that anything that calls itself sentient should have thought of. Calling it a 'lobby system' is generous of itself. For fuck's sake Ubisoft, why put a clearly non-trivial amount of effort into a making a really good bespoke co-op mode and then shit all over that work by smearing the crappiest lobby/game creation system in recent memory over it?
  • FWB 2 Jan 2013 13:05:40 43,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought the story missions were poor, now I think they are beyond that. A seriously awful storyline, horrendous characters and linear and frustrating gameplay. Killing Vaas was probably one of the poorest gaming experiences I've come across in a long time. So badly designed. And the Ink Monster? What on earth was that rubbish?

Got to the second island and heading out from the first town I was really enjoying things. The increase in patrols, wandering privateers, all added to some tense gameplay. It was loads of fun having to creep around the island, avoiding trouble. But then just as I was enjoying it, the next story mission gives me a "disguise" so I can stroll across the island freely. All that tension wiped out and we are back to the same thing I had been doing for 20hours on the first island. I suppose what is particularly irritating is that the game gave me a brief taste of how, with some actual thought, it could have been so much better and then snatches it away from you.
  • B0rked_Gamer 2 Jan 2013 13:07:40 2,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    10/10 :D
  • Popzeus 2 Jan 2013 13:14:51 8,272 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• FWB 2 Jan 2013 13:16:14 43,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :) It still has some top notch moments though. None have anything to do with the story though.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 13:18:05
    Popzeus wrote:
    gLOL

I love the look on the bears' face.
  • Leeky 2 Jan 2013 13:20:35 48 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know where the game of the year hype has come from. I waited for this to come down in price (which it did very quickly, almost Max Payne 3 level drops) and I am still hmmmphhh about it. The story missions I see have been covered. I haven't read a review which said they were so tedious. Thinking I should have gone for AC 3 or MOH instead....
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 13:48:01 4,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are there any proper side missions in this or is it just the hunter/wanted dead stuff and collectibles? Is it only the main story missions that unlock the skill trees?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• reddevil93 2 Jan 2013 13:52:26 11,373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The other side missions are the blue exclamation marks, don't think they add to the skill tree though.

• oldschoolsoviet 2 Jan 2013 13:56:23 5,457 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rusty_M

There are certain named side-missions dotted around as blue markers, each increasingly more absurd than the last.

I stopped bothering with them after the "daughter has been kidnapped by aliens, so go and photograph some jiffy bag barcodes, like some morbid Fed-Ex crash investigator" horseshit.

Make of that what you will. Damn it for teasing the return of the GPS locator too.
  • Daeltaja 2 Jan 2013 14:01:40 1,035 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Leeky wrote:
    I don't know where the game of the year hype has come from. I waited for this to come down in price (which it did very quickly, almost Max Payne 3 level drops) and I am still hmmmphhh about it. The story missions I see have been covered. I haven't read a review which said they were so tedious. Thinking I should have gone for AC 3 or MOH instead....
    You think this is bad? Stay clear of AC 3. As for MOH?? LOL.
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 14:08:06 4,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah. I don't have blue ones yet.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• welshben23 2 Jan 2013 15:06:58 1,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    Leeky wrote:
    You think this is bad? Stay clear of AC 3. As for MOH?? LOL.
    I know! I have bad sides because I laughed so much at that. Ok, the story in FC3 is a bit silly but MOH is just complete horse shit..
  • rodbull 2 Jan 2013 15:40:50 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Everyone going on about the story go and buy a bloody good book FFS .....I don't play games for wow that was a great story I want to just have some mindless fun and I'm having it with this my only gripe is the shite FOV.

IMO of course everyone as there own taste in games ETC.
  • robthehermit 2 Jan 2013 15:48:02 3,969 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still loving it. Still haven't been to Earnhardt's. Going to clear the last outpost tonight and then start playing the story. I've got a clear run through to the second island now that I've done everything else there is on the first one. Then I get to avoid the story all over again for a bit.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• FWB 2 Jan 2013 15:51:14 43,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You might not, but for some of us a story is pretty important. As are the characters. I gave up on GTA IV (having played the others to death) because of the lousy character. Deus Ex ( the first one), is my favourite game of all time, not just because of the gameplay, but because of the story and people in it.

The storyline in Farcry 3 is truly abysmal. I wonder if a teenager wrote it, because it is pretty surprising that with such a vibrant world they couldn't come up with something better. I could in about 5 minutes.

There is still a decent game in there, but it is quite limited.
  • Popzeus 2 Jan 2013 16:03:41 8,272 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed the story, granted it was pretty daft on the surface but thought it was much more interesting than most recent games, especially blockbuster FPSes. Wonder if I was playing the same game as some of you in this thread.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• FWB 2 Jan 2013 16:09:05 43,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually don't game that much nowadays. In fact I only turned on the Xbox after 2 years away from it, a month ago. Thus there is a lot I haven't played and can't compare it to. Perhaps that's why I'm pretty brutal on it. May be most modern games have shite stories but I haven't played them. Last FPS I played through was Rage (finished it off), whose storyline was generic, but coherent. Have Borderlands 2, which is in the same category. But at least I can feel for some the characters in it, and it is very tongue in cheek.
  • ronuds 2 Jan 2013 17:32:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really care much about the story. Not allowing you to skip the cutscenes is a crime against itself, though.

I'm just wondering why there are all of these "unlocks" and "collectibles" when the game doesn't seem to be evolving beyond the basics they introduced you to in the beginning.

Seems to be the new thing that I find to be lazy! Collect a trillion trinkets and give you not a single reason to use them. Overall, I am enjoying it, but it is rather shallow for the massive play area they've provided.
  • robthehermit 2 Jan 2013 17:43:56 3,969 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It seems strange that there is an achievement for collecting 60 relics, but not all 120. A bizarre design decision if you ask me. I shan't let it deter me from collecting the rest though, other than ammo and body armour, maps are about all I have left to spend money on.

• the_dudefather 2 Jan 2013 17:46:35 9,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are all the blue missions terrible? Tried a few and they were all just fetch quests

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• rodbull 2 Jan 2013 18:35:13 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Still loving it. Still haven't been to Earnhardt's. Going to clear the last outpost tonight and then start playing the story. I've got a clear run through to the second island now that I've done everything else there is on the first one. Then I get to avoid the story all over again for a bit.
    How are you managing to do all these outposts etc I go to Travel to a area and it doesn't let me go there as the 5'second countdown turns me back and I've even done more story than yourself

Edited by rodbull at 18:42:28 02-01-2013
  • D_arkTrooper 2 Jan 2013 18:36:00 1,296 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yer I noticed the lack of trophy/achievement thing for the 120 relics as well...oh well.

Which reminds me, anyone going for the full collection might want to remember to grab the Spider 1 relic from the cave underneath the mansion where your buddies are repairing the boat as once the story line plays through, the cave seals and you CANNOT get back in.

I've just learned that the hard way :-(

Edited by D_arkTrooper at 18:37:54 02-01-2013

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• king26 2 Jan 2013 20:08:08 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Loving this game! The story isn't as bad as other fps games and that's the only minor problem I have. The world is awesome, great graphics, the wildlife, excellent weapons (feel a lot meatier than COD) and even vehicles are a joy. Really enjoying taking radio towers (yes it's a rip off Assassin's Creed but who cares) and liberating the island of pirates through the outposts is good fun. I also like the health system. I've got better things to do with my time than look for collectables but if that floats your boat then there's loads of that sort of stuff to be found here.
    The MP is good fun and I've had more fun with this than I've had on Black Ops 2 but I'm yet to try the co-op. My game of the year.
  • Lexx87 2 Jan 2013 23:18:44 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing a mix of story and exploration in this, it feels much more Just Cause 2 in this than Skyrim. It has less oooh look at that in the distance lets go for a look, but it is a wonderful open world game. It really is fantastic. For mystery of the exploration I still prefer Skyrim, but this is top notch.

Speak the truth hussy!

• bnazir 3 Jan 2013 00:11:58 81 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Love this game. I'm fortunate enough to have a PC that allows the game to run on ultra at 1080/60fps. Breathtaking visuals, it's about as close as I'm going to get at taking a fantasy beach vacation, pure escapism!
  • robthehermit 3 Jan 2013 08:19:23 3,969 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @rodbull I didn't realise you couldn't do that. Perhaps it's because I have never been to the mansion and triggered the story event.

• tincanrocket 3 Jan 2013 10:00:39 2,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Anyone else find the bullet sponge animals an utter pain?
    Yep. Whilst I love the island and stealth mechanics of this game, other elements are very badly implemented. I have just hit an awful Max Payne style dream sequence mission that has put a cherry on top of the awful 'mystical' storyline cake and given me indigestion.

No way is this GOTY for me, although it flattered to deceive at first glance - a very good engine let down by cookie cutter missions and a seriously dull and laughable storyline.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last