Far Cry 3 Page 65

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 12:29:33 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I tried to do one of the hunter missions but it required me to use a frigging bow and arrow; the black panther took about three arrows, it took them like the shark out of jaws took those harpoons, I.e. they just pissed it off more, then it just mauled me. I repeated this process 20 odd times with various strategies, like climbing on rocks that it couldn't reach etc.

I hope they're not all going to expect a bow and arrow take down, like the death head missions expect you to use a knife?

They all have ak's, but I have to use a knife. jerks.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 12:30:43 31-12-2012
  • FWB 31 Dec 2012 12:33:05 44,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The story missions ARE tedious. They're linear, on-rails, and with characters you don't care about. The only reason I have been doing them is to unlock skills.

And the incessant music during the drug field one... god that was annoying.

I don't mind he challenges in the hunting and assassination quests. If they let you kill them any old way then there would be no point to them.

Edited by FWB at 12:34:57 31-12-2012
  • mikew1985 31 Dec 2012 12:35:58 12,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was amazingly bad in a good way.

That is what I meant though, the story missions aren't really that great thus far, but I feel like doing them alongside revealing and exploring the Island is helping keep me engaged with them.

Edited by mikew1985 at 12:36:15 31-12-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 12:38:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    The story missions ARE tedious. They're linear, on-rails, and with characters you don't care about. The only reason I have been doing them is to unlock skills.

I don't mind he challenges in the hunting and assassination quests. If they let you kill them any old way then there would be no point to them.
    Still, I wish their ancients revered the shotgun.
  • Pumpatron 31 Dec 2012 12:42:27 374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really liked FC3, but some of the music was really annoying. I played most of it with the music turned off, I've never done that in any other game.

The option to just turn the music down, rather than turn everything down would have been good.
  • quadfather 31 Dec 2012 12:47:31 12,119 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    I really liked FC3, but some of the music was really annoying. I played most of it with the music turned off, I've never done that in any other game.

The option to just turn the music down, rather than turn everything down would have been good.
    Definitely, the drug field one was very annoying. They might have well as put gangnam style on

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 12:47:49
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    FWB wrote:

Still, I wish their ancients revered the shotgun.
    Skrilex can fuck off and die.
  • neilka 31 Dec 2012 12:50:41 15,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Pumpatron wrote:

Definitely, the drug field one was very annoying. They might have well as put gangnam style on
    Somewhere the Far Cry 4 team scribbles furiously

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 12:58:20 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The environment has definitely captured my rose tinted memory of what made the first one great.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 13:10:25 31-12-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 13:01:27 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On a radeon 9800 I'd add. If video cards can be legends that one was.
  • rodbull 31 Dec 2012 13:37:10 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My GOTY this just enjoying just doing the hell I want .....bit peeved early took down a white tiger mauling on a buffalo went to skin both of them as I need the skins as doing the skinning got jumped by another tiger a QTE took that down as well skinned that upgraded my gear ;) a few minutes got mauled by a bear forgot to save so no bloody upgrades DAMN ;(

Hurks missions are fun good character there should of been more with him in.
  • rodbull 31 Dec 2012 13:39:28 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regarding the in game music I've had it turned off from the start...only thing is all the animal noises send my dog MAD:eek:
  • Garfy 31 Dec 2012 14:03:42 682 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should do a few story missions and unlock the second batch of skills, some good stuff in there.
  • FWB 31 Dec 2012 14:22:05 44,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually think most of the skills are pretty useless. The harvesting ones aren't needed since you don't really require many for the upgrades and you certainly won't be needing to sell skins since money is so easy to come by.

The shooting skills don't help either. The holding breathe time you get from the start is sufficient, and unless you seriously suck at FPSs you don't need any of the shoot from the hip skills.

I never die from explosions and I can't recall ever taking significant damage while in vehicle, so most of the damage protection upgrades are pointless.

The takedowns are, of course, very useful (and fun), as are the health and stealth skills. But the majority of those are in the second batch.

I think they could have thought about the skills a bit better. Perhaps you should really suck at using weapons (particularly the advanced ones) - given that you aren't trained - and require skill points to get to a "normal" level.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 14:31:28
    Thanks to the recently completed games thread I've just been reminded that the Buck boss fight would be much enhanced with a disco ball and 'I will Survive' playing in the background.
  • Syrette 31 Dec 2012 14:36:51 43,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You've found 114 relics?

• robthehermit 31 Dec 2012 15:07:47 4,069 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Syrette Nope, just got half a dozen left to collect on North Island.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ronuds 31 Dec 2012 17:00:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What happens when you activate one of those red rocks... the Arukai (sp?) missions or whatever?

I've been afraid to activate them for some reason! :p
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 17:03:06
    @ronuds You go off on a little side mission that's basically a situational high score minigame. Kill as many folks as possible using inventive methods in a short period of time.

Then just get back on with the game as normal.
  • ronuds 31 Dec 2012 17:09:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HurbleBurble - Thanks! That doesn't sound so bad. :)

So, I've had the game about a week now. I finally found some damned pigs yesterday so I could craft the larger wallet and hold more than $1000. I'm not sure why it was so important, seeing as how you are basically given all of the weapons as you proceed anyway, but I was pretty happy about it.

The stuff you find on bodies and in chests is generally crap, though. I'm also a little disappointed in the general lack of activity on the island. But overall I'm liking the game after about 15 hours. I just hope it can keep my attention for the whole thing, because it seems a bit shallow so far.
  • kinky_mong 31 Dec 2012 17:17:30 10,265 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    What happens when you activate one of those red rocks... the Arukai (sp?) missions or whatever?

I've been afraid to activate them for some reason! :p
    Trials of the Rakiyat, basically this games rampages and my god does it feel good to have them in a sandbox game again since GTA 4 decided to replace fun with going bowling with needy friends!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• BravoGolf Moderator 31 Dec 2012 21:22:34 12,741 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two things I learned today:

1) Battlestar Galactica is awesome (just stated the series after getting the boxset for Christmas)
    2) Far Cry 3 is still awesome

For those who've completed it, how far am I into it? I'm at the point where I'm about to enter Vaas' island, after having sex with the tribal leader
  • Oh-Bollox 31 Dec 2012 21:34:20 5,244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Locking the fucking skill tree, FFS.
  • theguy 31 Dec 2012 22:16:49 653 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Two things I learned today:

1) Battlestar Galactica is awesome (just stated the series after getting the boxset for Christmas)
    2) Far Cry 3 is still awesome

For those who've completed it, how far am I into it? I'm at the point where I'm about to enter Vaas' island, after having sex with the tribal leader
    You can see how many missions you have left in the handbook if i'm not mistaken. I'd guess at about halfway, maybe closer to the final third although i'm not sure
  • caligari 2 Jan 2013 00:16:28 17,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I picked this up last week.

I've played it up until the point where things have started to get very Uncharted/Tomb-Raider-esque - magic items etc.

Have I seen the best of what this game has to offer? I never really played the first two Far Cry games for longer than an hour or so, but I feel as though Crysis was better at the whole 'Island Skillz' thing.

Edited by caligari at 00:16:44 02-01-2013
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 00:22:35
    @caligari Hmm, that's debatable from my point of view:

Personally I think after that set of missions (as linear as they are) the game, story wise at least, fizzles out. Not that the story missions were much to write home about in the first place.

Just after that point, I'd liberated the whole of the first island after ~20 hours gameplay and made a point to push on with the story and it really wasn't worth it. In fact, I seem to recall *only* doing story missions after that all the way through to the end of the game.

It's far more about the free form exploration and invention of retaking outposts than the story, and it depends how much you enjoy it.

As someone else has said here, take your time alternating and you'll probably find it a much more satisfying experience than I did. It definitely did feel like a chore towards the end though with the story, I was glad to get it out of the way so I could explore at my own pace.
  • caligari 2 Jan 2013 00:32:07 17,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @HurbleBurble - thanks for the detailed reply, Hurble!

I think I might trade it and come back to it at a later date.

It's not that it's a terrible game, but it doesn't really do anything new for me. I've just finished off Sleeping Dogs which has left me feeling a little tired of the whole 'capture the base/upgrade skills' side-of-things. I was hoping that the story would have a little more oomph.

Shooting animals in the face also feels a little...odd. ;)
  • andytheadequate 2 Jan 2013 00:36:16 8,166 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone else find the bullet sponge animals an utter pain?
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 00:43:03
    @caligari 1DGaf summed it up best in his podcast for me. It feels like two unwieldy, different games that have been stitched together and definitely make something less than the sum of it's parts when considered as a whole.

If you're not getting anything out of it and the mechanics are overplayed then get the best value for it you can and maybe rent it later to finish it off if the completionist urge overtakes you.
  • FanBoysSuck 2 Jan 2013 00:43:44 1,482 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got to vaas's island invasion last night and the game feels like its running out of steam. I've liberated the first island and it's starting to feel like a chore. Activate tower, liberate outposts, do story mission, repeat.

Is there any point in doing the other hunting quests and drops?

For the emperor!

• Page

of 79 First / Last