Far Cry 3 Page 63

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 28 Dec 2012 22:38:39 7,272 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The list of animals in the game shows a great white shark. Not seen one though.
  • FWB 28 Dec 2012 23:26:39 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had a few hours with this. Definitely better than Farcry 2, but will wait and see how long it keeps me grabbed for. Had a number of great unscripted moments, and I really like how the game encourages different approaches, but doesn't force them upon you. Namely the hunting to improve your gear and the different kill methods for extra experience. The blockades and patrols have been well distributed, and running from being hunted feels smooth so far. Stealth works and planning an assault is very satisfying.

Basically comes across as Skyrim in a modern setting.
  • robthehermit 29 Dec 2012 02:45:45 3,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Almost finished clearing out the camps on the first island, maxxed out my ammo, syringes, grenades, holster and rocket packs. Just got to find 4 more path of the hunter quests for the wallet, loot bag, quiver and flamer fuel. Money is now pouring out of every orifice as I don't need to keep skins for anything. Once I've turned the island green, I might even go to the doctors mansion to see which one of my plebby friends he's got holed up there.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• wogsy81 29 Dec 2012 05:36:29 599 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You guys ever traded in a game then really regretted it a week later?

Yup, thats what i have done with Far Cry 3 and i really want to play it again.
    I done virtually everything in the game over 40 or so hours playtime and i thought i was done with it. I completed the SP (all outposts, camps liberated), done all the co-op missions, dabbled with the MP etc. Hell, the only thing i didn't really do was find all the relics and a couple of them blue ! missions. But i really want to play this game again. I want to do more of them outpost missions and slay a lot more red vested scymbags, but i dont want to start a new game and lose all my goodies/skills.

I could liberate them camps over and over again. Its a lot of fun. I hope they come out some DLC with more outpost missions or release a patch that lets you reset the world while letting you keep your arsenal you had when you completed the game, and add a few more enemies in the game world for good measure.
    That would be good. The more the merrier i say.
  • rodbull 29 Dec 2012 10:27:28 39 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    wogsy81 wrote:

I done virtually everything in the game over 40 or so hours playtime and i thought i was done with it. I completed the SP (all outposts, camps liberated), done all the co-op missions, dabbled with the MP etc. Hell, the only thing i didn't really do was find all the relics and a couple of them blue ! missions. But i really want to play this game again. I want to do more of them outpost missions and slay a lot more red vested scymbags, but i dont want to start a new game and lose all my goodies/skills.

I could liberate them camps over and over again. Its a lot of fun. I hope they come out some DLC with more outpost missions or release a patch that lets you reset the world while letting you keep your arsenal you had when you completed the game, and add a few more enemies in the game world for good measure.
    Yes a bit of DLC where somehow you go back to the Jurassic age hunting or being hunted by raptors etc would be good. ;).

I'm really enjoying this game now taking my sweet time not playing most of the story just messing about all over the island doing radio towers etc.......this is the best game I've played in a LONG TIME and that's after my early impressions of not liking it
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 11:15:09
    rodbull wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:

Yes a bit of DLC where somehow you go back to the Jurassic age hunting or being hunted by raptors etc would be good. ;).

I'm really enjoying this game now taking my sweet time not playing most of the story just messing about all over the island doing radio towers etc.......this is the best game I've played in a LONG TIME and that's after my early impressions of not liking it
    I traded it after five hours play, slightly regret it but di'd think it was crap. Will give it another go when filthy cheap.
  • FWB 29 Dec 2012 11:21:53 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The linear moments really suck in this game. Seem so unatural; awkwardly breaking up the flow. I agree with others that the storyline is awful, and I really don't understand why it has to be. It isn't that difficult to write something midly engaging. A couple of things that would really make this top notch - maybe for Farcry 4:

1) More characters with mini story arcs dotted around the island.
    2) A few more different human baddies than just the pirates. So many of the outposts are deserted. One never has to approach buildings with caution unless they have a red flag, cos there is never anybody there.
    3) Better treasure hunting system. Opening crates only leads to cash. It means hunting for them is pretty dull. I would have placed weapon upgrades in them, not just provided them so easily in the shops. Perhaps even certain items required for crafting too. I miss the excitement that finding a new crate in Borderlands provides.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 11:53:36
    @FWB I'd actually go further with the weapons and weapon attachments and take a location specific context to them. I.e. Only really good stuff in military/pirate bases and make the player work with what he can find rather than giving them a choice a la DayZ.

It would level out the distribution of weapons and attachments and place a real/risk reward element to planning approaches. Perhaps what it really needs is more of a bleak survivalist element, not being dependent on the false illusion of money and actually forcing you to work and think at what you're doing.

Also, more vehicles please, helicopters, light aircraft would be fantastic.

Although bizarrely I'm thinking of a plot involving someone running a light aircraft firm - smuggler? - between a chain of small Islands in which there is an ongoing revolutionary movement. Also, strangely, thinking it might be interesting to make it historical, 1960s setting, for example.
  • FWB 29 Dec 2012 12:15:04 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, all sounds good to me. Certain vehicles could have parts missing that you need to find. Or specific items could be required to open up optional mini story arcs.

The money element in this setting seems very weird. At the very least it shouldn't be so prolific.

What does upping the difficulty do, btw? More enemies? More patrols? Or do they just take more damage? I'm on the mid setting at the moment.
  • mikew1985 29 Dec 2012 12:15:25 12,069 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think a lot of the stuff you guys are talking about were purposefully streamlined in this over the way they were handled in FC2.

I think there probably is a middle ground but in comparison to the horrible slog that almost every little thing was in the last game, the devs have gotten an incredible amount more right here than wrong.
  • FWB 29 Dec 2012 12:19:07 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked the weapon degrading and search for weapons in FC2. Just hated the spawning patrols.

What is really good in FC3 is the experience system. It is very well implemented. As I said before it encourages certain approaches but does not penalise you for not carrying them out. The crafting is good too. The injections are actually useful and I like the idea of hunting for upgrades, since it gives you a reason to go after wildlife. Problem is that once you have the upgrade, that's it. You don't need to go after the animals again. Shame.

Edited by FWB at 12:19:39 29-12-2012
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 12:23:38
    @mikew1985 I know you're right, and especially about the outposts. I really love them in FC3 but probably my only issue with them is the fact the pirates never respond. You provoke and provoke and provoke and they do nothing, just happily let you march across the island, it's not as though they have a power base to protect or anything, right?

A happy median in that way would be a fixed number of forces allotted to an island that the AI could move around (military convoy attacks ahoy!) so that if you're attacking a specific geographic area, the AI can beef the numbers up. Plus, actually have the AI specifically defend key locations more forcefully and personally, change guard pattern routines at different times of day.
  • neilqpr 29 Dec 2012 12:27:41 2,797 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished this yesterday, overall I really enjoyed it. However the ending is up there with rainbow six Vegas 2 as one of the worst ever. Really really bad.
  • FWB 29 Dec 2012 12:30:05 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It would be great to have a dynamic AI, but if it kept assaulting posts you take then you would spend most of your time trying to stop them. As an open world it would be ace. As a game with a storyline you are trying to follow, not so.

Though I agree with the beefed up presence. My best experience so far has been being hunted by a patrol in the jungle.

Edited by FWB at 12:32:23 29-12-2012
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 14:06:38
    It wouldn't require constant assaults of bases you've overtaken, hence why the finite number of soldiers so the AI couldn't just throw them about at will and may even need to pick and choose where it attacks. The more you control, the less AI forces there will be available so the more desperate it is for the AI to use care.

Also, I now feel bad for thinking that a stronghold requiring upgrades and training of local freedom fighters a la AC Brotherhood metagame could also be fun and add a strategic depth to that side of things.
  • FWB 29 Dec 2012 14:12:00 41,980 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    While a wonderful gaming mechanic, it would require some decent AI, coding time which i doubt they have.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 14:19:28
    True enough. Just makes me rather sad that it technically would be possible but constraints force it not to be :<
  • Syrette 29 Dec 2012 14:38:41 41,866 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS

Next time use the handy spoiler tags provided to you.

Edited by Syrette at 14:39:47 29-12-2012

• wogsy81 29 Dec 2012 15:32:45 599 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    3) Better treasure hunting system. Opening crates only leads to cash. It means hunting for them is pretty dull. I would have placed weapon upgrades in them, not just provided them so easily in the shops.
    That is a brilliant idea.
    That would definitely encourage exploration which is always fun in a game like this.

I really hope ubisoft have took some feedback in as their is a lot of great ideas going around that will inject the game world with some much needed action.
    I await the first DLC with baited breath.
  • sanctusmortis 29 Dec 2012 20:57:55 9,590 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The list of animals in the game shows a great white shark. Not seen one though.
    It's a Hunter quest: Maneater Shark.

The radio tower east of the segment of map you open at the start is tiger central. Buffalo, cassowary, tigers. Skinning heaven.
  • drhcnip 29 Dec 2012 22:50:21 2,267 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    just started this & pootling happily - loving it so far

any of you kind chaps point me in the direction of the fucking pigs, though? want to upgrade my syringes & can't find the buggers for the life of me....
  • Syrette 29 Dec 2012 22:52:53 41,866 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really don't like going hunting for skins. It feels like a chore.

Something I have to do before I get on with having fun with the game, because I'll be missing out if I'm lacking holsters/have to keep discarding loot etc.

edit;

@drhcnip

Are they not where the map says they should be?

Edited by Syrette at 22:54:18 29-12-2012

• drhcnip 29 Dec 2012 22:59:15 2,267 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nope - will go back in a bit...been several times and no luck...the pig symbol is the one facing right according to the crafting key so i'm north east of the first fast travel location....no doubt they'll appear sooner or later.....

cheers, though
  • robthehermit 29 Dec 2012 23:13:33 3,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloody Hunter quests. How the hell are you supposed to shoot 4 leopards with a bow and arrow before you get ripped to shreds?

@drhcnip

Pigs are pretty much everywhere. There should be a load of them in the vicinity of Amanaki Village.

• sanctusmortis 29 Dec 2012 23:49:18 9,590 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Bloody Hunter quests. How the hell are you supposed to shoot 4 leopards with a bow and arrow before you get ripped to shreds?

@drhcnip

Pigs are pretty much everywhere. There should be a load of them in the vicinity of Amanaki Village.
    There's a farm halfway between the village and the first Stronghold you take. Marked as komodo dragons on the map (and they are indeed there) but there's also some wild dogs, goats, pigs and tortoises (skin for profit).

As for the leopards: stealth, from a distance, with the zoom sight.
  • drhcnip 29 Dec 2012 23:53:21 2,267 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cheers, folks - just found a shedload of them, quite typically - now for some boar....
  • barchetta 30 Dec 2012 00:03:57 1,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just starting with this but quite enjoying it so far - though frame rate/tearing did take some getting used to (xbox) though thankfully it really is off-putting only on cutscenes. Will need to go back to Just Cause 2 and Crysis to see which 'does' tropical the best but this looks very nice in places.

Sound design is great however. Turned off the music and a night time stroll is an alarming experience!

As mentioned above, some disappointing design omissions take away many potential surprise/discovery moments, just hope it doesn't fall as quickly into the same rinse and repeat cycle as Just Cuase 2 did.
  • robthehermit 30 Dec 2012 00:56:42 3,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rook Island completely mapped. Half a dozen outposts and 2 rare ingredients to do and I think I'll be ready to take on the first story mission. I've unlocked an invulnerability syringe which should come in handy later, and just picked up 'The Shredder', a modded submachine gun that looks quite nice.

• oldschoolsoviet 30 Dec 2012 09:14:35 5,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Syringes of magic invulnerability, animal warding and OHK if you can craft 'em.

Or weaken them with another weapon. You only have to kill them with a bow and arrow. Takes a bit of practice but you'll suss how many rounds it'll take to drop them, stopping short of that next time around.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last