Far Cry 3 Page 51

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 09:54:47
    Just done the bit where you get all your stuff back after being 'killed' by Vaas and the game froze. FFS
  • ModishNouns 11 Dec 2012 10:06:10 4,656 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Just look around for the gold marker and try flanking around the enemies. I remember that quest well, it outstays its welcome a bit but there are a few checkpoints along it too. You pretty much HAVE to do it early or the island is closed off to you.
    Remember to press ==> to throw a rock or 10, very much needed for some of the enemies and obv stay crouched and take your time.
    So the alternate route is a red herring? You have to pick your way through them? That's good news, I suppose. Lack of skill in rock throwing (although the artificial stupidity doesn't help) is an easier pill to swallow than being an idiot and completely missing a ledge or something I should be using.

Back to tiptoeing, then.

Re: FC2's respawns vs. FC3 territory. It's a tricky balance. FC3's system seems way better for the first half of the game. When you get to the south island, though, and you can see the number of outposts dwindling you start to yearn for some kind of respawn system. The San Andreas style re-takeovers dismissed above is a stroke of genius, actually. I'd welcome that.

I posted a page or so back that I'd decided to leave the southern outposts and do the radio towers in hostile territory. It was great. For an hour. Then I'd done all the towers and the outposts were calling to me. Avoiding the outposts is no solution anyway as that's one of the best bits of the game. That's when all the taking down and creeping around really fall into place.

Edited by ModishNouns at 10:07:50 11-12-2012

Edited by ModishNouns at 10:09:20 11-12-2012
  • GreyScale 11 Dec 2012 10:08:04 392 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @ModishNouns - just look around for the gold marker and try flanking around the enemies. I remember that quest well, it outstays its welcome a bit but there are a few checkpoints along it too. You pretty much HAVE to do it early or the island is closed off to you.
    Remember to press ==> to throw a rock or 10, very much needed for some of the enemies and obv stay crouched and take your time.
    Yeah I had loads of problems with that particular bit too, took me about 20 (incredibly frustrating) attempts to get past it.

3 things which I figured out:

- spam the rock throwing. use it to distract the guards in the upper part, then distract the guards in the lower bit separately
    - wait for the guard who is standing on the pier to walk off it into the main room
    - when you sneak down the ramp, WALK off it all the way to the bottom, don't drop off it (even 6 inches) as this will create a noise that alerts the guards
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 10:14:32
    Does anyone else forget they have rocks to throw to distract guards? I barely ever use them. I still use the sneaky method though.
  • agparrot 11 Dec 2012 10:59:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was doing the same mission as @Modishnouns last night - took me a while to get the 'alternative route' thing, too, even leading me at first to back out of the cave the way I had come.

Spoilers contain spoilery clues on how to get around that bit of mission:

Rocks it is, though - there is indeed another route around the inside of the cave, and they've even gone some way to signpost it for you by plonking a healthkit or armour or something flashing on the floor to the 'left' of the two top-ledge guards as you look at them. Then it's just a matter of following this route, and I'm not sure I even needed to throw a rock as I sneaked past the four guys hanging around in the lower bit of the cave.

Getting the mission reward makes traversing the world feel weird, though. You really have to start your own trouble, even if you've left all the outposts in play, as I still have. I'm going to try and leave them that way until I'm a wedge more through the story, although I have scuppered all the Radio Towers now.

I don't think the San Andreas method of outposts being attacked by enemies would be all that unwelcome, either. I hear what @krushing says about it being a bit of a cheap tactic, but the mechanics of inter-faction battles are already in place in FC3, so you wouldn't necessarily even have to have the attackers winning in every case, just a bit of a contest for the landmass, like a single player, open world game of CoD Domination. It might even help to give a sense of being involved in a larger conflict. It's something Games still haven't managed to do any more effectively than it was done in the original Carrier Command, really.
  • 1Dgaf 11 Dec 2012 11:02:16 3,884 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've put some story quests on easy. Just want to get them out of the way.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• FogHeart 11 Dec 2012 11:40:13 953 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How does territorial war work in other games? Is it a case of 'go to the flashing location or pretty soon the outpost turns red again'? Do they become a main mission and the story missions are suspended until then, or if you are mid-story mission will you find yourself having to hurry it up?
  • 1Dgaf 11 Dec 2012 11:52:50 3,884 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was a flashing area in San Andreas. You don't have to take it back, but I think owning a certain amount is a prequisite for finishing the game.

• Popzeus 11 Dec 2012 12:07:07 8,361 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The flamethrower mission checkpointed awkwardly for me last night: I had no regular ammo left for the final bit and had to retry lots of times until I finally managed to get a patrol to walk into my C4 trap so I could loot them for AK ammo and finish off the rest of them.

Meanwhile that infernal Skrillex track was looping for about 45 minutes, gradually sending my wife into a murderous rage.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:10:07
    The Ink Monster fight was quite cool. The bewbs at the end of the mission were quite good too.
  • ModishNouns 11 Dec 2012 12:15:14 4,656 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The ink monster boss fight sucked tapir balls.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:20:49
    @ModishNouns It wasn't what I was expecting, which was interesting for the 5 minutes it lasted.
  • krushing 11 Dec 2012 14:02:08 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ModishNouns
    re: the stealthy mission
    I don't think I threw a single rock in that mission - except for the very first guy at the top of the structure. There's a pretty clear path through it (and the "alternate route" thing is very close to the end of it anyway).

Edited by krushing at 14:03:05 11-12-2012
  • Gambit1977 11 Dec 2012 14:25:03 10,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished. Decided against looking for every single relic as got a little bored. The ending was a bit rubbish
  • ubergine 11 Dec 2012 15:09:30 2,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So it's a huge deal that Tomb Raider has this guy who tries to grope Lara's croft a bit, but no one's ever mentioned Far Cry 3 has this guy who rapes this other guy, quite a lot apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• mikeck 11 Dec 2012 15:29:56 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ubergine Raaaaaaar! Didn't know that!!
  • robthehermit 11 Dec 2012 16:31:05 4,155 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• smoothpete 11 Dec 2012 16:35:23 31,574 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ubergine, I mentioned that earlier in the thread. It does seem quite strange to me too.
  • Popzeus 11 Dec 2012 16:40:12 8,361 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone and his dog has mentioned that, in about 75% of the reviews I've read.

• robthehermit 11 Dec 2012 16:44:08 4,155 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't know. But then it's my own fault that I know now, I'm not getting the game until chrimbly, so shouldn't even be in here.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ModishNouns 11 Dec 2012 16:45:00 4,656 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I didn't know. But then it's my own fault that I know now, I'm not getting the game until chrimbly, so shouldn't even be in here.
    Get out!
  • Popzeus 11 Dec 2012 16:46:27 8,361 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm more surprised that the tabloids haven't feigned outrage at the way the game coerces you into killing endangered species.

• kinky_mong 11 Dec 2012 17:51:28 10,432 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    I'm more surprised that the tabloids haven't feigned outrage at the way the game coerces you into killing endangered species.
    The Tabloids will ignore it but PETA will definitely make a shitty flash game about it when they want some easy press coverage.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 17:52:42
    You don't actually see any rape occur. It's just assumed that Keith was abused by Buck. It's pretty clear that's what happened just before you kill Buck though.
  • 1Dgaf 11 Dec 2012 18:13:31 3,884 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I killed a tiger.

It was rare.

• ubergine 12 Dec 2012 08:31:49 2,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fantomex It's pretty clear from the start, but I think they added the gratuitous bit at the end for anyone who hadn't caught up yet. I didn't think the whole thing was left open to interpretation but they clearly wanted the Buck character to be this likable (and magical?) monster like a Tarrantino villain, which they openly (and awkwardly, in hindsight) reference at the beginning of Buck's chapter.

(The player character references a rapist from Kill Bill for no apparent reason)

Edited by ubergine at 08:33:24 12-12-2012

• Deleted user 12 December 2012 09:17:06
    @ubergine I completely agree. The point I was making was that you don't actually see any rape. Hence there not being any controversy. It's a case of 'If I can't see it, it's not there', I think.

It's quite far into the game anyway so I don't think anyone is actually that bothered. Although is does take sometime for people to catch on though.

"My name is Buck and I'm here to F..."
    Not the best Kill Bill quote to use really, but that kind of sums up the character a bit.

Edited by Fantomex at 09:17:21 12-12-2012
  • ubergine 12 Dec 2012 09:41:03 2,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Point is, you don't see any rape in Tomb Raider either. The difference is, THERE IS NO RAPE in Tomb Raider.

No rape = massive controversy
    repeated brutal man rape = doesn't rate a mention

• Deleted user 12 December 2012 16:32:28
    Just rescued Ollie. Fuck me, your girlfriend is annoying.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last