Far Cry 3 Page 50

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• RedSparrows 10 Dec 2012 11:28:51 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Once again, I'll say I loved FC2, as all the flaws worked with the good bits to make it the most oppressive game I've ever played. So dark, and without the need for CoD bollocks 'DO YOU MACHINE GUN A CIVILIAN OR NOT??!?!?!!'.
  • krushing 10 Dec 2012 11:39:20 776 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally managed the bow kill from >70m trophy /o/

Anyway - it would be interesting to see some kind of a middle ground between outposts just respawning and the current version of nothing ever happening afterwards - would be cool if the reinforcements actually came from somewhere and you could set to ambush them, and there would be a finite supply of them. Say, once a week a plane would land and some groups would emerge and try and take back some of the outposts; not random "this area is under attack", but rather a bigger, believeable infrastructure to the whole thing.
  • RedSparrows 10 Dec 2012 12:09:58 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't played FC3, but it does sound typical that they'd realise the respawns were too frequent and too much in FC2, and then go the other way and simply remove everything once the player had taken one.
  • MadCaddy13 10 Dec 2012 12:23:29 1,840 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fantomex wrote:
    I'm on the mission were you rescue Oliver while sniping. They don't let you use your own sniper rifle, no, you have to use the shitty one provided. Fucked it up twice now.
    Watch the spoilers
  • krushing 10 Dec 2012 13:12:21 776 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I haven't played FC3, but it does sound typical that they'd realise the respawns were too frequent and too much in FC2, and then go the other way and simply remove everything once the player had taken one.
    Well, they don't remove *everything* to be honest - taking an outpost just makes the area "safer" (as the game puts it), which means less random patrols and such. They just never try to reclaim the lost outposts but of course such behaviour would require quite a big change of how it happens under the hood, or otherwise it'd just become an annoyance (like, say, the hood takeover fights in GTA:SA).
  • repairmanjack 10 Dec 2012 13:52:27 5,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was only upon hitting the second island, and finding something like a challenge again, that I realised how quiet the last few hours of play had become.

If you're cheering for the lack of respawning outposts, thanks for your input in the development of this game. If all you want is a walk, go to the park.
  • waggy79 10 Dec 2012 14:24:09 796 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im glad they got rid of the respawns, one of my main hates of FC2, but why make the areas quieter? Keep the usual patrolling enemies (easy to avoid, kill them anyway) and you still have the benefit of fast travelling, shopping, etc at outposts.
  • spamdangled 10 Dec 2012 14:30:44 27,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does anyone know if there's a way you can select which chapter you play in coop? I'm sick of getting the first one over and over again.

You can do it in offline, but it doesn't look like it's possible in an online game.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• GreyScale 10 Dec 2012 14:47:24 392 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So which animal did everyone feel worst about killing?

Galapagos tortoise for me. Shuffling up a grassy hillside minding his own business, as I approached he tucked himself up into his shell in fear. Poor little thing.

Didn't stop me from carving him up into glistening red cubes with my ninja knife and selling his shell for a few measly dollah though.
  • B0rked_Gamer 10 Dec 2012 15:07:40 1,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where the fuck are dingos at? I want to kill some dingos.
  • 1Dgaf 10 Dec 2012 15:11:31 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I felt bad about killing a tapir as it was running away. Also a bear, since I thought it might contain something as part of a mission. (I didn't.)

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• smoothpete 10 Dec 2012 15:24:28 31,019 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bear, tiger, tortoise. The rest can suck my dick. Fucking cassowaries.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Dec 2012 15:25:55 6,989 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    Im glad they got rid of the respawns, one of my main hates of FC2, but why make the areas quieter? Keep the usual patrolling enemies (easy to avoid, kill them anyway) and you still have the benefit of fast travelling, shopping, etc at outposts.
    Yeah, this is weird.

I'm one of those that hated the respawning checkpoints in FC2 but they've gone wayyy too far the other direction. It needed a balance. Random roaming patrols and the occasional outpost attack would be ideal.
  • aeschylus 10 Dec 2012 15:39:06 446 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished it

Best quest for me was easily the drug fields

I am not sure if has much replay value, I did all the radio towers (loved that idea) and all the camps, so my whole island was one of love and friendship....

Not that fussed about collecting all the little bits and bobs... I wont talk about the ending to be fair to others.

Highlight for me was crashing my jeep after driving off a mountain, me getting out of said jeep start to run down the road, and get overtaken by a burning tyre rolling down the road.....

That level of detail is insane
  • FogHeart 10 Dec 2012 16:47:10 911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't want to kill sharks or tigers - not scared, it's just that in real life these two species are in serious trouble.

Sharks, probably the oldest species that have ever existed, will finally find their end at the hands of poachers sawing off their fins while they are still alive and then throwing them back in the water to die slowly. They do this for Chinese criminal gangs who sell them to Chinese restaurants who make shark fin soup for nouveau riche Chinese who see comsumption of the dish as a sign of prestige. Shark fins actually don't have any taste whatsoever - the dish would taste the same without it.

Tigers, Chinese medicine, you know the story...

Yeah, I know, only a game, but it's still sad, there could have been missions to kill poachers and use the skins they had for your own needs, a bit like stealing the cash drop from a drug lord to fund hunting down more drug lords. I would have loved to do that.
  • 1Dgaf 10 Dec 2012 17:07:47 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think there needs to be a coordinated effort to make people that buy shark and tiger products stupid. Social shame and ridding people of superstition might be one way to slow the killing. Of course going after buyers would also do it, but presumably if you can afford the stuff you're rich enough to buy off corrupt coppers.

• repairmanjack 10 Dec 2012 17:08:30 5,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the animal I was happiest to kill was a croc. I had no idea they were in the game... the first one I encountered was when I plunged down a mineshaft and into a pool of water.

Ten seconds later I had a much bigger surprise. I don't think I've leapt out of my seat like that since that bastard of a bear in Condemned 2!
  • FogHeart 10 Dec 2012 17:19:05 911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @1Dgaf Unfortunately there are millions of potential customers who don't get access to the media we all have - they sit behind the Great Firewall of China, they read state newspapers and watch state television. The Chinese government has banned sale of endangered species but they are fighting a thousand years or more of tradition. And they won't relax their censorship of the outside world so their people can see what we think of them. Even if they did, would it help? I don't know what the answer is. Maybe there isn't one.

Edited by FogHeart at 17:20:14 10-12-2012
  • captbirdseye 10 Dec 2012 17:52:44 4,355 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think i've killed enough Goats that WWF can now add them to the list.
  • 1Dgaf 10 Dec 2012 19:54:11 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ollie's a bit of a plonker, isn't he? Second, the conversation between Jason and his girlfriend isn't only implausible, but his response is a bit farcical.

She's worried he's changing (no shit). He says he's finally taking control of his life and that he's on 'his path'. New age nonsense. THere've got to be better ways for the character to respond.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 19:55:32 10-12-2012

• MadCaddy13 10 Dec 2012 21:08:20 1,840 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Who the fuck puts a bomb on a fucking boat??! that was retarded
  • FightingMongoose 11 Dec 2012 00:06:12 492 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I totally fluked that bow kill from 70 metres achievement, it was magical.
  • neilka 11 Dec 2012 00:44:18 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Bear, tiger, tortoise. The rest can suck my dick. Fucking cassowaries.
    /fist bump
  • Phattso Moderator 11 Dec 2012 02:07:13 12,725 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    If you're cheering for the lack of respawning outposts, thanks for your input in the development of this game. If all you want is a walk, go to the park.
    @repairmanjack That's a bit harsh, I think, unless I've misunderstood you? The respawning outposts in FC2 were bollocks. They were indefensible, especially in light of the way area transitions were pushed through choke-holes. For more casual players especially (and I don't mean that in a grandma waggling a Wiimote kinda way) it made the game impenetrable. In fact, effectively unplayable in short bursts for people like me. That was a waste of a great game world and a lot of effort.

I bought it twice; first on PC (the wow factor of that engine was immense... I still remember when I first played it) then on the 360. Did maybe 20 hours combined, which in a game like that isn't much - and it got less and less fun. :(

There's enough challenge in FC3 that it's some distance from a walk in the park. It's one of those wonderful "make your own fun" opportunities. Why not try to take an outpost with only the pistol? Or with only takedowns? At least that's how I've been doing it. Also walking to the missions (which I can do now the risk of being reamed by a patrol camp I cleaned out ten minutes ago) and doing all the activities on the way. Absolutely easier, I don't disagree with you, but so much more varied and enjoyable. I guess there's the higher difficulty settings if you want more of a sense of trepidation?

I'm loving it. And the random patrols are still in there, or at least I've come across a few when wandering around supposedly "safe" areas and ended up in a gunfight and my arse in a sling. :)

So no, I didn't want a walk in the park and I didn't get one. I just wanted a game world I could enjoy, no matter how frequently I could play.
  • buggrit 11 Dec 2012 05:56:38 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I just wanted a game world I could enjoy, no matter how frequently I could play.
    This is exactly it, for me. FC2 was a stunning achievement but an absolute arseache to actually play - 3 is more of the game I wanted FC2 to be. You set your own level of challenge too - if you want the game to be harder, DON'T take over the outposts and enjoy getting bummed by patrols constantly.
  • MadCaddy13 11 Dec 2012 07:51:49 1,840 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep v true. I was talking to a mate about and said if you don't take outposts and don't craft any holsters, ammo pouches etc the game will only get harder.
    Next time I play I might just plot through the story and see how far I go before I need to upgrade!
  • MadCaddy13 11 Dec 2012 07:54:49 1,840 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FogHeart I'm a bit like that in the game too but not as extreme. I make sure that every time I kill an animal I skin it even if I don't want/need it. Just so that it died for a purpose
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 09:08:35
    Just finished the Buck missions, probably my favourites so far. Some great graphics when you finally get down to the tomb. Felt a bit Tomb Raider-y
  • ModishNouns 11 Dec 2012 09:16:47 4,633 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was struggling last night with the first mission for Sam where you have to pick your way through the caves to get to the docks to steal a uniform. The first bit is okay but when I get into the cave and Jason says "I'd better find an alternate route" I can't find an alternate route. Tried many times to ignore him and tiptoe between the heavies but always died horribly. If I go outside and drop into the water, mission fails. Fuck this no killing people. I kill people. It's what I do.

Any tips?
  • Lotos8ter 11 Dec 2012 09:51:35 2,326 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ModishNouns - just look around for the gold marker and try flanking around the enemies. I remember that quest well, it outstays its welcome a bit but there are a few checkpoints along it too. You pretty much HAVE to do it early or the island is closed off to you.
    Remember to press ==> to throw a rock or 10, very much needed for some of the enemies and obv stay crouched and take your time.

Fiat Lux

• Page

of 78 First / Last