Far Cry 3 Page 48

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 8 Dec 2012 14:23:08 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's starting to click, now. I was chatting to an XBL friend as I played and with the game taking second place to the conversation, I enjoyed it more.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• agparrot 8 Dec 2012 14:57:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Uh oh, does this have the "Attack The Block" effect then, where the protaginists are so utterly unlikeable you want them to die horribly?
    I think that with Far Cry 3 it is largely possible to just ignore the protagonists for the most part. I've done very little of the story, as far as I know, and have spent much more time driving, running, hangliding around the place hunting things, hanging out spying on enemies before trying to down them with a bow and arrow, and generally just mucking about in the world.

I have done a few of the story missions, and as others have mentioned, some of the NPCs are strikingly well realised, but your little posse of chums really are the worst kind of bellends.

I'm unsure how this sits with me at the moment. On the one hand, I don't really care because the story mission bits have turned more into comic interludes as a result of my disinterest in the guy you are playing. This means there is a huge disconnect between the way I'm playing the game, and the character of the story that the game has put me in control of. This is always a risk with open world games, I think.

On the other hand, It means that I can make imaginary little whooping noises in my head when I'm out on the road, and I spot a gaggle of giant blue-headead turkey creatures, where I make a game out of trying to run them all down with a jeep as they bolt for cover. It seems like just the kind of utterly crass bellendery that the baseball-cap wearing, dudebro tosspot that I'm in control of would do for fun, alongside his other favourite games of 'lure a tiger towards your allies' or 'can I kill a shark with grenades?'.

The short answer to your question about wanting them all to die horribly is probably Yes, though.
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 15:00:16 11,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @agparrot - perfect post :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ModishNouns 8 Dec 2012 16:40:21 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes that about sums it up.

I haven't spent a lot of time worrying about how I feel about the Scooby gang so it hasn't impacted the game at all. I think I just dismissed them at an early stage.

I'm enjoying the story missions because they are largely superbly designed and characters like Vass and Buck really entertaining.

I would recommend you don't neglect the story completely because apart from being, as I said, some of the better open world story missions I've played, they are also the only way to unlock some of the better toys and (confirmed*) the south island.

There is a moment of "Jason who?" whenever the name is mentioned because it's not Jason in the jeep, slithering round a corner on the way to kill a pirate chief. It's me.

*sail south too far too soon and your immershunz will be broken to pieces.

Edited by ModishNouns at 16:46:38 08-12-2012
  • Maturin 8 Dec 2012 20:30:32 2,890 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just done a mission given to me by Buck - into an underground temple where I got a ring to attach to that magic compass thing. Am I far from unlocking the southern island?

Edited by Maturin at 20:30:47 08-12-2012
  • ModishNouns 8 Dec 2012 21:29:18 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There are a handful of missions left I think. Just done Buck's missions myself and still not quite got off the north island.
  • smoothpete 8 Dec 2012 21:41:43 31,347 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You still have a few bits to do before the south island unlocks. Not too long though.

Re: the characters. I really empathised. Weird feeling for a game actually, that's a first for me. They might be bellends, but they are innocents.

Edited by smoothpete at 21:42:02 08-12-2012
  • ModishNouns 8 Dec 2012 21:50:01 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stupid boss fight X(

Edit: Reward! :-)

Edited by ModishNouns at 21:56:40 08-12-2012
  • B0rked_Gamer 8 Dec 2012 21:56:19 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh great they put a boss fight in.
  • smoothpete 8 Dec 2012 21:57:28 31,347 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What boss fight? Is there one?
  • PearOfAnguish 8 Dec 2012 22:17:14 7,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got some weird bug with the weapon menu. My assault rifle category says there's a new item, but there's nothing else showing in there. Anyone else had this?
  • Maturin 8 Dec 2012 22:37:37 2,890 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Got some weird bug with the weapon menu. My assault rifle category says there's a new item, but there's nothing else showing in there. Anyone else had this?
    Is it in the signature weapons section?
  • ModishNouns 9 Dec 2012 11:25:23 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Near the end of the first island.

edit: spoiler tags didn't work from app. Removed detail.

Edited by ModishNouns at 11:26:59 09-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Dec 2012 11:39:35 14,422 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So chaps
    I we feeling Far Cry 3 over 2?
    Even though 2 had a good few faults, I really enjoyed it. I'm around 2 hours in (only 6 missions down) on FC3 and think this game is also rather great. But I would prob say 2 is the better...at the moment, that could and probably will change given more play time.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Maturin 9 Dec 2012 11:44:57 2,890 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

Do you mean the guy on the boat?
  • 1Dgaf 9 Dec 2012 11:56:56 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone else notice that, on the flamethrower mission, all the dialogue is about a flamethrower even if you didn't use one?

NPCS: 'He's using a flamethrower!'

Jason: 'I love this thing!'

Guy you give the quest to 'Did you like flamethrower?'

I used a sniper rifle.

• waggy79 9 Dec 2012 12:16:09 915 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol I guess after being given this free flamethrower they'd expect you to use it :-)
  • Kostabi 9 Dec 2012 12:17:11 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Using their own mounted machine guns against them made me feel like Rambo earlier.

I was going to wait until it was cheap but the enthusiasm on this thread swayed me and I'm glad it did. First FPS I've played in ages and really enjoyed.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Dec 2012 12:23:22 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rambo? Mounted machine gun?

Rambo = bow and explosive arrow.

• ModishNouns 9 Dec 2012 12:27:30 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    ModishNouns wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

Do you mean the guy on the boat?
    No, the ink monster.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Dec 2012 12:30:34 14,422 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Rambo? Mounted machine gun?

Rambo = bow and explosive arrow.
    Rambo FB pt II: Bow
    John Rambo: Mounted machine gun

...speaking of which when are we getting the Rambo game

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Kostabi 9 Dec 2012 12:32:03 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of movie tie-ins, surely this game is begging for a Jurassic Park mod?
  • 1Dgaf 9 Dec 2012 12:33:04 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know the films in which he used the weapons. But the most recent film isn't the classic.

• monkehhh 9 Dec 2012 13:00:42 3,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think I'm about 15 hours in and just doing the last radio tower on the first island, just been given a flamethrower (though I've had one for ages) to burn some naughty stuff. I love going to town on the camps - mixing it up with silenced sniper and SMG, drag off takedowns, molotovs, C4 and mines. And the flare gun :)
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 13:26:32
    this game is OK, a solid 7/10. don't know what EG's review team are smoking

some ropey performance on 360 tho
  • welshben23 9 Dec 2012 13:32:47 1,074 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    this game is OK, a solid 7/10. don't know what EG's review team are smoking
    You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
  • spamdangled 9 Dec 2012 13:47:24 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's an excellent game in search of a wee bit more variety, but then the same can be said about almost every other open world game out there.

Coop is a wasted opportunity though.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Kostabi 9 Dec 2012 15:09:58 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are boar like unicorns in this? I can't find one for love nor money. :/
  • Vortex808 9 Dec 2012 15:29:27 6,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Are boar like unicorns in this? I can't find one for love nor money. :/
    I keep bumping into them. Dingos were my problem for a while. Now I keep running into them all the time too.

At least all the pelts keep me awash with cash.

I need to do a few more hunters challenges, to up my ammo etc. The 96 item loot bag was well worth the effort!

I need to push the story on instead of exploring though. I have 8 skill points I can't spend until I progress that a bit further. The item maps are well worth their money imo.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last