Far Cry 3 Page 5

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 February 2012 07:53:20
    @Whizzo

From what the devs were saying in the video preview the protagonist isn't particularly good at these combat maneovres off the bat. Maybe the gun jamming mechanic from 2 is extending to fumbled knife throws, inefficient stealth kills etc...

It's going to be a challenge to stop that from being frustrating if so.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2012 10:45:24
    Please get rid of gun jamming. That did my head in tbh.
  • RedSparrows 17 Feb 2012 10:53:29 23,857 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was easily avoidable but added a little spice, for me.
  • Pumpatron 17 Feb 2012 10:59:37 384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think gun jamming and degradation is gone.

Which doesn't bother me too much, I didn't think it was well implemented in FC2 anyway. They never jammed for your enemies, yet you pick up a gun they'd been using without any problems and it falls to pieces within a couple of minutes, plus there was no way to repair them, you had to get a 'new' one from your safe house. Not a big deal, but the whole degradation thing just didn't work for me.

If they brought it back and improved it, making it universal so it effected your enemies etc then great. But it not being there isn't a big issue for me.

Edited by Pumpatron at 11:02:33 17-02-2012
  • Deleted user 17 February 2012 11:05:30
    I liked the degradation thing. Sure it was over exaggerated but it made me for one cherish my shop bought gear. It added a hint of realism, not necessarily in its implementation but in the fact that real soldiers would only pick up a gun lying around if absolutely necessary, due to the risk of not being able to get along with the weapon, reliability etc....

And enemies did have weapon jams as far as I saw. I often charged them with the machete in these moments.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2012 11:07:22
    Don't AKs work forever?
  • Whizzo 17 Feb 2012 11:08:05 43,269 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked it, it made you think on your feet and it forced you to adapt. They probably jammed more than was realistic but considering the poor state most of the weapons were in it's not surprising the things would pack up on you.

Edited by Whizzo at 11:09:12 17-02-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• fletch7100 17 Feb 2012 11:12:45 7,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup just like this one

• RedSparrows 17 Feb 2012 11:15:12 23,857 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyway, the annoyances in FC2 somehow added up to making the game better for me. They wore me down in real life, and the game is all about wear and tear and a creeping sense of emptiness.

/wub FC2
  • Deleted user 17 February 2012 11:15:45
    heh
  • FogHeart 17 Feb 2012 12:44:44 961 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dammit, I'm at work now, but at home I've got a link to a forum where someone wrote tools that can edit various xml files in the Far Cry 2 for PC folder. You can't stop checkpoint respawning, because that was a result of leaving a cell and re-entering it, something so ingrained into the program that it was too hard to patch out. But there are parameters for how far ahead you can be in your car before the chasers give up - which effectively put an end to checkpoint enemies hopping into a car and chasing - and how quickly guns degraded, and how effective the ghillie suit was (thus preventing enemies sniping you from a mile away). It doesn't fix the game, but it makes it tolerable.

Meanwhile I'm having a few reservations about Far Cry 3. It seems you're killing lots of enemies cheaply instead of playing cat-and-mouse as you did before. I'm worried that the atmosphere of tragedy is being lost - that you were in a beautiful land that's being ruined by greed and hubris, something the music - classical strings and mournful African singing - captured so well.
  • Vortex808 17 Feb 2012 15:44:01 7,460 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know why the weapon jamming annoyed so many people. I'd always take my new hideout/shop bought stuff so that didn't happen, and only picked them up if I was in a dire ammo situation and needed a new gun fast.

I loved FC2's overall atmosphere and hope the new one is the same.

Like everyone else, I can live without the daft checkpoint mechanics and the eagle-eyed marksmen who saw you creeping through long grass. Which often annoyed the shit out of me, but was livable with.

I liked the bullet gouging health recovery style too which left you vulnerable for a while and really ramped the tension up from time to time.

I also really hope it's got cars that are fully fixable with just a wrench again though! :D
  • FogHeart 17 Feb 2012 15:55:40 961 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that was funny. "Oi, stop shooting at me, you know how it loosens the radiator nut!"

Edited by FogHeart at 15:56:19 17-02-2012
  • Deleted user 17 February 2012 16:02:21
    ^Weapon jamming doesn't add anything or enhance the game at all, it's just there to annoying the player, and so was that malaria crap, it fleshes the game out longer than it needs to be and makes you sick with all the blurry motion on screen, "you get ill so you can't play the game till you go visit a doctor and get some pills" it's worse than in Castlevania Simons Quest when the game pauses and turns to night, it's horrible game design.
  • RedSparrows 17 Feb 2012 18:37:42 23,857 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Both were easily avoidable. Malaria only hit you on main story missions. Which was silly, but there we are.
  • Pumpatron 18 Feb 2012 11:36:29 384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    Meanwhile I'm having a few reservations about Far Cry 3. It seems you're killing lots of enemies cheaply instead of playing cat-and-mouse as you did before. I'm worried that the atmosphere of tragedy is being lost - that you were in a beautiful land that's being ruined by greed and hubris, something the music - classical strings and mournful African singing - captured so well.
    We've only seen a small amount of gameplay and by the look of it, it was on an easy setting so he was able to go cut through enemies quickly, on harder settings I expect (and hope) that it will be a lot more cat-and-mouse.

As for the atmosphere, FC3 seems to be going for an atmosphere of mystery, which to me is far more interesting. Exploring the island and discovering it's dark history and secrets bit by bit sounds great to me.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2012 11:42:26
    I didn't see the need for the Malaria. It had no payoff and you die anyway.
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Feb 2012 17:49:54 5,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First gameplay vid.

AK sounds a bit......wishy-washy. Hallucinations replacing malaria. Enclosed area fights. Too much HUD.
    Hmmmm.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 17:55:13 18-02-2012
  • ecu 18 Feb 2012 17:51:42 77,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks so generic.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2012 18:02:20
    Malaria; that was it. Memories of the game are coming back to me.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2012 18:27:02
    Looks ok from what I've seen, although there is no way that footage is for the consoles. It will most likely be a great game on the PC but the console port will be crap.
  • ecu 18 Feb 2012 18:28:09 77,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's console footage. You can see the green "A" from the 360 controller when he's using the binoculars in the first 5 seconds of the video.
  • Derblington 18 Feb 2012 18:46:54 22,100 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought that looked decent, certainly not what I'd describe as generic. The hallucinations won't be a replacement for malaria, it'll be specific to certain areas to do with the druggy doctor and might be used as a temp health/performance boost, at a guess. Overdose and you'll go funny.

It moves at a nice pace, the island looks like fun, everything seems solid and weighty but not at the expense of responsiveness. Looking forward to it, personally.
  • Duffking 18 Feb 2012 18:58:30 7,479 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looked like it was being played on super duper very extremely easy difficulty. Presumably it won't be quite so run and gun. Hopefully.
  • Pumpatron 18 Feb 2012 19:46:00 384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Derblington, I agree. It looks good to me.

It's obviously on easy, but the combat looks really slick and fun. The combat being clunky in FC2 was one of my main issues with the game. So I'm really pleased to see they've worked on it.

They've said in interviews you'll be able to go in stealthy, snipe from a distance etc and mix-up how you play, that play-through shows the run and gun approach, played on easy... maybe that's what's putting people off, dunno.

I was also reading that you'll gain new abilities as the game progresses, I'm guessing that double take-down with the knife will be one of those things.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2012 21:00:00 5,355 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks just like the recent-ish Crysis port on the Xbox 360 to be honest ... but more colourful and vibrant!

I hope the enemy A.I. is not quite as dumb as the video shows nor a repetition of samey-looking bad guys; how many more times do I have to shoot a group of military soldiers that all look almost exactly the same?!

... it does look like fun though and the hallucinational sequence was great!

I am not a big huge fan of FPS games however, both Crysis and Far Cry seems to make me sit up and take notice despite their respective sequels being not-quite-as-good as the originals.
  • Madder-Max 18 Feb 2012 21:27:22 11,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cod Cause Cry 3?

Generic shittines

99 problems and being ginger is one

• RedSparrows 18 Feb 2012 23:46:21 23,857 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How about we keep an open mind, with perhaps a modicum of reasoning. Or is that too hard for your brain boxes?

Honestly, if you lot were all sat in front of a Tv together I can just imagine you flicking through, saying 'shit' after 2 seconds for each.
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Feb 2012 00:04:24 5,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sums up TV pretty nicely I think.

It's just missing that 'something special'. Namely Africa. Need to see more open play/expanse with a bit more freeform action. And the optional no-HUD mode.
  • Derblington 19 Feb 2012 00:11:59 22,100 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's your problem with the HUD?

It's a mini map in the bottom left corner, the rest (health/ammo count, damage indicator) fade when out of combat.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last