Far Cry 3 Page 40

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 10:52:41
    @Vortex808 You definitely want to get a sniper rifle as soon as possible. I've found it's best to clear outposts from a distance. I'm not really sure about maps as I haven't used one yet, but with relics they do appear on the main map and chant when you get really close to them.
  • Deckard1 5 Dec 2012 10:57:20 27,596 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sniper rifles are for pussies. Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe

Hush you ponce

• TVoJ 5 Dec 2012 11:12:18 1,852 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    @Gambit1977

Agreed but i didn't let them play the 'No Russian' level. Although i suspect they have probably played it at a friend's house but i can only do what i can do.
    and you were right to make that decision.

sadly other people's parents are another matter.

it would help if shops (including online which of course is impossible to police) didn't sell games to kids like this, or by proxy (knowing full well it's for the kid that's stood right there). I've seen this happen at Game time and time again. Fuckers should lose their jobs.
    I'm not saying this never happens but in general that's horse shit. Shops normally don't sell games to kids but parents buy them regardless of the warnings being offered. That comes from first hand experience. Selling games to a kid by proxy? Get a grip will you. It's this simple. If someone is old enough to buy then you gotta sell regardless of whether you think they'll let the kids play it or not. If you kept refusing adults then you'd soon lose your job.
  • neilqpr 5 Dec 2012 11:14:36 2,838 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I got attacked by a crock on the first mission where you had to gather plants. I'd assumed that was scripted for that mission. Didn't it happen to anyone else?
    Didn't see my first croc till last night, after about 16 hours of play.
  • neilqpr 5 Dec 2012 11:18:29 2,838 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As for relics etc, buy the maps and they all show up. Also buy the more expensive sniper rifle as you can stick a silencer on that one.
  • Maturin 5 Dec 2012 11:31:14 2,936 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I worked at EB many years ago (the 90s) our manager was quite happy for us to refuse to sell an 18 rated game to an adult when it was clear they were buying it for a child.

Shops can perfectly legally refuse a sale. I doubt GAME would these days though.
  • Vortex808 5 Dec 2012 11:33:07 7,049 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    As for relics etc, buy the maps and they all show up. Also buy the more expensive sniper rifle as you can stick a silencer on that one.
    Nice one, I have added silencers to a pistol and smg already after remembering how important to sneaking the silenced mp5 was in FC2. I just need to save up for that sniper rifle now!

Thanks for the tips folks.
  • ModishNouns 5 Dec 2012 11:34:44 4,655 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought I was going to hate the radio towers but they're actually quite addictive.
  • neilqpr 5 Dec 2012 11:36:50 2,838 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I went to a midnight launch at game for the launch of GTA4, I'd say a third of the queue was made up of mothers with clearly underage children. I'm guessing in the majority of cases the mothers weren't buying it for themselves.
  • Ultrasoundwave 5 Dec 2012 11:42:58 3,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe
    Absolutely agree with this - i have no idea why, but im finding myself using the Recurve pretty much every time i approach a group of enemies undetected.

Its a brilliant weapon and easily the most satisfying one to use in the game.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Maturin 5 Dec 2012 11:48:03 2,936 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe
    Absolutely agree with this - i have no idea why, but im finding myself using the Recurve pretty much every time i approach a group of enemies undetected.

I find myself using it less now I have a silenced sniper rifle. But the truth is I was more successful at clearing out outposts with the bow. Must force myself to go back to using it more.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Dec 2012 11:50:41 7,195 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:
    Nice one, I have added silencers to a pistol and smg already after remembering how important to sneaking the silenced mp5 was in FC2. I just need to save up for that sniper rifle now!

Thanks for the tips folks.
    Try the MS16. It's a powerful semi-auto assault rifle which can be fitted with a silencer.
  • SYS64738 5 Dec 2012 12:00:54 1,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really like the unscripted moments in this. Roadkilled a shark yesterday, thought it's safe to take a swim to skin it. Then I realised I'm losing health due to running out of breath but in fact a second shark had a nibble on my arm!

Shooting the enemy is also much better than in FC2, less bullet sponges and I like the way they keep looking around for you in the wider area rather than immediately going back to their scripted original route.

I'm properly hooked can't wait to get back to it... and most of my playtime was just messing about rather than following the story.

Oh and some of the tutorial texts are quite funny, even John McCain gets a mention hehe.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• SYS64738 5 Dec 2012 12:04:13 1,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Or another text describing older women bathing in the blood of their husbands murdered dreams (it was only really about some flower's attributes). Had a proper chuckle at that.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• krushing 5 Dec 2012 12:15:57 777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe

I find myself using it less now I have a silenced sniper rifle. But the truth is I was more successful at clearing out outposts with the bow. Must force myself to go back to using it more.
    I went the same route, then went back to the bow - it seems to easily penetrate the bulletproof vests, meaning no headshots needed. That, and it's simply much more satisfying to use. And then there's the signature sniper rifle with exploding bullets which is pretty awesome, although no suppressor.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:01:32 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe

I dunno, when I use it I find its range a bit too limiting to be useful. I was hoping for something more akin to what it looks like we'll get in crysis 3.

I was hoping it to be a bit more of a sniping tool, more along the lines of a crossbow.

/shrug

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:04:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    @Gambit1977

Agreed but i didn't let them play the 'No Russian' level. Although i suspect they have probably played it at a friend's house but i can only do what i can do.
    and you were right to make that decision.

sadly other people's parents are another matter.

it would help if shops (including online which of course is impossible to police) didn't sell games to kids like this, or by proxy (knowing full well it's for the kid that's stood right there). I've seen this happen at Game time and time again. Fuckers should lose their jobs.
    Regardless of whether or not the kid is right there, as long as there is an adult over the age of consent making the purchase there isn't a lot the shop can do. Age ratings are there as a requirement for a decision from a parent or guardian who can make an informed choice, not a nanny-state outright ban on anything some people might deem to be objectionable - especially when people mature at different rates.

More could be done to educate parents in the store as far as content is concerned, but then you have the hard-to-shift legacy of the "its just for kids" leftover from a more innocent age.
    There are two things the shop can do: sell the item knowingly (which carries a huge fine for the individual sales assistant), or not sell it. Each time i've seen this happen I didn't see any evidence of a gun held to the sales assistant's head so I can only assume they made the choice through pig ignorance. Fuck them. These people are a problem in the hobby and the industry. If they can't act responsibly, go find somewhere else to work.
    When you say "sell it knowingly", I think you're misinterpreting the law. It doesn't mean "sell it to someone who you think will give it to a minor" (like alcohol), it means specifically selling it directly to a person underage. Their legal responsibility begins and ends at checking the id of the person handing over the cash.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Gambit1977 5 Dec 2012 13:06:14 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can this thread get back on track?
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:08:13 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    TVoJ wrote:I'm not saying this never happens but in general that's horse shit. Shops normally don't sell games to kids but parents buy them regardless of the warnings being offered. That comes from first hand experience. Selling games to a kid by proxy? Get a grip will you. It's this simple. If someone is old enough to buy then you gotta sell regardless of whether you think they'll let the kids play it or not. If you kept refusing adults then you'd soon lose your job.
    If the kid is right there when the parent buys it, it's pretty obviuos what's happening. Especially when the parents says something like 'is this the game you meant?'

It's about time people grew the fuck up and accepted some responsibility for raising their kids.
    I really don't think you're getting it.

By taking the decision away from the parent and handing it to the state, you are actively stripping someone of their very ability to take responsibility. It is not the state's job, nor should it be, to actively interfere in all the minutae of how parents raise their kids beyond the basic human needs for food, shelter and protection from abuse.

• L_Franko Moderator 5 Dec 2012 13:08:50 9,694 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Agreed.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:09:11 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I hope so, this would all be better off in a dedicated age restriction thread, of which there are many. It's hardly unexplored territory when discussing gaming.

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:09:51 05-12-2012

• Gambit1977 5 Dec 2012 13:11:06 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been enjoying reading everyone's own experiences in this game. It's full of so many fun moments. But now, every time there's a new post it's about age and certification.

It's a valid conversation, it just needs to go in its own little home.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:11:17 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    I thought I was going to hate the radio towers but they're actually quite addictive.
    Same. There's a strong Assassin's Creed vibe in the whole scale-them, see a brief clip of the surrounding area, map gets filled in, take the fast route down thing.

• FuzzyDuck 5 Dec 2012 13:18:20 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe

I dunno, when I use it I find its range a bit too limiting to be useful. I was hoping for something more akin to what it looks like we'll get in crysis 3.

I was hoping it to be a bit more of a sniping tool, more along the lines of a crossbow.

/shrug
    You can use it at range for as a sniping tool. Buy the um (can't think of the name for it) sight for it that has a height gradient, learn to shoot arrows from range by compensating for gravity.

Easily the most satisfying kill in game :D
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:21:45 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Also, and more importantly, are the maps you can buy wortth it? What items/loot do they show?

How do you find relics? By exploration, or do they show up on your map if you get close like the diamonds used to let you know via the GPS in FC2?
    On the whole, relic locations seem to be unlocked by broadcast towers. Maps might give you their specific location earlier, but the way to get there can often be through hidden underground tunnels half a mile from that point - after unlocking the broadcast tower, you get a thing showing you specific nearby points of interest. These are often things like cave entrances and stuff that will lead you to a relic elsewhere.

Memory cards, so far, are exclusively found after taking over an enemy camp in the safe room - but not in every single one (34 camps, only 20 cards).

Lost letters are similar to relics, only there are fewer of them and always seem to be around ww2 bunkers, gun emplacements, etc.

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 13:24:19 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Recurve Bow 4 Lyfe

/shrug
    You can use it at range for as a sniping tool. Buy the um (can't think of the name for it) sight for it that has a height gradient, learn to shoot arrows from range by compensating for gravity.

Easily the most satisfying kill in game :D
    Ive seen that sight on vids, but the only two I seem to have access to are a dot sight which is next to useless and something similar which isnt much better. Unless there is another one that gets unlocked somehow? Is there a signature bow or just the one in the special category?

• Jibraeel 5 Dec 2012 13:34:29 90 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have only played the story mode a couple of hours and already had a croc attack. Was taken completely by surpise and the first time I have ever literally jumped to that extent while playing a game.

Edited by Jibraeel at 14:04:28 05-12-2012
  • Page

of 79 First / Last