Far Cry 3 Page 36

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 15:46:33 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neems wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I find that now I've unlocked a lot more of the weapons and have built up most of my skills, I'm going in guns blazing far more than before, where I chose to take the sneaky route.

I'm also finding that the bonus XP given from things like chaining kills and multikills more than outweighs the bonuses for non-detection.

Anyone else finding their playstyle changing like this as it goes on?

A good chain kill is incredibly satisfying, that's for sure - works well with the auto loot for takedown skill as well. Stabbing three guys in a row, while simultaneously picking their pockets? Thank you very much.
    Definitely! Saves so much time robbing corpses as well.

I think I managed to chain 5 so far (on the level where you board the boat), but I can normally get two or three as a preemptive strike on a base before whipping out the shotgun and grenade launcher.

I started using the special shotgun variant almost exclusively at one point, before the sheer number of molotov enemies started causing me to erupt into flame every five seconds.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 4 Dec 2012 15:56:32 5,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He's spend the last 10 pages whining about the game. He's fucking dull. We get it, he doesn't like it. Go play something else, nobody wants to read the some fucker complaining for seven days on end.
    This seems to be the way of EG, just look at the Borderlands 2 thread.

The last 15 or so pages of that thread consist mostly of posts such as "WAAAAHH the loot system in this game is awful! I've played for 300 hours and only got 4 orange weapons!"
    Yeah, but that's primarily one guy...
  • repairmanjack 4 Dec 2012 16:02:14 5,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The two bonus dlc missions suck, frankly. I've no idea why they bothered.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 16:03:34 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    The two bonus dlc missions suck, frankly. I've no idea why they bothered.
    Par for the course for most DLC, frankly. Especially preorder guff and retailer exclusives.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• graysonavich 4 Dec 2012 16:06:05 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Guru3d review up for the master race;

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,1.html
  • X201 4 Dec 2012 16:10:23 15,229 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any mention of an appearance on Steam in the UK for this?
    Ubi are bloody stupid for blocking it

Edited by X201 at 16:10:42 04-12-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Dec 2012 16:50:09 5,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He's spend the last 10 pages whining about the game. He's fucking dull. We get it, he doesn't like it. Go play something else, nobody wants to read the some fucker complaining for seven days on end.
    For me, the way he and ghostwhistler endlessly moan about the same games and then back each other up makes me think there are shenanigans afoot.
    Christ if that's true there are some empty lives right there.
    Oh fuck, the EG bandwagon is rolling on without me !

And some of you take any criticism of any game waaaaay too personally. So I don't like it, have posted my criticism of the things I don't like, whereas others have posted their enthusiasm of the game, and the bits they love.

Yet, it seems criticism is no longer valid. It seems it draws the ire of certain folk who descend into personal insults because it's easier and less hassle than actual discussion.

10 pages ? Over exaggeration ftw. Dull ? Nae really, just bored of dull games. Don't like bits of it, but I'll continue playing to see how it pans out. Don't want to read my thoughts ? Don't. Hit ignore if it pains your eyes so.

As for ghostwhistler, perhaps he's not as elaborate with his posting, but the only thing we have in common is the disappointment with the failure of the big winter games. Hitman and FC3 are unbelievably poor, nowhere near living up to the hype, a generic retread of mechanics and tropes that have been done before, and done with more conviction elsewhere. Lump in AC3 (which I did enjoy for the historical spin and naval antics) and they all suffer from awkward mechanics, intrusive UI, poor scripting/plots, and general bugs and a unpolished finish.

We're heading towards the end of a generation, shouldn't things be better than this ?

As for FC3, I've finished. And I'll await other people's opinions with much interest.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 17:45:42
    @oldschoolsoviet

Okay then, what games do you like?
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 17:48:53 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

Its not the fact that you criticise per se, I've come up with plenty of my own both in here, the hitman thread, and the wiiu one. It's more the unbalanced way in which they a presented (at least yours seem more considered than the other chap) and the one-note way in that almost everything seems to be a criticism.

IMO.

As for the "shouldnt things be better" thing, I just look at it as the inevitable byproduct of bloated development teams combined with endless marketing hype and ever-faster turnaround worsened by crunch.

Of course things could be better, but I dont see that as a failing of development so much as management and the increasingly corporate influence on the hobby as a whole.

Plus: nothing's perfect. There will always be flaws. The trick is to not fall for the hype, go in with low expectations, and balance the bad against the good :)

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:53:13 04-12-2012

• Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 17:49:56 27,612 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just think you're a dull cunt.

Hush you ponce

• SYS64738 4 Dec 2012 17:53:21 1,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just got this now, going through the options menu.

"Enable Facebook". Oh dear..

Unless that means I can skin my friends too? Intriguing...

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• bbvDJC 4 Dec 2012 18:09:23 1,710 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

What games do you like then?

There is only one game I've enjoyed more this year and that has been XCOM, the flaws you've listed for the game are over exaggerated.

Far Cry 3 is a good game, it is no where near "unbelievably bad"
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 18:16:52 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:

You can safely ignore that fb stuff, it isnt woven into the game just another way of bragging youve beaten someones score.

I did receive something saying i'd gotten a speed boost from someone on my xbl friends list, but no idea how or if at all that translates to actual gameplay, single or multi.

• B0rked_Gamer 4 Dec 2012 18:22:03 2,528 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do abilities and weapons unlock by doing the quest missions or by doing other shit like radio towers?
  • neems 4 Dec 2012 18:25:38 1,207 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Abilities are based on quest progress, weapons on unlocking radio towers.
  • B0rked_Gamer 4 Dec 2012 18:26:29 2,528 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might as well get on with the main quest then.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 18:27:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Skills unlock (i.e become available for purchase) through story missions. The weapons vary - you reach milestones in other things such as x amount of camps retaken, then they become available for free in your stash.

But everything you do gains you xp, which grants a skill point on a level up (and some things grant you a point just for doing them, normally story related)

• SYS64738 4 Dec 2012 18:54:20 1,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:

You can safely ignore that fb stuff, it isnt woven into the game just another way of bragging youve beaten someones score.

I did receive something saying i'd gotten a speed boost from someone on my xbl friends list, but no idea how or if at all that translates to actual gameplay, single or multi.
    Cheers, quit FB a few months ago so think Im safe!

Liking this so far, framerate is a bit borderline (PS3) but the game flows reasonably ok so far. Screen tearing is noticable but it doesn't bother me, am used to it from my PC gaming days with an average 'rig'.

Certainly a far cry (sorry!) from FC2 which I hated with a passion. Mind you haven't had any combat yet so fingers crossed!

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 18:58:41 9,583 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    who says FTW anymore?
  • B0rked_Gamer 4 Dec 2012 19:07:58 2,528 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTom
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 19:09:04 9,583 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He's allowed though, it was from a more innocent time.
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 19:11:10 9,583 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So it wasn't FTW then?
  • neilka 4 Dec 2012 19:50:39 15,831 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Patch 1.02:
    Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
    Fixed the "View Leaderboard" and "Start Trial" buttons in the World Map.
    Improved stability when quitting to desktop.
    Fixed issue with leaderboards.
    All yours for a mere 260MB.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 19:53:24 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
    In the ranks of unintentionally funny patch notes, that's pretty high up there in what has been a bumper year.

Doesn't beat the "fixed issue where players would fall to their death after being forcibly ejected from a taxi" fix from SW:TOR though.

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:54:55 04-12-2012

• monkehhh 4 Dec 2012 19:56:27 3,292 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Boiling Point and it's flying tigers and stuff were great - all these open world devs should get together and make the king of buggy open world games. And listen to some of our suggestions.

Edited by monkehhh at 19:56:40 04-12-2012
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 19:59:02 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Boiling Point and it's flying tigers and stuff were great - all these open world devs should get together and make the king of buggy open world games. And listen to some of our suggestions.
    They'd be missing a trick if they didn't call it "GOTY"

• 1Dgaf 4 Dec 2012 20:33:58 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, the menus are bad. And the constant ping of XP related nonsense and 'tutorials' which are just a paragraphs and button icons.

Would I like to know what an AK-47 is? No, not really. Who on earth doesn't know what an AK-47 is?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Page

of 79 First / Last