Baby monitors

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Lutz 22 Nov 2009 15:36:53 48,846 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone have any recommendations for Baby Monitors then? These are the last purchase we need to make. Doesn't need to be video; audio only.
  • FairgroundTown 22 Nov 2009 20:00:22 2,522 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We had a Philips one, but a quick look on Amazon says that they have changed so much in the past 7 years, that any similarity between what we had and what you can get is entirely coincidental.
  • nickthegun 22 Nov 2009 20:08:12 65,645 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We have an angel care montor with motion sensor. Cant recommend it enough.
  • Maturin 22 Nov 2009 20:09:11 3,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We have a digital BT branded one. Works a treat.

One nice feature is that if you turn the sound way down - so are just judging noise via the light show - if the unit things there's something you should be taking notice off it starts beeping.
  • FairgroundTown 22 Nov 2009 20:26:56 2,522 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A few months after Daniel was born, Mrs FT's parents came over from Spain, and they baby-sat one night, while we went to the pub. We got home, and they were watching TV with the sound on mute.

Why?

"Because we didn't want to wake the baby."

Why not just close the door?

"Because the baby monitor is still here."

/ Facepalm
  • Mike_Hunt 22 Nov 2009 20:35:12 23,524 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Digital, digital, digital... I can't stress that enough.

We got one with an Apnia alarm, but then Ethan was high risk. Still, if you think you're going to be a slightly worrying parent (what new parent isn't) they're a godsend. After setting that up there were no more "the baby's moving to much" and then "the baby's too still" issues.

[MH]
  • nick303 22 Nov 2009 20:46:25 1,525 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maturin wrote:

One nice feature is that if you turn the sound way down - so are just judging noise via the light show - if the unit things there's something you should be taking notice off it starts beeping.

We have this one too. Works well from any room in the house.
  • speedofthepuma 22 Nov 2009 20:49:30 13,366 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nick303 wrote:
    Maturin wrote:

We've got this one, we bought it after making the mistake of getting a non-digital one first. The digital BT one is far, far superior.
  • Dougs 22 Nov 2009 21:19:07 75,846 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BT making reliable hardware shocker?
  • Nasty 22 Nov 2009 23:17:31 4,767 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Child #1: Watched and listened to baby monitor religiously. Every whimper and shuffle was met with anxious looks and a trip upstairs.
    Child #2: Watched and listened to baby monitor and was mildly interested in snuffling and coughing noises and the occasional fart still raised a smile.
    Child #3: Turned sound down and watched lights occasionally until it produced nothing but static and was binned.
    Child #4: Eh...nope.

As a brand new parent, whatever you do, don't buy just a listening one. They are a complete nonsense and usually end up making you worry more than putting your mind at rest. As suggested, if you are going for one, get one that does as many tricks as possible to get a complete picture.
  • rutter 23 Nov 2009 08:24:00 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nick303 wrote:
    Maturin wrote:

We also have this one. Another recomendation. Although I broke off the belt clip trying to clip it onto my jeans pocket one night. We've never used the 'talk back to the monitor', or 'remote activation of lullabys' features! If you can get a cheaper digital model without these bells and whistles I'd go for that.

Ours does temp though and shows that on the handset which is handy.
  • Murbs 23 Nov 2009 09:02:10 23,310 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maturin wrote:

+1

The best thing is the sound is crystal clear so there's no annoying buzzing, just (hopefully) the sounds of a sleeping baby's breathing.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Nov 2009 09:03:56 18,465 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We have been using a Tomy audio only one (it is the 1 in the crunchy nut cornflake ad)
    Had it for 3 years (for daughter/son) works fine on the mains or with batteries.
  • Whatsfor 23 Nov 2009 11:00:00 2,187 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best monitor money can buy.

Your baby is fine!
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Nov 2009 11:00:39 18,465 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent ;)
  • DocX 23 Nov 2009 11:11:51 1,963 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Another vote for the BT digital monitor.
  • Juninho 23 Nov 2009 11:21:46 1,825 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We got a Tomy one (premium something or other) and it is crap. Loads of interference and turns itself off from time to time.

We don't even bother with it now, just turn the tv down a bit.
  • Blaketown 23 Nov 2009 11:44:57 5,655 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. We never bothered with one.

We can hear him no problem when he wants to be heard.
  • Maturin 23 Nov 2009 11:45:11 3,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We do use the intercom feature quite a bit, not to talk to baby Will, but to have silly conversations with each other when one of us is in Will's room.

Edit: Although I had a monitor (can't remember the brand) when the twins were born (nearly three years ago) - I didn't use it much. At the time I lived in a small flat and the problem wasn't hearing the twins at all, it was hearing them so much. :)
  • DocX 23 Nov 2009 11:48:56 1,963 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The intercom scared the shit out of our son, we never used it after traumatising him the first time. Disembodied voice ftl!
  • Murbs 23 Nov 2009 12:07:54 23,310 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The BT one also has a line in for connecting an MP3 player. I assume that should be an MP3 player filled with nursery rhymes or a lullaby, and not Iron Maiden.
  • Maturin 23 Nov 2009 12:13:05 3,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh I don't know, my toddler twins know who Eddie is and do like a bit of a mosh. :)
  • DaM 23 Nov 2009 12:17:16 14,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DocX wrote:
    The intercom scared the shit out of our son, we never used it after traumatising him the first time. Disembodied voice ftl!

This totally!
    Sounds like a good idea, but just freaks them out!
  • speedofthepuma 23 Nov 2009 20:24:32 13,366 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We use the intercom* all the time; night time lullabye and reassurance (rarely).

*magic phone.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 20:30:43
    Lutz I *think* I still have mine somewhere if you want them dude - unless the ex decided to half-inch them - I will have a look in daylight and let you know, they worked perfect - seem to recall about 50 from Mothercare - no use to me if I can find them in the loft dude
  • Lutz 23 Nov 2009 22:14:59 48,846 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/ Thanks Snakehips.

Yeah, gonna go digital anyway, but I've not heard anything decent about BT until you lot... which has put me in two minds now! :( Still, more info is better, thanks all.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.