Fondest gaming memories? Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• DUFFMAN5 18 Nov 2009 17:24:20 15,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Getting the coin-ops on my Commodore 64, 720, space harrier, outrun, akari warriors ect. I lived right by Southsea seafront which had loads of arcades,so to leave them and go home and be able to "paly arcade" games was most excellent.

Dad bought me a full size Defender machine, which was brilliant.

Playing Res Evil on the playstation, My first game (console) after many years of not playing or owning a games machine/PC

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• pistol 18 Nov 2009 17:24:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably Doom on the office network.
  • boo 18 Nov 2009 17:24:42 11,943 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sitting watching the Tekken 2 trailer that came on some magazine cover disc.

Finishing all 96 levels on SMW after a marathon session with a mate, playing the game in shifts.

Opening a 16k Spectrum on Christmas morning.

Seeing Halo for the first time.

Animal Crossing on the cube - the first time Mrs Boo actually 'got' videogames.

The whole of Zelda - Link's Awakening on a B&W Gameboy.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Densil 18 Nov 2009 17:27:56 322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MOH Frontilne on the PS2, the first fps I ever played, took me months for some reason. Still give it an annual blast these days for old times sake. Get through the lot in about a day now.
  • kinky_mong 18 Nov 2009 17:34:15 10,868 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Christmas of Goldeneye without a doubt. So many delights topped off by seeing my dad completely confused as to how the controls worked.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• ShogunAssassin 18 Nov 2009 17:34:55 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Playing Commander Keen on a black and white monitor with my dad when I was about 4 years old.

Playing Super Mario Bros. 3 at my cousinīs. Still my favorite game to this day.

Playing the first Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation. I remember being amazed at the water effects back then.

Playing GTA III for the first time. God, that was amazing...

etc...

Mario Galaxy might join this list in the future, but I donīt know if it came out too late for me to get nostalgic about it...
  • Quint2020 18 Nov 2009 17:37:50 3,484 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably Mario Kart 64 with 3 mates going blind staring at a fourth of a 16" portable telly.
  • famous_roy 18 Nov 2009 17:53:19 4,102 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice thread :D

Reading a multi page article on Donkey Kong Country in Official Nintendo Mag, getting hyped up to my eyes, and then discharging for a week solid after receiving it for Xmas.

Good call on SMB3, played two player with my sis non-stop for essentially years. Using raccoon suit for the first time, mind blowing!

Metroid Prime - Phenendra Drifts, everything I love about gaming encapsulated in one incredible location.

Playing Ocarina of Time in the living room on a frosty Xmas morn. Pure bliss, unrivaled for me, exploring Kokori woods and then the Great Deku tree, nothing else like it.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• famous_roy 18 Nov 2009 17:58:05 4,102 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Note all my previous examples are Nintendo centric. Guess the warm, fuzzy fond memories lie with them!

Non Ninty examples would include...

- FFVII realizing the Midgar isn't the entire gameworld and there is a whole planet to explore.

- Playing Ps1 Demo 1 disc that came with the console. Wipeout 2097, Tekken 2, Die Hard Trilogy, was practically as good as getting a whole game!

- Local Halo Blood Gulch CTF sat on a couch with 3 mates, still one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had... (also applies to Goldeneye).

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Deleted user 18 November 2009 18:06:30
    Endless weekends on the first civilisation, that game was miles aheaf of its time. It totally blew me away and made me a "real" (pc) gamer instead of a nintendo freak.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2009 18:08:56
    FFVII - Beating the Ruby Weapon
    FFVIII - Beating the Omega Weapon
    FFIX - Beating Ozma

There's nothing more satisfying in gaming than beating the piss out of a secret boss.
  • roz123 19 Nov 2009 02:21:36 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are plenty but playing battles on super mario kart springs to mind. Great times
  • dsmx 19 Nov 2009 02:25:36 7,733 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing 4 player PES4 at uni till 4am most nights on my ps2. Now that was epic fun.

When I shot down a jet in mid air with a unguided rocket that was strafing me with cannon fire in the POE mod for BF:V.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• ElNuevo9 19 Nov 2009 02:33:29 13,604 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Getting my Playstation - Playing FFVII, getting the gold chocobo.
    Getting my PS2 for Christmas in 2000, playing SSX non-stop.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 19 November 2009 03:00:28
    famous_roy wrote:

- FFVII realizing the Midgar isn't the entire gameworld and there is a whole planet to explore.
    This this absofuckinglutely this. Best moment in gaming, and very important in the grand scheme of things we call our hobby imo.
  • Simian 19 Nov 2009 03:06:44 600 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After-school Goldeneye multiplayer at my mate's house.

Would be absolutely crammed full of us, playing winner-stays-on, 4-player deathmatch, all the while munching on anything he had in the fridge whilst his mum was off shopping.

Fondest part of that would be when a certain friend of mine had grenades thrown at him, he would always look down at his non-existant FPS feet and stare at the object up to the point where it blew him up. Never ever learnt to run away :D

Other fond moments include; massive winner-stays-on sessions of Speedball, carting my TV and PS1 to my mate's house to play huge Red Alert Retaliation matches (at least an hour of just building up our forces. Definitely no nukes), getting FF7 on ones Christmas, which meant I just spent the whole day playing that and eating tons of xmas grub, and my first ever play through of the first two Monkey Islands (Dos).

• clockworkzombie 19 Nov 2009 03:47:29 379 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Worms on the PS1. We would arrive at a friends house asap after work Friday with beers, clothes and food, play with minimal sleep until 8:00pm Sunday night so we could go to work Monday.

Frequent trips to pub and takeaway deliveries too.
  • ecu 19 Nov 2009 03:51:10 77,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:

Absolutely this. That was completely jaw dropping to me, the Midgar section was bigger than most full games I'd played previously. At that point I didn't have the internet, and wasn't saturated with every bit of media from a new game, so I had no idea what was coming after Midgar, it was a total surprise.
  • Lexx87 19 Nov 2009 03:53:55 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Max Payne - Blowing the speaker in the lift playing terrible music with Max saying "Thank you"

Max Payne 2 - Late Goodbye playing as the credits rolled up

Actually. Every second of both Max Payne games (apart from the horrible dream part)

Speak the truth hussy!

• Fizzog 19 Nov 2009 04:35:01 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting Gateshead FC from The Conference North to the Championship on Football Manager, that included 3 promotions in a row.

• Bloodloss 19 Nov 2009 06:18:32 4,499 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playing WoW for the first time, exploring the world and being a newbie - the first time I entered a battleground I could feel my heart pumping... to actually care this much about a game, even if pretty sad in a way, is amazing and something that just doesn't happen now. Also, moving through enemy territory to get a rare lion as a pet for my first character. It's something that means nothing to more experienced players, you just walk in, maybe get killed a few times but res without even thinking about it. At the time though, I cared about dying for some reason and took hours to get to the lion, trying my best to stay 'undercover' despite the fact the other players could probably see me but just didn't care enough to attack. Being a newbie is great.

Playing Goldeneye with a bunch of friends.

Playing Pokemon Red/Blue amongst friends and battling/trading, hearing about 'missingnos' and how to access 'glitch city' and other such shenanigans.

• Zidargh 20 Nov 2009 09:51:24 1,692 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago

famous_roy wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. People still debate this but I feel FFVII was truly a marvel of story telling integrated with gameplay. The action just before this was so climactic that I thought the scene by the wall was the end.

Then to find out that it was just the beginning. 0_0!!!!!!!!

I don't quite understand why I didn't think about the multiple discs but my god, although this is just a game, it was an important part of my 9 year old childhood. I'd pay alot of money for this type of experience again in an instant. But I doubt that'll come again. *Sigh*
  • Darren 20 Nov 2009 10:50:52 9,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd be here all day if I had to list my fondest gaming memories in detail but if I had to pick just one then it would be the Commodore 64 and Amiga years because those two machines are what got me hooked on games (and programming) in the first place.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• MrWonderstuff 20 Nov 2009 10:57:12 1,970 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A few stand out as milestones in my gaming life. Plenty of others but these are my top 3.

Ultima Underworld II - my first experience of a fully 3d environment.
    Asheron's Call - Starting out it Rithwic and realising I could see other people and talk to them
    GTA IV - Sitting in the back of a cab going through the city
  • andywilkie35 20 Nov 2009 10:58:01 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:

What an unbelievable shout! As a young boy of 14(ish), FFVII was the first JRPG I'd ever played so I had no idea how long they were - after winning the battle on the bridge I assumed I'd completed it, then suddenly I'm on a huge map - I don't think I've been so overwhelmed by a game since, I couldn't believe it.

Also as Zidargh said, I'm not entirely sure why I thought that was the end of the game when it had two more discs in the box!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• TheSaint 20 Nov 2009 10:58:38 14,833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The breach sections in MW2 have reminded me what awesome games Max Payne and it's sequel were.
  • Tomo 20 Nov 2009 10:58:53 13,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hearing the Amstrad CPC 464 come to life.

Playing a Sensible Soccer/Cannon Fodder hybrid demo with a grenade for a football.

Gulching on Halo 1 local. Played this again last night in fact. It is so good.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark local multiplayer. So many evenings of this.

Dying on spikes in Prince of Persia.

First playing Doom and getting shit scared.

The first time I played Resident Evil 1 and got to the first zombie and getting shit scared.

Many, many hours spent playing 4-player Mario Kart Double Dash, one session in which my friend punched his chair in frustration and somehow didn't break it.

First joining a clan online in Quake 2. It was called ANM and was in UKCCL division 3c I think. I thought it was like passing an interview or something getting into that. This is probably my fondest memory ever.
  • Page1 20 Nov 2009 11:02:32 2,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loading / Playing Dizzy on my Amstrad cpc 464 with green monitor.
  • andywilkie35 20 Nov 2009 11:02:58 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark local multiplayer. So many evenings of this.

Many, many hours spent playing 4-player Mario Kart Double Dash, one session in which my friend punched his chair in frustration and somehow didn't break it.

This thread is awesome, these two in particular are further highlights for me.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Page

of 6 First / Last