Fondest gaming memories? Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Clive_Dunn 22 Nov 2009 21:04:51 4,782 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Freespace 2 - feeling all invincible with your fleet and AI mates. "Dive, dive, dive". Ok, we are fucked.

The nuclear explosion in MW1.

Sweeping bridges with a Galaxy in the Planetside beta.

Laughing at Carrots implausibly ugly monsters in Chromehounds.

RvR in DAOC. Sat behind mountains waiting for stupid Mids / Hibs to get seperated from the zerg and then sweeping in behind them.

• Widge Moderator 22 Nov 2009 21:45:17 13,700 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Played it (FFVII) recently on the PSP through the PSN store and it is even better than before. I now understand the story a lot more and the fact that all the characters and charm are as impressive as ever means it really wasn't a case of rose tinted spectacles. This really is the best game ever made. Definitely go for it!

Excellent. I cannot wait to start it again.

I can't wait to go through FFVIII again (without the fear of crashodom on the PSP). Once you come from FFVII, you really appreciate the up in storytelling and writing. Consistency of graphics, the works. I love FFVIII (bar my OCD with drawing 100 of everything I come across), I think it has some of the greatest set pieces and storytelling moments of the series. I look at that, then look at FFXII which had no moments like that. I can't namecheck any special and awesome moments from FFXII bar being let out and roaming for the first time.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Zidargh 23 Nov 2009 09:26:19 1,678 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I can't wait to go through FFVIII again (without the fear of crashodom on the PSP). Once you come from FFVII, you really appreciate the up in storytelling and writing. Consistency of graphics, the works. I love FFVIII (bar my OCD with drawing 100 of everything I come across), I think it has some of the greatest set pieces and storytelling moments of the series. I look at that, then look at FFXII which had no moments like that. I can't namecheck any special and awesome moments from FFXII bar being let out and roaming for the first time.

That is because Final Fantasy XII, in storyline terms, fell flat.

The classically-politically charged plot fits well into titles such as Tactics, but I always considered the Tactics series a spin-off anyway, as much as I loved the original.
  • JuanKerr 23 Nov 2009 09:30:46 36,324 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eight player Daytona USA at the Trocadero in London. Brilliant.
  • bigshot316 23 Nov 2009 09:43:37 24,069 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completing Double Dragon twice in a row with a friend
    Completing The Simpsons arcade game
    NEVER completing Shinobi!

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• MetalDog 23 Nov 2009 10:01:50 23,739 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, man - endless moments =)

Seeing Galaxian for the first time - proper colour, enemies that came down at you in flight formations OMG!

Blowing my first ever paycheck in a London Arcade - car washer, 25 quid, lots of that game with the mounted machineguns I can't recall the name of.

Coming back from the loo to discover the title music to Nemesis the Warlock had progressed from a sort of dirge to a kicking tune the like of which I'd never heard coming out of my Spectrum.

Laughing so hard at the acting in Space Pirates when you free the people from the force field that I couldn't aim well enough to keep from being gunned down.

Playing Doom in the dark with the headphones on, eyes like dinnerplates.

Meeting Shodan for the first time and discovering what a horrible cocksucker Diego was, leading to a vengeful rampage.

Discovering the marines weren't there to save us after all - Half Life.

The whole idea of going into the Cathederal making me argue fruitlessly with the monitor 'Come on, Garret, it's not worth it! There must be a noble we can rob instead!' - Thief: Dark Project

Discovering that my disc swapping laziness in The Pandora Directive had cost an innocent man his life.

Lying flat out in front of the telly with a new Gamecube, a copy of Eternal Darkness and the whole Christmas holiday before me.

Actually, I could probably keep going all day pulling gleeful moments out of memory concerning videogames.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• andywilkie35 23 Nov 2009 10:09:54 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't remember if I mentioned this one actually but Christmas 1999 when I received LMA Manager and Dino Crisis and played them all day, alternating them for a couple of hours each - still my favourite Christmas!

Followed closely by the year after with Dino Crisis 2 and my little brother got Spyro 3, causing me to dominate Dino Crisis 2 so I could go back and play through the Spyro games (which were fucking unbelievable (predictably for Insomniac Games of course))

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Roos-V 23 Nov 2009 10:22:21 453 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The "fourth wall" breaking in both MGS1 and MGS2.

The port switching when fighting Psycho Mantis, him reading your "memory" (card). He made my newly purchased dual shock pad move when I put it on the floor! The CD case for the codec frequency. I absolutely loved it and genuinely thought it was the cleverest thing I'd ever see in games (I was only about 14 at the time)

Then MGS 2, with it's "fission mailed" screen and the Colonel completely fucking up as you got closer to completing it.

There are countless others, but those are the 1st to spring to mind.
  • kalel 23 Nov 2009 10:25:03 88,451 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was 1989. I was desperately trying to get Target Renegade to load on my Spectrum (which it only did about 1 in 5 attempts) when my mate Neil rang the doorbell. In his hands was a black binbag, and in that black binbag was a brand new Japanese Sega Megadrive with a copy of Golden Axe.

Just so you can understand the impact of this moment, this was before the internet and even multiformat games mags, so I literally had no idea that this thing even existed, let alone what games would look like on it. It was pretty much brand new in Japan, and the leap from my Speccy to that thing was absolutely immense.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was literally the best thing I had ever seen, and to this day the ‘Press Start’ screen of Golden Axe gives me a shiver.

• Deleted user 23 November 2009 10:32:10
    Oh, I guess I should add sitting in a caravan on holiday. It was raining outside but I was all snug indoors with my brand new ZX81. I had the manual and spent the weekend learning about this amazing thing called a computer and typing in my first ever program which just so happened to be a Space Invaders clone. It was a crappy version, but it was MY crappy version. That was 28 years ago....
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Nov 2009 10:36:06 38,708 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seeing Time Traveler in an arcade in Blackpool. I went WOW at the 3D holographic display, then almost cried at the totally non-existant gameplay...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• brainbird 23 Nov 2009 10:59:35 2,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This thread is full of gold.

Racing around the Coconut Mall in Mario Kart Wii and being blocked by some computer controlled character parking his car just before the final corner. And then seeing the driver is the Mii of a friend we created the Christmas before to play Wii Sports.

Having my friend in the game blocking my path and grinning at me was a very special moment.

Obviously the new hardware can create impressive graphics and sounds. But every now and then, moments like I had with Mario Kart Wii give you this feeling of discovery you remember from 8-bit-times childhood memories when there were worlds to explore.
  • Hantheman 23 Nov 2009 12:45:27 540 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Risking felucca in UO before insurance. Adrenaline rush fever.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 13:00:51
    All of Prince of Persia, the first Xbox one.

Also, storming the beach at the beginning of The Silent Cartographer. I'd been enjoying the game anyway, but that level felt immersive and full of what felt like emergent gameplay technique and tactics, working with the troops to pick off the Covenant and push inland. Playing it again and again on different difficulties changed the approach you needed to take and the whole level felt very cohesive and engaging, based as it was on that small island on this new alien ringworld we'd landed on. Loved it.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 13:05:17
    kalel wrote:
    It was 1989. I was desperately trying to get Target Renegade to load on my Spectrum (which it only did about 1 in 5 attempts) when my mate Neil rang the doorbell. In his hands was a black binbag, and in that black binbag was a brand new Japanese Sega Megadrive with a copy of Golden Axe.

Just so you can understand the impact of this moment, this was before the internet and even multiformat games mags, so I literally had no idea that this thing even existed, let alone what games would look like on it. It was pretty much brand new in Japan, and the leap from my Speccy to that thing was absolutely immense.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was literally the best thing I had ever seen, and to this day the ‘Press Start’ screen of Golden Axe gives me a shiver.

That is a good story. Fuck, the leap from Speccy to Megadrive, that must have been intense.

Hang on a minute though - Master System had been out for ages at that point - I don't recall the time period clearly but was there no way of having even an inkling that Sega were about to release their follow up to the Master System? It's going back a bit and I was just getting into gaming myself properly, but I'm sure even I knew about the Mega Drive and all we had in our house was a BBC Master until I secretly spent all my savings on a Gameboy.
  • Merlinho 23 Nov 2009 13:10:06 5,909 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool thread, in chronological order:

Playing some crappy football management game on my Acorn Electron and winning the league.

Learning how to do all the death moves on Mortal Kombat.

Playing Sonic 2 and discovering that a second player could control Tails. And on the same note, playing World of Illusion with my cousin.

Playing sessions of SWOS with my mate, and single player career sessions into the small hours (no 1 memory: the goal I scored from the half way line during school lunch hour with everyone watching :))

Regularly playing Championship Manager until 3am on a school night, just to finish the season. I could write a list of nostalgia just from this, but top 3 are getting Northern to the WC SFs, signing Ronaldo (fatty) for Cardiff City & discovering the legend that was Jose Maria Sand in the Argentinian leagues.

Seeing the T-Rex for the first time on Tomb Raider on the PC, felt like it was a gaming revolution at the time, and I papped myself.

Uni gaming sessions of Marvel vs Capcom 2, drinking WWE Smackdown Royal Rumbles where you drank everytime you were chucked out, and drinking Bishi Bashi Special.

Scoring some cracking goals in PES sessions with friends, while always attempting to score one as good as Feanor's videos, and failing.

Playing WoW beta for the first time when I got an internship at Blizz (my first MMOG experience), wandering around the snow in Dun Morogh, loving the music, the atmosphere, just incredible.

No games on my PS3 have given me feelings anywhere near the above, but 100%ing My Name is Jonas while playing some bloke online on GHIII was pretty fun.
  • Zomoniac 23 Nov 2009 13:13:16 7,855 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    (Disclaimer: I'm shit at games, please don't laugh)

Getting the survive 250k without dying achievement on Geometry Wars. At my old house, before I had to downscale, I had the most awesomest gaming room ever. Was playing GW:RE, with a previous best high score of something pathetic like 130k. Noticed in the corner of my eye I was on 220k and shit just kept spawning everywhere, in a pitch black room, with a 96" screen and a massive surround rig. It's hard to describe what exactly my heart was doing as I kept coming within 2 pixels of dying as the score slowly crept up, but it was the most amazing feeling of exhiliration I've ever had. It was certainly the closest I've come to an out-of-body experience, I felt like my brain had left my head and turned into a pulsing array of lights and bass.

I miss my projector. TVs are shit.
  • Gartt 23 Nov 2009 13:17:19 1,782 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Booting up Mario 64 for the first time and thinking, this is the future! It felt like such a leap, I remember spending hours just stretching Marios face on the start screen and running around the castle grounds. Oh and the satisfaction of finally reaching Yoshi on the top of the castle, ive still got my 120 star save on my cart. :D

Slapping chickens to make them explode in Dungeon Keeper, still makes me smile just thinking about it.

Having the game of your life on Counter Strike and getting called a cheat by everyone on the other team is always immensely satisfying.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 13:51:09
    Ultima Online - the great house collapse of 1999. Oh man that was fun.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 13:53:56
    Hantheman wrote:

Fucking right.
  • Ace_McCloud 23 Nov 2009 14:14:48 1,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Completely random and critically/geekily panned game (I imagine) but:

At uni, after completing movie tie-in LotR:Return of the King on Xbox/PS2 (can't remember) in 2 player co-op, you'd get these two bonus levels. One was Saruman's bonus level. Once you did that it was Sauron's bonus level.

Each was 20 waves of bad guys. Me and my mate would play. Go and have lunch. Discuss tactics, come back and play some more.

After that game, I knew modes like Horde and Firefight would work and be all sorts of awesome. Unfortunately it took the industry a generation to catch up. Well done EA! :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    At uni: MK:DD. We had a league with proposterous levels of detail - down to who had the most blue shell dodges. Happy memories that all blur into each other: control pads being taken outside and smashed on the concrete, cheap IKEA sofas being punched to bits...

But one of my favourites was when my housemate's girlfriend had a massive row with him for sneaking out of bed to come and play MK in the middle of the night with us. During the row she stormed out and knew that the way to hurt him the most would be to tear the Mario Kart league up into tiny bits.

I came down in the morning to find that he had lovingly sellotaped it all back together and put it back on the wall.

/nostalgic sigh
  • cianchristopher 23 Nov 2009 14:23:29 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was Ace McCloud one of the Centurions?

If so, great name!
  • rutter 23 Nov 2009 15:17:22 1,919 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

This is pretty much mine too. Except my Bro' and I were playing our C64 and it was my Bro's best mate with the megadrive. I couldn't believe my eyes - that you could get graphics that amazing outside of an Arcade. The mate later went on to become editor of Edge.

I got my parents to order me a Japanese MD the following week (with a copy of strider) and sold the C64 while they were still popular.

Second memory is SF2 on the SNES. Brother's same mate had it first again. I then ordered a US import copy from somewhere in Jersey. £74 it cost me! And people moan about the price of games nowadays. When that finally arrived it was the best day ever!
  • Hantheman 23 Nov 2009 15:19:50 540 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheBoyChris wrote:
    Hantheman wrote:

Fucking right.

That rush when you saw a red character, do I fight do I talk? Can I afford my Indestructible plate helm, and my gold katana!?
  • Ace_McCloud 23 Nov 2009 15:31:26 1,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Was Ace McCloud one of the Centurions?

If so, great name!

Yes. Thank you. I now like you a lot.
  • SG 23 Nov 2009 16:25:07 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

That is a good story. Fuck, the leap from Speccy to Megadrive, that must have been intense.

Hang on a minute though - Master System had been out for ages at that point - I don't recall the time period clearly but was there no way of having even an inkling that Sega were about to release their follow up to the Master System? It's going back a bit and I was just getting into gaming myself properly, but I'm sure even I knew about the Mega Drive and all we had in our house was a BBC Master until I secretly spent all my savings on a Gameboy.
    The Master System and Mega Drive had a somewhat strange relationship in that they existed for a lot of the same time, and there were dual releases like the Sonic games for both systems.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• dunts 23 Nov 2009 17:12:59 4,211 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    International Superstar Soccer - SNES

I think it was around 1995 and i was in primary school. We we going for P.E (some random shitty gym sports) and a bunch of us were waiting for our teacher. I was leaning against this set of thick wooden door when she returned, as she did so she closed the door with a fair bit of force. I then only for a split second felt this daunting feeling of anticipation as my hand fell into the gap created by the hinges. As it closed it crushed my pinky (lol), lots of blood. It wasn't that funny at the time but it could of been alot worse.

This left me off school for a few days and my loving grandfather bought me ISS. I loved that game, me and my friends would play it religiously. We would sometimes when playing head to head, turn the TV off at kick off and see who could score. Good times.

This love of ISS led to many years of fun with ISS deluxe and then PES.

Playstation 1 + PES + Multi-tap = Endless fun.
  • MrE26 23 Nov 2009 17:32:52 1,960 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Similar to Kalel's, getting a shiny new Megadrive to replace my aging Speccy. Spent that Xmas morning playing Golden Axe & Revenge of Shinobi, convinced that videogaming couldn't get any better.

Waiting in all day for my SNES with MarioWorld & Castlevania IV to be delivered, & playing what are still 2 of my favourite games ever.

My first play of Link to the Past. It was my first ever Zelda game & i remember it was in the middle of a massive thunderstorm, which somehow made that opening section even more awesome.

SNES SFII, cost me 65 quid & after saving for fucking months, i finally got it & was absolutely shit at it. Played it solidly for months, learning combos & working my way up to 8* difficulty. Good times.

Super MarioKart multiplayer sessions, one of the funniest games ever to play with a group of mates.

More recently, my first ever Xbox Live co-op game, Halo 3. Me & my mate had a fucking brilliant laugh playing through it for the first time.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2009 17:39:08
    Pretty much all of Tomb Raider 2, Flower girl dying in FFVII, psycho mantis moving my controller in MGS, Making my first track & video in Music (ps1), Pretty much all of my first playthrou of ICO :)

Theres been plently of great games since then (playing throu crackdown online with an ex, playing halo3 4player co-op, first time exiting the shelter in Fallout 3) but I think it takes a certain amount of time before they become proper memories.

Edit: Oh & my first battleship in Eve online (hardly anyone had even seen one at the time)

Edit2: Oh & mass effect :)
  • ubermarc 23 Nov 2009 19:36:58 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yeah definitely mgs (the whole game but mantis boss stands out by far, it was so clever even for now i guess), the original sonic game when i was very young was my first memory and gaming and i played that to death. Recently though uncharted's story and the way the characters draw you in is certainly something unforgettable.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last