Fondest gaming memories?

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • SG 18 Nov 2009 16:15:43 1,896 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    By no means 'best', just things that nostalgically bring a smile to your face.

For me I think that Zelda ALttP - I loved exploring this whole word full of secrets and people that I could talk to and mini quests and whatnot. I remember dark winter evenings with the curtains closed, the curtains closed and playing Donkey Kong Country with the amazing graphics and atmospheric music, adventuring through the jungle, then it started to rain and it’d go from day to night, butterflies flapping past and the sounds from the jungle. I love all 3 DKC games and I do think that they got progressively better with each one but the original just had something so enchanting about it.

Majora’s Mask was another one, I think because it was so haunting and deep, the word really drew you in.

I remember ProfessorLesser talking about Super Metroid in a similar vein yonks back – really wish I’d been aware of that game back in the day but was oblivious in entirety.

With all the pressures of the adult world it seems like I can never really truly lose myself from the real world into a game, without worrying about work or a bill or something.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• Deleted user 18 November 2009 16:24:55
    Post deleted
  • RedSparrows 18 Nov 2009 16:25:28 22,586 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    levelling in WoW. Raiding MC -> AQ40 in WoW. All with the same people.

• Deleted user 18 November 2009 16:25:36
    Heheh, that suggestion was meant in jest but just looked WELL wrong.

Instead I'll say endless Planetside drops.
  • heyyo 18 Nov 2009 16:26:15 14,373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing my first train make £1m in Transport Tycoon.
  • RedSparrows 18 Nov 2009 16:26:59 22,586 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:

haha, good one.

Oil?
  • HarryPalmer 18 Nov 2009 16:27:13 3,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All of Broken Sword. My favourite game everer.
  • Whizzo 18 Nov 2009 16:28:45 43,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Many, many hours of playing City of Heroes with a bunch of EGers, discovering new things, laughing at people's really bad costume choices, having odd people join us when we needed to pad out a team with randoms.

This space left intentionally blank.

• cianchristopher 18 Nov 2009 16:31:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have fond memories of staying home from school (pretending I was sick) and playing Super Metroid! Amazing!

I got Aladdin (on the SNES) for Christmas in '93 - finished it in time for Christmas dinner! Couldn't believe how short it was, but I loved it all the same!

I loved that bit in Goldeneye when you break in through the ceiling of the bathroom in the 2nd mission and you can shoot the guard as he uses the toilet!

Also, getting 95 levels done in Super Mario World (did you have to do it all in one sitting to get the 96? or was that some bullshit my cousin told me?).... Wow, I just don't get that much value out of games anymore!

I loved A Link To The Past far more than I ever loved Ocarina of Time (maybe it was my age - about 11 for the 1st one and 16 for the other?)....
  • Deleted user 18 November 2009 16:34:31
    Hmmm... probably playing Doom for the first time and jumping out my skin when the imp jumped me in the dark corridors at the start. It was a pretty revolutionary game and led to countless hours of deathmatch.

Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, Lords of Midnight, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Demise, a drunken LOTRO raid on the Rift, Monkey Island, Populous, Syndicate, Speedball 2, Wave Race...etc... all fond memories

[edit] Oh and Goldeneye ;) [/edit]
  • andywilkie35 18 Nov 2009 16:35:06 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trying to find every summon/complete every sidequest in Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on the Playstation. The Chocobo hunt on FF9 took me 60 hours but I absolutely loved it! I just can't get involved in games as much as I did back then, wish I could

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Dirtbox 18 Nov 2009 16:36:34 78,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HLDM at work 5pm

"Chachi. Get the server"

Good times, great lads. Miss em.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• billythekid 18 Nov 2009 16:36:55 11,128 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being allowed to bring the console/computer downstairs to play games on the big telly.
  • heyyo 18 Nov 2009 16:37:32 14,373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:

haha, good one.

Oil?

Wood :p
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Nov 2009 16:38:27 25,811 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even though I grew to dislike it, I think my fondest memory was my first team instance in WoW.

Did it with a bunch of random drunken Scandinavians and sat there, drinking rum, talking rubbish with them and slowly working our way through Dead Mines. Took bloody hours due to drunken deaths and the amusing stupidity we were enjoying.

Was my first real experience of online gaming and it was excellent.
  • sport 18 Nov 2009 16:38:58 12,710 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SG wrote:
    By no means 'best', just things that nostalgically bring a smile to your face.

Switching my megadrive on for the first time and hearing "SSEEEGGAAAA".

:')
  • Whizzo 18 Nov 2009 16:40:19 43,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure how I forgot but the original Operation Flashpoint MP action was probably the best gaming I've ever done, some of use were playing that almost every night for months. Damn fine gaming.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 18 November 2009 16:41:26
    I think the one thing that would actually make me smile nostalgia wise would be the music from Monkey Island. I had a lot of laughs with that, even when being frustrated. Just like StarchildHypoallergenic, I've enjoyed the drunken nights on MMORPG instances :)
  • thedaveeyres 18 Nov 2009 16:42:16 11,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sam Fox Strip Poker.

...and Dancing Monster.

Not necessarily in that order.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Razz 18 Nov 2009 16:45:41 61,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:

haha, good one.

Oil?

Wood :p
    o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• yegon 18 Nov 2009 16:48:52 5,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kind of a general gaming memory really, but buying an HK N64 for an INSANE! price from an import shop in Dukinfield sticks out in my memory. Bought Wave Race, Mario, Pilotwings and an extra controller, all of which was unceremoniously dumped in a bin bag for me to carry.

I've had practically every console prior and since then, but nothing has come even remotely close to the magic, the wow factor and amazement I experienced that day. Aside from a few standouts like OoT, Goldeneye, PD, Blast Corps and Paper Mario, the N64 never really lived up to those launch titles. The reverse of the 360/PS3 in that regard I suppose.
  • Physically_Insane 18 Nov 2009 16:48:54 8,833 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Every game I played on the N64.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2009 16:58:40
    The first time I played half-life, I was just amazed with how good it was.
  • Metalfish 18 Nov 2009 17:00:04 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fondant Gammon Mammaries?
  • Ged42 18 Nov 2009 17:05:03 7,728 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Playing a Thomas the Tank Engine version of Repton on the BBC Micro that my brother made for me with an editor program he had.
  • el_pollo_diablo 18 Nov 2009 17:08:09 2,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Being told that plugging a mouse into the joystick port of the Amiga 500 makes Party Games 2 much easier.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2009 17:08:52
    playing rtype on the spectrum obsessively for a whole weekend....
  • danathjo 18 Nov 2009 17:15:33 7,370 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    finishing the original Duke Nukem side scroller beating that guy in the flying wheelchair, was so proud of myslf as i'd never finished a game before :D aahh memories

also finding out that my new gf (5 years later now my fiance :) was a mini gamer and playing through FFX together, one with guide and the other with controller
  • yegon 18 Nov 2009 17:18:37 5,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Completing Smurfs on the Speccy - the first game I ever finished.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous