Modern Warfare 2 - Plot thread with spoilers Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• mingster 17 Nov 2009 12:45:45 3,307 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thank god for this thread.
    I Thought it was just me being thick that i couldn't piece together what had happened from one act to the next.
    It felt like crucial plot scenes had been cut out and forgotten about.
    The story is a complete mess.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 12:50:48
    I must be the only one who understood the plot without having to scrawl it on crayon and assemble it together.

/shrugs
  • Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 12:57:06 43,370 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You understood a plot that makes no sense?

This space left intentionally blank.

• superted1974 17 Nov 2009 12:58:01 214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mingster

Having started the thread I amwas relieved that most posts so far are similar to yours (and not Gremmi the plot expert!)
  • BabyJesus 17 Nov 2009 13:00:43 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

He transcends all of us, he is the confuscius of our times.
  • asphaltcowboy 17 Nov 2009 13:02:53 5,143 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I generally understood what was going on. The problem for me was the clunky timeline and the lack of character development prior to the airport sequence (which came far too early in the game imo) and then the motivations of the cast that suddenly went to crazy town as a result - Russia invading the US because they think some Americans shot up an airport? Hmmm!
  • speed182 17 Nov 2009 13:04:08 942 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone hear Price get an Xfire message at the end?

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 13:04:09 43,370 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd also like to know how the blast wave of the nuke can hit the ISS and an astronaut given they must have been over the Caribbean to have the view of the nuke going off like they did.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Metalfish 17 Nov 2009 13:06:27 8,874 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The nuke will have irradiated the astronaut, but he'd have to be right next to the thing for it to destroy the station like that I'd have thought.
  • LFMartins 17 Nov 2009 13:13:15 5,704 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did anyone watched the part 1 of the Gametrailers - Beyond Call Of Duty show? The IW guys said the plot was the last thing they did.
    First they decided what places in the world would make for good levels and then they made a story that would connect all those places together. There was no way in hell that the plot would be decent with a plan like that.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 13:22:43
    Whizzo wrote:

I agree that it was a stupid plot, but I followed it through from start to finish without having to take notes or wonder why X happened. It's a ridiculous, over-the-top plot but it's not as difficult to follow as some are making it out to be.
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2009 13:26:50 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's with the gallery at the end? Is it something else that someone at IW added because 'it's cool', or is there something more to it? Is there anyone at IW who doesn't come up with an idea for which the basis is 'it's cool'? Does anyone there ever say 'that doesn't make sense' to the people who walk around saying 'it's cool'? I swear the plot writer did Halo 3 too.
  • smoothpete 17 Nov 2009 13:28:46 31,838 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    I'd also like to know how the blast wave of the nuke can hit the ISS and an astronaut given they must have been over the Caribbean to have the view of the nuke going off like they did.
    Particularly as in space there is nothing to transfer the force of the the blast. Although I might be wrong
  • catterz 17 Nov 2009 13:29:53 8,763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Dude, we can't put that in the game, it just makes no sense"

"But look, [pointing to scribble on a screwed up piece of paper], the explosion is bigger than Mars"

"hmm, I suppose that is cool"

"Yea dude. *BRRRKUUUUH* *DUKA-DUKA-DUKA* *NNNNYYYYOOOOWWW*"

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Nov 2009 13:29:54 39,803 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    What's with the gallery at the end? Is it something else that someone at IW added because 'it's cool', or is there something more to it? Is that anyone at IW who doesn't come up with an idea for which the basis is 'it's cool'? Does anyone there ever say 'that doesn't make sense' to the people who walk around saying 'it's cool'? I swear the plot writer did Halo 3 too.
    You've not found the button then?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• BabyJesus 17 Nov 2009 13:30:19 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    What's with the gallery at the end? Is it something else that someone at IW added because 'it's cool', or is there something more to it? Is that anyone at IW who doesn't come up with an idea for which the basis is 'it's cool'? Does anyone there ever say 'that doesn't make sense' to the people who walk around saying 'it's cool'? I swear the plot writer did Halo 3 too.
    Pretty much summed up my opinion of it right there.
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2009 13:32:35 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Particularly as in space there is nothing to transfer the force of the the blast. Although I might be wrong
    It's the 'it's cool' effect, which overides all physical laws. I'm surprised the astronaut didn't fall onto a helicopter in time to shoot some tanks.
  • jellyhead 17 Nov 2009 13:40:32 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The game isn't balanced for plot.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 17 November 2009 13:44:05
    I hear the PC version had no dedicated plot writers.
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2009 13:45:05 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, it definitely isn't. Rushing from objective to objective doesn't help if you're struggling to keep up, like I was. I like it all the same though.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 13:48:19
    All I've done so far in the museum is shoot everyone and everything.
  • smoothpete 17 Nov 2009 13:48:47 31,838 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I don't really give a shit to be honest, as long as I can cap some ruskies
  • Big-Swiss 17 Nov 2009 13:49:16 8,249 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got lucky, I started not to care about the plot!
    Reality points: +100
    in real life the soldiers don't know what they are fighting for either...........
  • sickpuppysoftware 17 Nov 2009 13:51:06 1,354 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Hey guys I've built a cool space station model"
    "But it's a near future semi-realistic shooter"
    "But I spent hours making it and I am the boss's son"
    "#sigh# Oh go on then"
    "I'm going to make an African village next"
    "What!"

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Bremenacht 17 Nov 2009 13:51:46 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    ?
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 13:54:27
    Bremenacht wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    ?

Go into the museum and press the alarm on the desk.
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Nov 2009 14:25:09 16,632 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I estimate that the Nuke is between 8000 and 10000 miles from the ISS in that scene. The only thing that would happen to the astronaut in the immediacy is that he'd be blinded, even with his gold infused visor.

Next, the computers on the ISS and possibly the controls on his life support would fail. But still be operable. Same with the ISS. There is the threat of being hit by the shrapnel from hundreds of obliterated sattelites. But most of that would be sent on orbits that either plunge into the atmosphere or great eccentric orbits that cross the ISS's path, possibly never.

The main thing to worry about keeping the ISS functional long enough for rescue. Life support should function without computer aid, keep warm however is a different matter but as long as the battery and solar cell circutry isn't fried even jerry-rigging the heating wont be a problem. Houston didn't appear to get hit by the EMP so a rescue shuttle could get sent up at the next window.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Darren 17 Nov 2009 14:40:01 9,081 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LFMartins wrote:
    Did anyone watched the part 1 of the Gametrailers - Beyond Call Of Duty show? The IW guys said the plot was the last thing they did.
    First they decided what places in the world would make for good levels and then they made a story that would connect all those places together. There was no way in hell that the plot would be decent with a plan like that.

That's exactly how the producers of the James Bond movies approach the story; scout some great locations then build the plot around them! Knowing what you've just told me, LFMartins, just backs up my "unconnected set-piece" comment for MW2 earlier in this thread.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• beastmaster 17 Nov 2009 14:43:11 12,014 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What is it with the White House at the moment? I'm just watching 24 series 7 and

the baddies get into the White House and start shooting things up

Must be the in thing to do at the moment.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 4 First / Last