Modern Warfare 2 - Plot thread with spoilers

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • superted1974 17 Nov 2009 11:34:17 204 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can anyone help me?

I posted elsewhere (sales thread) agreeing that the plot to MW2 was poor.

Having now completed the game (on easy - shame on me) I have to say the plot got worse and worse.

Can anyone explain to me what it was all about.

Particulary the whole Shepperd thing!
  • thelzdking 17 Nov 2009 11:40:09 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was pretty preposterous and poorly written, but I wouldn't say it was outright poor, just lacklustre. The early missions (especially 'No Russian') don't sit well with the stupidly OTT action later on, but I suppose it keeps the game rolling along nicely enough though.
  • sickpuppysoftware 17 Nov 2009 11:41:53 1,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which team member got shot by Sheppard? I thought it was ghost but if he may be getting a spin off game I assume it wasn't him.

After the way it finished I'm scared the next one in the series will be a lot more US-centric which can only be a bad thing.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Metalfish 17 Nov 2009 11:44:37 8,791 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, both ghost and Roach ended up assuming the "Hitler position".
  • superted1974 17 Nov 2009 11:47:21 204 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But was Makarov and Sheppard on the same side?

If not what "bad things" was Sheppard behind and what bad things was Makarov behind?
  • Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 11:50:16 43,038 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The plot boiled down to the basics:

Shepherd is a big fucking cry baby because a load of US troops got nuked by Russian ultra-nationalists and America didn't retaliate by blowing Russia into tiny fragments he provokes a war between the two nations which ends up with the much of the East coast on fire.

It makes about as much sense as someone who stubs their toe on their wardrobe burning down their house.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Paperghost 17 Nov 2009 11:56:21 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spoilers galore:

1. game starts as generic american guy who later dies at the hands of makarov.

2. after impressing shepard, head of "task force 141" which is an excuse to Americanise the SAS members (remember, you're HIS team now!) he signs you up for an undercover job with the CIA, as part of task force 141. despite you being a random grunt, you're going to dress up as a russian and attempt to get into makarovs evil terrorist cell of doom.

cut to...

3. Soap and you (Roach) on a mission (that's not really explained very well) to pick up some sort of top secret device - I think - that the russians somehow later use to disable all of americas radar type equipment which allows them to invade america undetected.

even though you recovered the device. you do recover it, don't you? (that thing you grab while Soap is doing....something....to that large engine thing down below).

4. Airport time, and you go in with makarov to kill some russians at the airport.

at the end you die because makarov has been told you're american, by none other than....sheperd!

the reason: is that he saw "30,000 of my boys die in Genericastan - and nobody cared".

That's right, he was so saddened that all those soldiers died in the nuke explosion that he decided to trigger a full scale invasion of America resulting in hundreds of thousands of dead civilians and soldiers so "next time" they'd be taken "seriously".

plot makes even less sense from here on in, but stick with it.

5) you somehow work out that some guy in brazil made the bullets that were involved in the airport massacre despite all the bullets being located in russia, with the russians.

you then go to brazil to get info out of him, despite simply pointing to internationally well known terrorist makarov in the CCTV footage being the better plan to avoid an american invasion. oh well.

you grab him, and....uh....don't know.

6) lots of cool shit blows up in america minus any civilians at all, including being told you're going to go rescue them at the end of one level and then arriving to find....no civilians. no rescue. simply isn't mentioned again, more russians to kill. hooray!

7) you rescue loads of people from an oil rig - i think to distract people in the gulag, although it doesn't seem to work because there are absolutely shitloads of people in the gulag shooting at you anyway.

you rescue price, which makes no sense given that the last time you saw him he was being given heart massage by the good guy russians. did the good guy russians rather obviously decide to betray price and that's how he ended up in jail?

who knows, never mentioned or addressed.

8) more shit blows up in america.

9) price decides to cripple the russians tech by launching an EMP at america. he is not being a bad guy here, he's saving the day.

10) some more shit blows up, a guy says oorah a lot. whatever, whitehouse saved, the end.

11) ghost and roach are betrayed by the evil string pulling sheperd, game over man.

12) price and soap go all out to nail the general, they do, the whole horrible mess comes to an end. sort of.

i think.
  • Metalfish 17 Nov 2009 11:58:35 8,791 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makarov isn't directly on Shepard's side, but it isn't in Shepard's interests to take him down, possibly feeding him information for his own ends. Shepard ends up more or less under control of the entire military might of the USA as a result, his plan only failing because Price and Soap are stubbornly unkillable.
  • LetsGo 17 Nov 2009 11:59:52 5,175 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another thread?

Why not use the MW2 one but use spoiler tags.
  • BabyJesus 17 Nov 2009 12:00:15 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The plot was too mixed up even for me to understand. Other than, this guy is your friend oh wait no he's not, throw a knife in his EYE!

Twin Peaks made more sense.
  • Spanky 17 Nov 2009 12:01:36 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    Twin Peaks made more sense.
    Twin Peaks makes perfect sense you spaz!

Plubs

• Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 12:04:22 43,038 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Twin Peaks had Audrey Horne therefore Twin Peaks > Modern Warfare 2 and it still made more sense.

Maybe Shepherd was Bob?! That would explain everything.

/drinks damn fine coffee

• superted1974 17 Nov 2009 12:04:30 204 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks paperghost (and metalfish)

I think your 12 point guide raises a million questions but it would be unfair to ask them since (as you already point out) the plot makes no sense.

I just can't see how they can spend this much time and effort on the game and not put a decent plot together. There are enough troubles in the world to come up with a thousand ways to get people fighting all over the world.
  • superted1974 17 Nov 2009 12:06:00 204 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Letsgo

When the other thread is 190+ pages long and is all about multiplayer I thought this was a fair topic.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 12:06:51
    Go to the COD wikia .
  • MrMojoPin 17 Nov 2009 12:08:29 18 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I see the whole game like a Seagal or Van Damme movie, the plot is pretty much irrelevant, just enjoy the action.
  • BabyJesus 17 Nov 2009 12:14:27 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well it would be nice to have a coherent plot for those of us who like atleast a decent story in games.

If they can get Zimmerman for the music surely they can hire a decent writer.
  • Paperghost 17 Nov 2009 12:16:25 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrMojoPin wrote:
    I see the whole game like a Seagal or Van Damme movie, the plot is pretty much irrelevant, just enjoy the action.

i actually really enjoyed the story from the first game - despite a few OTT bits (the nuke launch countdown, the frankly unsurvivable car chase near the end etc) it all had just enough about it to have a feeling of realness about it. there's the badguy, here are the good guys, bit of backstory to price and the one armed guy, satisfying conclusion with a real feeling of loss if you invested in the (very likeable) main characters.

this? this was a mess. that people have to refer to wikis to get a full understanding of a "plot" for a FPS like MW2 is rather depressing. not even sure what direction the story can go in now, they've shattered any illusion of "possible real world stealthy ops that may or may not take place" with the whole invasion thing.

If they STAY THE HELL AWAY from the stupid american campaign stuff and just focus on price and soap trying to clear their name as fugitives it could work, but they really needed sheperd alive in the third one to be able to go down that road.

all they can do now is hunt down makarov while being chased by half the planets armed forces.

even THAT isn't clear, as it seems like price makes one final transmission in a cutscene that suggests he's telling the CIA (or whoever) listening in that he's off to pop sheperd and bring him to justice - but who knows? that cutscene made about as much sense as any of the others :(
  • smoothpete 17 Nov 2009 12:20:15 31,361 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I disliked that Price had seemingly turned to poetry in his darkest hour.
  • Darren 17 Nov 2009 12:22:13 8,710 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just think of MW2 as being a Michael Bay movie where action takes precedent over trivialities like plot or character development. No-one plays the CoD games for their plot anyway and you might play as three different soliders but you wouldn't know it if it wasn't for the subtitles that start every mission!

I do agree though that MW2's is very muddled compared with earlier games. It's also extremely far-fetched but then the earlier games had WWII to draw on so that kept it rooted in reality for the most part.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• krushing 17 Nov 2009 12:24:03 777 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe getting Zimmerman ate up the budget :D

Then again, when has Bruckheimer bothered with "decent writers"?
  • smoothpete 17 Nov 2009 12:24:08 31,361 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weird really because the plot is total arse, but yet I care more about the characters (well, the remaining ones) than I have in any other game
  • Darren 17 Nov 2009 12:33:07 8,710 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What characters?!?

I couldn't say that I cared for anyone in MW2 myself least of all the soldiers you played as since characterisation was poor to non-existent. There was no empathy at all like there was for, say, The Darkness or Condemned, both first person games that managed to tell a story far better and make you feel for the character's plight.

I felt totally detached from the events of MW2, they left me cold to be honest, and never once felt involved in what was going around me; only that I had to plough through to the next checkpoint and so on to finish the level. The game would have been just the same IMO if it'd been a string of unconnected setpieces stripped of a plot because, really, that's what the game pretty much was.

It's a bog-standard first-person shooter campaign with the emphasis on spectacular action set-pieces over everything else. Like I said earlier, it's a Michael Bay movie: big, dumb and loud.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• sickpuppysoftware 17 Nov 2009 12:39:04 1,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The biggest crime is that they ruined Price's magnificent 'tache.

• Metalfish 17 Nov 2009 12:40:29 8,791 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Those bastards! They shaved it off! Damn you all to hell!
  • Paperghost 17 Nov 2009 12:40:48 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:

you rescue it in part 3.
  • sickpuppysoftware 17 Nov 2009 12:42:53 1,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paperghost wrote:
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:

you rescue it in part 3.
    Now we're talking a plot I can get involved with.

PUT THE RAZOR DOWN MAKAROV YOU PLUM!

• Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 12:43:03 43,038 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    50 thousand* hairs used to live there.

*may not be accurate

• MyAfroAndMe 17 Nov 2009 12:43:22 610 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The plot is gibberish.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous