Warning about Ebuyer

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • George-Roper 11 Aug 2004 09:50:59 708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey fellas

If any of you are planning on using Ebuyer, trust me, don't.

Half my order showed up, after I took the day off work, and the rest has yet to be confirmed as shipped. They only have a premium rate number, which is never answered. No email and a shitty Enotes system on their site for which i've yet to get confirmation of them receiving, let alone get an answer to.

From what I hear, if you have any faults with the hardware, it's even worse, with people waiting weeks and weeks for refunds or RMA returns.

So, again, even though they're fairly cheap, the customer service is completely non-existent and if you plan to take a day off for delivery (their first delivery must be to the billing address) be prepared to be twiddling your thumbs...
  • pjmaybe 11 Aug 2004 09:54:16 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Welcome to the forum.

A colleague here has had similar problems with 'em. And should you be lucky enough to find their customer support number, expect a pretty harsh reception...

Peej
  • lost_soul 11 Aug 2004 09:55:21 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've ordered with ebuyer before and they managed to mess up that time as well. Doubt I'll bother using them again. Another company to avoid are Scan.

Aria and novatech have always been pretty good for me in the past.
  • martyngates 11 Aug 2004 09:59:45 1,752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    personally ive found them to be quite good,

had a router get fried in a lightning strike and they replaced it under warranty in under a week

the only problem ive had is when returning and item for a refund them sent a replacement of said item to me, but were apologetic and provided pickup at my convenience and their expense

i admit its not the speediest service but when you look at the number on the rma requests they must get innundated with them on a daily basis

at the end of the day you get what you pay for, ive spend well of £2,000 in the last year on bits and pieces and saved over £500 on what it would cost elsewhere and am happy to wait up to a week if i have a problem
  • Rankin 11 Aug 2004 10:00:47 2,930 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How's Mildred? ;-)
  • semprini 11 Aug 2004 10:14:02 3,144 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought the new bits for my PC off Ebuyer.
    I paid the extra £4 to get next day delivery, and it all arrived at about 10am. Everything was good, apart from one SATA cable that snapped the first time i tried to connect it (must have been damaged i think). I left one of them 'Enotes' explaining, and didn;t hear back from them for 4 days. So, at that point, I left a crappy review on their product page, saying the board was fine but the Ebuyer service was awful.

A replacement cable had arrived that day, but I didn't find it until I got home, and the feedback had been left :)

Still, they never responded to my Enote to say it was being looked at, or a replacement was being sent. Stupid system really.
  • ruttyboy 11 Aug 2004 10:22:18 7,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had problems in the past but then they are dirt cheap. The number I ring is 0845 2268138 which I think is a cheaper number than the one they give you on the site.
  • jimmyjimbob 11 Aug 2004 10:28:12 313 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never had a problem with Ebuyer, but lots of people do, that's for sure!! Not a big fan of their enotes system, seems to go ignored for ages. As long as they aren't too much more expensive, I'd recommend http://www.komplett.co.uk as the service is supposed to be tip top
  • DevilsKebab 11 Aug 2004 12:35:25 655 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must be the luckiest man in this forum.
    I've never had any issues with EBuyer, Scan OR DVD Box Office....ever!
    But I believe it's the risk you take with cheap online sales sites, you know their sales service is going to be crap. For me, I'm happy to take the chance. Especially as EBuyer delivers to my office address.
  • Shivoa 11 Aug 2004 13:32:12 5,677 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EBuyer is a bit of a chance but no more than most of the low price online stores who cut costs with basically no customer support and unlike others *cough* scan/m *cough* they don't give great prices only until you notice the £10 'internet handling fee' added onto your order at checkout. I've been lucky with EBuyer and all my orders have been complete and correct but I do get the impression that if they aren't then it'd often be more hastle than it's worth trying to sort it out.

As far as previous encounters that have made you spit at the mention of online retailers here's a tale: I ordered a GFX card from Scan and when it arrived I signed the package 'unopened' as always and after taking the box out I noticed a strange rattle. Once opened the box revealed that the GPU heatsink was loose and hand been bouncing round the box. When Scan were informed of this they offered to send me some thermal paste so I could stick it back on. I may be holding people to too high a standard but WTF? I can stick it back on? A lump of metal had been bouncing round the inside of the box banging into the circuit board of the card doing unknown damage and I was told to just stick it back together. This wasn't a budget card and so I aksed for a replacement. 2 months later and several phone calls they basically told me the damage wasn't their fault and must have occured in shipping and so they weren't going to replace it.

I've had many friends with similar stories of defective or missing orders and the great lengths Scan go to to avoid doing a simple RMA. This was alll years ago but I still don't trust Scan even if the order was no more than some thumbscrews.

On a more positive note I often use Komplett, Tekheads, and Micro Direct without incident (although in MD's case that may be more Ebuyer luck than a great online company as I don't really know about their reputation or have ever used their RMA facilities. I think they have some bricks and mortar stores)
  • silentbob 11 Aug 2004 13:42:40 29,025 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is all very odd.

I've bought countless things from eBuyer and returned things twice. They are consistently fast and cheap.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• unwashed 11 Aug 2004 13:56:11 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Micro Direct were officially verboetten at my last work place. They're expensive and shite, and their idea of customer service is to call you thick...

I had ordered a bluetooth dongle off them,as they were the only people that had them in stock. Their web-site said that as it was my first order, I had to get it delivered to home, but this was fine as it also said delivey was via Royal Mail.

For some unknown reason they decided to send it via courier. I rang the courier to see if I could get it sent to work, and they said they needed a faxed permission from Micro Direct. I rang Micro Direct, and was basically told I was a thick knacker for not putting in my Work address. I pointed out it hadn't let me do that, and could I have my money back, for calling me a thick knacker. Luckily the person also gave me their name, so I e-mailed the MD with the sorry story. Unsurprisingly I never heard anything more about it.

So, Micro Direct... Don't do it!!!

Aria however are excellent.
  • eviltobz  11 Aug 2004 16:53:15 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    i'm having major problems with an order from ebuyer at the moment, although its more to do with citylink than ebuyer, but both are a bunch of useless fuckwads when it comes to sorting the issues out. about £200 worth od shiny pc kit has been mislaid by citylink, and they are both being utter shites at getting me refunded/reshipped/whatever.

twatting bastards.
  • st3ph3n 11 Aug 2004 16:56:52 2,833 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TBH, most PC bits resellers will fuck up now and again. Everyone has ones they swear buy that others hate, and ones they hate that others swear buy.

I can't think of one that I've not read a bad review about, maybe Kustom, but they're pretty small scale and also expensive.
  • Retroid Moderator 11 Aug 2004 21:10:31 45,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've used eBuyer lots of times and they're great... so long as the item you want is in stock because they're crap at gettings things back in stock. They'll just sit there on order.

Also returned a WiFi card I ordered but which didn't work on Mrs Retroid's HPC and they accept it no problem and gave me a full refund.
  • gizmo 13 Apr 2005 17:18:20 2,046 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why didn't I search the forums before dealing with this bunch of t*****s...

Use Komplett instead, I cannot emphasize this enough...

edit: No split... sorry guys - the pain was such it had to be done.

Edited by gizmo at 16:26:41 13-04-2005
  • ssuellid 13 Apr 2005 17:21:32 19,141 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gizmo, can you break up your noooo a bit?
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Apr 2005 17:29:11 12,295 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Komplett dont seem to sell case fans anymore :/

My experience = no problems with either. I've had 3 orders from eBuyer and about the same from Komplett.

That said, eBuyer package things rather weirdly (ie badly) so I wouldn't be surprised if people had problems with damaged goods.
    Komplett tend to be quicker as well.
  • Deleted user 13 April 2005 17:33:58
    Damn. I'm waiting for a 1GB card from them...
  • binky Moderator 13 Apr 2005 17:34:58 9,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I nearly spent £300 at ebuyer on a camera and card today. Then I managed to talk myself out of it.

All reviews of ebuyer seem a mix bag.
  • Khanivor 13 Apr 2005 17:37:00 41,120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a good run at ebuyer till they jerked me around with an order. But then, I've had problems with most etailers to one degree or another.

I think the biggest problem is the customer service. Those premium rate lines should be made illegal.
  • ChrisOTR 13 Apr 2005 17:39:56 803 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For what it's worth, when I had trouble with ebuyer, I took the standard approach for getting results.

I opened a trouble ticket thing on their website.

They fobbed me off and closed it.

Repeat x20.

Then they gave me a full refund.

:D

As long as they keep saying no, keep saying yes. You'll win if you persevere, as you'll be a headache they want rid of!

But that was only one time, every other time I've dealt with them I've had no trouble and it's been ridiculously cheap.
  • ekko 13 Apr 2005 17:52:49 904 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought and returned things to ebuyer numerous times, not had any trouble. Maybe I'm lucky.

Still prefer Komplett (although they never seem to have what I want...).
  • mal 13 Apr 2005 18:53:25 22,793 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh, was just about to order a CF card off Ebuyer.

Ooh, it seems to have disappeared off their UK site now. Very odd.

Damn, they were the only place I could get that card cheap.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• bainbrge 13 Apr 2005 20:21:02 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    no problems with ebuyer for me - is this forum turning into the watchdog one then?
  • Retroid Moderator 13 Apr 2005 20:29:14 45,270 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've made orders fine with them, so has Mrs Retroid & her family, all seperate orders.

All fine.

/Has a personal 'thing' against the arses at Dabs.com
  • bainbrge 13 Apr 2005 20:33:00 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Retroid wrote:

/Has a personal 'thing' against the arses at Dabs.com

why don't you bring that thing over here big boy...

• Nimmy 13 Apr 2005 21:02:45 220 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've bought a few things off Ebuyer, they do have some great offers- never had to return anything,

sooo.. are there any decent etailers- more personal order of preference - best to worst

Komplett
    Watford Electronics
    Aria
    Dabs
    Ebuyer
    Scan
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Overclockers - heard pretty bad things about them
  • StixxUK 23 Nov 2005 12:37:23 7,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RESURRECTION!

Waiting on an eBuyer order... Starting to get a bit scared reading through the threads...

That said, I've heard some bad things said about Overclockers UK here but I've used them loads and never had any problems.
  • StixxUK 23 Nov 2005 12:43:56 7,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, that's not always the case is it now?

Look at Play.com, sure they usually deliver a day after Gameplay or Amazon, but they're pretty damned reliable with it.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous