League of Legends Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Benno 26 Jul 2012 13:54:09 9,841 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I have only just started playing this (and MOBA games in general). I am having an absolute blast tbh. I am only lvl 7, and quite noobish, but I would love to join up and play some co-op games!

Any hints and tips for a newbie like me? I have been reading those DOTA articles on the front page and laughing as they have pretty much hit the nail on the head as to what it is like for a newbie on this type of game.
  • jakuande 26 Jul 2012 15:09:33 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love this game, it's one of the few I keep coming back to and has outlasted many a full price title. I'm only level 24 and have yet to play ranked matches so my advice isn't foolproof, but with that in mind here's a few more tips:

As hidden says, definitely buy wards! Its suprising how many people dont bother considering they can pretty much win the game for your team.

If you're feeling underpowered dont stick to saving up for the next item on your build list. Go splash out on a couple of doran's items for an early game boost, could make the difference between you winning and losing the lane and you'll enjoy the match more to boot.

Learn a few champs until you can confidently field at least one guy for each of the usual roles : solo top, solo mid, AD carry, support and jungler. This really helps if you play alot of solo queue since having the right team composition is really important and too many guys just race to lock in their favourite champ.
  • hypoBla5t 27 Jul 2012 18:58:35 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I tried to keep my distance from this one but it's pulling me in very strongly.

Decided I'm a 'keep it as simple as possible' kinda LoL player so with my first purchases I bought Warwick with IP and Nasus with the free RP you get and try bossing lanes. Might do a bit of jungling when I get to higher levels too.

Dunno if anyone here plays 2d fighters but it's remarkably similar to the kind of footsies you have to play. Made some real progress today, well chuffed.
  • Fatiguez 27 Jul 2012 19:32:57 8,715 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Warwick is a good purchase if you want to ease yourself into jungling, he's more or less the 'My First Jungler' champion. Nasus is kind of tough to get to grips with for a beginner player IMO, he has a really weak early game but one of the best lategames of any champion if you farm properly - the current meta favours strong early game dominance and snowballing, and Nasus is really easily zoned in the early levels by a majority of top laners (where he's usually played), so it's kind of jumping in at the deep end to play him as a beginner.

I'd recommend Jax if you like bruisers (which seems to be the case judging by your purchases so far). He's nice and cheap - same IP cost as Warwick and Nasus - and very much one of the stronger top lanes at the moment. He has few real counters, a very strong toolkit, and he's easy to learn but hard to master. His early game isn't phenomenal but it's better than Nasus, and once you have a couple of items he just snowballs like a motherfucker. It also tends to be the case that beginner players don't really know how to handle him, so you'll end up stomping your lane in a lot of cases until you get to higher levels.
  • hypoBla5t 28 Jul 2012 10:18:23 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the tips dood, started off with my lanewick, jungling seems to be too easy to be rubbish at at the moment. Following some guides which are easing me in nicely. Ww is much more of a finisher than Skarner who I was using for free. Lots to be learning!!
  • hypoBla5t 31 Jul 2012 19:30:46 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still learning with this one. If I go all-out I end up with something between 8-4 and 12-8, I've been trying to rein myself in a bit today and play more conservatively to lower my silly deaths and been coming out with 3-0, 4-2, that kind of thing.

I guess I need to find the middle, but which would you guys say is best - going all guns blazing and dying a lot or playing it safe and getting less kills but being able to farm more creeps?
  • Fatiguez 31 Jul 2012 19:54:38 8,715 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't underestimate farming, killing an extra 15 or so creeps gives you the same amount of gold as killing a champion. It also depends on who you're playing and who you're up against, though - some champions can be super aggressive and still get away relatively safely every time, while others are a free kill if the jungler comes to gank because they have no mobility. Conversely, some champions will thrive if you play too passively and let them farm without harassment (such as Singed or Nasus), so you need to get a feel for which matchups mean you should be aggressive, and which should just be a farmfest. It comes with experience, not something you can give a straight answer to (nor can one list how you should play with every single possible matchup because that would take forever).

Generally speaking it's almost never worth feeding your opponent in order to get extra kills. Focus on last-hitting minions, getting good at that is one of the most important gameplay skills you can hone while learning the game, because it's always relevant. Having more CS than your opponent in top lane often means you'll outscale them and be more useful in teamfights even if you're both 0-0 in champion kills.

If you're still playing lanewick a lot, he's got excellent sustain in lane with his self-healing as long as you're conservative with your mana use. On the whole, this means you should be farming your nuts off and lightly harassing your opponent knowing that they'll have to recall before you for the majority of matchups. Short trades should usually favour you because of your sustain as Warwick, but as I've said it's a matter of experience knowing when you should be cautious and when you should go balls deep. Keep at it and you'll start to pick up on these things.
  • hypoBla5t 31 Jul 2012 20:26:10 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers mate, well appreciating the advice.

I was kinda having that eureka moment today that I don't need to throw my life away to get ahead, noticed that even sometimes in 1v2 I could harass opponents and get them to naff off so I could get a bit of farming done. WW is pretty beefy in that respect and his self heals are boss. Even nipped into the jungle to pick up blue buff when I had a sec.

I'm glad to say that last hitting is actually something I'm not having too much trouble with, just a question of knowing your own strength I guess and being able to judge it well enough. I am finding that I'm scaling well and being able to terrorise late game.

Once again man, thanks for all the advice, kinda gearing up a bit for DOTA when it comes out but for an F2P game this is really excellent.
  • hypoBla5t 2 Aug 2012 16:35:15 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been working up through the bots and been doing ok on intermediate so I finally plucked up the courage to face some real humans

They were absolutely rubbish!! Couldn't believe it. Had a field day. Maybe it was a one-off? I don't consider myself to be good at games in general, nevermind this one, I can only conclude that it's because I'm SL9 - is that how it matches it up, by Summoner Level?

Was nice to have a bit of a confidence boost, such a rewarding game. Will start adding some of you guys soon now that I feel a bit more confident about my skills!!
  • Benno 2 Aug 2012 18:36:31 9,841 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Play with me and you will feel very confident about your skills :p
  • Fatiguez 2 Aug 2012 20:04:41 8,715 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought from the way you were writing you'd already plunged in and started playing against actual people! Yeah, they're pretty dire at the lower levels (often worse than the intermediate bots) - you're roughly matched up by summoner level at the beginning, but if you win a lot then the hidden matchmaking system will start to pit you against level 20+ players (who have the advantage of runes and masteries). When I first started playing, it was with a RL friend who had been playing for ages, so because he could just stomp every game while teaching me to play we ended up in games with full level 30, 300+ wins players. Not that being 30 is any indicator of skill, but it was something of a trial by fire for me.

Most of the new players won't have had any sort of introduction to the game's mechanics like you have, as the 'tutorial' in LoL is pretty terrible, and a lot of them jump in without playing a single bot game so it should be plain sailing for the first couple of games. Make sure you watch out for 'smurfs' though (high-level players levelling new accounts). Also don't bother buying runes until you're level 20 and can get the tier 3 ones, they're a waste of IP until then as you'll just end up replacing them. You don't really need them anyway, unless you want to jungle.

Also, most important bit of advice: LoL has a really, really shit community. Like bottom of the barrel for online games. Don't get too disheartened by it, it doesn't get any better as you climb levels so just get used to it and don't pay the inevitable tards any mind.
  • hypoBla5t 2 Aug 2012 20:50:26 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers man, chatting to people online it seems I'm matched by wins vs losses, so seeing as I have 3 wins and no losses I'll be right down at the bottom.

After reading that DOTA article I though I'd be getting slammed from the get-go, so as I was a bit scared I put plenty of practice in... Seems I was a bit over cautious but that's cool, nice to feel 'Godlike' for a few games at least.

Saving up hard for some good runes for when I hit 20 and luckily avoiding most of the shit from the idiots who think they know it all. Shame such a quality game has such a naff userbase sometimes, am trying to stick up for people who are taking flak... Summoners' Code innit? Haha.
  • hypoBla5t 3 Aug 2012 09:12:34 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool, got my brother's wedding this weekend but when I get back I'll start throwing out some invites.

Add europakind if you fancy some games.
  • Benno 3 Aug 2012 09:38:26 9,841 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    europakind didn't work :S

Add Benno Himself
  • hypoBla5t 3 Aug 2012 10:28:48 1,393 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah that's my username actually. Silly me.

Summoner name is JNGL. And before you ask, I fail at jungling and never do it!!
  • onestepfromlost 25 Aug 2012 23:22:37 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    started playing this again after ages not gragan is the username
  • m1lly 21 Nov 2012 15:06:45 14 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The season 3 changes are just around the corner!

Who else is looking forward to the changes?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last