So... anyone in a band?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 10:17:26 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I searched for a thread along these lines as I was sure there would be one detailing all the weird and wonderful bands that fellow EGer's were involved in, but to no avail. With all the wonderfully creative folk here on the EG forum I'd be highly suprised if nobody is in a band

As such i have decided to charitably take it upon myself to start this wonderful thread! So why not let us know if you're in a band, pimp your myspace or infrom us of any upcoming gigs etc. maybe you'll pique a few felow forumties interests' (matron!) and gain a few fans. I know i'd definitely be interested in any forum bands that might be out there.

Since I'm starting the thread I suppose I'll link my band's myspace ; our name is "Stop Working!" (not sure about it) we're pretty newly formed and our recordings are all live one mic/one take stuff so forgive the lack of sound quality. I'm singer and guitarist (not lead).

/not so stealth pimp my band post
  • Big-Swiss 12 Nov 2009 10:20:13 8,096 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    band of brothers!
  • dufftownallan 12 Nov 2009 10:38:31 4,725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nice thread.
    i auditioned to play bass for a band called black tiger moss last saturday, will find out next week if they want to take me on and then i'll be a-pimping them and myself out.
  • Rusty_M 12 Nov 2009 10:40:17 4,692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not exactly but am free to form one

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• bigshot316 12 Nov 2009 10:45:36 23,809 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me and Buztafen are in the begining stages of what could loosely be described as a 'band', we have a singer, lead, bassist, rythm and drummer but have only had 6 2 hour practices so far.

I did write the best song ever written by anybody ever, called the Ant n' Dec song (crazy bitch).
    It is awesome.

Still, we have to start somewhere.

Oh, Charming Fox is in a good band.

'I love my Sanyo but I don't love you!!'
  • iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2009 11:01:24 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to be about 10 years ago and it was great fun. We were a really good, tight 3-piece punk/rock band and we'd practice about 3 times a week round at a mate's house (I'm sure his neighbours loved us!) The problem was we only managed to play about four gigs, as live music venues were limited. The band kind of broke down when we got a fourth member - some distant relative of our bassist - as a front man who was a bit wank at the job and who then had a falling-out with the bassist over some gear that got nicked. After that we had a rehearsal with the three of us again but that was the last time we played together and it all just kind of crumbled. I've since sold my drumkit anyway, so it's not like we could reform...

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 11:08:52 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We've only played the one gig ourselves, but it really doesn't take all that much time to set up a new band and get the ball rolling if you focus.

We managed to strike it *extremely* lucky in that our bassist has helped a music producer (who produced a Lisa Stansfield album, no less :D) to set up a studio/rehearsal space and as a result we have free use of it. Going into record our EP proper tomorrow!
  • jonsaan 12 Nov 2009 11:13:22 25,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am. Of sorts. Released an album in 2003 then we all went a bit mental and didn't do much. Now working on new material.

Voila

FCUTA!

• Lexx87 12 Nov 2009 11:17:50 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I am. Of sorts. Released an album in 2003 then we all went a bit mental and didn't do much. Now working on new material.

Voila

Not half bad you know. The website is terrible though :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• jonsaan 12 Nov 2009 11:21:38 25,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D I blame our keyboard player. To be fair it's been in limbo for a fair old while.

FCUTA!

• mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 11:25:14 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah fair play, you seem to have had a fair bit of succes as well.
  • jonsaan 12 Nov 2009 11:29:11 25,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sort of. Depends on your measurement of success!

FCUTA!

• charming_fox 12 Nov 2009 11:34:45 683 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    as biggie says, my Band Jukebox Memory Loss can be found on facebook, hoping to get some studio time in January so the website can go live, got 9 finished original songs and more on the way. LOVE MUSIC x
  • mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 11:49:15 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    charming_fox wrote:
    as biggie says, my Band Jukebox Memory Loss can be found on facebook, hoping to get some studio time in January so the website can go live, got 9 finished original songs and more on the way. LOVE MUSIC x

Just had a quick look for you on myspace but got no results for "Jukebox Memory Loss" or any other similar names (unless you aere in fact Dave Patton from Texas?)
  • Zob 12 Nov 2009 12:01:50 140 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heya, I play in a band called Aphemia. We play some sort of hybrid of rock, metal and electronic stuff. Influences include NIN, a bit of Disturbed (without the excessive cheese) and even a bit of old EMF (!).

Aphemia Myspace

...if you're interested that is.
  • mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 12:02:47 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Sort of. Depends on your measurement of success!

Well judging by your site, you've recorded songs with well known producers and had songs featured on an MTV programme. I mean it's a shitload further than most joes will ever get!
  • tinocat 12 Nov 2009 12:03:38 62 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure if I'm in a band as such, though I do make 'music' - does this count? If so, you can listen to some of my tunes at TheSixtyOne. If not, you can ignore the link ;)
  • charming_fox 12 Nov 2009 13:08:53 683 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew, not on myspace yet, gotta get some proper recordings done first! FBs got some live bits on though
  • mikew1985 12 Nov 2009 13:15:30 12,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oops, just realised after looking at your post for the 10th time that it does in fact say facebook and not myspace. For some reason I just kept reading it as myspace!
  • FWB 12 Nov 2009 13:18:46 44,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was, but finished at the beginning of the year. Now very happy just writing bits and pieces here and there. Heard today that some stuff is going into some S.American films. Not seen them though and they could be cack.

Link is in my profile - though not all material is up there. There are also further links within that link to other stuff I've worked (am working on). It's all a bit of a mess at the moment.
  • Mekanik 12 Nov 2009 13:48:20 3,570 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been jamming with a couple of friends this last year or so, just getting our shit together now. I play bass, finally got a vocalist to add to the guitarist and drummer.

No websites or anything yet (prob wont either). We are all pretty experienced been-round-the-block musicians with varying degrees of success in former bands. It should be fun. I`ll post anything up web-wise if it becomes available.

If you are interested this is one of my older bands that actually had a bit of recognition (but no success) within the "industry". Theres some tunes there. God i`m getting old now........

Atom Flask
  • FWB 12 Nov 2009 13:49:26 44,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Major label interest.
  • andywilkie35 12 Nov 2009 13:56:15 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:

Voila

Is that a picture of you on the frontpage? :D

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• jonsaan 12 Nov 2009 13:57:27 25,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes. I'm afraid so.

FCUTA!

• andywilkie35 12 Nov 2009 13:58:53 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, cool

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Vroom 12 Nov 2009 14:07:22 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not in a band anymore but here's my good self playing guitar/bass and singing on this doozie

Its a song called Novacane I wrote while in a band a few years back :)

Vroom

• krushing 12 Nov 2009 14:22:47 777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaneuvosto - dub/reggae band, with a German sense of rhythm and a Finnish sense of melancholy.

http://www.salaneuvosto.com

Alaneuvosto - sort of a spinoff band of the former, which usually happens when one of the Salaneuvosto guys can't make it to a rehearsal. Post-kraut-ambient-new wave-drunken-punk-style, naturally.

http://www.salaneuvosto.com/alaneuvosto

Bad Day for Bossanova - music for imaginary film. This one's been going on about 12 years now, there's probably hundreds of hours of recorded material, and of course none of it's been released. Expect a 20-vinyl box around 2056 or so. The band - in it's various configurations - gets together once a year for a weekend or so, and then we play. The provided example is a bit boring, imo (obviously because I'm not on it). There's also a documentary in the making...whether we'll ever see any of that either remains to be, uh, seen.

http://www.myspace.com/baddayforbossanova

Hiilikaivostyöläinen (& Digi-isäntä) (don't even ask :D) - this is mine & Salaneuvosto bassist Jussi's "country" therapy project. Random drunken jams on piano/banjo/guitar.

http://hiilikaivos.bittihiisi.com

And the personal projects:

Krushing - my singer/songwriter/downtempo stuff goes under this moniker. Currently a temp site at

http://krushing.bittihiisi.com

KRUSHORD (yes, always in fucking CAPS) - the other side, timewarping, galaxy-destroying, star-devouring electro. Or breakbeat. Or techno. Or something else! Or not. Mostly what I do when I don't want to think what I'm doing.

http://www.krushord.com

Bittihiisi - another electronic project, mostly a bit slower and darker than the almighty KRUSHORD, though it's a bit unclear even to me how it's supposed to be different.

http://www.bittihiisi.com (which doesn't really contain anything)
    http://www.myspace.com/bittihiisi

Suoherra - ambient/soundscape noodlings with household objects, acoustic instruments and voice.

http://suoherra.bittihiisi.com

+ a bunch more bands/projects without a web presence. All equally unambitious :)
  • warlockuk 12 Nov 2009 14:42:24 19,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think there's a fair few of us in bands :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• tincanrocket 12 Nov 2009 14:47:00 3,007 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    I think there's a fair few of us in bands :D

Yup :) I used to be in a band, until the sad bastards kicked me out for daring to **get married** I would link to the site, but I don't want to :p
  • bigshot316 12 Nov 2009 14:49:19 23,809 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have recently had a setback.
    After 10 years playing guitar, i have suddenly developed a nickel allergy!!
    My fingers are falling off.
    I need to find an alternative, and have heard that Elixyr strings may help, so wish me luck!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous