Kick Ass Page 7

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• El_MUERkO 10 Apr 2010 13:26:51 16,949 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Myself and Daisy saw Kick-Ass earlier in the week, it is indeed good :)
  • rutter 10 Apr 2010 19:17:43 1,919 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We saw it on Thursday for my birthday. Really loved it. There's clearly a couple of bits in there for the shock factor but I can forgive it that. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • roz123 12 Apr 2010 02:11:47 7,112 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saw this today and it was very good, 9 out of 10. The casting was superb (its nice to see Nic Cage in a decent role for a change) and it hits all the right notes.

The daily mail review makes me feel a little sick inside, to bring up child murders and peadophilia is outragous and if it wasnt for the fact the mail has an agenda i would really worry about the reviewers mental health.
  • Ka-blamo 12 Apr 2010 02:46:57 7,287 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    you know that old saying, when you point a finger there are 3 pointing back

I think that is rather apt when concerning the daily fail reviewer...

IE he's a nonce ;)
  • roz123 12 Apr 2010 04:23:51 7,112 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

The daily mail reviewers personal website looks quite interesting as he responds to the droves of people calling him out on the review. I havent read it all but it looks golden just from a skim through:

"AFTERWORD: Unbelievably, some Kick-Ass fans have objected to the above review on the grounds that there is nothing remotely unhealthy about the relationship between Big Daddy and his 11 year-old daughter, Hit-Girl. The fans have clearly failed to spot the phallic symbolism in the opening scene between them, where he is educating her for later life and deliberately desensitising her by shooting at her with a gun (I’d have thought the sexual implication should be clear, even to non-Freudians)
    Who do the fans think educated this little girl with her sexual knowledge, and why do they think she says that the Mayor - or it might have been Chief of Police - knows how to get in touch with them, by projecting on to the clouds an image of a giant penis?"

It goes on....

Someone called Tom Dentith wrote on the facebook page of my website: “Hey Tookey how many wanks have you had over Hit Girl today? hahahah! Pedo in denial! Clearly.”

It then takes a strange route....

"My interest in the subject is not prurient or voyeuristic, nor is it motivated by paedophile instincts of my own. On the contrary.

When I was 10 and 11, I experienced at first hand the attentions of three different men who would now be called paedophiles – a doctor, a teacher and an unknown man in the woods behind my house"
  • Articulate-Troll 12 Apr 2010 05:57:02 3,104 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :S

He's clearly not right in the head. Hard to believe this mentalist actually gets paid to write.
  • Kay 12 Apr 2010 07:31:06 17,760 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That has to be a 'joke', I reckon. Must be.
  • woodnotes 12 Apr 2010 07:38:52 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure not even the director or screenwriters thought about it in as much detail as the Daily Mail reviewer. I mean, that review reads like a conspiracy theorist wrote it.
  • Vice.Destroyer 12 Apr 2010 08:23:01 5,823 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    2K00L4SK00L wrote:
    I don't know who to trust here, after all the love for Zombieland...

Anyone think Zombieland was drivel past 15 minutes but enjoy this?

Welcome brother. I did indeed think that Zombieland was drivel, but loved Kick-Ass.
  • comradetony 12 Apr 2010 08:25:53 200 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoyed this, saw it last night.

I'm glad I didn't see any trailers, as I had no idea what it was about or anything... pretty much only went to see it for the legend that is Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

The soundtrack was amazing!
  • the_dudefather 12 Apr 2010 08:26:00 9,189 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'A writer describing himself as “sortalikethat” wrote of my review “See this here is a perfect example why even 'reformed' pedophiles shouldn't get jobs as film critics”.'

Thanks for the Monday morning laugh Daily mail man!

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Blakester 12 Apr 2010 09:19:25 3,572 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw Kick-Ass yesterday, and it is an excellent film but tonally different to what I was expecting.

I thought I would be seeing an ultra-violent slice of throw-away popcorn fodder, but what I actually got was an ultra-violent thriller that had me at one turn sitting on the edge of my seat and at other genuinely unsettled at what I was seeing.

The best example I can give is the warehouse scene when K-A and B-D are tied up and being tortured by the mob. The set up to get to this scene was incredibly well done with a palpable sense of dread. The eventual rescue was thrilling but also incredibly sad. The imagery was so strong I was thinking about it for hours afterwards.

The whole film was very reminiscent of Kill Bill in terms of tone and atmosphere. Again not what I expected but a very pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to seeing it again. A very solid 85/100 for me.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Whizzo 13 Apr 2010 09:14:33 43,033 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to the moral outrage from middle America when it comes out on Friday in the US.

This space left intentionally blank.

• shamblemonkee 13 Apr 2010 09:43:45 14,257 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • shamblemonkee 13 Apr 2010 09:43:45 14,257 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow that daily fail reveiwer..... mind boggling.
  • L_Franko Moderator 13 Apr 2010 10:24:18 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Taking a half day and going to see this with the GF on Friday. Really looking forward to it.
  • Genji 13 Apr 2010 14:17:06 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was very good. 8/10

But it was too long. Or, to be more exact, it was longer than it needed to be, in that it didn't have enough story or material to stretch for 2 hours. I reckon a lot of the middle section could have been cut out and would have made little difference to the story, and would have made an even better film.

I loved Hit Girl, and wanted more of her.

And I *loved* Nicolas Cage. I think he's got a bit of an unfair reputation for being a bad actor, but I don't think anyone could say that he didn't shine here. His Adam West impersonation was fantastic. :D

Sequel please!
  • oceanmotion 13 Apr 2010 14:25:38 15,647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to the moral outrage from middle America when it comes out on Friday in the US.

Wow, it's not out in the US yet. Sure there will be an uproar.
  • Genji 13 Apr 2010 14:31:35 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be perfectly honest, though, some of the violence in this was quite disturbing. I like comic-booky stuff, but it got all serious for a while there.
  • HarryPalmer 13 Apr 2010 14:38:18 3,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only really shocking moments were the bits that were meant to be shocking when Kick-Ass gets stabbed and when Hit Girl gets punched in the face. Violence should be shocking and unpleasant at times - if it's all just comic book fun with no impression of pain then it is IMO more damaging.
  • oceanmotion 13 Apr 2010 14:40:24 15,647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yea, it was quite surprising how graphic it got. It was like Starship Troopers having a 15 certificate when I saw it as a kid, was quite chuffed to see that movie at that age in the cinema.

Cage was awesome. The warehouse scene was fantastic. I totally believed he was the coolest Batman ever.
  • Weebleboy 13 Apr 2010 14:40:25 367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    2K00L4SK00L wrote:
    I don't know who to trust here, after all the love for Zombieland...

Anyone think Zombieland was drivel past 15 minutes but enjoy this?

Welcome brother. I did indeed think that Zombieland was drivel, but loved Kick-Ass.

Me too. Zombieland was mince, but Kick-ass is great fun.
  • Genji 13 Apr 2010 14:45:32 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    The only really shocking moments were the bits that were meant to be shocking when Kick-Ass gets stabbed and when Hit Girl gets punched in the face. Violence should be shocking and unpleasant at times - if it's all just comic book fun with no impression of pain then it is IMO more damaging.
    Well, I agree that violence should be unpleasant at times, but did it need to be unpleasant in this movie? Doesn't comic book violence belong in a comic book movie?

Look, I still liked it, and don't hold the shocking violence against it. But I can certainly see how others might do that. An 11-year-old gets shot and punched in the face, after all. I can understand how some people might get a bit offended by that.
  • localnotail 13 Apr 2010 14:51:12 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah but she's not just any 11 year old, she's Hit Girl, she's been raised as a mini ninja assassin. It's kinda hypocritical if she can dish it but she can't be seen taking it.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Genji 13 Apr 2010 14:52:46 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess. But it doesn't exactly lessen the shock factor.
  • Genji 13 Apr 2010 14:54:39 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, I really don't think Ebert is going to like this movie.

I'll take a punt and say he'll give it 1 star. But perhaps it might be one of his famed 'zero star' reviews.
  • repairmanjack 13 Apr 2010 14:55:06 5,987 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw it yesterday - only four other people in the cinema. Not the best way to see it.

Not sure how much I enjoyed it to be honest. Think people are overly gushing, but would watch it again on DVD. Never really raised a big laugh - or grin.

7/10? ish.
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Apr 2010 14:56:16 39,384 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Err I found the film quite uplifting not disturbing. Think the daily fail reviewer is taking too much effort in being outraged.

It's a 15 fuckwit, i.e not for kids.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• HarryPalmer 13 Apr 2010 14:56:27 3,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say that both instances are necessary in showing the fallibility of the the characters. I still don't really see the fuss about the father/daughter scene. It's funny; it's showing that they are clearly quite nuts. Plus y'know, it's not real life. I'm not in any way having a go at you Genji, and I can totally see how people could be offended. I just don't think they should be. And knee jerk review like the ones seen in the Daily Mail and the Telegraph are bonkers.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 13 Apr 2010 15:03:43 7,003 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    An 11-year-old gets shot and punched in the face, after all. I can understand how some people might get a bit offended by that.

I think context is an important point here.

Yes it is quite a shocking and extreme moment in a film where everything is turned up to 11, but it doesn't really linger on the beating (most of it is off camera) and very quickly Kick-Ass turns up, guns them all down and They All Live Happily Ever After. If she'd been killed, disabled or tortured I think it would've pushed it too far and been certificated 18. As it is, it's only just acceptable as a 15.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last