Russell Howard isn't funny... Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Lukus 7 Apr 2011 16:20:39 19,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the problem with McIntyre lies with the absurd level of popularity he's attained. It simply does not reflect well on the British public, like most things that are popular. They're rarely a higher pleasure.
    He's better than Peter Kay though.

Paintings & Photographs

• Kosmoz 7 Apr 2011 16:25:18 7,692 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Craig0702 wrote:
    It's the whole 'hating something because it's popular' thing really isn't it?

Although the reverse of that is you now can't hate someone who is popular because you get accused of trying to be cool. It's a vicious circle of hidden ulterior motives.
    It's not hating something because it's popular, it's hating it because you hate it. If it wasn't popular, then you probably wouldn't know about it, and therefore not hate it. Because it is popular, you are more likley to experience it, and if you hate it, you hate it.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• El_MUERkO 7 Apr 2011 16:27:10 17,020 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I hated him before I knew he was popular. Work that one out!

i hated him before life on this planet developed the capacity to hate
  • Chopsen 7 Apr 2011 16:28:38 15,949 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I think the problem with McIntyre lies with the absurd level of popularity he's attained. It simply does not reflect well on the British public, like most things that are popular. They're rarely a higher pleasure.

Isn't that the very definition of snobbery though?

Not that that's a bad thing in itself though. I mean, if everybody liked Stewart Lee and Simon Munnery htf would I delude myself that I'm all clever and are sophisticated and stuff?
  • Chopsen 7 Apr 2011 16:31:15 15,949 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    Craig0702 wrote:
    It's the whole 'hating something because it's popular' thing really isn't it?

Although the reverse of that is you now can't hate someone who is popular because you get accused of trying to be cool. It's a vicious circle of hidden ulterior motives.
    It's not hating something because it's popular, it's hating it because you hate it. If it wasn't popular, then you probably wouldn't know about it, and therefore not hate it. Because it is popular, you are more likley to experience it, and if you hate it, you hate it.

Dunno. We're tribal creatures, and we work on shared values. If someone you dislike (e.g. Unwashed Masses) likes something, that makes it less likely that you'd hold similar values. If you think that you're a genuine free spirit and not influenced by the opinions of others you admire or aspirate to be like, you're either deluded or strange.
  • thedaveeyres 7 Apr 2011 16:31:27 11,058 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We have come full circle.

Well I have anyway... it's made a right fucking mess on the carpet.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Lukus 7 Apr 2011 16:39:10 19,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

Isn't that the very definition of snobbery though?

Probably. But that's what separates us from the animals (people who like McIntyre).

Paintings & Photographs

• Fab4 8 Apr 2011 14:05:54 6,057 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle starts on May 4th (11:20pm, BBC2)
  • M83J01P97 9 Apr 2011 20:51:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quick question... is John Bishop funny?

Or an annoying, common cunt?

Cheers.
  • kentmonkey 9 Apr 2011 21:38:31 20,681 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:

Cheers.
    I think he can be quite funny at times, but most of the time I get annoyed by his voice and delivery.

So in an attempt to answer your question...perhaps a funny annoying common cunt.
  • King_Edward 9 Apr 2011 21:38:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:

Cheers.

I like him.
  • Lukus 9 Apr 2011 21:39:39 19,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's good when he's not talking about football.

Paintings & Photographs

• mrpon 9 Apr 2011 22:17:41 28,896 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    His voice grates a bit, third in my list below Rhod Gilbert then twatty Andy Parsons.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Nemesis 9 Apr 2011 23:03:42 18,647 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    Craig0702 wrote:
    coda wrote:
    Stewart Lee begs to differ...

I'm not a violent person but I wouldn't get sick of hitting him. Such a smug, annoying cunt with a smug, annoying voice.

Cunt.

And yet, at his chosen profession, extremely talented.

Classic Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

Never really liked him to start with, but I appreciate his act now.

Russell Howard is a bit beige mainstream. It has it's place, but the problem is you know the beats of the routine and how it's going to go. Good comedy for me goes off at a complete tangent. I like the flights of fancy you get from people such as Izzard, Dylan Moran, Bailey (re-uses a shit-ton of material in the live gigs, bless 'im) and even Alan Davies had his moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BUiESEnKj0
  • kentmonkey 9 Apr 2011 23:17:02 20,681 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Bailey is great, but he re-uses far too much of his material. I went to see him at the Guildgud about 18 months ago and it was essentially Part Troll he was doing. Some new stuff (Asda man was brilliant, and rubbish in comparison on the DVD when he did it on that) but so, so, so much repeated.

It's fine - it's not as though you'd ever go to a gig of your favourite band and moan if they were singing songs you'd already heard, and it's still funny, but he doesn't produce enough new stuff for my liking.
  • turingsway 12 Apr 2011 10:43:42 185 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interesting thread, peoples opinions are all so different. Stewart Lee is probably the best stand up I have seen but doesn't work on TV imo. Bill Bailey was good but his last tour seemed a bit stale although I'm not sure comedy in an arena works. Ross Noble is brilliant but unfortuntely I haven't seen him live.

Dara O'Brien, Ed Byrne and particularly Dylan Moran have all been excellent when I have seen them. Doug Stanhope and Steven Wright are my favourite American comics and Chris Rock is very good at what he does.

I also liked Russell Brand when he was a stand up comedian. Self absorbed and divisive as a person but brilliant on stage. He talks about himself way too much on his DVD's.
  • dutchspeededup 12 Apr 2011 10:44:41 4,393 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Russell Howard is about as funny as a fart in a spacesuit.
  • richarddavies 12 Apr 2011 15:48:10 2,645 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know a few people that love Russell Howard. I just have a problem with how easy the type of comedy is that he does. Just shows a funny clip and then goes "ooh, that's a bit silly" HAHAHAHAHA, funny fucker.......
  • andytheadequate 12 Apr 2011 17:03:37 8,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    His standup is quite good. I think his TV show is dull though. You can almost see him reading his jokes off the auto-cue
  • nobodysprince 13 Apr 2011 00:57:29 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the comments about his show are spot on. In a way, it's like watching Harry Hill's TV Burp, but without the irreverence that keeps it (very mildly) entertaining. I think one of the things keeping Russell Howard going is that he's kind of 'cute' and 'nice', the kind of guy you could imagine knowing at, well, a Sixth Form. I think it's clear his humour isn't exactly demanding.
  • ecureuil 13 Apr 2011 01:11:49 76,802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Bill Bailey is great, but he re-uses far too much of his material. I went to see him at the Guildgud about 18 months ago and it was essentially Part Troll he was doing.

It's not surprising, he's gone downhill since then. Tinselworm was actually properly poor.
  • Craig0702 13 Apr 2011 09:46:52 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    Has Tim Minchin been mentioned yet, musical comedy genius. Well genius might be stretching it, but he is bloody good.

I went to see him in December with the 52-piece orchestra accompanying his songs. Seriously amazing night, one of my favourite modern comedians.
  • kentmonkey 13 Apr 2011 09:49:00 20,681 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    His standup is quite good. I think his TV show is dull though. You can almost see him reading his jokes off the auto-cue
    I think that's just his eyes, to be honest.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Apr 2011 09:54:16 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I saw Russell Brand in Sydney last June when he was there to promote Get Him to the Greek.

When he talks about something else other than himself (me, me, me!), he can be funny because his humour is very open and honest.

Tim Minchin is also brilliant!
  • Zomoniac 13 Apr 2011 10:01:28 7,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got to join Tim Minchin on stage and dress up as a bear. A great moment.

In other comic recommendations, seen Reginald D. Hunter live in recent months and he was fucking awesome.
  • pamtrueman 7 Feb 2013 18:54:35 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Worse than that! Less original than either of them and really unfunny.
  • pamtrueman 7 Feb 2013 18:57:33 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Lukus Seen them both several times (my partner likes them). Peter Kay is more original in that he created Phoenix Nights. MM just did "Britain's Got (no) Talent".
  • Lukus 7 Feb 2013 19:05:12 19,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    He's good when he's not talking about football.
    I can only assume I thought he (Bishop) just did jokes about football when I wrote this.

Edited by Lukus at 19:05:29 07-02-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2013 19:10:35 14,662 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mickey Flanagan for me. He is brilliant, still looking to get tickets to his Pompey show...sold out, but keep checking local ads, just in case.

As for RH, his sister has lovely tits...does that help ;-)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 19:11:05 07-02-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 9 First / Last