***Unofficial*** Eurogamer Android App/Widget Page 13

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• mikew1985 24 Feb 2011 12:01:24 12,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool, no rush Johnny, as it is free after all, appreciate any chance you get to improve it if you can.
  • mikew1985 24 Feb 2011 12:07:01 12,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and Happy marriagings :)
  • souvlaki 24 Feb 2011 14:15:33 707 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Thanks Johnny, though why you would think you will have more free time after mirriagings is beyond me :p
  • freakybun 22 Aug 2011 16:40:56 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi Guys,

It is rather convenient timing that the new iPhone has launched today because I've been quietly working on a new android app.

I've had a brief chat with Mr Washngo (who's super busy at the mo) and emailed the EG guys over the weekend (which they may or may not get because I used the "contact us" email link).

Its scraping the HMTL of the site at present but I'd like to plug it in to their API at some point.

Interestingly, from the release screenshot, it looks very similar to the iPhone app with a slidey features gallery on the front page.

I'll put together some screengrabs when I get home tonight.

• freakybun 22 Aug 2011 22:01:28 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So here you go, this is what I've been beavering away at:

App pictures

Hope the pictures work...

-----
    Doh! I just realised I left my mouse hovering over some of the screenshots of the emulator.
  • Kosmoz 22 Aug 2011 22:12:09 7,509 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will the forum have the proper view as well, or just the categories?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• mrpon 22 Aug 2011 22:16:22 27,646 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure why, but I love it ;-)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• freakybun 22 Aug 2011 22:19:37 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:

Will the forum have the proper view as well, or just the categories?

You probably can't tell from the images as I rushed them together. The idea is you click the forum tab - you see the categories - you click on a category - you see an index of the threads - click on a thread - you go to the last page of the thread.

Is that what you mean by the proper view??!
  • King_Edward 22 Aug 2011 22:23:42 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will it have a quote post button?

Looks very nice.
  • freakybun 22 Aug 2011 22:24:21 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FYI: Still a little unsure about the colour of the grey bar at top of the front page, I've played with a few ideas and its the design that I've kept with, for now.
  • freakybun 22 Aug 2011 22:29:08 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Will it have a quote post button?

Looks very nice.

Thanks! Actually, the only vital thing missing from the app right now is signing in and replying to posts/comments.

My plan is to have a quote button and to have aid buttons like the main site (bold/italic etc..). We'll see how that pans out. I'm also considering the karma system on comments, but not sure whether that would make things a little too busy.

Future stuff I want to do: caching/"read later", following/favourite threads, notifications and maybe a home screen widget.

• PearOfAnguish 22 Aug 2011 22:29:18 6,989 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks nice. Will it have an edit function?
  • mrpon 22 Aug 2011 22:38:43 27,646 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Speed freaky, gotta be shit fast like the mobile app.

• Vroom 22 Aug 2011 22:45:01 4,644 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    freakybun wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113099770038571282131/EurogamerAndroidApp#slideshow/5643784727759994722

----
    Doh! I just realised I left my mouse hovering over some of the screenshots of the emulator.

Hey! That's lovely !:)

Vroom

• freakybun 22 Aug 2011 23:17:26 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish
    Definately, edit will make it in when i start on the posting stuff.

@mrpon
    Oh yes, speed is really important. Its great at the moment on WIFI and HSDPA. Its not so great on plain 2.5G as I'm having to parse the source of the HTML pages.

You're not left waiting around for much more than a second or two. Forums are dead fast because i'm trawling through the mobile site.

looks like editing works!

and hopefully spoilers come out correctly.
  • freakybun 3 Sep 2011 22:24:53 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tiny update... I've got posting working for the forums. I'm typing this post on my phone right now.

I've spent a large part of the last couple of weeks wrangling with a rich text editor which, to keep things short, is working great.

I'm developing this on the train to and from work so that's why its taking so long!

I hope to release a beta, not on the market place, in the next week. its not got API integration yet, but it its very fast so all the API is going to give me is less data usage and protection against the site redesign.

oh and it does have a quote button :)
    ... and an edit button..
  • Blaketown 5 Sep 2011 10:44:08 4,630 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't wait.

I'd love a fully functional EG App. The old one is pretty much unusable these days.

If it had Groups and Interesting Threads I'd make sweet love to you.

I'd be the postman not the letterbox you understand

Brap, brap, old chap.

• sport 5 Sep 2011 10:50:28 12,046 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be receiving my Acer Liquid Mt this week hopefully so I think I'm gonna dabble in some EG apps myself. Along with a Parkrun app.

freaky - do you reckon you would put your app on github or something? Make it open source perhaps?
  • mikew1985 5 Sep 2011 11:14:55 12,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    looks lovely, will download as soon as it's available.

To echo an earlier query, do you have the old style forum view?
    From the looks of the screens, it's presented in a category style where as many of us prefer the "classic view" of the forum.
  • motti82 5 Sep 2011 12:48:33 2,815 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cracking app this. Lays out the forum how i want it. As Blaketown has said, an interesting threads and forums tab and its fried gold.
  • mrpon 5 Sep 2011 12:57:41 27,646 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    freakybun wrote:

App pictures

-----
    New pictures freaky? I see you've edited recently. Looks even more stunning than I remember it!! Only beef, the limited forum view thread-wise. How many threads do you think are visible on a bigger screen, say an S2?

• freakybun 5 Sep 2011 22:21:26 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    looks lovely, will download as soon as it's available.

To echo an earlier query, do you have the old style forum view?
    From the looks of the screens, it's presented in a category style where as many of us prefer the "classic view" of the forum.
    I read your post before leaving for home tonight and now its got an old skool option in the preferences :)

Took a bit longer than expected as I had to add a drop down to choose your category when posting a new thread.

Its features like this that I really want to capture from you guys because I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch of fundamental stuff.
  • freakybun 5 Sep 2011 22:33:42 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    freakybun wrote:

App pictures

-----
    New pictures freaky? I see you've edited recently. Looks even more stunning than I remember it!! Only beef, the limited forum view thread-wise. How many threads do you think are visible on a bigger screen, say an S2?
    Actually I accidentally screwed up the link attempting my first live edit! that's fixed now.

That's a good point about all you lucky people with bigger screens. All the measurements I'm using are device independent so it will scale a little rather than fit more on the page.

I should be able to either get an s2 or try out the same screen size in the emu to see what happens.
  • freakybun 5 Sep 2011 22:39:10 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Can't wait.

I'd love a fully functional EG App. The old one is pretty much unusable these days.

If it had Groups and Interesting Threads I'd make sweet love to you.

I'd be the postman not the letterbox you understand
    I hate to disappoint you but... not yet :(

Its on my future story list bit I'm concentrating on getting the core functionality up and running. 

I think I'd have to wait until I get access to the API anyway as I'm currently reading forums from the mobile site for speed and it doesn't support these.

• mikew1985 5 Sep 2011 22:42:09 12,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • freakybun 6 Sep 2011 18:59:18 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    So I tried a 5 inch tablet today thats the same DPI as the S2 and its as I thought, it scales. Its the same resolution and dpi as my desire and the s2, just a bigger screen.

I'll put font re-sizing on my list. Since I can't rely on the android framework to do the heavy lifting I'll see whats possible.

On another note, it looks like the Guy that names the 300x105 images on the front page features has picked a new naming scheme, which breaks the images on my slider :(  I try to guess the image name based on the top 4 images. Oh well, just hope I get access to the API soon!
  • motti82 9 Sep 2011 17:31:34 2,815 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had some crashes from holding down on links. Hoping that links will work soon.
  • freakybun 9 Sep 2011 18:33:52 593 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    Had some crashes from holding down on links. Hoping that links will work soon.
    So far the links are holding up. Deciding whether to link to an article internally or to the browser can lead to some confusion but I'm pretty happy.

Last push this evening to get comments posting and editing in place. I must admit I'm kinda rushing this last part cause Im really keen to get something properly usable out as a beta.

Incidentally, what version of android are people running?

I've been targeting 2.1. Its my first ever app so I might need to do some further testing...

I did try a 1.6 device a month ago but since the tabs went in, I'm a bit nervous!
  • mikew1985 9 Sep 2011 18:42:27 12,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd say most are 2.1 or above at thus stage fb
  • mrpon 9 Sep 2011 19:05:42 27,646 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Freaky, how many threads can you see on the screen then? For example the mobile site shows 7 on the S2, I reckon if you could squeeze 8 on yours it would look decent.

In fact 8 would keep it in line with Vrooms app ;)

• Page

of 14 First / Last