• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Vroom 21 Nov 2009 16:22:18 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Vroom! wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Don't laugh, Vroom. Pull your funking finger out.

My finger is out cheeky pup!

This stuff ain't easy ;)

I's messin' wit' yu baby ;)

Well I DON'T CARE! and I'm off to bed now..... ALONE!

Vroom

• Vroom 21 Nov 2009 16:25:33 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I'm sure we could club together Vroom! :p

Actually I did buy this one about a year ago. Bloody good it was too!

Vroom

• JohnnyWashnGo 23 Nov 2009 09:07:15 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I may have to post another video later this week as I have made some nice progress on the news article and review pages. Especially in merging all those articles with more than one page into a single page of text.

Also, I have some good ideas for the galleries and some other fun stuff.

Stay tuned.
  • Vroom 23 Nov 2009 09:10:07 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one Johnny.

Vroom

• morriss 28 Nov 2009 08:54:20 70,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good work!
  • Ginger 28 Nov 2009 10:13:53 6,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RE: the parsing, is it possible to parse this on a separate server so that you do all the hard work off of the phone and then have the app link to that - I'm guessing raups might get a bit narky about that though - can you not get direct access to the text from the EG site somehow?

London open taekwondo champion

• JohnnyWashnGo 5 Dec 2009 00:45:42 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    posting from the eurogamer android app.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 5 Dec 2009 00:47:12 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And with the above post, a small but challenging breakthrough, I can go to sleep.

I can post from the android app now ;)
  • suicida 5 Dec 2009 02:26:44 254 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd pay monies for this and test if required (G1 owner)
  • FooAtari 5 Dec 2009 07:38:47 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I'm prepared to pay a couple of quid for this, especially if the forum works well and is easier to browse than in the browser.
  • SwedBear 19 Dec 2009 10:24:35 262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got an Acer Liquid (snapdragon, Android 1.6 etc.) and can beta-test if you need help.
  • morriss 19 Dec 2009 10:26:51 70,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one Johnny. Really appreciate you efforts.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 21 Dec 2009 09:30:06 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a quick update since my last post... Sorry for taking so long with this app. Trying to screen scrape the site is proving... challenging to say the least.

Right after my last post, I came down with flu for a week so didn't make much progress for a week or so, and then I picked up Assassins Creed II which is great but gets in the way of coding ;)

Anyways, I am currently dogfooding the app and using it to post on news articles on the site. Forum posting is not there yet but will be soon. If you see any news article postings from me with (PFA) at the end, you know that I am Posting From Android.

Also, I am working on making the UI a bit prettier. Its kinda ugly at the moment so needs some TLC. When I get forum posting up and running, I will call out for a couple of people to test it.

Here's one I posted this morning ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-2-loading-improved-by-patch/comments
  • pauleyc 21 Dec 2009 11:06:04 4,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Great job.

FWIW, I'd also pay for such an app (though sadly not through the official Market - Google still hasn't made paid apps available over here).
  • SwedBear 21 Dec 2009 15:27:18 262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not in Sweden either but luckily the Liquid is rooted already so I use MarketEnabler to get access to paid apps. On the Android though it is possible to sell it outside the market. Just set up a paypal account and send out registrations codes that needs to be entered at install.

If it's good I definitely would like to pay.

I'm glad you did this though Johnny. I was thinking of doing something similar myself as a learning project for Android as we are looking into doing iPhone/Android apps at work. I might pick your brain if possible since you now are experienced in programing for the Android ...
  • JohnnyWashnGo 21 Dec 2009 15:32:19 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SwedBear wrote:
    Not in Sweden either but luckily the Liquid is rooted already so I use MarketEnabler to get access to paid apps. On the Android though it is possible to sell it outside the market. Just set up a paypal account and send out registrations codes that needs to be entered at install.

If it's good I definitely would like to pay.

I'm glad you did this though Johnny. I was thinking of doing something similar myself as a learning project for Android as we are looking into doing iPhone/Android apps at work. I might pick your brain if possible since you now are experienced in programing for the Android ...

I have a long and torrid history with J2ME applications so Android development wasn't too much of a stretch for me... and feel free to pick my brains if you like.

I think I will post another video a bit later on this evening - just to give a flavour of where the app is headed at the moment.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 21 Dec 2009 22:23:14 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Update time.

Just popped a new video of the app in action on youtube. This time showing the ability to post on news articles. My god its a long way off of being properly usable but I can get some use out of it on a small scale, so am hoping that I will make more progress now.

Apologies for the naff video and lack of editing - it was done quick and dirty after a few mugs of mulled wine ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2csxNuPw9s

If you are interested, the article I posted on is here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ubisoft-trademarks-future-soldier/comments?comment_start=0
  • morriss 21 Dec 2009 22:24:06 70,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one, mate. I'll check it out now.
  • Vroom 21 Dec 2009 22:32:46 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one Johnny. Hard init? :)

Vroom

• morriss 21 Dec 2009 23:06:31 70,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    why is there (PFA) at the end?
  • JohnnyWashnGo 21 Dec 2009 23:43:55 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The (PFA) is for my benefit at the moment - just means Posted From Android and helps me separate the posts I make from the phone from the posts I make from the computer a home and at work ;)

Yeah Vroom!, its hard. I think I make it harder by not working on it as much as I could. But there are games to play, work to be done and life to get in the way. That being said, most of the complicated challenges are out of the way now, so I should make some good progress on the forums soon.

And I just noticed the quality of that video upload is poo... the source material looks much nicer :(
  • JohnnyWashnGo 2 Jan 2010 19:01:46 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Happy new year people, hope everyone is having/has had a great time. I have been coding so I thought I would post an update.

The app is coming along really nicely. I have been using it myself for commenting on articles and am now at a stage where I can create threads in the forum and soon, commenting on threads.

I risk getting in trouble with EG for creating lots of test threads so I may have to be careful about what I create and when. Therefore, its gonna take a bit of time to get this part of the app fully working.

I have a nice auto log-in feature now which ensures that you are always ready and able to post without having to concern yourself with entering your username/password. The app just does it for you if you have stored your log in credentials.

During xmas I have been testing it in a number of ways to make sure it doesn't compromise the phone functionality. Off the back of that, I need to make some architectural changes but in general it is performing well. Just yesterday I was listening to a new album on the phone whilst commenting on an article. The music was not interrupted at all and the app performed perfectly. I am happy about this.

Hopefully I will have more to show you all soon. I can feel the app actually being useful now and can't wait to finish the first version off so that you can all use it. Until then, take it easy and don't give up on me ;)
  • byron_hinson 2 Jan 2010 21:06:58 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will it work on my Wife's HTC Tattoo - has the smaller resolution that some apps didn't work well with til they updated!
  • Ginger 2 Jan 2010 21:11:44 6,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you not put test posts in the bug category or something?

London open taekwondo champion

• rauper Staff 2 Jan 2010 21:28:12 3,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Johnny: Are you just using our public RSS feeds and ripping from the site to make the app? If so, get in touch and we can give you access to private feeds to give you everything you need (like Vroom has) so it'll be faster/more reliable/more flexible...
  • Vroom 2 Jan 2010 21:54:46 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rauper wrote:
    Johnny: Are you just using our public RSS feeds and ripping from the site to make the app? If so, get in touch and we can give you access to private feeds to give you everything you need (like Vroom has) so it'll be faster/more reliable/more flexible...

:)

Vroom

• morriss 2 Jan 2010 22:01:46 70,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Very nice Johnny. Can't wait to try it. I'll beta test it for you when you think it's ready for that if you like.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 2 Jan 2010 22:05:06 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rauper wrote:

This... I like the sound of.

I will drop you a line shortly and hopefully I can get this app working a little better. Currently I am using the public RSS feed for the news but if you can provide me access to some private feeds, I would be most grateful.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 17 Jan 2010 16:44:48 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hello everyone.

Just a quickie... I have the app working to the extent that you can read news/forums and post in news/forums. There is still quite a lot to do and I would like a couple of people to perhaps help me in testing the app on their devices.

All you need is a Eurogamer account (because otherwise posting in forums is pretty difficult), a phone running android 1.5 or above (this is most android phones) and the ability to point out things that are wrong, need improvement or just implementing ;)

Oh you will also need to have enabled you phone to installed untrusted apps. Its simple to do and takes about 3 seconds.

The app isnt finished by any means, its just about useable to be honest. If you only have 2G network access in your area then you can expect lengthy delays when refreshing screens due to network latency and the ungodly amount of parsing going on in the app. If you have 3G you will find the experience a whole lot better. If you are near a wifi access point, then using that will make it super fast ;)

As well as working on making the app look good enought to use, I will also be rewriting it internally to use the same APIs as the iPhone uses which should make things an order of magnitude easier to code and faster when running.

So if you fancy having a go with it, crashing the app, crashing your phone and basically having a good reason to shout at me then pop your name down in this thread and I will get back to you with a url tomorrow.

Cheers.

P.S. The devices I have been testing on are a HTC Hero and the Nexus One. Both seem to work fine, with the Hero being a little bit slower than the N1 but not that much.
  • glo 17 Jan 2010 16:59:02 3,425 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a HTC Tattoo and are happy for your app to crash it if you need to test it on some downmarket phones.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last