Goodbye

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Blerk Moderator 9 Aug 2004 10:33:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chaps,

I've decided to go. There's no easy way to say it, so I figured 'blunt' was best.

Being away quite a bit in the last month or so has lead me to realise that I don't enjoy being here as much as I used to. Indeed, the forums don't seem to be quite how they were, although it's difficult to put my finger on exactly what it was that changed. Precious few threads seem to be about games these days, and for some reason I seem to be feeling a bit 'left out' of late.

So I've decided to call it quits. I do plan on still visiting the main site occasionally to read the news and perhaps to comment on any games stories, but after today I plan not to visit the forum any more.

There've been some great people in here over the years, and I do feel like I've made some real friends - especially those of a JRPG persuasion. But.... I dunno. It's just not so much fun any more. I plan to redirect my efforts into my other projects and to try and actually further my career a bit, so I won't be joining any rival forums. :-)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • tedster11 9 Aug 2004 10:36:14 575 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheerio!

/Eats fish

Edited by tedster11 at 09:36:41 09-08-2004
  • MetalDog 9 Aug 2004 10:36:37 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bye Blerk.
    I'll miss reading your comments. Take care of yourself and stay chilly.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ssuellid 9 Aug 2004 10:37:07 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh ;)

Its getting quiet around here.
  • templar-wizard 9 Aug 2004 10:37:10 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    a games forum needs to be enforced to stop the fallout. i went, missed some my friends here... but it seems not enough.

were are you going blerk?

www.rllmukforum.com is a nice(-ish) games forum [im there]
    and www.gaming-age.com too [watch out for the fanbois and nintendosexuals]

i hope we cross paths again soon, because you are one of the good guys.
  • semprini 9 Aug 2004 10:38:25 3,144 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sorry to hear that Blerk, hope you manage to find something new to spend your time on.
  • Lutz 9 Aug 2004 10:40:01 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /scrawls "meh" poster

/hangs above the door

You'll be missed Blerkie. Pop in from time to time to say hi. :)
  • Whizzo 9 Aug 2004 10:45:56 43,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheerio Blerk, sorry to see you go.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Retroid Moderator 9 Aug 2004 10:47:14 44,505 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah. Who else is going to try to subvert new hardware to play 20-year-old games?

Bar me, of course.

You'll be missed ;_;
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Aug 2004 10:52:23 35,506 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am really, really sorry to hear that, Blerk.

I am sure many agree with me when I say you're one of the most likeable, charming and funniest personalities here at EG. The place won't be the same without you, and that's coming from someone who definitely doesn't share your taste in games. ;-)

/realises this sounds like a declaration of love
    /doesn't care

I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll be back! :-)

And I just couldn't find a place to smuggle a "meh" in this post.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:52:59 09-08-2004
  • marilena 9 Aug 2004 10:54:54 8,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It seems to me that some of the posters here expect the forum to take their entire time, or none at all. Why not visit it once a day, read the one or two threads that interest you and reply if you feel you have something to say? This leaving thing seems a bit too dramatic to me, and also it seems that you are closing the door for no real reason. Now, when you will feel like posting something here you will think "I said I'm leaving, I can't go back now", and that doesn'nt really make sense.
  • Angel_Treats 9 Aug 2004 10:55:42 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear you're going Blerk. I agree with everything UncleLou said, and I'd also like to add that it's your fault I forked out for Disgaea ;) Take care Blerky!
  • squaylor 9 Aug 2004 10:57:58 3,737 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I am really, really sorry to hear that, Blerk.

I am sure many agree with me when I say you're one of the most likeable, charming and funniest personalities here at EG. The place won't be the same without you, and that's coming from someone who definitely doesn't share your taste in games. ;-)

/realises this sounds like a declaration of love
    /doesn't care

I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll be back! :-)

And I just couldn't find a place to smuggle a "meh" in this post.
    Yes you did U_L, yes you did... :)

All the best blerk
  • RubyRed 9 Aug 2004 10:58:58 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloody charming :(
  • BartonFink 9 Aug 2004 11:03:32 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah Blerko don't go!

Not posting much here anymore myself either (or anywhere for that matter). Drop in from time to time...

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Decoded 9 Aug 2004 11:04:21 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    /wails

First renzo, now you....

So, one less member to carry the torch for our beloved JRPG's. Will miss you, dood!
  • CerealKey 9 Aug 2004 11:08:16 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bye then.
  • BartonFink 9 Aug 2004 11:09:42 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear you're going Blerk. I agree with everything UncleLou said, and I'd also like to add that it's your fault I forked out for Disgaea ;) Take care Blerky!
    Didn't get it yet AT. Does it suck the life out of you or just plain suck?
  • Whizzo 9 Aug 2004 11:10:29 43,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decoded wrote:So, one less member to carry the torch for our beloved JRPG's. Will miss you, dood!
    Bow down to the western RPG fans, we're carrying turbo plasma rifles and hardened power armour and aren't afraid to use them. ;-)

• pjmaybe 9 Aug 2004 11:11:12 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

You'd better at least drop in from time to time to let us know the progress on your speccy game...

Ack, and you were doing a good job lately of making sure I was EG's resident moany old bastard, now it looks like I'm stuck with the job whether I want it or not...!!!

Cheerio 8-bit buddy.

Peej
  • kincaide 9 Aug 2004 11:13:28 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A sad post to read. Good luck, and I hope you pop in now and again to see how we're getting on
  • Whizzo 9 Aug 2004 11:14:25 43,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk appears in Retro magazine, Blerk leaves forum. He's obviously too good for us now! Alternatively he's been made an offer to exclusively port his Manic Miner levels to Xbox2 and won't have the time to waste here...

• Angel_Treats 9 Aug 2004 11:16:28 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Didn't get it yet AT. Does it suck the life out of you or just plain suck?
    Well, I've only played for about half an hour, to be honest. It immediately seemed like the sort of game that does suck you in and demand ALL of your time for weeks on end, so I switched it off and I'm making myself wait till I finish a couple of the games I have on the go at the moment, because otherwise they'll be neglected. (Halo, I'm looking at you!) What little I did play of it impressed me no end - it looks lovely, the battle system is nice, and it has a sense of humour which a lot of games nowadays seem to be lacking. I reckon you should pick it up, definitely.

Edit: Yeah Blerk, do let us know how the Speccy game is progressing, I for one am interested to know how it's coming along.

Edited by Angel_Treats at 10:17:18 09-08-2004
  • BartonFink 9 Aug 2004 11:19:36 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Well, I've only played for about half an hour, to be honest. It immediately seemed like the sort of game that does suck you in and demand ALL of your time for weeks on end, so I switched it off and I'm making myself wait till I finish a couple of the games I have on the go at the moment, because otherwise they'll be neglected.

Hmm sounds very familiar, looks like it will be left on the shelf then ;)
  • Mike_Hunt 9 Aug 2004 11:20:13 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn man, another one bites the dust. It's a real shame, and you're gonna be missed big fella.

/has no idea of Blerks size, but it felt like a "big fella" moment

Do you really think the forum's changed that much? I suppose this isn't the thread to be getting into it really. I still think there's a fair few game thread around, so perhaps the removal of your mole somehow simultaneously removed your posting powers? If that's the case, I hope you grow another one and come back!

/waves white lace hanky

[MH]
  • Razz 9 Aug 2004 11:20:41 61,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He'll back... they always come back

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• BartonFink 9 Aug 2004 11:21:17 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Do you really think the forum's changed that much?
    [MH]
    Yup!
  • Blerk Moderator 9 Aug 2004 11:30:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All,

Thanks for the (mostly) kind words. The reason I want to get away is because I'm finding that I'm sitting here hitting 'refresh' continuously all day and it's really not doing me any good, especially as much of the 'chat' isn't even about games. I might well drop in from time to time, I just want to get out of the 'sitting here all day every day' routine. For those reasons I figure it's safer for me to stick to the comments area... If you want to get my attention then I'd suggest you watch for me there.

This place really does seem to have become 'part of the furniture' in the last few years, and that's a little bit worrying - I'm finding myself wondering how much more work I could've gotten done if I hadn't been hanging around here all day. The Speccy game would've been finished a long time ago, for a start!

But... y'know. Stuff. It might prove too difficult to go cold turkey. Maybe I could be persuaded to just nip in once a day to comment on games-only threads? That remains to be seen how I get on. For the minute... I think we need a trial separation.

For those interested in the progress of the game, I'm currently preparing a complete overhaul of my old web pages since getting the Retro Gamer plug, and with a bit of luck they'll be up soon - a dedicated section for the (as yet untitled) masterpiece will feature there.
  • BartonFink 9 Aug 2004 11:35:59 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The trial separation thing will work eventually Blerko.

Kinda found it a little hard at the beginining to get away from the place. But the new job, location, new baby on the way made things a little easier. Down to posting about once a week now. Once a day would be nice but it's hard to find a decent gaming thread I'm interested in at the mo.
  • Lutz 9 Aug 2004 11:37:05 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    The trial separation thing will work eventually Blerko.

Kinda found it a little hard at the beginining to get away from the place. But the new job, location, new baby on the way made things a little easier. Down to posting about once a week now. Once a day would be nice but it's hard to find a decent gaming thread I'm interested in at the mo.
    I've been missing you too bud...

/polishes Tard "ye olde faithful" shotgun

Thems were the days... Or nights as it usually was.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous