Barca attempting to poach our young players

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • w00t 2 Nov 2009 15:07:15 11,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Details.

So Barca are 'holding talks' with Chuks Aneke and Benik Afobe (two of the most promising 16 year olds in our youth set up - and they're English). Apparently offers in the region of 5500/week are being mentioned...

I now think I'm beginning to properly understand how Barca felt about us nicking Cesc and Merida now...

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• The-Bodybuilder 2 Nov 2009 17:39:41 14,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Balls. It was just afobe last week, where did aneke come into play?
    It's rubbish, if they could offer 16 year olds that amount of money, they wouldn't have lost merida and cesc in the first place.
  • Fizzog 2 Nov 2009 17:48:03 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huh, you can't say we haven't had it coming.

I hope Afobe says though as I've heard he's a top top prospect and a local lad too. :(
  • w00t 2 Nov 2009 17:53:52 11,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    Balls. It was just afobe last week, where did aneke come into play?
    It's rubbish, if they could offer 16 year olds that amount of money, they wouldn't have lost merida and cesc in the first place.
    Maybe they want two for two. Also, we nicked them about 6 years ago, wasn't it? Times change...

• Fizzog 2 Nov 2009 18:07:38 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When was the last time a top talent came through Barca's youth ranks and really got a chance in their first team?

I know Busquets and Jeffren have made sporadic appearances but neither of them seem too special.
  • mrcrumley 2 Nov 2009 18:17:04 371 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i thought there was some sort of law which meant they cldnt sign contracts that young in Spain. Im probably totally wrong though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Nov 2009 18:39:34 14,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    When was the last time a top talent came through Barca's youth ranks and really got a chance in their first team?

I know Busquets and Jeffren have made sporadic appearances but neither of them seem too special.

Bojan?
    Messi? (wasn't he there at 13?)
    Dos Santos was getting games too before nosediving his career.
  • Fizzog 2 Nov 2009 18:44:44 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:

Bojan?
    Messi? (wasn't he there at 13?)
    Dos Santos was getting games too before nosediving his career.

Bojan made his first team debut in 2007 and Messi in 2004..

I'm talking in the 2 years or so.
  • askew 2 Nov 2009 18:45:52 12,188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just load up FM2010 and take a peek at their squad :)
  • SuperCoolEskimo 2 Nov 2009 21:17:37 9,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I suppose we of all clubs can't really object. The only issue I have is that we gave Fran and Cesc a genuine incentive of more first team football when we brought them across. Whether those two will get a bigger opportunity to play first team football at Barcelona remains to be seen but I have my doubts, especially as they are both forwards (potentially a forward in Aneke's case).

Barcelona have traditionally bought their attacking talent from amongst the world's elite - Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovich, Henry, Eto'o, Rivaldo, Kluivert, Stoichkov etc etc. From memory only Messi has come through the academy and straight into their starting front line but he is ridiculously talented, and I have my doubts over Bojan. The two London kids will be competing with not only Barcelona's kids and first teamers, but also the world's elite for first team football over there.

With the above in mind, and given our policy of promoting youth players to the first team ahead of splashing the cash on new signings, they'd be mad to go. I have very little faith in the modern footballer though, especially this current younger generation of English footballers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave.
  • w00t 8 Feb 2010 18:24:58 11,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FUCK YOU BARCA

• SuperCoolEskimo 8 Feb 2010 20:54:22 9,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice :)
  • generica 9 Feb 2010 14:45:43 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    I'm talking in the 2 years or so.

A fantastic way of judging whether a youth system is in decline!
  • generica 9 Feb 2010 15:00:29 4,273 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Barcelona have traditionally bought their attacking talent from amongst the world's elite...From memory only Messi has come through the academy and straight into their starting front line but he is ridiculously talented, and I have my doubts over Bojan.

Xavi, Iniesta? Not mentioning the non-attacking talent: Puyol, Valdez. Throughout their history they have a tradition of promoting youth players and they have quite a few youngsters appearing now. Quite a large proportion of their pre-season training was played with their youth teams, or essentially their youth team. So yeah: currently they have five or six players from their academy in their first team and more featuring as subs, which is better than most of the larger teams in the world.
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2010 15:08:40 33,265 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    soon they will also have fabregas, another product of their youth team
  • Captain_Peach 9 Feb 2010 15:55:35 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah I'm hoping Fabregas will do what Henry did, have his best years and arsenal and a year before his eventual decline, he moves to barca for a big money move.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 9 Feb 2010 16:02:01 9,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    generica wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Barcelona have traditionally bought their attacking talent from amongst the world's elite...From memory only Messi has come through the academy and straight into their starting front line but he is ridiculously talented, and I have my doubts over Bojan.

Xavi, Iniesta? Not mentioning the non-attacking talent: Puyol, Valdez. Throughout their history they have a tradition of promoting youth players and they have quite a few youngsters appearing now. Quite a large proportion of their pre-season training was played with their youth teams, or essentially their youth team. So yeah: currently they have five or six players from their academy in their first team and more featuring as subs, which is better than most of the larger teams in the world.
    That's why I said attackers, perhaps I should have said forwards instead. Yes, Xavi and Iniesta are excellent attacking midfielders but when it comes to out and out forwards/wingers, Barca have usually bought these from amongst the world elite and haven't had a world class attacker come through their system in a while, Messi aside.
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2010 16:04:18 33,265 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Nah I'm hoping Fabregas will do what Henry did, have his best years and arsenal and a year before his eventual decline, he moves to barca for a big money move.

i dont think he will stick around much longer than May

you can see it on his face :(
  • SuperCoolEskimo 9 Feb 2010 16:07:30 9,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed, I think he's off. If Spain have a good World Cup, which they probably will, I think it'll only make him even more determined to join his mates over there.
  • Dougs 9 Feb 2010 16:10:58 67,296 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One more season imo
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2010 16:40:10 33,265 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Either way, it'll be awesome to get another 40m for the piggy bank.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Feb 2010 21:36:34 14,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why? So we can save it in the bank and wait re-build the squad around walcott? :p
  • kentmonkey 9 Feb 2010 22:43:57 20,614 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's gone I think. Can't blame him. He's showing massive ambition. We're not. I would go if I was him. If I thought the club were actually going to be ambitious and try to win things, then I'd stick around for as long as was needed. But I just don't see that with us. I don't see us trying to win things by anything other than the youth system. We're not investing the cash in getting new players in and stregthening/bolstering the squad, so I'd go.
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2010 15:08:13 67,296 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And now Sunu signs a new deal too. Good stuff, was meant to be heading back to France in reports last week
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next