Simple Recipes?

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • ElNino9 29 Oct 2009 18:02:59 13,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As the my fiance pretty much does all my cooking for me, I have decided that I'm going to cook for her at least once a week. Trouble is I'm not that experienced in the kitchen. I do a pretty mean spaghetti bolognese and chili, but thats about it.

    Could anyone suggest something thats tasty, but fairly simple to make?

    Cheers.

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • Deleted user 29 October 2009 18:04:16
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 29 October 2009 18:07:53
    Anything with pasta is fairly easy, Carbonara is quick but tricky as you might end up with scrambled egg. Mexican food is easy, Fajitas especially. Curries, stir-fries etc. especially with a bought sauce

    Rice and pasta basically.
  • Angel_Treats 29 Oct 2009 18:08:38 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Home made burgers.

    Take a packet of mince (beef or turkey). Put a couple of slices of bread in the blender to make breadcrumbs and mix it with the mince. Beat an egg and mix that in. Make the mixture into four burger shapes and fry them for about five minutes on each side. Or grill them. Serve in nice crusty bread rolls or tiger bread.

    Also if you can get lamb mince, mix in a bit of mint and it's lovely.
  • askew 29 Oct 2009 18:11:05 12,154 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lamb chops - grill/griddle for 12 mins.
    Mash - you know how to make it right? Season well.
    Onion gravy - soften onions, then turn the heat right up. Add a splash of white wine vinegar and boil it off, add a nob of butter and add some stock. Reduce to gravy consistency.

    Done.
  • ElNino9 29 Oct 2009 18:15:59 13,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. :)

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • Nasty 29 Oct 2009 18:16:33 4,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Noodles are your friend.

    Easy Chow Mein = Cook medium or skinny Noodles for 5 minutes and drain. Turn pan up to max, little bit oil, add sliced onions and rumble for a minute, add beansprouts for 30 secs and a good slosh of dark soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Add some chunked/sliced cooked chicken and rumble for another 30 secs then take off the heat. Add the noddles back in and a good slug of sesame oil and mix it all up. You should have nice sticky noodles, not sloppy like out the take-away. Stick in a bowl and consume with nice cold beer.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Oct 2009 18:18:44 14,705 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mashed potato, bacon, sprinkling of parsly and lashings of butter and you have bacon mash. Chop the bacon, cook with a few spices if you like, and mix. Delicious.

    I thank Sven Hassel for that recipie.

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • StixxUK 29 Oct 2009 18:20:10 7,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just pick a recipe and do what it says.

    Congratulations, you're now a good cook.
  • ElNino9 29 Oct 2009 18:21:38 13,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Just pick a recipe and do what it says.

    Congratulations, you're now a good cook.

    If only it were that easy. :)

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • speedofthepuma 29 Oct 2009 18:28:16 13,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get some lamb, pop it under the grill, then mix some green pesto and breadcrumbs and layer over the top, fire it under the grill for a few minutes and serve with some mash.

    Well done, you've just made my wife's favourite meal.

    Also: chicken breast with asparagus on top wrapped in parma-ham wrap loosly in tin foil and pop in the oven at gas mark 5 for 25-30 mins. (If you want open up the foil for the last couple of minutes).

    I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

  • mal 29 Oct 2009 18:34:54 22,418 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do a casserole: piece of piss. You need some diced meat, a large onion, some root vegetables, and some other vegetables (peas, broccoli, sweet peppers, probably not leaves like cabbage or spinach), some stock (or a stock cube made up as per the instructions) and a little oil.

    Find a casserole dish. Warm the oven up to about 180 degrees (gas mark 5ish) and warm the dish in it, then add the oil, the onion (chopped - not superfine) and the meat. Pop it back in the oven for ten minutes or so.

    Take it out, checking the meat is sealed and add the stock and the root vegetables, washed, skinned and chopped. Leave that in the oven for about half an hour, then add the other vegetables except the peas. Leave that in the oven for about another fifteen minutes, then add the peas if you're using them. Finish it off in the oven for another five minutes or to - so the cooking time in total is around 50 mins.

    If it comes out too watery for your tastes, there's a right way and a wrong way to thicken it up. Firstly, you can make a roux and add it. To make a roux you need a fat and some flour - you're meant to use butter and plain flour though I've managed to make it with groundnut oil and self-raising in the past, in an emergency. Just fry the flour in the fat in a saucepan. Once it starts to go a little brown, take it off the heat, and start spooning in some of the liquid from the casserole and mixing it all together as you go along. Once there's enough liquid in there to make it runny, transfer it all back to the casserole and mix it in. If you do that early enough, the roux in the mix will thicken up the stock lovely.

    The cheap way is to use water instead of stock and add some gravy granules when you're adding the peas - but that doesn't taste as nice.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • iokthemonkey 29 Oct 2009 18:41:23 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dead easy chicken dish - get a bowl and put a ratio of two spoons of paprika to one of chili powder and - if you want - some garlic salt. Mix it all up and then take some cubed pieces of chicken and roll them around until covered. Stir-fry it all, then add some finely chopped onion. Serve on boiled rice.

    Bloody lovely!

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • Nasty 29 Oct 2009 18:47:41 4,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Do a casserole: piece of piss. You need some diced meat, a large onion, some root vegetables, and some other vegetables (peas, broccoli, sweet peppers, probably not leaves like cabbage or spinach), some stock (or a stock cube made up as per the instructions) and a little oil.

    Find a casserole dish. Warm the oven up to about 180 degrees (gas mark 5ish) and warm the dish in it, then add the oil, the onion (chopped - not superfine) and the meat. Pop it back in the oven for ten minutes or so.

    Take it out, checking the meat is sealed and add the stock and the root vegetables, washed, skinned and chopped. Leave that in the oven for about half an hour, then add the other vegetables except the peas. Leave that in the oven for about another fifteen minutes, then add the peas if you're using them. Finish it off in the oven for another five minutes or to - so the cooking time in total is around 50 mins.

    If it comes out too watery for your tastes, there's a right way and a wrong way to thicken it up. Firstly, you can make a roux and add it. To make a roux you need a fat and some flour - you're meant to use butter and plain flour though I've managed to make it with groundnut oil and self-raising in the past, in an emergency. Just fry the flour in the fat in a saucepan. Once it starts to go a little brown, take it off the heat, and start spooning in some of the liquid from the casserole and mixing it all together as you go along. Once there's enough liquid in there to make it runny, transfer it all back to the casserole and mix it in. If you do that early enough, the roux in the mix will thicken up the stock lovely.

    The cheap way is to use water instead of stock and add some gravy granules when you're adding the peas - but that doesn't taste as nice.

    ElNino9 wrote:

    Simple Recipes?



    ;o)

    I know what you nean that casseroles should be simple but it is rediculously easy to end up with brown water with chewy meat too.
  • mal 29 Oct 2009 19:01:10 22,418 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never had a problem with chewy meat personally - I suspect it helps if you seal it first before adding the stock, though I originally just plonked the meat in an cooked the hell out of it. As for the 'brown water' problem, that's what that (as it turned out) mahoosive fourth paragraph is all about.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • ElNino9 29 Oct 2009 19:01:26 13,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    Dead easy chicken dish - get a bowl and put a ratio of two spoons of paprika to one of chili powder and - if you want - some garlic salt. Mix it all up and then take some cubed pieces of chicken and roll them around until covered. Stir-fry it all, then add some finely chopped onion. Serve on boiled rice.

    Bloody lovely!

    That sounds yummy.

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • FWB 29 Oct 2009 19:03:08 44,093 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Take some food, doesn't really matter what it is - and cook it. Then go to the fridge, take out the cheese and grater and cover the meal with it. Perfect.

    As an alternative for desserts, follow the same instructions but replace the cheese with cinnamon.
  • terminalterror 29 Oct 2009 20:19:54 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dangerpuss wrote:
    Mexican food is easy, Fajitas especially.

    This in particular. Pasta, rice and noodly dishes can all be easy, but with Mexican food you don't even need to cook the carbs.


    It is even easier if you buy a kit from a supermarket (Old El Paso or Discovery are the brands, but all the supermarket own brands are pretty good too). You can get all sorts of different kits (and all the bits separately too if you want) and all you need to add is some meat, peppers and onion, and some grated cheese.

    They basically amount to:

    Fry some meat till its cooked, add some seasoning powder stuff (or just whack your own spices in there), add some peppers, onions etc. and let the whole thing simmer for a while. Then you lay out the frying pan of meaty filling, some grated cheese, some salsa (comes with the kit) and the tortilla (particular variety depends on whether you have a Taco, Fajita, Enchilada, Quesidilla or Burrito etc. kit) and then you make them at the table, eat with your hands and get a little messy.

    Yummy, simple and easy.



    Once you've mastered doing it from the kit (they provide full and clear instructions), then you can start getting the various bits separately, or replacing them with your own alternatives.
  • deem 29 Oct 2009 20:23:40 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cut up a garlic clove, fry it, add a tin of tomatoes, a tin of tuna, a finger nail of chili powder and half a handful of capers, leave it for a few minutes, then serve it with pasta.
  • angeltreats 29 Oct 2009 20:25:33 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nasty wrote:


    ;o)

    I know what you nean that casseroles should be simple but it is rediculously easy to end up with brown water with chewy meat too.

    Cook it sloooooowly and it'll be lovely and tender and will melt in the mouth :)

    I bought a slow cooker recently but haven't got around to using it yet, apparently they're fantastic for casseroles and stuff using cheaper cuts of meat.
  • iokthemonkey 29 Oct 2009 21:25:27 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    Dead easy chicken dish - get a bowl and put a ratio of two spoons of paprika to one of chili powder and - if you want - some garlic salt. Mix it all up and then take some cubed pieces of chicken and roll them around until covered. Stir-fry it all, then add some finely chopped onion. Serve on boiled rice.

    Bloody lovely!

    That sounds yummy.

    It is. You can also do it with Quorn chicken-style pieces if you prefer - just add some water to your paprika/chili mix to make it more paste-ish.

    BTW, just to point out it's a 2:1 ratio, not 3 spoons of spices in total.

    Another really good one is to chop up some chicken and stir-fry it with some peppers, mushrooms, onions and kashew nuts, in lashings of soy sauce. Then add some noodles and mix it all together.

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • Chimpus 29 Oct 2009 21:33:05 751 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another chicken dish, say what you like about oliver but this is dead simple and quick. I usually do some mash with. It is dishlicous.


    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-breast-with-pancetta-and-leeks
  • BinaryBob101 29 Oct 2009 22:32:43 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One thing that loads of people have missed out and that's seasoning. Almost everything gets better with salt and pepper if used in the right way.

    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

  • mal 30 Oct 2009 02:26:00 22,418 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Nasty wrote:
    ;o)

    I know what you nean that casseroles should be simple but it is rediculously easy to end up with brown water with chewy meat too.

    Cook it sloooooowly and it'll be lovely and tender and will melt in the mouth :)

    I bought a slow cooker recently but haven't got around to using it yet, apparently they're fantastic for casseroles and stuff using cheaper cuts of meat.
    I've got one, and tbh it's just a bit of a faff. You're meant to brown the meat first because the slow cooker doesn't get hot enough to kill the bacteria on the outside of the meat, and firing up the two cooking appliances for one dish is a pain.

    I can imagine they're good if you've got the time in the morning to be browning meat for your evening dish. The dish I did had decent meat flavours, but it had recked the vegetables.

    Actually, the best casserole/stew I ever made I made years ago when I had access to a big oven. I did it in a hefty ~10l oven-proof jar-type thing. I took it out of the oven and it was so big that it was still warm the morning after. For that one I didn't bother browning the meat - just cooked it at about 150 degrees for three or so hours. These sort of dishes always taste best the next day, and this one tasted fantastic cos it didn't need to go into the fridge until the next day.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Skorms-Boss 30 Oct 2009 08:49:07 347 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get tin(s) of chicken in white sauce from supermarket
    Get Flaky Pastry from supermarket
    Put chicken in oval oven dish
    chuck in black pepper, mushrooms and onions to taste
    cover with pastry
    cook

    Ta Da! easy home made pie!
  • LeoliansBro 30 Oct 2009 09:10:21 43,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two cubed chicken breasts. Two finely diced onions. Large glass of red wine. Large spoonful of Harissa paste. Glug of oil. Cook in pan in order: oil, onions on low heat until gloopy, chicken on medium heat until sealed, everything on high heat until reduced. Serve with wild rice, and you've already got a bottle of red open to drink with it.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • smoothpete 30 Oct 2009 09:14:35 31,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Put the following things in a big pot

    Some chunks of stewing steak
    Big bits of carrot
    Big bits of parsnip
    Chunks of onion
    3 tablespoons of bisto gravy
    2 bay leafs
    pint of guinness or ale
    salt & pepper

    Put it in the oven on about 160 for 3 hours. Can't go wrong
  • LeoliansBro 30 Oct 2009 09:21:43 43,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fish in foil is also virtually impossible to fuck up and looks dead impressive.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply