Agassi took crystal meth

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 28 Oct 2009 10:59:29 86,985 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shocking stuff from The Times:

Andre Agassi makes the sensational confession today that he lied to the tennis authorities to escape a ban for taking hard drugs.

The American, one of the finest players to grace the game, tested positive for the highly addictive drug, crystal methamphetamine, and then duped the Association of Tennis Professionals into believing he had taken it by accident.

The admissions come in a soul-searching autobiography that is being serialised exclusively today and tomorrow in The Times.

The 1992 Wimbledon champion, the winner of eight grand-slam titles, also says that he has always secretly hated playing tennis and lived in fear of his bad-tempered and violent father.

Agassi, now 39, relates how he took crystal meth — possession of which carries a maximum five-year jail sentence in the US — in 1997, when his form was falling and he was having doubts about his impending marriage to the actress, Brooke Shields.

Had the positive drugs test become public, the repercussions for Agassi could have been catastrophic. It remains to be seen whether repercussions will follow his confession.

In his book, Agassi recounts sitting at home with his assistant, referred to only as Slim, and being introduced to the drug. “Slim is stressed too ... He says, You want to get high with me? On what? Gack. What the hell’s gack? Crystal meth. Why do they call it gack? Because that’s the sound you make when you’re high ... Make you feel like Superman, dude.

“As if they’re coming out of someone else’s mouth, I hear these words: You know what? F*** it. Yeah. Let’s get high.

“Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table. He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some. I ease back on the couch and consider the Rubicon I’ve just crossed.

“There is a moment of regret, followed by vast sadness. Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I’ve never felt so alive, so hopeful — and I’ve never felt such energy.

“I’m seized by a desperate desire to clean. I go tearing around my house, cleaning it from top to bottom. I dust the furniture. I scour the tub. I make the beds.”

In the autumn of a year in which he pulled out of the French Open and did not bother to practise for Wimbledon, Agassi is walking through New York’s LaGuardia airport when he gets a phone call from a doctor working with the ATP.

“There is doom in his voice, as if he’s going to tell me I’m dying,” Agassi writes. “And that’s exactly what he tells me.”

Agassi learns that he has failed a drugs test. “He reminds me that tennis has three classes of drug violation,” Agassi writes. “Performance-enhancing drugs ... would constitute a Class 1, he says, which would carry a suspension of two years. However, he adds, crystal meth would seem to be a clear case of Class 2. Recreational drugs.” That would mean a three-month suspension.

“My name, my career, everything is now on the line. Whatever I’ve achieved, whatever I’ve worked for, might soon mean nothing. Days later I sit in a hard-backed chair, a legal pad in my lap, and write a letter to the ATP. It’s filled with lies interwoven with bits of truth.

“I say Slim, whom I’ve since fired, is a known drug user, and that he often spikes his sodas with meth — which is true. Then I come to the central lie of the letter. I say that recently I drank accidentally from one of Slim’s spiked sodas, unwittingly ingesting his drugs. I ask for understanding and leniency and hastily sign it: Sincerely.

“I feel ashamed, of course. I promise myself that this lie is the end of it.” The ATP reviewed the case — and threw it out.
  • Stickman 28 Oct 2009 11:02:12 29,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At least it wasn't cough medicine.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• sirtacos 28 Oct 2009 11:04:18 7,273 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least he wasn't caught with a bong. Just think of the outrage...
  • mingster 28 Oct 2009 11:05:13 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd like to try some its supposed to be good .. no?
  • Juninho 28 Oct 2009 11:25:46 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crystal Meth makes you want to clean your house?

Rock and roll
  • Menace 28 Oct 2009 12:21:25 5,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Obligatory -> a:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=da&tab=wi" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">faces of crystal meth..

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• DaM 28 Oct 2009 12:26:28 12,991 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mingster wrote:
    I'd like to try some its supposed to be good .. no?

Mind and post your before and after pics here!
  • Deleted user 28 October 2009 12:27:20
    Seems like the kinda thing you'd want to keep your mouth shut about.
  • Menace 28 Oct 2009 12:31:41 5,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Seems like the kinda thing you'd want to keep your mouth shut about.

Which makes it more admirable to me. To me he exposes that he's not perfect and sends a message to the fans that follow(ed) him and people who'd want to follow in his footsteps.

Because this is EG I feel the need for a disclaimer: the message isn't that you should lie, obviously, but that you shouldn't do drugs! ;)

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• Genji 28 Oct 2009 12:32:43 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He should've just taken the three month suspension. It's hardly career-destroying.
  • Metalfish 28 Oct 2009 12:37:24 8,818 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like a good way to ensure god sales for his book and make sure he has plenty of cash post career, if you ask me (which you didn't).
  • ram 28 Oct 2009 12:40:28 3,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    a sportsperson taking drugs is hardly shocking stuff.

• crispyduckman 28 Oct 2009 12:44:24 1,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, that sounds like what a normal person would do.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• kalel 28 Oct 2009 12:46:45 86,985 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ram wrote:

Something like steroids wouldn't be, but a great champion of the past admitting he took one of the most dangerous and addicitve recreational drugs around, at the peak of his career, is pretty shocking imo.
  • Dougs 28 Oct 2009 12:51:02 67,191 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Juninho wrote:
    Crystal Meth makes you want to clean your house?

Rock and roll

Seem to remember Louis Theroux interviewing a former addict and she said the same. Except in sobriety she admitted that all she would be doing for hours was cleaning the same bit of table and not the whole house as she thought.
  • ram 28 Oct 2009 12:52:17 3,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ram wrote:

Something like steroids wouldn't be, but a great champion of the past admitting he took one of the most dangerous and addicitve recreational drugs around, at the peak of his career, is pretty shocking imo.

Peak of his career? He was shit in '97, his career picked up again soon after, pretty much proving without doubt that drugs do work kids.

• HoraceGoesSquiffy 28 Oct 2009 12:54:13 1,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it me or does meth make you look like Tracey Emin?

• sirtacos 28 Oct 2009 12:54:32 7,273 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seem to remember Louis Theroux interviewing a former addict and she said the same. Except in sobriety she admitted that all she would be doing for hours was cleaning the same bit of table and not the whole house as she thought.

/steps away from squeegee
    /puts down crystal meth
  • pistol 28 Oct 2009 13:40:29 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    He should've just taken the three month suspension. It's hardly career-destroying.

Yes, but at his peak it was a lot more than the tennis. He was one of the most marketable sports stars in the world and that would have damaged his image considerably.

Even when he was playing badly he was still big.
  • crispyduckman 28 Oct 2009 13:47:05 1,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd love read that letter. I bet it's hilarious.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Khanivor 28 Oct 2009 13:50:29 40,544 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ram wrote:

Think how many sport stars have been caught using recreational drugs. Think how many latter fessed up to it so as to spice up their stories once the career is over. Then multiply that by a number and you'll have an idea as to the percentage of sports stars who use drugs. I'm going to guess it's fairly in line with the general population numbers, with the risks of testing being outweighed by the gobs of money and the world of celebrity fame.

I think it would be rather illuminating if every member of Parliament - obviously not the band - was given a surprise drugs test.
  • sport 28 Oct 2009 13:52:02 12,694 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HoraceGoesSquiffy wrote:
    Is it me or does meth make you look like Tracey Emin?

Would. Would. Would. Would.
    Would. Would. Would. Might.
  • pistol 28 Oct 2009 14:02:41 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting article

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/293/

• mrpon 1 Nov 2009 11:00:16 28,760 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Even when he was playing badly he was still wearing a wig.
    I'm sorry but that article is hilarious!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Genji 1 Nov 2009 11:09:14 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If anything, this is further proof of the impotence of the official world tennis bodies. To let Agassi get away with such a bullshit excuse shows them up for how weak they really are.

See also: Serena Williams making death threats against a lineswoman more than a month ago... and the officials are still umming and ahhing about whether she should get more than a $10,000 (lol) fine. Unbelievable.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2009 15:13:02
    Genji wrote:
    If anything, this is further proof of the impotence of the official world tennis bodies. To let Agassi get away with such a bullshit excuse shows them up for how weak they really are.

See also: Serena Williams making death threats against a lineswoman more than a month ago... and the officials are still umming and ahhing about whether she should get more than a $10,000 (lol) fine. Unbelievable.

Agreed. This whole story is amazing. He took an illegal drug and lied and it looks like nothing is going to happen.
  • Psychotext 1 Nov 2009 15:24:15 53,947 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    lol... I was just reading up on this and saw this quote:

I don't know why she felt threatened.
    You know what, I'm a bloke with a fairly good fitness / build, with years of martial arts and regional level kick boxing behind me... and I'd feel pretty threatened if that fucking monster started screaming at me. :D
  • heyyo 1 Nov 2009 15:49:51 14,373 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would turn me on. Wrap those monster thighs around my head and squeeze me euphoric!
  • Psychotext 1 Nov 2009 15:54:16 53,947 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    heyyo likes the muscled ones. :D
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous