I wish to end my neighbours Page 3

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• nickthegun 19 Jul 2012 11:51:30 59,525 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's identified himself as a crank and cranks aren't worth bothering with. Just ignore him.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Lukus 19 Jul 2012 11:52:21 19,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Put another identical one up right next to it, just to spite him.

Paintings & Photographs

• glaeken 19 Jul 2012 11:52:36 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JuanKerr Prolong what problem? Do you ever need to actually speak to your neighbour? You may be prolonging their internal perturbation over the offending item but I have no problem living with that personally.

The guy sounds like an arse who is always going to have something to moan about so it's not like some great relationship is being lost.

If they ever actually approach you to speak about it I would just come up with some equally petty counter complaint about their property e.g. the colour of his front door makes you feel sick so can he please change it. It could all get quite fun.

Edited by glaeken at 11:54:29 19-07-2012
  • glaeken 19 Jul 2012 11:52:41 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • askew 19 Jul 2012 11:53:15 12,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    effinjamie wrote:
    To be perfectly honest though, any fence you put up, he should be coughing up 50% of the cash.
    Nope. I'm pretty sure that each householder is responsible for the fence on one side of their garden. Or is that an urban myth.
    Gotta read the deeds, man.
  • kalel 19 Jul 2012 11:58:09 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all about the deeds, there is no rule, but in this case it's not mentioned so it basically comes down to precedence.

I don't want to get into a 50/50 thing with him. As I see it, the choice he has is take ownership of the fence entirely and do whatever he wants (and pay for it), or accept I have ownership and I can do whatever I want.

I really think that's reasonable and I'm more than happy if he wants to take ownership.
  • glaeken 19 Jul 2012 12:01:48 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just thought of another good option. Paint it fluorescent orange. When they complain about that say you did it to highlight the hazardous object and comply with the highway code.
  • kalel 19 Jul 2012 12:05:03 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still don't really want to antagonise the guy or let this develop into a proper feud, but I think I've been to placid up to this point and he now thinks I'm a bit of a pushover. In the past I've had really serious issues with neighbours and I don't want to get back to that point, but I've had enough of his bullshit as well.
  • effinjamie 19 Jul 2012 12:05:33 882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When we had to replace both fences (not at the same time), we came to an agreement with each neighbour to pay 50%, which I didn't think was unreasonable. But then again neither me or them are cunts!

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Load_2.0 19 Jul 2012 12:05:40 19,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My house is the "bad neighbour" arguements, boozy parties, loud music, in a quiet street.

But if he hates the fence tell him he can replace it at his expense, are his children mongoloids or Olympic hurdlers? If not he STFU.
  • Lukus 19 Jul 2012 12:07:44 19,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be tempted to put up a load of evergreens, if only to block the fucker out.

Paintings & Photographs

• X201 19 Jul 2012 12:13:06 15,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that each householder is responsible for the fence on one side of their garden. Or is that an urban myth.
    Generally true, although its not a hard and fast rule.

It should be mentioned on your deeds/plans. Failing that, the local council legal dept. will be able to give you a definitive answer.
  • Deckard1 19 Jul 2012 12:13:41 27,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Put a tiny little fence with rounded edges around it, with tiny signs up saying "Danger: Fence" next to it. Then shit through his letterbox.

Hush you ponce

• kalel 19 Jul 2012 12:14:56 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Generally your fence is the one on the left when you're facing your house. If you think about the logic, if number 1 on the street is starting from the left (as is common) then that's why.

It's just a general rule though and you can potentially own the other one, or even both.
  • Load_2.0 19 Jul 2012 12:15:11 19,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha a danger sign is hilarious. Do it!
  • DaM 19 Jul 2012 12:21:45 12,996 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sport wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Hmm, maybe sanding the tops is the solution.
    Yup, sand them so they're rounded on the top.

Then paint them pink, and plant some brown bush at the base.
    With an innovative sprinkler system coming out the top.

Build it and it will cum. sorry
  • Blotto 19 Jul 2012 12:36:29 2,774 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think just having a chat is the best solution, you'll quickly realise whether this is just a really protective guy with genuine complaints who can be reasonable (then proceed with the sanding of the tops - feud avoided) or an arse looking for a fight (then offer him the option to take charge of the fence or fuck off - end of feud, hopefully)

Basically, if you haven't actually had a sit down proper chat with this guy that's the best option. If your only really interaction with this guy is when he's complaining then obviously he's going to seem like an unreasonable guy. Who knows, he could well have had shitty neighbours before who constantly refused his polite requests to sort it out and has decided he won't stand for it with the new guys.
  • DaM 19 Jul 2012 12:39:40 12,996 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    I think just having a chat is the best solution, you'll quickly realise whether this is just a really protective guy with genuine complaints who can be reasonable (then proceed with the sanding of the tops - feud avoided) or an arse looking for a fight (then offer him the option to take charge of the fence or fuck off - end of feud, hopefully)

Basically, if you haven't actually had a sit down proper chat with this guy that's the best option. If your only really interaction with this guy is when he's complaining then obviously he's going to seem like an unreasonable guy. Who knows, he could well have had shitty neighbours before who constantly refused his polite requests to sort it out and has decided he won't stand for it with the new guys.
    What sort of reasonable nonsense is this? Maybe worth a try though - take off one of the stakes and stab him through the heart if he disagrees.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 12:40:26 23,897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wait till he's asleep then jam a bloody fence tip into his kitchen table.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• kalel 19 Jul 2012 12:45:00 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We've had plenty of interaction over the years regarding lots of issues - shared gutters, a bit of roof that needed mending etc. We've always been amenable and helpful and he's always been slightly aggressive and quite patronising.

We know that the last people that lived in our house had serious issues and it was a big reason why they moved, so we've always tried to not let it escalate, but again, I feel our stance is actually now making it worse.

I need to find the middle ground where it's not a feud, but I'm assertive enough so he stops thinking he can bully us, which he clearly thinks he can.

To be clear I really don't think he has any real grievance with our fence. It's really not dangerous.
  • AceGrace 19 Jul 2012 12:52:29 1,091 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would just say that you have spent your alloted money on that fence and cannot afford to change it unless he wants to pay half.

People can't have a go at you if you are reasonable and smiling.

I often find pleading poverty usually makes these problems go away. If he really wants it done he will do it himself.

Also, some people are arseholes. Sounds like this bloke will moan about anything. Just keep saying hello when you see him and other than that ignore all the moans.
  • AceGrace 19 Jul 2012 12:53:20 1,091 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    We've had plenty of interaction over the years regarding lots of issues - shared gutters, a bit of roof that needed mending etc. We've always been amenable and helpful and he's always been slightly aggressive and quite patronising.
    On the shared stuff, did he contribute?
  • Buztafen 19 Jul 2012 12:54:47 16,194 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He sounds like a tool. Hit him with a tool.
  • kalel 19 Jul 2012 12:55:33 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've always made a point of not sharing stuff. So with the gutter, it was our side that came away and pulled his down, so I paid. With the roof it was an issue with his side, so he paid.

I'm keen to continue this precedent if at all possible. It's better in my experience. It's pretty rare that something happens that is genuinely an equally shared issue.
  • AceGrace 19 Jul 2012 12:58:43 1,091 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fair enough. How tall is the fence?
  • kalel 19 Jul 2012 13:02:22 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About three foot high ish.

I don't really think sanding the points would make it any less dangerous frankly. You'd have to fall on the fence from a significant height for them to actually pierce you. If you just tripped and fell on it, I suspect the sanded point woud do about as much damage as the non-sanded one.
  • Deckard1 19 Jul 2012 13:04:59 27,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He sounds like a cunt. Tell him you don't feel the fence is dangerous so its staying up. End of story. How old is he?

Hush you ponce

• kalel 19 Jul 2012 13:06:24 87,120 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's somewhere in his 40s I'd imagine.
  • Page

of 38 First / Last