I wish to end my neighbours Page 2

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:11:49
    **MEGA BUMP**

Think I'm on the verge of initiating beef with my neighbours. Always felt that being on good terms with your next door neighbours is of high importance and it can literally ruin your life if you're not, but I've had about as much as I can take.

Basically, the front fence between our houses was in a sorry state when we moved in, and when I met my neighbour for the first time, literally the first thing he said to me (in quite an arsey way) was "you need to sort that fence out".

Thing is, we didn't really have the money to do it, and it wasn't actually dangerous or anything, so we left it until other more pressing things with the house had been fixed.

So after three years of him occasionally bitching at me about the state of this fence, we've finally replaced it with an absolutely bog standard little picket fence, not unlike this. Finally I thought the matter could be put to bed.

Just found our that he's had a go at my wife saying the fence is spikey and dangerous, and that we need to replace it.

I can't see any way forward other than for me to tell him to fuck right off.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:15:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Impale him on the fence.

Neighbours suck, I hate mine too, the noisy bastards. Next time we move we're moving to the middle of a fucking field.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jul 2012 11:17:03 36,445 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I assume the fence is on your land? If so, I don't think he can do anything about it.

If he keeps moaning, stick a fucking massive 10 foot metal fence up, covered with razor wire and CCTV cameras.
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:20:55 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it isn't on his land he can shout all he likes. If he doesn't like it then that is just tough.

Easy for me to say I guess, I don't have to live with him next door.

Edited by L_Franko at 11:21:43 19-07-2012
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:21:16
    The fence is kinda on both people's land, but it's become established over time that it's the responsibility of my house. It's a little ambiguous though as it's not in either deeds so it's an odd one.

But anyway, I'm happy to take responsibility (and have) but yes, that being the case he can actually fuck off telling me what I can and can't have. It's not like I've put an electric fence up. It's a standard picket fence. It's not dangerous at all.

Think I'm going to give him the option of reimbursing me for the fence and then he can do whatever he wants there instead, or shutting the fuck up about the fence forever. Seems fair to me.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 11:22:20 25,628 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Our old neighbour ripped up her floorboards and made a fence out of them, all we could see was her nails etc sticking out of them facing us. Neighbours suck.

And yeah, if it's on your land then he can't do anything about it. Tell him to fuck off.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 11:23:54 25,628 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could always move it back a half metre or so if that's an option to make sure it's on your land, but I wouldn't bother. There's nothing wrong with that fence.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Blerk Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:24:02 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does he have a valid reason for being worried about a spiky fence? Tiny kids, or whatever? Or is he just a serial moaner?

We had a guy over the back from us used to moan continually about our large conifers blocking out the light from his garden, despite the fact that we trimmed them twice a year. When we had the extension built we had them all cut down and a six foot fence put up instead (conifers are DAMNED EXPENSIVE). And then he moaned about the lack of privacy and planted some big trees of his own.

/facepalm
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:29:08
    He's got kids yeah; so do we. Again, it's not electric. I can't really imagine any situation where it might be dangerous, at least no more so that anything is dangerous in unusual circumstances.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:31:02
    Generally it's not worth getting into feuds with neighbours, which something like this could easily become. Ask him what his concerns are and why and what he would suggest.

Unless they're really valid concerns that you just weren't aware of then you don't have to do anything after that, he'll just be happy that he's been consulted.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:31:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the fence is like the one in your picture then I imagine even the smallest of toddlers is just going to knock it down rather than become hideously maimed. It's not like it's made of metal and set in concrete or anything.

I suspect you have a perfectly valid case for telling him to go fuck himself.

Edit: Or what Aargh said, if you prefer the more diplomatic approach. :D

Edited by Blerk at 11:32:30 19-07-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:31:48 39,761 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm fed up of the police being called out on my neighbours to the left. We hear them arguing all the time and there were some guys shouting for some reason outside their house just last night. The woman who lives there was led away by the police in handcuffs at the end of last year, and a few weeks back we had CID knocking on our door asking if we knew where they were.

So yeah tell your neighbours to fucking do one.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:32:16
    If it is really spiky and potentially dangerous to a clumsy/retarded kid then just sand the tops a little.
  • DaM 19 Jul 2012 11:32:55 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd go traditional and stick severed heads on the spikes to protect his children from injury.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 11:33:35 25,628 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha they love a good moan don't they? We had an argument when my patents put up a conservatory about "blocking the light" and privacy when they were in their kitchen. It's made of glass you morons and why would we want to sit and watch you old bastards making your dinner?! We could do that already from our garden!

Old neighbour on other side maintained that we were slagging her off constantly and would sit with a glass against the wall whenever we had dinner...

• Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:34:29
    Hmm, maybe sanding the tops is the solution.
  • Alastair 19 Jul 2012 11:37:50 16,406 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There isn't really a need for a front fence anyway. Just take it down. :)

Maybe he just doesn't like the fence.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:39:48
    Having just paid for a new fence, I'm slightly loath to take it down again.
  • glaeken 19 Jul 2012 11:42:27 11,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why do anything? Just ignore them. Never give in to a moaning neighbour if their grievances seem to be in their head. It's setting a bad precedence.
  • sport 19 Jul 2012 11:42:32 12,811 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hmm, maybe sanding the tops is the solution.
    Yup, sand them so they're rounded on the top.

Then paint them pink, and plant some brown bush at the base.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 11:42:45 25,628 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should be able to put a picket fence in your garden for gods sake.

• Alastair 19 Jul 2012 11:42:51 16,406 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You should have asked me a couple of weeks ago. :)
  • megastar 19 Jul 2012 11:43:12 17,197 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get rid! I don't see the point of having a fence that could be trampled down by a small rodent?
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:45:10 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It sounds as though this guy is not looking to make friends at all so anything you do is going to be criticised. Sod him, he will just be another person in the world that doesn't get his way.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jul 2012 11:45:19 25,628 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Why do anything? Just ignore them. Never give in to a moaning neighbour if their grievances seem to be in their head. It's setting a bad precedence.
    This, really.

• effinjamie 19 Jul 2012 11:45:39 908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tell him to get fucked! To be perfectly honest though, any fence you put up, he should be coughing up 50% of the cash. Tell him if he wants to put up a more significant structure you'll pay half. That should shut him up.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• glaeken 19 Jul 2012 11:46:35 11,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You could just do the opposite of having a fence. Dig a moat.
  • mrpon 19 Jul 2012 11:46:42 29,566 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try and incorporate this into the design.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Alastair 19 Jul 2012 11:47:22 16,406 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    effinjamie wrote:
    To be perfectly honest though, any fence you put up, he should be coughing up 50% of the cash.
    Nope. I'm pretty sure that each householder is responsible for the fence on one side of their garden. Or is that an urban myth.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jul 2012 11:48:16 36,445 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I do agree that you shouldn't just give in and that you should definitely stand your ground. However, I don't think ignoring them helps - it might just prolong the problem.

Don't back down, but try your best to be polite and diplomatic about it. Neighbourhood disputes can get ugly and end up going on for years. It's just not worth it.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last