Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War OPEN BETA!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • monkeyman 3 Aug 2004 19:54:40 106 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just thought you'd all like to know that Fileplanet is offering signups to the Dawn of War open beta test on a first come, first serve basis. Better get over there quick....

http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/dawnofwar/signup/
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Aug 2004 20:01:51 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    its pretty decent, but hardly a warcraft III beater.
  • Khanivor 3 Aug 2004 22:03:09 41,239 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good shout, looking forward to givin this a test
  • Amajiro 3 Aug 2004 23:19:53 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up!

Strangely, I started the dl when you posted this. Including 90 minutes in the Fileplanet queue, I got all 600Mb in 3 hours (i.e. only 90 minutes of actual download).

The thing is, I'm on a 1Mb connection, and this was from an FP public server. I've just installed it and it's running fine so I definitely got all the data. Very odd indeed.
  • Khanivor 4 Aug 2004 03:22:08 41,239 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Am back from pub, waiting for q. Can we play multi, and if so who's for a go?
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Aug 2004 15:04:44 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Signed up for the beta this morning and just played it a little. Seems like it could be pretty interesting, although after just 15 minutes of play I'm not really able to form an opinion one way or the other.

Have any of you folks put any time into the game? What did you think?
  • Amajiro 5 Aug 2004 15:06:45 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:

And it's a lot like Warcraft 3. Tbh I'm disappointed they weren't more innovative in the game mechanics - in a lot of ways it's just a by-the-numbers RTS in a 40K setting.
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Aug 2004 15:09:54 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:

And it's a lot like Warcraft 3. Tbh I'm disappointed they weren't more innovative in the game mechanics - in a lot of ways it's just a by-the-numbers RTS in a 40K setting.

I was actually very disappointed with Warcraft 3 - it never really engaged me. If Dawn of War is just "by-the-numbers" then it's a real missed opportunity!

Ah well - I'll plough a few hours into it this evening and see what the deal is.
  • martyngates 5 Aug 2004 15:16:57 1,752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    where do you donwload it from? im signed up and have the just been given the key but doenst have any links to the download?
  • Phattso Moderator 5 Aug 2004 15:21:02 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    martyngates wrote:
    where do you donwload it from? im signed up and have the just been given the key but doenst have any links to the download?

Try this link.

If that doesn't work, just go to www.fileplanet.com and there's a download link from the front page beneath the Dawn of War image.
  • Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2004 11:23:13 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I put a good couple of hours into this last night, and I must say it was really enjoyable.

It's certainly not pushing too many boundaries, but being able to "attach" certain advanced units to standard squads was a nice; as was being able to upgrade a unit en situ with certain items (although C&C Generals has this feature for certain units, too).

Having "proper" physics in there for the explosions, which send the combatants flying, really adds to the effect of a hostile confrontation for me. Even if it is a little bit comical from time to time seeing 20+ armoured marines pirouetting through the air. ;)

And the graphics were pretty nice, too, which is always a bonus.

Only tried the Space Marines last night, but I'm definately going to try the other races over the weekend. I think this could turn out to be a tidy little game...
  • martyngates 6 Aug 2004 11:30:49 1,752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah, if youve ever been in into warhammer 40k, the sight of your troops going into battle is exactly as youve always imagined it

and drednaughts kick ass!

sucked away a large portion of my night and didnt even get online!

the tutorial was of no help tho! havent played anything like this since starcraft/c+c tiberian sun, so was a bit difficult to get the hang of and could have used a decent introduction to units getting resources etc
  • Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2004 11:33:56 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    and drednaughts kick ass!

"Ready to give my life for the Imperium...again." Quality line. ;-)

the tutorial was of no help tho! havent played anything like this since starcraft/c+c tiberian sun, so was a bit difficult to get the hang of and could have used a decent introduction to units getting resources etc

Yeah, I ignored the tutorial and just ploughed through the game. It strikes me that it's just a placeholder system for now - I'd expect the final game to feature a better intro to the game mechanics.
  • Phattso Moderator 8 Aug 2004 13:19:22 13,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is anyone still up for a game of this?

I'm based in the UK and it seems that the server is mainly populated by Americans, which makes the lag too much of an issue to enjoy the game.

So, if there are any takers let's get a game arranged. I tire of replaying the tutorial level over and over. ;-)

• Freek 8 Aug 2004 14:28:42 7,684 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get some of the heavier mech like units or things with arms to atack light infantry, that's brutal stuff.

It's by the numbers, well yes and no, the recource model is slightly tweaked, you're not mining anything, it's more like Ground Control 2. Sort of a mix of the unsual unit building and ground controls strategic map point capturing.

Anybody know how you get those huge dragons and monsters you see in the screenshots?
    Like this
  • Rincewind 8 Aug 2004 20:12:25 1,399 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Freek, that's a bloodthirster. Basically I think you need a Chaos Lord and then you need to requisition a bloodthirster. Once you've done that the Chaos Lord will have an additional icon when you select him. The animation as he turns into the bloodthirster is awesome.

They've built some very powerful daemons into the game which is great for demolishing a load of troops but does slightly take away the strategic element of the game. All you need is a couple of daemons to annihilate the opposition as they're so difficult to take down.
  • Tiger_Walts 9 Sep 2004 21:49:12 16,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For those that missed the beta: here's the demo!

Gamespot
    3DGamers

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• phAge 9 Sep 2004 22:00:00 24,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rincewind wrote:
    Freek, that's a bloodthirster. Basically I think you need a Chaos Lord and then you need to requisition a bloodthirster. Once you've done that the Chaos Lord will have an additional icon when you select him. The animation as he turns into the bloodthirster is awesome.

They've built some very powerful daemons into the game which is great for demolishing a load of troops but does slightly take away the strategic element of the game. All you need is a couple of daemons to annihilate the opposition as they're so difficult to take down.

Which is a bit unrealistic, IMO. A twin lascannon, multimelta or assaultcannon rips any Greater Demon a new one in WH40K. Or so Ive heard.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 14:25:50
    Just found this game unopened, bin or worth playing?
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Jan 2013 14:27:23 9,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play it!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Jan 2013 14:29:27 2,300 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play it!
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 14:32:17
    Okay will install it later, found this and sim city 3000 and total annihilation in my clear out.

Oh how my gaming has changed, used to be strategic or thinking games always.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 14:33:52
    graysonavich wrote:
    Totally worth a 9 year bump.
    Yeah totally, sorry pecker. Next time I will either start a new thread or bump a day of the tentacle thread asking about dawn of war.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 14:34:44 44,939 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread is almost as old as those pics you used of yourself.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 14:38:53
    I'd like to join the Beta please.
  • GuiltySpark 29 Jan 2013 14:39:08 6,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    Totally worth a 9 year bump.
    Yeah totally, sorry pecker. Next time I will either start a new thread or bump a day of the tentacle thread asking about dawn of war.
    Or just make your own decisions - it's possible, y'know,

Get bent.

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 14:42:06
    graysonavich wrote:
    You'd probably get more from going to youtube and typing "dawn of war gameplay" and watching a 3 minute clip, rather than asking "is a game worth playing?" in a 9 year old thread, is what I'm saying.
    True but the same could be applied to all games. Everyday on here people ask others opinion on games, often as they probably value some of their opinions. Makes no difference if it is dawn of war or halo.
  • GuiltySpark 29 Jan 2013 14:45:34 6,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    You'd probably get more from going to youtube and typing "dawn of war gameplay" and watching a 3 minute clip, rather than asking "is a game worth playing?" in a 9 year old thread, is what I'm saying.
    True but the same could be applied to all games. Everyday on here people ask others opinion on games, often as they probably value some of their opinions. Makes no difference if it is dawn of war or halo.
    This game is so old that every opinion everybody has ever had of it, is written down somewhere.

Get bent.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous