asda launch prices

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 13:29:24
    Hello, and happy wednesday.

I've noticed the last two weeks (FIFA & Operation Flashpoint) asda have been selling them at 27, but only on the day of launch, they pop straight back up to 37 or so the next day.

Is this a new thing they are doing anyone know? Because if it is I don't mind stopping pre-ordering games and getting to Asda before work.

cheers!
  • Hermiod 14 Oct 2009 13:36:50 3,702 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They're in a price war with Tesco and the other supermarkets. They're selling these games at minimal profit or even at a loss in order to get you in to the store where, they hope, you'll buy other things at the same time.
  • Flying_Pig 14 Oct 2009 13:40:07 10,860 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I though this thread was about the price of Asda's sandwiches...

/leaves thread
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 13:42:21
    Hermiod wrote:
    They're in a price war with Tesco and the other supermarkets. They're selling these games at minimal profit or even at a loss in order to get you in to the store where, they hope, you'll buy other things at the same time.

Ah I see, so do you think it will continue into November, or is it worth playing safe and pre ordering then?

And there plan worked, I bought a mars bar and a four pack of wine glasses with OF2.
  • Syrette 14 Oct 2009 13:43:11 43,242 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd do it for MW2, but the queues will be ridiculous.

• DFawkes 14 Oct 2009 13:43:28 22,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd bet a copy of Modern Warfare II that Modern Warfare II will be reduced first day.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• dirk_aircool 14 Oct 2009 13:50:58 114 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I havent seen games at my local asda on release day for 27-00, do u think its a local thing ? they never sell games at a loss , or anything for that matter.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 13:55:06
    Got no asda within a few miles (walking distance, basically) so wonderin' if Sainsbury's will be doing cheap games n'all. They did FIFA 10 for 25 quid so...
  • Hermiod 14 Oct 2009 13:55:44 3,702 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I expect it will continue, even though the industry doesn't like it. Even Game can't compete with the supermarkets, so how smaller retailers are supposed to I do not know.

• Nexus_6 14 Oct 2009 14:01:37 3,876 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dirk_aircool wrote:
    I havent seen games at my local asda on release day for 27-00, do u think its a local thing ? they never sell games at a loss , or anything for that matter.

Asda in Glasgow were selling OFP2 on Monday there for 27. I fucked them over BIG TIME by marching straight in there and only buying that and NOTHING else.

Will they recover do you think?
  • kinky_mong 14 Oct 2009 14:04:21 10,107 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    dirk_aircool wrote:

Asda in Glasgow were selling OFP2 on Monday there for 27. I fucked them over BIG TIME by marching straight in there and only buying that and NOTHING else.

Will they recover do you think?

Nice one Nexus, you've totally fucked up ASDA. Thousands of people will lose their jobs because of you.

I hope you bought it using a self service checkout as well, that way they'll sack even more staff.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Benno 14 Oct 2009 14:05:33 9,835 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am going to go in to buy the game, then not buy the game and instead buy some over priced tinned chopped tomatos.

This should hopefully neutralise the actions of Nexus and prevent ASDA from entering administration.
  • figgis 14 Oct 2009 14:13:29 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I going to go in and shit on the floor. Not sure what effect this will have TBH.

We should use this thread for supermarket launch day bargains.
  • turingsway 14 Oct 2009 14:18:45 185 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you reckon any supermarkets will be selling Brutal Legend on the cheap? Not convinced about it enough for 40 but would definatly buy for anything less than 30.
  • Nexus_6 14 Oct 2009 14:38:35 3,876 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha! I knew when i was purchasing it there was something going on. The cashier just kinda looked sad and his eyes welled up. I walked out imagining him going home to his large family and young wife in utter, abject defeat having been made redundant there and then.

I didn't think about the self service checkout. Might go back and get another copy and do that for maximum damage.
  • RedSparrows 14 Oct 2009 14:39:46 22,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably not. CHOICE!they scream, and CHOICE! they take away.

/cynic
  • kipper 14 Oct 2009 14:40:56 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As an ex-pat Brit, this thread is making me all teary-eyed.
    Here in The Netherlands all the the supermarkets sell is groceries...... No games, electronics, clothes,...just food and the odd girlie mag. (sobs).

Gamertag: Brit anime fan

• MrE26 14 Oct 2009 14:42:30 1,926 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    I'd do it for MW2, but the queues will be ridiculous.
    You can pre-order from Asda now, so queuing up for hours at midnight isn't necessary.
  • midnight_walker 14 Oct 2009 14:57:29 1,918 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be aware that using the self-service checkout will still require some shop monkey to come over and allow you to buy it if it has any kind of age rating on it.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 14:58:49
    Hermiod wrote:
    I expect it will continue, even though the industry doesn't like it.

I'm genuinely curious as to what part of the industry doesn't like it? If you mean other retailers then I can live with that.

If it's cheaper to buy the game new at Asda than second-hand at CEX or something then that's a good thing.

• kipper 14 Oct 2009 15:02:57 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    kipper wrote:
    As an ex-pat Brit, this thread is making me all teary-eyed.
    Here in The Netherlands all the the supermarkets sell is groceries...... No games, electronics, clothes,...just food and the odd girlie mag. (sobs).

My local Sainsbury's is surprisingly bad at stocking actual food, which I thought was its main purpose. They hardly ever have any loose potatoes for example.

Hmm, loose potatoes.
    I don't know why, but now I'm suddenly remembering the advert for Smash with the alien robots pointing and laughing.

Am I showing my age to all the young whipper-snappers?

• midnight_walker 14 Oct 2009 15:04:15 1,918 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is other retailers that don't like it. They say they're denying customers choice. Of course they're not. They can quite easily choose to go and be bum-raped by Game instead of saving a wedge at Asda.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 15:04:29
    Brilliant. For mash get Smash!
  • kipper 14 Oct 2009 15:18:18 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Found it! Huzzah for the internet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E&feature=player_embedded

• Kanga 14 Oct 2009 19:00:42 10 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hermiod wrote:
    I expect it will continue, even though the industry doesn't like it. Even Game can't compete with the supermarkets, so how smaller retailers are supposed to I do not know.

My indie can only compete by breaking street dates. Seems people are willing to pay full price if they can get the big titles early.
  • Dodgymat 14 Oct 2009 19:08:34 913 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    It is other retailers that don't like it. They say they're denying customers choice. Of course they're not. They can quite easily choose to go and be bum-raped by Game instead of saving a wedge at Asda.

I'm cancelling my pre-order at shopto and going to GAME on launch day for the first time ever, and not to get "bum-raped". My reasons are that Royal Mail will inevitably cause postal havoc from next week onwards, and the fact that GAME are selling it for 50% off if I hand them my 2 year old COD4 that's worth 15 tops on ebay.

Bargain :)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous