Best E-Book Readers Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• ilmaestro 14 Oct 2009 02:43:54 32,465 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, I was impressed when I saw that hyperlinks carry over, neat touch.

dangerpuss wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    The Reader isn't limited to BBeB now, you can convert to ePub instead if you like. Haven't had any problems converting books to read on the Reader with Calibre. And whilst the touch screens are not as good as the screen in the 505, the screen in the 600 has come on a ton from the 700, and doesn't cause any significant problems when reading (unless you're actually trying to set up an environment to show it at its worst) imo.

Calibre does ePub well but not LRF (BBeB). LRF is better on the 505 due to it having full justification and proper pagination. ePub only has left justification which leaves a ragged right margin and the page numbers are in the margin on the right and are tiny. These are limitations of the Adobe software used on the Reader.
    You're not the guy who wanted to mark down SFIV because of the backing guitar being half an octave high on the soundtrack, are you?

• rare_uk 14 Oct 2009 06:21:18 3,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AlMcD wrote:
    I have half a feeling that this area is something Apple are going to get involved with at some point.
    Not fully read the threasd yet but I use my 1st Gen Apple iPOD Touch with Stanza (which is free) - I love it. Also I believe Amazon Kindle will be using Stanza too....that was the rumour a few months back
  • DaM 14 Oct 2009 06:59:08 13,362 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

AlMcD wrote:
    I have half a feeling that this area is something Apple are going to get involved with at some point.

I imagine their much rumored iTablet thing (a 10" iPhone) will be well suited for this. In fact, if it does launch, I reckon it will blow all other eReaders out of the water.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Oct 2009 08:20:47 35,723 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rare uk wrote:
    AlMcD wrote:
    Not fully read the threasd yet but I use my 1st Gen Apple iPOD Touch with Stanza (which is free) - I love it. Also I believe Amazon Kindle will be using Stanza too....that was the rumour a few months back

It's a bit expensive, but I've not really used Stanza since I bought Eucalyptus. The differences are subtle (typography, "structured" paper), but the effect is huge. It's a lot more pleasant to use than Stanza. Only works with Project Gutenberg though, mind.
  • THFourteen 14 Oct 2009 08:36:03 33,939 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nothing wrong with the iphone and stanza imo

especially now it can convert any type of file pretty much.
  • Maturin 14 Oct 2009 08:41:37 3,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I use mobi-reader on my Nokia N96 which is quite good. However my first choice when out and about is to use my Cowon S9 media player. It has a gorgeous OLED screen that's easy on the eye and a good in-built reader. It also means I have access to my entire CD collection while I'm reading.
  • morriss 14 Oct 2009 09:04:45 71,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    The 505 is a great buy if you can find somewhere still stocking it. Show Calibre on your computer and it takes the place of the synching software and will convert pretty much any format. I love the 505 and it does exactly what I need a reader to do, which is let me read books. The touch screen models are marred by the touchscreen membrane affecting clarity and AFAIK the 505 is the only one with a metal casing. It's replacement doesn't have an SD and MS slot either :/

Play.com still stock the 505.
    So you'd take it over the kindle?
  • Aranel 14 Oct 2009 09:26:47 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dangerpuss wrote:
    The PRS-505 is very good but it's been discontinued and more will not be manufactured. There are issues with both of the new versions (Pocket and Touch).

What sort of issues? Will it affect the average, non-technical user?

Also, are they all pretty much of a muchness when it comes to putting the books on the device (assuming no converting will be going on)?
  • morriss 14 Oct 2009 09:28:25 71,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why would you want to convert if you get your books from the Sony Store? Or are we talking backdoor book downloading and then converting?
  • Aranel 14 Oct 2009 09:47:07 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Why would you want to convert if you get your books from the Sony Store? Or are we talking backdoor book downloading and then converting?

That's the point - there's not going to be any converting going on. If any converting needs to be done (although I think my favourite free bookstores (legit!) have formats most book readers can read), I'll do it and forward the books on. I'm more worried about how easy/difficult it is to get the books onto the readers and which are the most intuitive for non-techies.
  • morriss 14 Oct 2009 09:49:26 71,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:
    The 505 is a great buy if you can find somewhere still stocking it. Show Calibre on your computer and it takes the place of the synching software and will convert pretty much any format. I love the 505 and it does exactly what I need a reader to do, which is let me read books. The touch screen models are marred by the touchscreen membrane affecting clarity and AFAIK the 505 is the only one with a metal casing. It's replacement doesn't have an SD and MS slot either :/

Play.com still stock the 505.
    So you'd take it over the kindle?
    Yup. The 505 is about the size of a DVD case, the kindle is much bigger and has a lot of pointless features for a lot more money.
    So the wireless features - insta dictionary, buying books online anywhere - isn't a selling point?

Maybe the Daily Reader will be worth the wait?
  • JetSetWilly 14 Oct 2009 09:52:14 5,721 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked the look of the Kindle following the announcement the other day, but when I watched the promo trailer there seemed to be quite a pronounced screen flicker each time a page was turned (the action of which also seemed quite slow).

Is this just a feature of it being capture in video and it wouldn't look like that irl, because it rather put me off.
  • morriss 14 Oct 2009 10:52:30 71,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough. Again, I'm just weighing up the options and asking about what's on offer.

The Play.com link is very helpful. If I've got the dosh on the 1st I think I'll buy it.
  • yegon 14 Oct 2009 11:00:49 5,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had a 505 for approaching 2 years now, been a stellar purchase. I'd echo what others have said though and wait a bit, see how the Daily Edition pans out and what kind of pricing/service the Kindle will offer over here.

Personally, not a fan of the Kindle but that's largely because I use my 505 for my epic collection of dubiously obtained ebooks and manga - entirely doable on a Kindle as well of course, but slightly more hassle I'm led to believe.

I still buy hard copies of new stuff as I take serious issue with the pricing of ebooks. If you're willing to buy new ebooks though, the Kindle would probably be the best bet.

Copped a feel of the Sony Touch in a store, contrast isn't as good as the 505 or 300, but if I was after a direct 505 replacement I'd probably plump for it.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2009 15:02:54
    Aranel wrote:
    dangerpuss wrote:
    The PRS-505 is very good but it's been discontinued and more will not be manufactured. There are issues with both of the new versions (Pocket and Touch).

Also, are they all pretty much of a muchness when it comes to putting the books on the device (assuming no converting will be going on)?

The Pocket Edition has a smaller screen and the page turning button is right in the middle which looks a little uncomfortable. It's the most similar to the 505 though because it doesn't have a touch screen on top of the e-ink and is clearer than the Touch Editions.

The Touch Edition has a worse screen than the 505 because of the touch screen layer. And it's designed to be used with the Touch screen so the buttons are not well placed and look uncomfortable. It's better in almost every other way however.
  • ilmaestro 14 Oct 2009 16:54:39 32,465 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    dangerpuss wrote:

No.

dangerpuss wrote:
    The Touch Edition [is] designed to be used with the Touch screen so the buttons are not well placed and look uncomfortable.
    This has not been a problem for me.

morriss wrote:
    The Sony eBook story doesn't exist outside of the US (or, at least, it doesn't in the UK). In the UK, you buy books through WHSmith, Waterstones or (I think Borders is the third one, not used anyone apart from those two). The problem is a lack of range of books available straight-up in a format compatible with the reader, so some you will still need to convert. Also, if you can find a US site that doesn't have regional restrictions on purchases (most do, now, on a large number of their books), again you might find books you want that they aren't selling in the right format. Stripping DRM from, say, a mobipocket eBook and then converting is a pretty simple process, however.

• President_Weasel 14 Oct 2009 17:05:19 9,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:
    I tend to convert to lit, then I can shove them on my mobile too :)
    But then the files aren't compatible with the Reader, no?
    Odd. I'm sure the Bible I just shoved on it was in .lit format. Perhaps it converted it on the sly while I wasn't looking. It did leave all the hyperlinked chapters in though, which was nice.

God did it.
  • Gartt 7 Aug 2010 19:26:12 1,819 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread Ressurection.

So Ive been considering getting a reader seing as they seem to have dropped a bit in price recently, which is giving the best bang for the buck at the moment? I quite like the look of the new kindle, but im not really sure.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2010 19:57:41
    I would stay away from the 505 personally, despite the fact that it is aesthetically the best, I found it a buggy mess. The slightest little problem and the only solution I could find online was to just reset it and not touch it for a couple of days! The online support is non existent. The new Kindles look good, but I really don't know why they consist on filling up a third of it with a keyboard?! I would be all over one if there wasn't a big chunky and pointless keyboard filling half of it. Depending on what you read and where I would also give serious consideration to an iPad. Bloody expensive but you get much more bang for your buck than with the other ereaders.
  • yegon 7 Aug 2010 20:47:24 5,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I would stay away from the 505 personally, despite the fact that it is aesthetically the best, I found it a buggy mess. The slightest little problem and the only solution I could find online was to just reset it and not touch it for a couple of days!

Really? Wow. In the 2 years I had my 505 it was rock solid, maybe reset it 3 times the entire time I had it, and that's with very heavy usage. Made a little profit on mine too - I bought it from the states soon after it was originally released for about 160, and sold it on eBay for 175 shortly before I got my iPad :)

Id still use an e-ink device but the automatic place/bookmark syncing between iBooks on my iPhone and iPad is so useful I'd rarely use it.
  • RyanDS 8 Aug 2010 11:52:58 9,602 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd say get the 505. With an ebook reader I just want to read books, I don't see the point of frills and wasted space.

The kindle is nice, but so much extra wasted space on buttons (I honestly don't see the need for a keyboard) and such.

All the dice needs to do is last forever, turn the page and look good. As such I dislike touchscreen (grubby paw prints on screen) wifi, and all that malarky. Kindle also has the disadvantage of being linked to the store, whereas the Sony Reader you can do whatever you like with.

Edit: I've had my 505 just over a year and neverr had a single issue.
  • Shivoa 8 Aug 2010 12:07:13 5,677 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Isn't it the other way round? It's similar to DRM.

You want your content to be DRM free but for those times when DRM stores have incredible deals you want your device to support all the DRM under the Sun.

The Amazon store adds value to the Kindle, rather than removing it, by adding another avenue through with to purchase books. One that also syncs to the PC/iPhone/Android apps of Kindle but probably never to the 505 reader. From what I've read (thinking about a Kindle for Christmas, unless B&N do a Euro push with the Nook as that also looks quite nice) the Kindle is capable of viewing any non-DRM books just like the 505*; I'm not sure what the UK Sony book store is like (which I assume the Kindle would be blocked from accessing any DRM content on).

*At least it will be, given a quick formatting change with a PC app in the worst cases; best case it'll have native support.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2010 12:19:52
    God i must have been really unlucky. It might explain why i could find barely any help online. I would randomly get the problem where the screen would just freeze and then nothing. Couldn't turn it on, couldn't do anything with it. If my case is atypical then I would definitely recommend going for the 505. It worked brilliantly most of the time and was good. And the update made PDF reading better. Oh and the case is just lovely lol.

Edit: fucking iPad "correcting" everything.
  • yegon 8 Aug 2010 13:44:54 5,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    God i must have been really unlucky. It might explain why i could find barely any help online. I would randomly get the problem where the screen would just freeze and then nothing. Couldn't turn it on, couldn't do anything with it. If my case is atypical then I would definitely recommend going for the 505. It worked brilliantly most of the time and was good. And the update made PDF reading better. Oh and the case is just lovely lol.

Yeah, that does sound pretty unusual. I use to frequent the mobileread forums quite a lot for tips and tricks, I don't recall seeing many complaints.
  • RyanDS 8 Aug 2010 15:52:22 9,602 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Yeah, that does sound pretty unusual. I use to frequent the mobileread forums quite a lot for tips and tricks, I don't recall seeing many complaints.

Ditto for another anecdotal feedback.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 3 First / Last