Final Fantasy XIV Online Thread Page 2

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 19:02:25 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobJenx wrote:
    On the link below there is a hat and some glasses, I am confused which comes with the CE and which is a pre-order bonus :/

Also there is some FF13 code for another item, I am trying to scrounge that off someone who won't use it.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/

Oh, right, the Onion Helm comes with the CE, the Garlond Goggles comes with the Standard one. The Asuran Armbands seem to be available from the FF XIII promo code.

I think I'd prefer the goggles (speeds skill growth) but the helm (aids recovery after KO) will probably be just as useful.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2010 19:03:28
    @ecu,

Yeah thats pretty much the state it was in when I started. Now the jobs are more balanced, there are lots more of them, and there are a ton of changes to aid single play and also finding parties. Campaign mode gives you tons of solo xp, and they added this level sync thing which meant that you didn't have to be within a strict range in order to get xp, ie you could be level 75 and party with level 16 people in dunes, you just get reduced to level 16 and your gear gets scaled back.

I am excited for this game as taking into account the fact that they have learned some hard lessons with FFXI, XIV should be very good.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2010 19:05:04
    Hypercube wrote:
    RobJenx wrote:
    On the link below there is a hat and some glasses, I am confused which comes with the CE and which is a pre-order bonus :/

Also there is some FF13 code for another item, I am trying to scrounge that off someone who won't use it.

Oh, right, the Onion Helm comes with the CE, the Garlond Goggles comes with the Standard one. The Asuran Armbands seem to be available from the FF XIII promo code.

I think I'd prefer the goggles (speeds skill growth) but the helm (aids recovery after KO) will probably be just as useful.

I would rather have the bloody goggles than the helm but I will be getting the CE as its fairly cheap. Typical. I suppose I could always swap with someone.
  • ecureuil 1 Jul 2010 19:05:30 76,520 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Those sounds like pretty good changes.

Not going to go back to it though, MMO swallow too much time.
  • Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 19:05:36 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    There were times when I'd spent two hours waiting for a mage to join, then gave up. Other times we'd get a white mage, then they'd leave after 10 minutes. When you had a full group and were organised, it was a really fun game, but I probably spent more time trying to find a group than actually playing. I also got kicked from groups many times for not having good enough equipment.

Yes, this happened to me a lot as well, but the times when it all worked were brilliant. Levelling in Qufim Island was some of the best grouping I've had in an MMO.

Can't decide whether I'll go healer or tank in FFXIV. At least I can try them all out on one char!
  • Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 19:07:40 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobJenx wrote:
    Hypercube wrote:
    RobJenx wrote:

I would rather have the bloody goggles than the helm but I will be getting the CE as its fairly cheap. Typical. I suppose I could always swap with someone.

As it's the standard edition, I reckon their use in skill growth would probably run out after a week's worth of play. Probably in there so that SE owners can catch up with CE owners after their week's worth of early access.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2010 19:09:35
    Aye I suppose. They are probably a load of shit in the grand scheme of things anyway, like most of the event gear from FFXI, shitty moogle hats which give you a 1% bonus to something. Just end up taking space in your inventory.
  • Hypercube 15 Jul 2010 14:33:35 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, the first release date change has occurred! Just got an email from GAME telling me that now the CE will be released on the 30th of September, and not with a headstart of a week.

I'm trying to find information regarding the standard edition release date - to be honest, I only really wanted the CE for the headstart - considering that you don't get much interesting bonus stuff for the extra money, not having the headstart seems to be downgrading the CE's importance...

If anyone has any further info, I'd very much appreciate any and all news!
  • ZuluHero 15 Jul 2010 14:51:55 4,023 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Me too! If you find out anything in the meantime Hyper let me know (as i will you)
  • Murby 15 Jul 2010 16:34:25 235 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hypercube wrote:
    Well, the first release date change has occurred! Just got an email from GAME telling me that now the CE will be released on the 30th of September, and not with a headstart of a week.

I'm trying to find information regarding the standard edition release date - to be honest, I only really wanted the CE for the headstart - considering that you don't get much interesting bonus stuff for the extra money, not having the headstart seems to be downgrading the CE's importance...

If anyone has any further info, I'd very much appreciate any and all news!

Just got this as well, but even on the GAME website it still shows as 22nd of Sept. Checked play.com and there the same with 22nd and so is the official site, so f knows whats going on!
  • Kafeen 15 Jul 2010 17:11:17 552 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got the e-mails from Game too. First one saying it was changed to 30th, then another saying it was changed to the 22nd. I guess someone changed it when they weren't supposed to.
  • Hypercube 15 Jul 2010 18:43:09 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kafeen wrote:
    I got the e-mails from Game too. First one saying it was changed to 30th, then another saying it was changed to the 22nd. I guess someone changed it when they weren't supposed to.

Yeah, I just checked and I've got a second email changing it back to the 22nd as well! I guess user error can be blamed for this one ;)
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 19:04:12
    Im actually gutted that this is coming out so early, as my evil landlord wont let me put a BT line in my flat so im stuck with mobile broadband of all things. Still by November my lease will be up and i'll be out of here. There's something exciting about being at the start of something. I remember running around in Warcraft when it launched in the Undead starting zone with about 100 other people beating the shit out of mobs and queueing up to kill one quest mob (not realising at the time you could group together and you'd all get credit).

Guess there'll be plenty of info to help get me started by the time i get into FFXIV.
  • Prehensile_Plant 30 Jul 2010 18:33:50 417 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would love a beta key for this, was hoping EG would do one.
  • SClaw 26 Aug 2010 08:11:09 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bump for impending open beta...

An FYI... I believe it's not going to be very open. Anyone who was in closed beta will get a new key e-mailed to them for closed beta, which strongly suggests there will be limited keys or other limits on joining the "open" beta. Either way - I'm in!

One assumes the servers will have the same names in open... so does anyone in EG fancy jumping on the same server?
  • Hunam 26 Aug 2010 08:50:04 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would, but I honestly can't face playing the game again.
  • Hypercube 26 Aug 2010 12:59:24 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rodpad - there are many, many forum threads about the apparent weirdness of that benchmark! I think it's based on a beta build of the engine, and also that it's purposely loading a lot of resources for the scenes in order to test GPU memory n stuff as well.

I got 1600 @ 1920x1080 and 2800 @ 1280 x 720, but I've got an aging CPU and a GPU that is no longer the cutting edge it once was (8800 GTX). I'll either leave it as is and play in the lower resolution (which doesn't look half bad) or upgrade my GPU.
  • SClaw 26 Aug 2010 18:29:49 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently there will be a new, more reasonable benchmark tool out with the open beta.
  • The12thMonkey 27 Aug 2010 09:55:14 267 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Open Beta starts 2am on Wednesday 1st September. It's an odd time because they're global servers and that's about 7 or 8pm West Coast time.

Also: new trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-dfDTruMQ
  • Hypercube 27 Aug 2010 10:06:26 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darn it, I really want a beta key now!

Spent ages last night looking through pretty much all the videos available (bad cold + shitty weather = internet!) and now I really want to see it for myself. I've even thought about what class to play n all.

Def going to be a Duskwight Elezen, probably trying out the DoW classes first - my FFXI main was a paladin and that f'ing rocked. Not sure if I want the hassle of being a tank again, but then again it did mean I got into parties a lot!
  • Kafeen 27 Aug 2010 11:06:49 552 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The12thMonkey wrote:
    Open Beta starts 2am on Wednesday 1st September. It's an odd time because they're global servers and that's about 7 or 8pm West Coast time.

Also: new trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-dfDTruMQ

Servers are in Japan so its about 10am which makes perfect sense. Its just a crappy time for us.

I'm going to playing on Jecht, got a European LS already. There should be a decent amount of EU players on there if anyone else wants to join.
  • silentbob 27 Aug 2010 11:17:46 28,950 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hypercube wrote:
    @rodpad - there are many, many forum threads about the apparent weirdness of that benchmark! I think it's based on a beta build of the engine, and also that it's purposely loading a lot of resources for the scenes in order to test GPU memory n stuff as well.

I got 1600 @ 1920x1080 and 2800 @ 1280 x 720, but I've got an aging CPU and a GPU that is no longer the cutting edge it once was (8800 GTX). I'll either leave it as is and play in the lower resolution (which doesn't look half bad) or upgrade my GPU.
    Anyone runnign a dual GPU card like the 4870x2 - you need to download a hack to allow the benchmark to run full screen and thus actually use the second GPU. I got around 3000 once this was done.

Looks fairly pretty, I have to say I'm interested. Is the open beta just that, i.e. freely available keys if required?

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ZuluHero 31 Aug 2010 15:32:52 4,023 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woo! downloding the OB client. Getting 400b/s. Will be done by christmas!

Tried the .torrent route, but it kept getting corrupted, so it looks like I have to go the 'official' route :'(

Hope it picks up tonight and burns up the information super highway as at the moment its more like an information dirt track :)

EDIT: Oh and there is something wrong in this world when the upload is like a million times faster then the down... :(
  • Hypercube 31 Aug 2010 18:28:31 976 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sitting here, watching it "download" the version update files.

Slooooooooooooooow.
  • Red-Moose 31 Aug 2010 18:44:24 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was fast as he'll during the closed beta you goddam n00bs ;)
  • Page

of 20 First / Last