Final Fantasy XIV Online Thread

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 8 October 2009 12:10:12
    I thought this could do with being made as the game is going to be out relatively shortly barring delays. Is anyone looking forward to it? I think it has huge potential to succeed, so long as SE can learn from their mistakes with FFXI. Indications are that indeed they have, and recent gameplay videos showed off a gorgeous looking game.
    Personally as a former FFXI player I am lookng forward to this.
    I don't expect it to put a dent in WoW's market share but that doesn't concern me either, yet I wouldn't underestimate the potential of any game with those two famous words on the box, especially as there is still a massive market out there of gamers yet to play an mmo, and no other rpg franchise could hope have the same draw as FF. I am sure that this game will be profitable for SE just like FFXI has been over its many years, and as the 1UP article says, FFXI is probably one of gaming best kept secrets now, it is actually really good (doesn't forgive years of shiteness however).

The Official website is here, which is pretty nice and has the TGS 2009 trailer that I don't think EG even bothered posting (I might be wrong).

Also, this is pretty much the latest news on classes in the game.

This is a pretty recent preview also.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 28 Feb 2010 13:37:16 14,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Err, bumb

You can apply for the PC beta here. PS3 beta will come later.

(This was the only FF 14 thread I could find. Blame the search function not me if this has already been mentioned. :) )
  • TheStylishHobo 31 Mar 2010 19:29:02 3,193 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loved FFXIII but I'm not sure I like the look of this. Hopefully they'll have a demo of some sort so I can decide whether or not to buy it.
  • Gaol 31 Mar 2010 19:33:20 2,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Video loks pretty good in fairness. I hope they do language specific servers this time.
  • curtlikesmeat 31 Mar 2010 19:37:01 126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't see anything that particularly got me interested in that video, I guess I'll have to wait to see what direction they're trying to go in with the whole thing.

I did laugh when the commentators went "OOOOOOOOH CHOCOBO!!!".
  • TheStylishHobo 31 Mar 2010 19:42:25 3,193 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really? I know MMOs that have been out for a while often do free trials, but I always thought new ones generally didn't unless they're unknown to the point of obscurity. I'm still waiting for the Star Trek Online trial ]:
  • Futaba 31 Mar 2010 21:19:59 3,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to be totally addicted to XI, still undecided on getting this.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Hypercube 16 Jun 2010 19:10:56 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The FF XIV benchmark has been released and can be found here.

Just run it on my machine and scored approx 2.8K, which is apparently "Capable of running the game on default settings". I want more! Might be time for an upgrade.
  • Spectral 16 Jun 2010 19:51:30 4,949 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just got 1.3kish at 720p with a lot of tearing :( . What's your system spec Hypercube? Got a new CPU and RAM coming tomorrow so will give it another try then. I just hope the lack of performance is mostly down too my current CPU and not my graphics card(320MB 8800GTS).
  • Scimarad 16 Jun 2010 20:07:29 8,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember my computer (at the time) didn't have great performance with FFXI benchmark but it ran the game perfectly fine.
  • Scimarad 16 Jun 2010 21:14:29 8,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a 2122 on mine, though I was streaming an HD video on PS3 media server in the background;) The graph thing was all over the place for me though it seemed pretty smooth to my eyes. (E6600 + 8800GTS)

This was the lower of the 2 resolution settings BTW.
  • Hypercube 16 Jun 2010 21:38:57 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    I just got 1.3kish at 720p with a lot of tearing :( . What's your system spec Hypercube? Got a new CPU and RAM coming tomorrow so will give it another try then. I just hope the lack of performance is mostly down too my current CPU and not my graphics card(320MB 8800GTS).

I've got a duel core 2 CPU and a 750MB 8800 GTX. That was at the lower resolution. As Scimarad said, on FFXI I got an average benchmark but the game ran fine on my old PC.

It looks like a pretty cool engine, and I loved hearing the familiar FF music at the end ;)
  • Spectral 18 Jun 2010 22:05:38 4,949 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just retested it with my new CPU and get 2405 at 720p.
  • Futaba 23 Jun 2010 11:50:33 3,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember testing the FFXI one on my old PC and it getting a tiny amount over what was supposed to be the lowest to run it (I had 1050 I think).

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Hypercube 24 Jun 2010 17:01:31 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just noticed that on Play.com they have a release date of 10/09/2010 for FF XIV pre-orders (34.99).

While I would be super chuffed if that was the release date, that seems awfully close! Does anyone know when the closed beta actually started? If it indeed has started - I didn't get in :(

Edit: ShopTo has a date of 05/11/2010. That would probably seem more realistic to me.
  • Machetazo 30 Jun 2010 17:21:17 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Full details. Official date: PC - Sept 2010, PS3 March 2011, sub details, specs and more, through the link. Not PS3 details, though, they're on the way later.
  • ilmaestro 30 Jun 2010 21:39:14 32,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crikey, PS3 is way later than I expected. Will have to try this out on PC.

• silentbob 30 Jun 2010 21:43:47 28,919 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFXI was my first ever MMO, it was fiendishly addictive - especially considering just how basic it looks compared with the likes of WoW these days.

This looks interesting.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 18:23:47 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Collector's edition pre-ordered! I hope it's better than the Aion pre-order - that was a shitstorm...

More excited about this than any MMO of recent times, mainly due to my happy memories of FFXI. Roll on September!
  • ecureuil 1 Jul 2010 18:27:01 76,036 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm interested to see how this turns out. Apparently they fixed a lot of the issues with FFXI, those being the parts of the game that were virtually impossible (ie. all of it).
  • Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 18:39:38 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm interested to see how this turns out. Apparently they fixed a lot of the issues with FFXI, those being the parts of the game that were virtually impossible (ie. all of it).

lol, yes, in some places the difficulty curve was vertical! Oh, how I remember those evenings spent in the Valkurm Dunes ;)
  • Deleted user 1 July 2010 18:40:57
    Yeah they have ecu. If you could be arsed, and have the time. you should nab a trial of FFXI before this has launched and see how much it has changed. Its a hell of a lot easier now, and is actually, wait for it, fun. I never thought I would say those words.

Anyone know which places give the pre order bonus in the UK?
  • Hypercube 1 Jul 2010 18:49:06 976 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobJenx wrote:
    Anyone know which places give the pre order bonus in the UK?

Which bonus do you mean?
  • Deleted user 1 July 2010 18:51:24
    On the link below there is a hat and some glasses, I am confused which comes with the CE and which is a pre-order bonus :/

Also there is some FF13 code for another item, I am trying to scrounge that off someone who won't use it.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/
  • ecureuil 1 Jul 2010 18:58:20 76,036 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When I played FFXI, you couldn't do anything without having a complete group. It didn't help that the entire game was lopsided in terms of character variation (a vast majority of warriors). Not that I should complain, I picked warrior, too.

But since you needed a group to get anywhere, areas were just filled with groups standing around waiting for a white mage to appear. There were times when I'd spent two hours waiting for a mage to join, then gave up. Other times we'd get a white mage, then they'd leave after 10 minutes. When you had a full group and were organised, it was a really fun game, but I probably spent more time trying to find a group than actually playing. I also got kicked from groups many times for not having good enough equipment.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous