Next
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Cappy 25 Nov 2010 11:01:57 12,097 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rather an unfortunate title to have given such a game. There was something rather distasteful about that forceful assertion, epic. Most games would struggle to live up to such a monicker

Not Quite Epic Mickey.
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Nov 2010 11:12:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair to Middling Mickey.
  • mikew1985 25 Nov 2010 11:18:13 12,986 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do think it will, in general score 7 and above (in most cases solid 8's). I think the EG review will probably be a bit of an anomaly.

/prepares to be wrong
  • Murbs 25 Nov 2010 11:18:40 22,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Taking the?
  • Ochoraro 25 Nov 2010 12:00:18 110 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iīm very surprised too with the rating of Epic Mickey. As most of you, I expected more of Spectorīs new work. Sigh !!

Do you know he is a great-great fan of disney since he was young ??

And there goes another review, this time from Computers and Videogames 7.5/10
  • Tonka 25 Nov 2010 12:19:09 21,192 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been painting this in vivid colours in my mind. By the sounds of it the game is thinner than I expected. I need to brush up on my camera controlling skills.

Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men eh?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Cappy 25 Nov 2010 12:42:51 12,097 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps Okami would make a good alternative for people who still haven't bought it, it must be pretty cheap now and it has the interesting brush interaction part without the uncooperative camera and unfashionable platform kleptomania tagging along to drag things down.
  • RyanDS 25 Nov 2010 13:11:54 9,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I've been painting this in vivid colours in my mind. By the sounds of it the game is thinner than I expected. I need to brush up on my camera controlling skills.

Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men eh?

Well played sir.
  • trip919 27 Nov 2010 00:26:56 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is anyone playing this then or have people been deterred by some of the negative reviews? Put three hours into it tonight and it feels anachronistic in its design/layout. Iím hoping some of the much talked about ideas carve out a more unique identity.

The camera is a clear problem, continually nursing it wouldnít be such a chore if it didnít move so slowly - itís really unable to keep up with the action. The 2D levels are really short and end up feeling unsatisfying. So far there arenít many things to collect so thankfully it hasnít gone overboard in that respect (yet?). The whole turn enemies in to friends/foes seems pointless.

Regardless of all this, Iím enjoying it and hope the whole thinner/paint system is further developed into something more substantial that has a real bearing on the world. Itís still early doors in what is meant to be a fairly long game, so hopefully it will develop into something more than a half decent uninspiring platformer.
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Nov 2010 00:33:20 25,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I never really got the interest in this game. Always looked pretty average to me.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• trip919 27 Nov 2010 00:39:33 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The visuals never matched that jaw droppingly good artwork (in motion itís certainly a good looking game just not what I expected at the time) but I was always hopeful it would be a decent game.

I think Spectorís great and was hoping he could really bring something new to the table. He still might! (unusually optimistic!)
  • trip919 27 Nov 2010 16:50:05 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just put three and a half hours into this and my enthusiasm is starting to wane. So far it ultimately feels like a deeply old fashioned game that has a good idea (the thinner/paint system) but refuses to flesh it out in any meaningful way. You can restore lots of areas/things but when you go back they are exactly the same, it only really wants you to restore plot devices like bloody endless cogs/pipes Ė you donít feel youíre making any kind of impact in the world.

The 2D levels are plentiful and extremely short. It would have been far better to have fewer but make them longer and more substantial as it is these bite-size portions are just disposable. Mickey himself feels antiquated, you have a double jump and a frankly laughable spin move, (that while effective looks daft) - compared next to the portly plumber with his extensive range of moves in a world that calls for you to use them in extremely varied/imaginative ways just highlights the games many shortcomings.

But, Iím nearly seven hours into a 20 hour game and unless it starts to dramatically set out do something different then its been a disappointment.
  • trip919 27 Nov 2010 20:20:23 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Urgghhh. I am on the verge of throwing the towel in. The endless fetch quests, the way it forces you to go through the fucking same 2D level over and over to get to the world youíve already been to. The schizophrenic nature of letting you go back to certain levels but ruling others out entirely despite having unfinished quests. The fucking redundantly simplistic good/bad moral choices that seem to do fuck all Ė this from the man that made Deus Ex, one of the finest examples of choice and consequence.

BUT MORE, MORE, MY INNER MASOCHIST SCREAMS MORE. WHIRLY FUCKING COGS.

*GOES ON A THINNER RAMPAGE*
  • trip919 28 Nov 2010 17:50:01 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Read on the net that it could be finished in 12 hours so I decided to persevere as I was about ten hours in. Ended up finishing it in 13 and a half and all I can say is thank fuck thatís over with. I seriously couldnít put 20 hours into this. Thereís some terrible padding on the run up to the end that made me lose the will to live.

It boggles my mind that the guy behind: System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex could put a game like this out. Put against Mario 64 which was released in 96 and it still fails miserably. Itís truly an uninspired lazy embarrassing effort. That this was released in 2010 is genuinely laughable. I still think the concept was great, but ultimately a game canít coast on a great underdeveloped idea.
  • trip919 28 Nov 2010 17:58:38 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, I forgot to put something witty in regards to that hugely misleading title.

*EPIC SHIT*

I hope thatís witty enough.
  • figaro7 19 Dec 2010 20:37:08 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well ive only just started this, a couple of hours in and havent reached the mundane parts yet, its enjoyable at the start, but the controls are too loose, its no mario galaxy to be sure and the camera needs constant attention. I am enjoying the paint/thinner mechanic so i keep chugging along and see how i go.
  • figaro7 21 Dec 2010 21:29:10 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About 6 hours in now and theres been a few fetch quests that make you go why am i doing this? Already over the 2d parts, really no point to them other than create a distraction from the main game. Having said that theres some good imagination thrown into the main game but the fetch quests, loose controls and camera still hamper the experience.
  • figaro7 24 Dec 2010 05:52:41 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Game completed in a tick over 11 hours and ive come to the quick conclusion that epic mickey is a game that could have been outstanding but falls short in a few key areas.

The camera is never as bad as its made out, yes there are a few times where it does its own thing but on the whole its decent, if you take the time to control it. The biggest problem for epic mickey is that its a 3d platformer/adventure with a shooting mechanic mapped to the pointer which requires almost the precision of a FPS. For the camera to work flawlessly it would have to be in First persion perspective or an over the shoulder 3d shooter setup.

After the fetch quest the game definately improves with the later sections such as the pirate area of ventureland and bog easy. Unfortunately the end drags on a little and the game forces you to visit previous towns and while it ties in well with the story, from a gameplay perspective it wasnt necessary.

^ I do agree that not being able to revisit certain areas after completion is a bummer and does shoehorn you into doing everything in your initial playthrough of an area.
    By nature in a 3d platformer you should be able to revisit every area and explore at your will, this has been the norm for years and yet epic mickey defies it, cant say im not disappointed in that regard. A lot of said quests do involve going to areas your still able visit after completion, but its not enough to make up for the lack of exploration in all areas.

The good/bad choices are quite small i thought, really only presenting themselves in the actual ending of the game. There was one great moment that stuck out though, i free'd one of the little guys and in a later area he almost wiped out my whole objective, making progress a cakewalk. In another he solved an entire puzzle that i really didnt have a clue what what to do.

Little things such as turning your enemies into friends and letting them battle for you makes epic mickey a more pleasent experience.

Others like the designs of some areas and artwork are fantastic i thought, really out there in a rayman 2/3 type of way.

The painter/thinner mechanic didnt really get old either, thinning out houses, anything to find some secret chest or painting a platfrom to get to a chest, while basic, was always rewarding.

Anyway ive blabbered enough, definately a marmite game, fortunately i found myself on the enjoyable end.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Jan 2011 16:18:54 5,395 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am usually the kind of person who preserves with games and give them a couple of chances but honestly, I am just not enjoying Epic Mickey at all.

I love the paint mechanics (surprisingly joyful at times) but the structure of the game itself is so poor. Mickey's adventure is a fetch quest more or less throughout the three hours I have put into it so far and the amount of whirly-cogs as trip919 nicely described is ridiculous.

This could have been a brilliant game but with an erratic camera, poorly paced repetitive quests and unfortunately being quite joyless to play, Epic Mickey is a very forgettable experience.

Thankfully, I have Donkey Kong Country Returns to start... Hooray!
  • K-Project 9 Jan 2011 16:43:24 373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I understand the criticisms of the game, I really do, but I'm still enjoying the game. It's a bit (a little bit) like Shenmue I suppose (not Mickey as a game but my feelings towards it). On the face of it you can say wholeheartedly that Shenmue is a shit game. Nothing happens. There's a bunch of fetch quests and some absolutely pointless and hysterical dialogue, and a lovely jaunt around Japan that makes up the "game" such as it is. However, I still loved every single moment of Shenmue because it was so evocative and personal, and somehow games have felt a little lifeless and lacking in comparison since it's passing.

Now obviously Epic Mickey can't quite command those feelings from me like Shenmue did, but I still find its atmosphere and setting such a delight, and just fun to be in. I agree with many of you about the mechanics of it and the fetch this and that etc, but I'm still getting a great deal from it overall, and I've very nearly completed it. Just me I suppose.
  • figaro7 9 Jan 2011 20:32:52 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do agree the pacing is off at times, the start of the game you wonder whats going on until you reach the hub world and then it resorts to giving you a fetch quest just to get where your going. Its as if the developers made these fetch quests just to get you to explore and experiment with the paint/thinner mechanic. I still enjoyed it but it wasnt without its shortcomings.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2012 20:02:04 11,734 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only just started this but very impressed technically, looks amazing for a Wii game..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next